dboss
tjmakz
worcester
bobc33
sinus007
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC Empty Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:45 am

(and elsewhere Kevin O'Conner notes that Cs are only team on list w/room for 2 max contracts.)

Durant’s representatives at Roc Nation are working to solidify invitations with the Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Thunder, league sources said.
The meetings are expected to take place in New York, but teams are still awaiting word on a location.

The Thunder remain the frontrunners to re-sign Durant, likely on a one-plus-one-year deal that will allow Durant to return to free agency in the summer of 2017, league sources said. But more than any other rival suitor, the Warriors have Durant's attention, league sources said.

Durant’s public and private criteria for the free-agent selection process have pertained to a singular focus: the chance to win titles immediately.

Several teams that have interest in Durant – the Denver Nuggets, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and Washington Wizards – could still find audiences with him, but appear to be outsiders in the process now.

Durant is planning to leave on a publicity tour in the Far East on July 9, and a decision is expected before the departure date, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kd-planning-to-host-free-agent-meetings-at-single-site-164954322.html

arambone

Back to top Go down

Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC Empty Re: Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:31 am

I didn't realize SA was in the mix. Why do I think Pop will somehow get him to sign and extend the Spurs dynasty another 10 yrs. San Antonio is only an hour or two from UT Austin.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC Empty Re: Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:39 am

Well, at least we made the first cut. Danny still has to make it rain with a trade or free agency signing to make it to the 2nd round.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 am

Remember the day after OKC got eliminated, and Durant's agent gave Boston a list of the players Boston should sign if it wanted to have a chance with Durant?

If Boston is the only team among the Final 6 that can actually sign another max guy in addition to Durant, that could give Boston an edge.

Like, if Durant wanted to play with Al Horford (I don't know who was on that list), then only Boston could make it happen.

Boston MIGHT have a real inside track here, if there's a top free agent that Durant wants to play with. This scenario would also allow Durant to feel like he played a major role in shaping the team around him, kind of like how LeBron basically traded Wiggins for Kevin Love.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi,
If it's not a dog-n-pony show, Celtics have a good chance.
The most probable teams is, of course, GSW. There KD gets 3 high fly players: Splash brothers and DG. On the minus side he's not going to be "da man" there.
Then, I'd put LAC. KD will also get 3 stars there.
Among 4 remaining teams Celtics have the best chance, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Only way he can land on the Clippers is if OKC sign-and-trades Durant for Blake or something. they don't have the room to sign him outright.

But Blake is from Oklahoma, Durant would be doing OKC a favor by getting them something, and Durant would be able to go to a nice city like LA.

If he's smart he'll realize that Doc is a lousy GM and it's not worth it.

I don't see Durant joining OKC because it would really hurt his reputation. Joining the Spurs wouldn't hurt his reputation as much, because the Spurs aren't quite as dominant as the Clippers in recent years (despite regular season excellence).

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 pm

arambone wrote:Remember the day after OKC got eliminated, and Durant's agent gave Boston a list of the players Boston should sign if it wanted to have a chance with Durant?

If Boston is the only team among the Final 6 that can actually sign another max guy in addition to Durant, that could give Boston an edge.

Like, if Durant wanted to play with Al Horford (I don't know who was on that list), then only Boston could make it happen.

Boston MIGHT have a real inside track here, if there's a top free agent that Durant wants to play with. This scenario would also allow Durant to feel like he played a major role in shaping the team around him, kind of like how LeBron basically traded Wiggins for Kevin Love.

arambone,

That's all true but there could be a hitch and that is Kevin Durant is the linchpin.  Just as everybody waited until after LeBron decided where he was going to sign (both times) there will be players waiting to see where KD signs.  Danny needs a commitment from Horford (or whomever) BEFORE he meets with Durant and that might be tough to get since they will be waiting on Durant.  We might have a timing issue.  A way around that might be as simple as asking Hassan Whiteside "if you don't want to sign with us without Kevin Durant, would you change your mind and sign with us if we get Kevin Durant?"  If the answer is "yes", then tell KD that and let him call the player and confirm that for himself.

I have friends who are Laker fans and the Laker twittersphere is running wild with rumors about LeBron and KD, and Westbrook the year after this.  I have no idea where Durant will end up, my gut says he's staying in OKC, but I think it says something about how far we've come and the respect we are garnering from the top free agent available that we are on the short list of teams he will even meet with.  

And who are our competitors?  GSW.  QUITE a formidable team, no back-to-back championships notwithstanding.  San Antonio.  Probably the class of the league, with the #1 coach in the league.  Miami.  I don't see that happening, personally.  DWade is 34 years old.  Bosh has serious recurring health issues (and is 32 years old).  They are struggling to find the money to keep Whiteside.  How are they going to afford Whiteside and Durant?  We, on the other hand, can afford both of them.  The Clippers.  Another very good team, but their projected salary next year is $78M.  How would they add a max contract worth of Durant salary and stay anywhere near the $94M cap?  Durant, with 9 years experience, has a max contract of $25.9M (Unless the way it's calculated is what his upcoming contract year would be, then he would have 10 years experience and the max is $30.2M).  And OKC.  Durant could stay in OKC for one more year, until he gets that 10th year of experience and then go for the long term deal.  Of course, everybody else could offer that too, offer him the $25.9M max on a 1-year deal and then re-sign him next year @ $30.9M for the longterm.

Let's be honest here.  Did any of us really think 3 years ago, after we traded away Pierce and KG and brought in a college coach for a major rebuild effort, that's we'd good enough to be one of only 6 teams to get on the short list of the #1 free agent? We've come a long way, baby.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:41 pm

I"m not getting my hopes up too high about Durant. I also don't think he handles the pressure of the playoffs very well. His energy was negative on the bench when that GSW series was on the line, right when OKC needed him the most to be positive.

And Durant's ball stopping and isolation play in end of game situations has been a significant factor in a whole lot of OKC losses.

How would a ball stopper fit into the Celtics' system?

Best part about the Celtics is you never know who will take the last shot, or any shot for that matter.

It would still be great to get Durant, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of reasons not to sweat it if we don't. Perhaps the biggest reason not to sweat it would be avoiding getting stuck with a second max contract that didn't work out well. Somebody like Dwight (injuries, attitude) Whiteside (attitude, Mark Blount effect), or Horford (injuries, age) could really cripple our cap flexibility if they didn't work out. And Durant has more than his share of injury concerns as well.

As you might guess, I think merely adding Jaylen Brown, Zizic, and one decent free agent big (Or re-signing Sully to a 1 or 2 year deal) will make this team a 55 win team NEXT year.

And if that doesn't guarantee a championship NEXT year, boo hoo.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:41 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4723407/pitch-perfect-celtics-could-make-strong-case-to-kevin-durant

Pitch perfect: Celtics could make strong case to Kevin Durant

7:50 AM PT

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

If Boston Celtics fans were disappointed with the lack of a big-splash trade on draft night, it was maybe for this reason only: By not adding more established NBA talent, the Celtics seemingly failed to bolster their recruiting pitch for potential free agents looking for a surefire championship contender.

But make no mistake, there's no shortage of positives surrounding this Celtics team. And part of the reason that Boston was hesitant to make a move on draft night was to maintain the sort of financial flexibility that would allow the team to make the strongest pitch possible to free agents like Kevin Durant.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported Saturday that the Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, and incumbent Oklahoma City Thunder would be the first three teams to meet with Durant when free agency opens on July 1. The Vertical reported that Durant's reps were working to solidify invitations from other teams, including the Celtics.

Boston president of basketball operations Danny Ainge wouldn't take the bait when asked about free agency on Friday. Ainge said he couldn't talk specifics, but pressed on what his team needs, Ainge said, "Good players. We need help. We need some good players. And we have a lot of really good players. But, yeah, some more good players."

Durant is the obvious prize of an otherwise underwhelming 2016 free-agent class. The Celtics might not necessarily be the sort of obvious title contender that teams like the Warriors, Spurs, and Thunder are at the moment, but adding Durant would definitely move Boston neck-and-neck with the champion Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference.

Boston's sales pitch to Durant could include:

Durant seems to have list of 6 teams he will interview with in NYC I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0625%2Fr95920_1296x729_16%2D9
The Celtics might not be the favorite to add Kevin Durant, but they have the assets to be an enticing option for this offseason's top free-agent target. AP Photo/Michael Dwyer

• Up-and-coming team: With 39-year-old Brad Stevens and his new long-term deal at the controls, these Celtics won 48 games and competed for a top spot in the East last season. Isaiah Thomas elevated to All-Star status, and Boston thrived behind an affordable and intriguing young core that includes the likes of Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, and Marcus Smart. Players like Thomas remain adamant that Boston is just one player away from being a legitimate contender.

• Cap space: The Celtics have a nine-man core signed to less than $34 million in guaranteed salary for next season. Thanks to draft-and-stash possibilities, Boston is unlikely to dent too much salary despite making six picks in Thursday's draft, and that leaves Boston with enough cap space to pursue two max-contract free agents this summer. The biggest part of Boston's pitch would be: Pick a friend to join you here. If Durant wants to play with fellow free agent Al Horford, the Celtics can sign both (and still have enough cash left to fill out their roster with the sort of capable role players that every title contender needs). If Durant prefers a star already on another roster, the Celtics have the assets to try to pry that player free.

• Sustainability: Some of the surefire title contenders might be able to create enough room to add Durant this summer, but their ability to continue adding talent -- or simply keep their stars -- further down the road would be compromised by their salary bloat. The Celtics have positioned themselves for long-term flexibility. And that's further aided by Boston's ridiculous draft-pick treasure chest. The Celtics can pitch Durant that, not only would Boston be an immediate title contender with him, but that they might also have the No. 1 pick in each of the next two drafts (if the Brooklyn Nets are slow to rebuild). There will be a steady influx of talent -- or at least tradable assets -- to ensure Boston remains competitive throughout the length of Durant's next contract.

• The tradition: Durant already gushed about the Celtics' tradition when the Thunder played here in March. Bringing banner No. 18 to Boston would cement his legacy as a player and make him a legend in these parts. If the Celtics were smart, they'd get other area sports stars like Tom Brady and David Ortiz to relay what it's like to have this city in the palm of your hand. If nothing else, he's got all those free crab legs promised by Legal Sea Foods.

Is that enough to compete with the likes of the Spurs or Warriors? That depends on what makes Durant tick. But Thomas, who has raved about playing in Boston, is adamant that the Celtics have a real chance to land Durant.

"We definitely have a shot [at recruiting Durant]. I know that for sure," Thomas said earlier this week on Sirius XM NBA radio. "And I’m just trying to reach out when I can and stay in his ear a little bit here and there. I know it’s a tough time for him because everybody’s probably trying to reach out and get him to go where they want him to go. But my relationship with him is real genuine, and hopefully I can get him to come to Boston and we can bring banner 18 here."

Truth be told, just getting a meeting with Durant would be a win for the Celtics. That would be the surest sign yet that star players are taking notice of what's happening in Boston. And even if Durant ultimately elects to stay in Oklahoma City or pursue a different challenge elsewhere, then other star players might think, "If Kevin Durant is considering Boston, maybe I should, too."

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm still sticking with my original thought that he's staying in OKC, at least for one more year, but Forsberg makes a good point I think.  Just making this short list is a statement from the top free agent this year that we have arrived.  I like that GSW, Spurs and OKC are going first.  That gives Danny more time to make it rain with a blockbuster trade or other super free agent.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Not sure what the format of these "meetings" will be, but I really like the idea of Durant sitting and talking with Danny, and especially Brad, about all things Celtics basketball and more for an extended period of time.

In addition to the Brady and Ortiz angle roll out a couple of famous Celtics of yesteryear, though I guess Larry Jo and KG both aren't available for recruitment efforts.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:59 am

Durant is a very good flawed player, I don't think he has the balls or intangibles of a young Paul Pierce, even though he has better scoring stats. With a 3-1 lead he couldn't put the finishing touch on a series that was begging for him to step up and he had 3 chances and was playing with a 13 point lead in game 6. He doesn't get to the line enough and wheres the big clutch shots on his resume? does he have any? His 3 point game even disappeared during the playoffs.

I say pass, we can build up this team through the draft and we still have 2 great lottery level picks in the next 2 years, we already have a dynamic young backcourt. I'm starting to like our picks, were a 48 win team that is still so young, all our players are on the upswing and we can get more prime young talent.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:25 am

Why would KD pass on nearly $30 M in income and then pay extra taxes by moving to CA or MA? Either he stays in OKC or he signs with SA since Texas is a no personal income tax state. He does care about the money, and his agent REALLY cares about the money.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:05 am

We definitely are unique in what we have to offer KD. It's not GSW or SAS or even OKC. We just have a different pitch. The question is, is that what KD wants? I believe we are right to assume there is his short list of players he'd want to play with to make a move and we have to make that move or promise it if that what it will take to get him here. But all the others above have those players in place and he would just be an add-on, and an add-on to an instant trip to the Finals. Here, he would still be the bigger and better deal.

Again, July 1st in just around the corner. So far whoever said we were taking Jaylen Brown is the only one correct in trying to guess Danny's next move. I never thought he would have kept all those draft picks but he did. We'll see his next move shortly on the 1st. No summer vacation for Danny.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:11 pm

worcester wrote:Why would KD pass on nearly $30 M in income and then pay extra taxes by  moving to CA or MA? Either he stays in OKC or he signs with SA since Texas is a no personal income tax state. He does care about the money, and his agent REALLY cares about the money.

Great post. He also went to college at Texas. I also hear it doesn't snow 7 months a year in Texas.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Any enchantment Durant might feel about Boston is basically matched by the Spurs franchise. Great coach, great front office, lots of championships, even more ready to win championships than Boston.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:20 pm

It has just been announced that Durant has agreed to meet with the Knicks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Another wasted trip. Maybe he's accumulating Frequent Flyer miles. Does he want to play backup to Kristin Porzingis? Share the ball with Melo? Downgrade from Westbrook to Rose? Or could it be that since he'll be in NYC anyways for an Olympics meeting, he might as well stop by the Knicks office to drive the NYC fans crazy?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:55 pm

worcester wrote:Another wasted trip. Maybe he's accumulating Frequent Flyer miles. Does he want to play backup to Kristin Porzingis? Share the ball with Melo? Downgrade from Westbrook to Rose? Or could it be that since he'll be in NYC anyways for an Olympics meeting,  he might as well stop by the Knicks office to drive the NYC fans crazy?

worcester,

He's interviewing every team in NY, so he's already there. He's friends with DRose and Melo, who are begging him for a shot. The Knicks salary is $55M and that's only for 5 players. If they give Durant $27M, that takes them up to $83M, the cap is $94M and then they would have 6 players under contract. That leaves them $11M to sign 8 players.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:25 pm

THEN NOT A WASTED TRIP. He's multi-tasking.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:22 pm

The Thunder trade with the Magic was a clear indication that they needed at add a third scorer.  Will this help them to retain Durant?

If so will they be an overall better team since Serge was the heart and soul of what little defense that they played.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:34 pm

I want Whiteside

C Whiteside
PF Zizic KO
SF Brown Crowder
SG AB Smart
PG IT Smart Rozier

that team is gonna win 60 plus games, we don't need Durant

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:35 pm

I even included KO to make you all happy.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:36 pm

trust me even if we don't get Whiteside we still are NOT getting Durant

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:46 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I even included KO to make you all happy.

Cow,

I'll bet that hurt.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Durant very likely to stay with OKC.

They can retain him and still add a high profile vet.  Problem is that they now need a PF that can rebound and defend and maybe give them 10 PPG.

Not a lot of positional options there in free agency so they probably need to make another trade. I would suspect that the Thunder got the green light from Durant to move Serge.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next