gyso
swish
willjr
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Article on Philly.com - Page 2 Empty Re: Article on Philly.com

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:05 am

I still think reports of the Sixers desire to trade Okafor are of a dubious nature, even coming from a Philadelphia source.

If they really wanted to unload him, or any other front-court player, wouldn't reports have surfaced about other teams being interested? Especially teams willing to pony up more established players in trade?

I think this is just one that got stuck in the rumor mill.

If I'm wrong, however, give 'em the Nets pick next year in the deal, because that's what it's going to take.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:47 am

NYCelt wrote:I still think reports of the Sixers desire to trade Okafor are of a dubious nature, even coming from a Philadelphia source.

If they really wanted to unload him, or any other front-court player, wouldn't reports have surfaced about other teams being interested?  Especially teams willing to pony up more established players in trade?

If I'm wrong, however, give 'em the Nets pick next year in the deal, because that's what it's going to take.

NYCelt
"If I'm wrong, however, give 'em the Nets pick next year in the deal, because that's what it's going to take.[/quote]"

I agree with your above statement - especially since we will still have their number 1 pick in 2018 - and because he comes at a very low salary hit of only an average of 5.4 mil over the next 3 years - which leaves the potential to have considerable cap space available to add future free agents.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:08 am

swish wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I still think reports of the Sixers desire to trade Okafor are of a dubious nature, even coming from a Philadelphia source.

If they really wanted to unload him, or any other front-court player, wouldn't reports have surfaced about other teams being interested?  Especially teams willing to pony up more established players in trade?

NYCelt
"If I'm wrong, however, give 'em the Nets pick next year in the deal, because that's what it's going to take.
"

I agree with your above  statement - especially since we will still have their number 1 pick in 2018 -  and because he comes at a very low salary hit of only an average of 5.4 mil over the next 3 years - which leaves the potential to have considerable cap space available to add future free agents.

swish[/quote]

PS

My thoughts on the trading of the Nets pick would change drastically, if for example, the consensus of the leagues general mangers was that the Nets pick would bring the Celts a player of super star quality - like Bird, Magic, Shaq, Duncan, James, etc.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_211.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Jahlil Okafor offers from Boston are minimal, per report

Article on Philly.com - Page 2 20791045-mmmain
The Boston Celtics reportedly are not offering much for Philadelphia 76ers big man Jahlil Okafor (in grey). (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

on July 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM, updated July 22, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Don't expect the Boston Celtics trade rumors for Jahlil Okafor to die down any time soon, but according to a report from the Philadelphia Inquirer, don't expect much traction either, unless the Philadelphia 76ers are trying very hard to get rid of their young big man.

From Keith Pompey:

Word out of Boston is that the Celtics will not give up much for the 6-foot-11, 257-pounder.

They have concerns about his playing in the city after being involved in two street fights there in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning. Nor do they like the fact that the center saw a gun pointed at his head in Old City and that he was stopped for going 108 mph over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Okafor is a divisive player for Celtics fans — many would have been happy to see Boston trade the No. 3 overall pick for him, seeing the enormous rookie as the type of star big man Boston has been lacking (before they acquired Al Horford).

Other fans, however, see Okafor's deficiencies on the defensive end as a major problem — he's not the type of big man who can switch and disrupt pick-and-rolls, and he isn't quick or aware enough to be a reliable rim protector. On offense, his post play is admirable and extremely advanced for his age, but he isn't the type of big man that would seemingly be successful in Brad Stevens' system.

Still, the Celtics have a ton of assets, and Philadelphia is highly motivated to move Okafor, so in some ways, the two teams make sense for each other ... unless Boston isn't willing to field a reasonable offer. That seems to be the case — Danny Ainge knows how low Okafor's value is around the league, both because the Sixers have no leverage and because his first season in Philadelphia was so tumultuous.

So what is Ainge offering for Okafor? It's difficult to tell. The Sixers certainly aren't getting a Nets pick, and they likely aren't getting Jaylen Brown — if Ainge didn't make that move on draft night, there's really no reason for him to make it now. The Celtics have a lot of young players, but only one — Terry Rozier — has much trade value at this point, and the Celtics are likely to need Rozier this season to help fill in for the loss of Evan Turner in free agency. That leaves R.J. Hunter, James Young and the rights to this year's rookie class, and while Celtics fans love Guerschon Yabusele, he's unlikely to be the lynchpin in a deal for last year's No. 3 overall pick.

In other words, Ainge is not likely to be offering much, and the 76ers are probably smart from holding off on a deal. They need to clear some space on their front line, but giving up Okafor for nothing would essentially be throwing an entire season of semi-intentional losing down the drain, which would probably feel pretty devastating to an already beaten-down fan base. That would not be a good look.

Either way, it seems pretty unlikely that Ainge will ever come forward with a real offer for Okafor. Presumably, the Sixers won't relent either. We'll see if this goes anywhere, but don't bet too much on it.

bob
MY NOTE:   "giving up Okafor for nothing would essentially be throwing an entire season of semi-intentional losing down the drain".  Semi-intentional?  That's hedging in a very tight space.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 pm

I think Boston fans should put Okafor in the rear view mirror and move on.
Danny wants to steal him and Philly is in no hurry to trade him.
The talks about trading the Nets picks seems crazy for many reasons.
Boston is hoping they will be top 5 picks.
Other teams know they could be top 5 or 8 or 12.
I would be shocked to see either pick traded until we know where they will land.
Philly won't trade Okafor and Saric together unless it's for a huge package.
I think many will be surprised to see how good Saric is.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:08 pm

no way I would trade NEXT years Nets pick (that we can swap out pick for).

the 2018 pick, YES.

but not next years.

The draft next year may be one of the best in a long time, so getting a top 5 pick is worth keeping unless its for a young star on a good deal ( for me that's Cousins or someone like him).

now the pick in 2018, that would be one I'd be willing move to the right player.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 pm

I agree, I would part with the '18 pick because by then how many rookies are they going to be able to have or first/second year players. Somewhere down the road the Celtics are going to need to sign another veteran star. Who, I do not know, but it needs to take place

I wonder if they signed Green to take the place of Turner? Not quite a replacement but..will he fill that slot??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2