kdp59
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Tyler Zeller Re-Signed Empty Tyler Zeller Re-Signed

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:35 am

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach 2 minutes ago
Tyler Zeller's deal with the Celtics is two-years, second year non-guaranteed. Same setup as Jerebko/Amir had this year, source says.

Reply Retweet Like

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 8 minutes ago
The Celtics have agreed to guaranteed deals w/Gerald Green, Tyler Zeller, & Demetrius Jackson & partial guarantee w/Ben Bentil, source says.

Reply Retweet Like

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 5 minutes ago
League source says right now, R.J. Hunter, James Young, Ben Bentil and John Holland are in position to fight for the final roster spot.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE:  NOT Abdel Nader?  That's surprising.  Hunter has the inside track, I think, but I would not have expected Demetrius Jackson to get a contract and not Nader.  Jackson didn't look that good in SL.  He definitely had a loose handle.  Of course, the "guarantee" might be for just $25k, to tie them over until camp, and not for the season.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tyler Zeller Re-Signed Empty Re: Tyler Zeller Re-Signed

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Steve Bulpett
@SteveBHoop about 12 minutes ago
Per sources, Gerald Green to get 1 yr deal at vet minimum (little more than $1.4 million); Zeller 2 yrs at $8 mil per, only 1st guaranteed.

Reply Retweet Like

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 14 minutes ago
The terms of Demetrius Jackson's contract with the Celtics are still being finalized, including length. But it'll be a guaranteed deal.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm

wouldn't Jackson be the 16th player with a guaranteed deal?

or is Mickeys' deal non guaranteed?

I have:

Horford
Zeller
Amir
Mickey- fully guaranteed?
Kelly
Jerebko
Crowder
Brown
Green
Bradley
Smart
Thomas
Rozier
Hunter
Young
Jackson

Bentil- partial guarantee, meaning he will be at Maine to me.
Holland- no guarantee and no chance of a roster spot.
Nader- now has to leapfrog over TWO players to earn a spot...unlikely.

of course Danny could still make a two for one trade.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Adam Himmelsbach
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 10 minutes ago
Per source, the Celtics are still aggressively trying to make trades. Today's agreements do not mean that they're done for the summer.

Reply Retweet Like

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 9 minutes ago
Regarding summer star Abdel Nader, several options being discussed, including D-League, but the Celtics are fans.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm

kdp59 wrote:wouldn't Jackson be the 16th player with a guaranteed deal?

or is Mickeys' deal non guaranteed?

I have:

Horford
Zeller
Amir
Mickey- fully guaranteed?
Kelly
Jerebko
Crowder
Brown
Green
Bradley
Smart
Thomas
Rozier
Hunter
Young
Jackson

Bentil- partial guarantee, meaning he will be at Maine to me.
Holland- no guarantee and no chance of a roster spot.
Nader- now has to leapfrog over TWO players to earn a spot...unlikely.

of course Danny could still make a two for one trade.

kdp,

I don't mean to be a killjoy here but, I've said this before and I'll say it again, Danny is fully aware of what the size of the roster must be by the end of the pre-season. I will bet anybody, any amount, that by the cut-down date comes we will have no more than 15 players with NBA (not D-league or international) contracts on the roster.

Contracts may be guaranteed, but not necessarily guaranteed for a whole year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:10 pm

yeah, I know Bob.

I was just making sure I had the players and contracts right....today.

It seems to be too much smoke out there as far as a trade for one to not happen, IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 pm

kdp59 wrote:yeah, I know Bob.

I was just making sure I had the players and contracts right....today.

It seems to be too much smoke out there as far as a trade for one to not happen, IMO.

kdp,

I think you're right.  The certainty of it goes up as the details of these signings become known, such as "What is guaranteed in Jackson's contract?  How much and, much more importantly, how long?  Is it guaranteed for the entire year?".

I think you've got the contracts that are guaranteed correct.  I suppose James Young could be bought out and that would solve that too.  Suppose a player refuses to be bought out, suppose they insist on being on the team?  Long-range stupid but maybe short-term smart if they can prove something to the coaches and earn some minutes.  I think James Young being in the last year of his contract and playing so poorly that coach Jamie Young didn't want to put him in in the final game's crunch time is the writing on the wall for him.  I hope so.  I've been beating the drum that he needs to be traded or cut for so long and so much I'm practically Buddy Rich now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:55 am

From what I'm reading, as of 7:24 A.M. on 7/24 (sometimes things like that actually happen, like going to the supermarket and buying a bunch of stuff and have the total bill come out to exactly $38.00), the Celtics have agreed to a 2 year $16M contract with Zeller with the 2nd year being a team option (so a similarly structured, but smaller, deal than Amir's) but it has not been signed yet.

Negotiated and agreed to, but not yet signed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that, maybe the reason why it hasn't been signed is because it's the weekend and it'll finalize on Monday or Tuesday, but perhaps the reason why it hasn't been finalized is because it could be a sign-and-trade and so timing is important?  Once a player is actually signed there is a waiting period before he can be traded but Danny can own Zeller's rights as an RFA, negotiate a price that works (on several fronts) and can make that conditional to it being part of something?

Danny said "we're not done yet".  Was he really talking about Gerald Green and re-signing a RFA that he had already picked up the option on?  

There are articles saying that there are "no big deals on the immediate horizons" but that could change very quickly.  Nobody knew either Ray Allen's or KG's deals were "on the immediate horizon" until they were announced.  A lot the big deals that have been talked about publicly (i.e. Griffin, Westbrook, Okafor, Butler) already have some structure to them.  Danny and the opposing GM have already talked about what each wants, they just don't agree or they aren't ready to make the decision.  If, for example, Danny called up Colangelo in Philly and said "ok, you can have the Nets pick for Okafor" that deal would happen so fast we'd all be sent flying off our bar stools from centrifugal force.  Same thing if Danny were to agree to throw Crowder into the deal for Butler.  There are already frameworks in place for those deals.

We have 18 guaranteed and partially-guaranteed contracts and Yabusele and Zizic, draft-and-stashers who would be easy to get off that list, are not among those 18.  Danny is aware of the roster limit of 15.

Here's another thought:  Danny extended a qualifying offer to Zeller to make him "restricted" in the amount of $3.7M.  The down-side of a qualifying offer is that, after next year, he becomes UFA.  Is Danny really that worried that Tyler Zeller might become UNrestricted?  And yet, despite being able to control Zeller's future with a $3.7M one-year contract, Danny decides instead to give him an $8M one-year contract with the option of giving him another $8M next year.  Why give him such a big raise when he didn't need to?  Zeller had 25 Coach's-DNPs last year.  He's not that critical a piece.  Sully is getting $5.6M or so from Toronto.  Danny is giving Zeller 50% more and Sully, for all his weight and conditioning issues, logged 1200 more minutes last year than Zeller (710 vs 1915).  My point?  Danny is paying a lot more money for a less important, and more limited, player.  Why?

Not done.  I'm going to say right now he's not done.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 pm

astute analysis bob, even without an oven thermometer
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 pm

worcester wrote:astute analysis bob, even without an oven thermometer

worcester,

Thanks.

Another twist to this is something that I didn't read until after I wrote this, and that's the Portland Trailblazer's "payback is a bitch, baby" handling of how they matched Alan Crabbe's offer from the Nets. Apparently there is an unspoken rule among NBA GMs that you don't step on another GM's poncho by trying to sign away on of their RFAs with a bid that has poison pills in it like Sean Marks of Brooklyn did with Portland's Alan Crabbe and Miami's Tyler Johnson.

That explains why nobody made an offer to either Sully or Zeller when they were restricted, but signed Sully within 24 hours after he was waived/released. Once Danny let him go he was fair game but, until then, the niceties were abided by.

Zeller gets an offer from Danny for more than double what he could have had him for? That doesn't sound like Danny. He signed Crowder to a ridiculously good deal, he didn't just throw extra money at him just because he is worth it, which he is. Is Tyler Zeller worth more money than Jae Crowder? No.

Danny is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Trying to figure out what and why he does things is entertaining but chancy at best.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Nader clearly earned a roster spot over Young, Hunter, Jackson and Bentil. 

The problem is two of those guys have guaranteed salaries from their 1st rd draft slots and the other two are younger guys with more upside and they also both showed themselves to be better last season in college than they did in the SL and then Nader was as a 5th year senior. 

Young is probably a lost cause at this point for all I care. But I think 15-20 teams would snatch up either Jackson or Bentil as their 15th man if they were cut, while only a handful might take Nader. Considering the praise Ainge has heaped on him and the fact that he drafted him when few expected his name would be called at all, I think Nader might be willing to spurn some crummy team's 15th roster spot for an assignment in Portland, showing loyalty to DA, if he is decently compensated. He'd likely be told it'd be a battle between him and Hunter next season for the role Gerald Green will have this season. Green is 31 and on a one year deal so the opportunity is there.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Ram wrote:Nader clearly earned a roster spot over Young, Hunter, Jackson and Bentil. 

The problem is two of those guys have guaranteed salaries from their 1st rd draft slots and the other two are younger guys with more upside and they also both showed themselves to be better last season in college than they did in the SL and then Nader was as a 5th year senior. 

Young is probably a lost cause at this point for all I care. But I think 15-20 teams would snatch up either Jackson or Bentil as their 15th man if they were cut, while only a handful might take Nader. Considering the praise Ainge has heaped on him and the fact that he drafted him when few expected his name would be called at all, I think Nader might be willing to spurn some crummy team's 15th roster spot for an assignment in Portland, showing loyalty to DA, if he is decently compensated. He'd likely be told it'd be a battle between him and Hunter next season for the role Gerald Green will have this season. Green is 31 and on a one year deal so the opportunity is there.
I don`t see Jackson`s utility unless Rozier is gone in a trade
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Ram,

Nobody is going to play in the DLeague for $35K when they can sign a guaranteed NBA contract with another team for half a million dollars per.  Nobody.

A promise of a chance to compete for a roster spot next year?  No sir.  If any team offers Nader a NBA contract and all Danny offers is the DLeague, Nader is going to take the money.  Even with the additional cash he may get for training camp, an NBA contract is a whole order of magnitude greater than anything Danny can offer.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down