arambone
wideclyde
jrleftfoot
NYCelt
swish
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Weight training in the modern NBA. - Page 2 Empty Re: Weight training in the modern NBA.

Post by gyso Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Swish,

It may seem like a nit-pick, but perhaps it is closer to replacing a hollow-core door with a solid oak door and using the same hinges.

The hinges remain the constant but the type and weight of the door change.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Weight training in the modern NBA. - Page 2 Empty Re: Weight training in the modern NBA.

Post by swish Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:44 pm

gyso wrote:Swish,

It may seem like a nit-pick, but perhaps it is closer to replacing a hollow-core door with a solid oak door and using the same hinges.

The hinges remain the constant but the type and weight of the door change.

gyso

Thank you gyso

Much better comparison. I was around the building business for many years - But I wasn't sure if most people were aware of the different types of doors.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanx Swish, there must be a whole class of injuries that result from carrying too much weight on our bodies, even if that weight is well muscled and not flabby. I first started to think about this years ago when it seemed there was a sudden/dramatic increase in the number of hamstring injuries. I only trained with weights for a couple of years and I did get noticeably stronger, by far, the strongest portion of my life. But I also had more leg problems. Like most things, I'm sure its a combination of ingredients. Do you perceive more injuries? or is it more a matter of understanding the true nature of injury and the reporting of it? Old school players were encouraged to play through injuries now teams are more protective of their investment.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:12 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Thanx Swish, there must be a whole class of injuries that result from carrying too much weight on our bodies, even if that weight is well muscled and not flabby. I first started to think about this years ago when it seemed there was a sudden/dramatic increase in the number of hamstring injuries. I only trained with weights for a couple of years and I did get noticeably stronger, by far, the strongest portion of my life. But I also had more leg problems. Like most things, I'm sure its a combination of ingredients. Do you perceive more injuries? or is it more a matter of understanding the true nature of injury and the reporting of it? Old school players were encouraged to play through injuries now teams are more protective of their investment.

mulcogiseng

From a joint injury standpoint I think that its possible that all the added weight that the modern player carries could be a contributing factor. Given the constant pounding on hardwood floors - especially off balance landings from considerable heights in the rebound action - and it would seem to me that all that added weight, especially for the "bigs", would take its toll.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2