Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently."

+4
dboss
wideclyde
steve3344
8 posters

Go down

Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently." Empty Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently."

Post by steve3344 Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:09 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/larry-sanders-ready-return-nba-015536354.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently." Empty Re: Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently."

Post by wideclyde Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Good move by Ainge. Nothing to lose by working out this guy. Perhaps he still has something left in the tank.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently." Empty Re: Larry Sanders "worked out with the Celtics recently."

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 pm

It's the kind of deal Danny likes. Low...under the radar.......low risk....high upside.

I just hope the guy is not a doper.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Type of move Patriots would make.

He definitely can board and block shots.  

This is a clear indication that DA is looking for a rebounder.  It would take him some time to ger back in the flow but he is only 28.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:30 am

112288 wrote:It's the kind of deal Danny likes.  Low...under the radar.......low risk....high upside.

If my memory serves me well Sanders liked pot but the reason why he suspended his NBA career is because of personal emotional issues, NOT drug-related ones.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 am

bobheckler wrote:
112288 wrote:It's the kind of deal Danny likes.  Low...under the radar.......low risk....high upside.

If my memory serves me well Sanders liked pot but the reason why he suspended his NBA career is because of personal emotional issues, NOT drug-related ones.

bob

I was right.  This from Jay King:

During his prime, he served as one of the league's top rim protectors, a real deterrent inside. But he walked away from the game in 2015 after dealing with issues related to anxiety, depression and mood disorders. He has not played professional basketball since.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:42 am

he was (is?) a good shot blocker for sure. But he was never an elite rebounder. He also cannot shoot outside and is a poor free throw shooter.

sorry to be a debra downer and all.

I really couldn't see him playing over Zeller to be honest.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

anxiety, depression and mood disorders - all three exacerbated by pot smoking
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:43 am

worcester wrote: anxiety, depression and mood disorders - all three exacerbated by pot smoking

Which is why I stick with a good single malt scotch.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:44 am

You and Police Commissioner Reagan of Blue Bloods
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 am

worcester wrote:You and Police Commissioner Reagan of Blue Bloods

Haven't seen the show, but sounds like a character I would like.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

Played by Tom Selleck, it's one of my very favorite shows. Always ends with a positive message strong on healthy values. The co-star is Donny Wahlberg, a great Celtics fan. Every so often the writers tweak his nose by making him root for the Knicks. LOL.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 am

kdp59 wrote:he was (is?) a good shot blocker for sure. But he was never an elite rebounder. He also cannot shoot outside and is a poor free throw shooter.

sorry to be a debra downer and all.

I really couldn't see him playing over Zeller to be honest.

kdp,

He looks, stat-wise and skill-wise, like Nerlens Noel.

Sanders', in his last season, grabbed 10.2 rebs/36mpg.  This year Noel is averaging 10.3/36
Sanders, 2.4 blocks/36mpg.  Noel this year is 1.8 blocks/36.
Sanders, 12points/36.  Noel, 17.2points/36.
Sanders, 1.6 stls/36.  Noel, 2.2 steals/36.
Sanders, 50% ft% (career 55%).  Noel, 75% ft% (career 61.1%.  He's just took a BIG step up this year)  

Neither player is worth much from beyond 10'. Noel, maybe a bit more, but not much.

Noel is only playing 17 mpg this year, down from 29.

We should also remember that Larry Sanders, in his last year in the league, was a very troubled young man and that will affect his performance, focus and progress.

We should also remember that players are part of a system.  Last year Evan Turner was a GREAT rebounder for his position.  Yes, he is a good rebounder but his stats were helped thanks to Brad's strategy of having our bigs box out and let our wings like Turner go for the ball.

Noel is in the last year of rookie contract and will want BIG bucks next year.  Sanders would be a cheap reclamation project ala Turner and Gerald Green.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sandela01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/noelne01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 pm

It all boils down to the kid Zizic. Can he play NBA ball at the level of Noel and Sanders. If so, then Zizic is your guy for the long term.

It would be acceptable to bring in Sanders for a cup of coffee to see what he has left in his gas tank or bring in Noel as well for a spot of tea. If Noel brings positive results to the Celtics then next year you sign him to a big contract, if not let him walk. I must add, do not give anything of value to Philly except a lower 1st rounder or an expiring contract at this juncture.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Danny should be able to tell pretty quickly if Sanders has regained his emotional and mental health, which would be the foundation upon which he could rebuild his NBA career. Danny is not about to sign another Vin Baker, a former Celt troubled in the past by alcoholism, who fortunately for him has since recovered his sobriety.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:38 pm

read somewhere on the innerwebs that the Celtics were not impressed with Sanders at the workout.

I see you point Bob and he and Noel are similar type players. I guess if Danny and Brad like him and we can make a roster spot, for a cheap deal he'd be worth a look.

I bet he's looking for much more than vet minimum though.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down