Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision?

+4
kdp59
mulcogiseng
wideclyde
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision? Empty Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision?

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

http://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/01/28/are-boston-celtics-regretting-ante-zizic-decision/

Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision? Nba-nba-draft-10-793x560
the Boston Celtics could have benefited from allowing Ante Zizic to play his first season in the NBA

Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision?

by Joshua Bateman

6 hours agoFollow @JoshSportsSpeak

One of the main reasons the Boston Celtics were expected to make a trade during the last draft was because they had a total of three first round picks, and no where near enough space on the roster to accommodate them. Everyone knew that the third overall selection would have a spot on the team, but there would be a lot of uncertainty with the other picks.

Instead of packaging their picks in a trade, the Celtics took the longer route, drafting Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele with intentions of sending them overseas. With Yabusele, it was an easy decision on both sides. Yabusele realized he needed more time to develop and there was no resistance on his part to play overseas.

Zizic, on the other hand, made it clear that he wanted a chance to play in the NBA, and he believed he could have an impact as a rookie. As this season is unfolding, one thing has become abundantly clear, the Celtics have a weak front court and have absolutely no depth to play around with. The Celtics have poor rebounders across the board, and get absolutely no rim protection from any big on their second unit.

The Celtics certainly anticipated their front court to be stronger. Tyler Zeller was expected to take on a bigger role, and this was going to be Jordan Mickey’s first real opportunity to be a part of the rotation. Now, a little bit more than halfway through the season, the Celtics may be regretting their decision to send Zizic overseas, because they have run out of front court options, and have to accept their fate that there will be next to no defensive depth and even worse rebounding behind Al Horford and Amir Johnson.

Looking strictly at Zizic, keeping him out of the NBA for a year is likely to remain the better choice. Even if Zizic could bring some much needed help to this current roster, his minutes would be sporadic, and he would not have the same opportunity to develop. Players like James Young, Mickey and Zeller have had ample time to develop and they are at a point where not much more progress can be made outside of the NBA.

That being said, it is hard to imagine Zizic having less of an impact than those three players mentioned, and with all the guards they have cluttering their roster, there is a strong chance that the Celtics would be a better team with Zizic on the roster instead of Young.

Coming out of college, the Celtics knew that Zizic had elite rebounding potential, and the kind of motor that is needed for this team to success on defense. Zizic would give the Celtics their best second unit option when they wanted to go big, and it may not be too extreme to say he could have the best rebounding percentage on the team.

Offensively, Zizic would not quite fit the mold that the Celtics look for in the front court. He would not bring the floor spacing or the versatility that they have looked for, but that is not what they need. Zizic would be an option when the Celtics are looking to get that rebounding boost, and it would be a refreshing sight to have a player, other than Marcus Smart, who can properly box out.

Zizic has great size and a great frame, and could have had an impact on limiting their opponents offenive rebounding. Zizic has a reputation of crashing the glass ferociously, and that is something the Celtics desperately need.

The problem would be that Zizic would have a difficult time maintaining a consistent role, and that is not what the Celtics want for him right now. The Celtics do not regret their decision to send him overseas in the sense that it remains the best option for his growth as a basketball player.

The regret is that all the players that were supposed to be above him on the depth chart in the front court have not panned out. Even Kelly Olynyk, the most sure thing on their second unit, has regressed this season.

Zizic could have brought some stability to that second unit, and his ability to help rebound and fight for those loose balls would have helped limit the runs they give up far too often.

The good news is that the Celtics know that they have front court reinforcements waiting to join the team, and that is exactly what they need in the long term. It is impossible to know if Zizic would have held up physically. He established his reputation of being a great rebounder against lesser competition, and this Celtics team seems to have a way of making rebounders worse.

Horford came in as a mediocre rebounder and, despite no competition around him, still managed to go backwards. It is unfortunate that the Celtics have the rights to a player that could have helped the Celtics in their worst area this season, but it would be foolish to think Zizic could do enough to take the Celtics to the next level, even if he looks like a much better option that about half the players currently making up the second unit.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision? Empty Re: Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision?

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Bob,

I think that you may have missed the idea of such a young guy like Zizic may have been totally over whelmed by an attempt to make a serious contribution to the Cs in his very first year.

I much prefer that he has already been successful in a lower division in Europe and now has progressed to doing well in the top league over there. He is certainly on track to join the Cs next season (summer in fact) and continue his development. It also does not hurt him in the least to now be playing under and ex NBA head coach (Blatt).

Perhaps he could have made a difference this year, but I think that Ainge was correct in anticipating that he needed more development first. If we had been a team like the Lakers who really had no plans to be a playoff team, I may have brought him in like the L's brought in their young European kid (same age I believe) and just let him figure things out on the run.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision? Empty Re: Are Boston Celtics Regretting the Ante Zizic Decision?

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 pm

wideclyde wrote:Bob,

I think that you may have missed the idea of such a young guy like Zizic may have been totally over whelmed by an attempt to make a serious contribution to the Cs in his very first year.

I much prefer that he has already been successful in a lower division in Europe and now has progressed to doing well in the top league over there.  He is certainly on track to join the Cs next season (summer in fact) and continue his development.  It also does not hurt him in the least to now be playing under and ex NBA head coach (Blatt).

Perhaps he could have made a difference this year, but I think that Ainge was correct in anticipating that he needed more development first.  If we had been a team like the Lakers who really had no plans to be a playoff team, I may have brought him in like the L's brought in their young European kid (same age I believe) and just let him figure things out on the run.

Clyde,

He's getting a lot of minutes against some pretty decent competition and now he's with a very good and knowledgeable coach, David Blatt.

Beats the shit out of commuting between Boston and Portland.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Despite what Joshua Bateman may think, Ante Zizic was not drafted out of college but out of the professional Adriatic League. He has been a professional basketball player since the 2014-15 season. Yabusele wanted a chance to play as well, especially after a solid NBA Summer League. They have no alternative but to do as the Celtics want

Clyde, as a professional with experience, he isn't like a college kid coming into the league. Most of the Euro players have maturity over American college kids so I doubt he would be overwhelmed. He is used to the travel and being responsible for himself.

If he had made the roster, given the quality of play of Mickey and Zeller, I doubt if he would have been a commuter to Portland. The Celtics need his skill set. He was drafted to fill the obvious gap on the boards and defending the rim plus he can score. He will probably make the team next year and his Euro League experience will make the transition much easier than it would have been this season. Perhaps the better for Zizic but the Celtics need him now and will have to make some kind of deal before the deadline if they are going to get out of the second round.

17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:26 am

we will see if he is ready for the NBA next season.

everyone that has talent playing in lesser leagues will be stars when they come to the big time. most end up not being stars.

we'll see what he has next year.

Yabusele is playing in China, enough said to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 pm

The answer to the question is probably no. The Celtics do not regret stashing Zizic.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 pm

bob
MY NOTE:  First of all, I believe the team that Blatt and Zizic are playing against is the same Milan team we destroyed in the pre-season when we went to Europe.  That gives me some idea of competitiveness.  As far as this video goes, it's pretty much the same as usual.  Zizic making a lot of "bullshots" as Sam used to refer to Sully's bullyboy play down low.  It will be interesting to see how well he does against the brutes of the NBA like Jordan and Okafor.  Okafor might be easier for Zizic on offense, but Jordan isn't going to be moved backwards easily.  Hell, they don't even have someone like Zach Randolph, shorter but a baby Brahma Bull, in Europe either.  He had a nice spin move.  He'll have rookie issues, but once he's past them, I don't see him as being anything less than a lateral from Zeller, for a fraction of the price.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Some people never learn.
I think you are overvalue the quality of the actual NBA and undervalue the other leagues in the world.Is not enough with examples of players like Portzingis,Jokic,Saric,Nursic,Hernangomez,Kuzminskas,Antetokoumpo,Felicio,Bersans, and proven veterans like the Gasol Brothers,Nene,Scola,Gorcat,Pachulia,Bogut,Ibaka,Vucevic,Pekovic,Dieng,Mills,and others to realize that in the rest of the world are good players.Willy Hernangomez is the best example ,in Spain he was a 6 points and 5 rebounds player and people like you were saying ..he will have problems in our league ,because he is not strong and is too slow,but have you seen him with games of 16 points and 16 rebounds?I think is time to give fair value to other leagues and other players outside the NBA.By the way Popovich is been doing that for a long time.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I am going to show you the first pick in the 2018 nba draft.17 years old Luka Doncic and before you start to doubt him,my advise to you is take a look at how complete is he as a player at that age.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzoHyCt_i0

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzoHyCt_i0

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
5 hours ago
It’s never too early to look ahead* at future Nets picks, and Luka Doncic is coming in 2018. *It’s way too early to look ahead twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/s…
reply retweet like

https://mobile.twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/827623490471620610

bob
MY NOTE:  17 years old, 6'8", 185#.  Projected to be a SG.  Has a little bit of Maravich to his game.  We should be so lucky.  Real Madrid is a good team in a rough Spanish league.

56% from 2, 42% from 3.  And he is only 17.  He needs to beef up but like I said he is only 17 (turns 18 on 2/28).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luka-Doncic-7273/

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:10 pm

international wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzoHyCt_i0

Thanks for posting this. Kid is definitely intriguing...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 am

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luluka-doncic

First pick 2018?  I seriously doubt that.  Looks kinda slow to me and he is still 3-5 years away from adding some muscle.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:54 am

dboss wrote:http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luluka-doncic

First pick 2018?  I seriously doubt that.  Looks kinda slow to me and he is still 3-5 years away from adding some muscle.  

Dboss

dboss,

That could describe Ben Simmons' speed and Brandon Ingram's body and they went #1 and #2.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:25 pm

international we always appreciate your posts

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you Cowens.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 pm

https://youtu.be/h07ViRYxkvA

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:42 pm

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/luka-doncic-receiving-buzz-to-go-first-overall-in-2018-452633.html

international

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:10 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luluka-doncic

Dboss

dboss,

That could describe Ben Simmons' speed and Brandon Ingram's body and they went #1 and #2.

bob

Disagree Ingram yes Simmons already a stud. And I will not compare either one of them to the Euro kid. Not taking nothing away but #1 pick.. I do not think so.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down