Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs

3 posters

Go down

Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs Empty Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs

Post by bobheckler Sat May 13, 2017 2:15 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-051117-horford-ranks-among-top-passers-still-alive-in-playoffs/

Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs Horford-dribble-970x442_0

Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs

Posted: May 11, 2017

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com

May 11, 2017

WASHINGTON – While Isaiah Thomas has been filling up the headlines this postseason, Al Horford has been filling up the box scores.

Horford has put together an impressive, 11-game playoff run that has featured nine consecutive games of at least 11 points as well as a team-leading average of 6.1 assists per game. The big man is averaging 15.8 points, 7.7 rebounds and 6.1 assists per game thus far in the Playoffs, all while shooting 64.0 percent from the field and 56.7 percent from long distance.

It’s the passing, however, that has stood out the most to head coach Brad Stevens.

“I think the ability for him to pass the ball has been one of the most important things to our team,” Stevens said via a conference call Thursday afternoon upon arriving in Washington.

Horford’s vision and passing abilities are unrivaled among true big men who are still playing at this point of the season. In fact, his vision and passing abilities are near the top of the list among all players who are still playing at this point of the season.

Horford is one of only five players whose teams are still alive in this postseason who are averaging at least 6.1 APG. He is joined by John Wall (10.5 APG), James Harden (8.6 APG), Draymond Green (7.3 APG) and LeBron James (7.1 APG).

Having that type of passing ability at the center position has provided Boston with a high level of versatility. Stevens can run the offense through Horford and confidently expect that the right play will be made far more often than not. This allows players such as Thomas, Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder to play off of the ball, where they are far more dangerous.

Stevens also doesn’t underestimate the subtle impacts of Horford’s passing and decision-making. It changes the way his teammates see and play the game.

“He’s so reliable,” Stevens said, “that I think that anytime you’re playing with guys that are that reliable, that has a calming influence in and of itself.”

It’s no coincidence that the Celtics, in their first season with Al Horford on board, are now one win away from appearing in the Conference Finals for the first time since 2012. Horford’s demeanor, leadership, and most of all, unique skill set, are propelling the Celtics through the Playoffs.

The big man isn’t receiving loads of attention for his play, but that’s fine with him; Thomas and the rest of the Celtics can enjoy the headlines. Horford will just continue to quietly stuff the stat sheet and set the C’s up for success with his vision and passing abilities.

bob
MY NOTE: As opposed to passers who are dead? Tried to get a little too cute with the title, IMO. Applying his definition, Harden is dead. That makes him 1 of only 4 players still alive.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs Empty Re: Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs

Post by bobc33 Sat May 13, 2017 3:04 pm

I was skeptical on Horford until about the last third of the season when he definitely picked his game up a notch and seemed to be more assertive. Perhaps it took him a while to get comfortable with a new team; perhaps Brad wasn't quite sure how to use him? Whatever the reason I felt his contribution night in and night out increased quite a bit starting late in the season.

He may be filling up the box scores, and is one of the best passers left in the playoffs, but in addition if you watch him instead of the ball (not easy to do for long) you'll see some of his subtle contributions that don't show in a box score. His screens are almost always perfect, his passes before the pass that may get credit on an assist are almost always crisp and to the right player in the right spot, and his rotations on defense are spot on. No credits in the box score but a very big impact on a game which I'm sure the coaching staff knows about.

I think Brads decision to have the offense flow through Al has been his most important one. Al obviously can handle the task and it gives IT a bit more freedom to operate and decreases the chances he will be bottled up when he gets the ball.

Now let's save the best for game seven on Monday!

Back to top Go down

Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs Empty Re: Horford Ranks Among Top Passers Alive in Playoffs

Post by NYCelt Sun May 14, 2017 12:04 am

bobheckler wrote:http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-051117-horford-ranks-among-top-passers-still-alive-in-playoffs/

MY NOTE:  As opposed to passers who are dead?  Tried to get a little too cute with the title, IMO.  Applying his definition, Harden is dead.  That makes him 1 of only 4 players still alive.

Bob,

Interesting point.

Upon further reflection, The Dead Passers might make a great name for a band.  Maybe a Grateful Dead cover band.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down