kdp59
red16russ11
fierce
NYCelt
dboss
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick Empty Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick

WEEI

By John Hand

Celtics fans want to know what Danny Ainge is going to do with the No. 1 overall pick and after speaking with the Boston Globe on Tuesday, it doesn’t appear the Celtics have made a decision on what they want to do, either.

“The only thing we know for certain is we have the No. 1 pick,” Ainge told the Globe. “What we don’t know for certain is who that person is yet and what sort of value the pick can get us if we choose to go another direction other than just drafting that pick.”

One option for Ainge could be trading the No. 1 pick to move down in the draft, or to acquire an established superstar.

“There’s two things that are happening,” Ainge said. “I think the value of [the pick] increases the closer you get to the draft is one, and two is we really need to know the value of the whole draft, because some of the conversations that you have are trading down in the draft and trading picks for players, moving backward and so forth.

“So we’re in the process of evaluating the whole draft, and we’re fielding phone calls.”

If the Celtics keep the pick, speculation is they will take Markelle Fultz. The other top prospect, Lonzo Ball, denied the C’s invitation for a workout.

Despite the perceived slight of refusing the workout, Ainge holds no grudge against Ball.

“It’s just part of the game,” Ainge said. “You know the rules. You know that the possibility exists. Certainly with all the guards we have, we understand how a point guard would prefer to play somewhere else, especially a kid that grows up in LA. I’m not offended by any of it. I’m not affected by any of it.

“We’ve followed him in the summer in the past and we’re prepared on who he is, and it wouldn’t affect us in any way. I certainly don’t hold it against him or take it personal.”

“It’s strategic,” he added. “Whether it’s right or wrong, it’s what his team of people are suggesting to do.”

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 22.

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick Empty Re: Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick

Post by dboss Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:11 pm

No surprise here.

Several young teams that have been building through the draft like Philly and Minnesota are likely to trade draft picks for veterans.

The Celtics are also a team that has used the draft to stock their team with young talent.  The most noticeable difference is that Boston is a playoff team.  They are at least a top 5 team whereas the other young teams have yet to establish their ability to win.

While DA will listen to offers he will not part with The Pick unless a great player is coming back.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick Empty Re: Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick

Post by dboss Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Someone else mentioned this before .

If Boston traded #1 for player X they would also need to send rotation players to match the salary.

Not a good idea unless Anthony Davis is walking through the door. Plus it will cost less money to just keep the pick.

I have yet to see any enticing trade idea that cuts the mustard.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Fielding calls for the top pick?

Normal course of business, every year.  Don't teams always inquire?  Wouldn't you?

From comments made publicly so far, I would bet that if Danny traded the pick, Irv, Wyc and Steve would have Danny's backside tossed out the back door.  
It would take much more than the top pick to bring in a veteran player good enough to pass a shot at Fultz, Ball, Jackson or Tatum for the long haul.  That would set us back too far from where we stand now.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Would not mind if we took the number #1 pick > Fultz and at the same time traded Bradley, Crowder maybe IT for #3 pick and get Jackson. We would have to take on some salary though.

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 pm

112288 wrote:Would not mind if we took the number #1 pick > Fultz and at the same time traded Bradley, Crowder maybe IT for #3 pick and get Jackson. We would have to take on some salary though.

That's too much.

I mean Celts ending up with Fultz and Jackson?

LOL
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:23 am

He has to field all calls. If he takes 100, 99 of them could be awful. But that one could be the one to move on. I would like to keep the pick and get another somehow
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 am

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-celtics-and-spurs-can-take-the-nbas-top-spot-sooner-than-you-think

I'll try to paste the Celtics part here:

In a three-way trade, Boston sends the first overall pick in this year's draft, the 2018 Brooklyn pick, and their own unprotected first-round selection that same year to the New Orleans Pelicans. They also ship Avery Bradley to the Philadelphia 76ers. The Sixers turn around and send the Los Angeles Lakers' unprotected first-round pick in 2018 to the Pelicans. Anthony Davis goes to Boston.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:19 am

kdp59 wrote:https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-celtics-and-spurs-can-take-the-nbas-top-spot-sooner-than-you-think

In a three-way trade, Boston sends the first overall pick in this year's draft, the 2018 Brooklyn pick, and their own unprotected first-round selection that same year to the New Orleans Pelicans. They also ship Avery Bradley to the Philadelphia 76ers. The Sixers turn around and send the Los Angeles Lakers' unprotected first-round pick in 2018 to the Pelicans. Anthony Davis goes to Boston.

I don't believe the Pels will blow it up.

That trade proposal helps the Celts big time, but it only makes matters worse for the Pels.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 am

If it were up to me, I will give the Pels the #1 pick, the 2018 Nets pick, and the Celts' own pick in 2018, like what the trade proposal said, for Anthony Davis.

But I'm sure the Pels will pass.
Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick Mutley10

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:31 am

fierce wrote:If it were up to me, I will give the Pels the #1 pick, the 2018 Nets pick, and the Celts' own pick in 2018, like what the trade proposal said, for Anthony Davis.

But I'm sure the Pels will pass.
Danny Ainge: Celtics ‘fielding phone calls’ for No. 1 overall pick Mutley10

I agree with you.
Three months ago, New Orleans traded away Buddy Hield and a lottery pick for Cousins.
New Orleans is not trading away Anthony Davis for draft picks.

There are so many click bait trade proposals on the internet.
The far majority of them are trash.
The trades that will happen are the ones we haven't talked about.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

kdp59 wrote:https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-celtics-and-spurs-can-take-the-nbas-top-spot-sooner-than-you-think

Kdp59

This is another example of a half backed trade idea by some guy named Pina.

When you trade players you are trading salaries.  No mention of the players that would be going out to NOLA or the player or players that would come back for Bradley.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:11 am

Danny's job is to pick up the phone when it rings.  Period.  He doesn't have to agree to anything, he doesn't have to do anything, he just owes it to his boss (Wyc Grousbeck), the club and its fans to answer the phone when it rings.

I'd be fall down shocked if Boston got the #1 pick and the phone didn't ring. If that happened, and I was Adam Silver, I would go through most of the front offices in the NBA like the Grim Reaper and clean out all the dead wood.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 am

bobheckler wrote:Danny's job is to pick up the phone when it rings.  Period.  He doesn't have to agree to anything, he doesn't have to do anything, he just owes it to his boss (Wyc Grousbeck), the club and its fans to answer the phone when it rings.  

I'd be fall down shocked if Boston got the #1 pick and the phone didn't ring.  If that happened, and I was Adam Silver, I would go through most of the front offices in the NBA like the Grim Reaper and clean out all the dead wood.  

bob

Yep...I think you pretty much just wrote the number one item on his his job description.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:23 pm

dboss wrote:

Kdp59

This is another example of a half backed trade idea by some guy named Pina.

When you trade players you are trading salaries.  No mention of the players that would be going out to NOLA or the player or players that would come back for Bradley.  

Dboss

once the new NBA year starts (after the draft), teams caps are reset and all holds go into effect on the cap as well.

by trading Bradley, we drop $8.8M off the cap. after the draft we have a cap hold for the #1 pick at something like $5.5M.

Davis' deal calls for a salary next year at $23.8M

since with the draft pick we are at about $114M in salarys and holds, we'd have to drop enough players to at least make up the salary difference ( about $9.5M) OR have to get below the cap enough to cover the difference ( $21.5M).

since I am not sure because the NBA does allow you to take back more salary than you send out in trades ( 125%?) I'll use the $21.5M needed to clear.

Zeller- $8M
Amirs hold- $15.6M

done.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NOP.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

I forgot to add I think they;d be nuts to trade Davis , like they said in the article.

But it's not hard to clear the space to make the deal they proposed after the new league year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Anthony Davis is the only player for whom I'd be willing to trade 3 #1 picks, but no need to sweeten the deal with AB.

Last edited by worcester on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:30 pm

How about take the pick for Fultz and wait and see what other offers come after.  Fultz is a special player.  What if Zizic becomes a better player then Davis.   We can determine what to do with Fultz in a year, let see how Zizic plays in summer ball and preseason before making any rash decisions and trades.

Danny has all the cards.  I would keep stocking the roster with top picks, trading some players that may become too costly to keep and are not the level of talent Danny needs while at the same time signing impact free agents and releasing other players.  He can best manage cap room through cycling draft picks onto the roster that have low cost to keep that will allow Danny larger cap space room and enough to be able to sign top free agents if need be.  

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:11 am

Very intelligent 112288.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks Worcester. As I see it, this is the first time in the modern draft that we have #1, lets keep it for the time being and enjoy the fruits of Danny's wise trading strategy with Brooklyn.

Just an after thought, how many teams down played the talent we had and over valued theirs when Danny was trying to make trades in the past and could not, now the shoe is on the other foot........let them all pound salt!

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:16 pm

112288 wrote:How about take the pick for Fultz and wait and see what other offers come after.  Fultz is a special player.  What if Zizic becomes a better player then Davis.   We can determine what to do with Fultz in a year, let see how Zizic plays in summer ball and preseason before making any rash decisions and trades.

Danny has all the cards.  I would keep stocking the roster with top picks, trading some players that may become too costly to keep and are not the level of talent Danny needs while at the same time signing impact free agents and releasing other players.  He can best manage cap room through cycling draft picks onto the roster that have low cost to keep that will allow Danny larger cap space room and enough to be able to sign top free agents if need be.  

You don't mean Anthony Davis, do you?
If he was close to AD, he'd be here already.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm

To wrap my head around Zizic being better than AD would require a profound imagination.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:29 pm

dboss wrote:112288

To wrap my head around Zizic being better than AD would require a profound imagination.

Dboss

Not to mention highly-controlled pharmaceuticals and/or illegal hallucinogenics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm

There's a tendency for fans to hallucinate over draft picks.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm

'What if Zizic becomes a better player then Davis."

Now there's a problem that every General Manager would just love to have.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm

At this stage............no one knows how Zizic's  impact will be next year for those who throw cold water on my statement.  My statement was made to emphasize that you don't go out and trade a world class player that Fultz will be until you have a look at Zizic.  Remember the Celtics problem is needing a RIM PROTECTOR............not a center who scores.  If Zizic is able to deliver 10 rebounds and 14 points a game..........that far out exceeds bringing Anthony Davis in and giving up half your talent and a #1 DRAFT PICK in the process!

Last year the kid turned all of 20 years of age and needed seasoning and a look see..........he past with flying colors!  Danny also had his roster pretty much set ..............so why bring in a kid who would get very little playing time .......... an unfair look see valuation and receive any meaningful minutes and experience.  Common sense dictates Danny took the right approach by having him stay in Europe.

Davis on the other had 1 year to show case his skills for NBA scouts at a top college - Kentucky.  His first year was ok 13.5 PPG and 8.3 RPG. He also got major minutes 28+ because the team sucked!  

If he becomes half the player of Davis.................you don't trade Fultz!

What most Celtic fans at this site don't understand is the Celtics are HALF FINISHED BALL CLUB
and not just 1 player away from banner #18.  Danny is building a club to make a run 3 years hence from now and a dynasty not a quick flash in the finals before disappearing again.  He wants to become GS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next