NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum?

+5
bobheckler
fierce
dboss
red16russ11
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum? Empty NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum?

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Jayson Tatum has been described as Paul Pierce 2.0. So, what’s the truth about this talented rookie?

SB Nation - by Lachlan Marr@lachlanmarr Jun 20, 2017, 10:10am EDT

With the surprise decision to trade the Boston Celtics’ #1 pick in this year’s NBA Draft for Philadelphia’s #3 pick (plus a future pick), Danny Ainge shocked the basketball world. Now everyone is trying to predict the enigmatic GM’s next move.

Wild theories have emerged on possible trade scenarios involving Jimmy Butler or Anthony Davis or numerous other dream targets as everyone speculates on the Celtics’ future. Yet it may be simpler than trying to leverage the right type of deal or creating the right cap situation. In fact it may be exactly as Ainge himself has said,

We think there’s a really good chance that the player we’ll take at three is the player we would have taken at one.”

Boston Celtics

@celtics

Danny Ainge explains the reasoning behind trading the No. 1 pick in Thursday's Draft as he fields questions from media members:
3:58 PM - 19 Jun 2017

So if that is the case who is it that the Celtics are so excited about that they’re willing to gamble dropping down in the draft and relying on two other GMs to not see what Danny sees?

Conventional wisdom has said the Celtics are looking hard at Josh Jackson, while others favor Jonathan Isaac who is a bit of a dark horse in the race for the 3 spot, and some have theorized that this all might be a long con for the Celtics to sneak in and nab Lonzo Ball.

For me, Jayson Tatum is the most intriguing prospect likely to be available at the 3 spot in the 2017 NBA Draft. Tatum is a versatile offensive wing who can create his own shot, perform in the post and blow by defenders using solid footwork and superior speed.

Tatum is a versatile offensive wing who can create his own shot, perform in the post and blow by defenders using solid footwork and superior speed.

Strengths > https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/6/20/15835814/nba-draft-did-the-boston-celtics-trade-down-for-jayson-tatum-markelle-fultz-josh-jackson-danny-ainge

He brings a variety of tools that the Celtics need, including his ability to create out of isolation, which would free up pressure currently heaped onto Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford. Plus, he could act as a perfect complementary player to the young guns already on the Celtics roster. Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and Terry Rozier would all benefit from having some additional scoring added to the second unit, and that’s exactly what Tatum can bring.

Tatum’s freshman season at Duke saw him post strong numbers amid high expectations. The 19-year-old forward averaged 16.8 points per game, 7.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists. At 6’8” with a 6’11” reach and a strong frame, Tatum has a solid basketball body.

He also showed a high basketball IQ and displayed a maturity to his game, though he still made his fair share of mistakes like any young player does. However, most of the issues with Tatum’s game that have been flagged by scouts—such as occasional lapses in concentration leading to inconsistency on defense and streaky shooting—are the type of things that most rookies will need to work on when adapting to the NBA.

It’s worth mentioning that even before the sure-to-be-infamous trade deal was made, former CelticsBlog staffer, current writer for the Ringer, and general NBA Draft guru Kevin O’Connor argued that Jayson Tatum was someone he would trade down for. Also, out of all the prospects the Celtics have seen Tatum, is someone they have apparently been particularly excited about, having seen him once in LA and then again in Boston. The more hyperbolic have even gone as far as to say Jayson Tatum could be Paul Pierce 2.0, though the rookie has a long way to go before any favorable comparisons to the Truth can honestly be justified.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-First Round-Duke vs Troy Jayson Tatum’s offensive versatility makes him an exciting prospect who could bring a boost to Boston’s scoring. Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

After spending weeks full-time on the Fultz hype train, it might be difficult for some Celtics fans to adjust their expectations and see how the No. 3 pick could end up being a better deal. But rather than having to figure out how to add another young point guard into an over-stacked rotation, the Celtics can now add a versatile scorer at the wing position with skills that can be easily incorporated into the current system.

Right now the Celtics are combing through free agency options looking for a player who can swap between the 3 and the 4 and provide an extra outlet on offense. While he might not be Paul Pierce 2.0 (at least not yet), Jayson Tatum does bring a variety of tools that the Celtics covet, and his versatility and offensive ability could be exactly what the Celtics have been looking for.

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum? Empty Re: NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum?

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Nice player, he does remind me of Paul Pierce. I'd draft him on his ability to go 1 on 1 and create his own shot.

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum? Empty Re: NBA Draft: Did the Boston Celtics trade down for Jayson Tatum?

Post by red16russ11 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 pm

I like Isaac as well, but I think this is our guy
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pm

red16russ11 wrote:I like Isaac as well, but I think this is our guy

I also like Isaac. His body needs a lot of work but he may be even a better prospect than tatum.

I like the fact that he has more length, handles the ball very well and is very fluid. he also moves well on defense. Isaac was a 6' 3" guard in HS and then grew pretty quickly but unlike some players that added a lot of height over a short period of time he was able to maintain his agility and balance.

I would not be surprised if Danny traded down again and drafted this kid. However I think he is a project and is not as developed as Tatum or Jackson.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Unlikely Celts draft Josh Jackson after Jackson refused to workout for the Celts.
Can't draft a player without letting the Celtic doctors check him out.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 pm

fierce wrote:Unlikely Celts draft Josh Jackson after Jackson refused to workout for the Celts.

Fierce,

Jackson declined a 2nd invite when Celtics refused to promise him he wouldn't be traded.

Take that anyway you want.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:
fierce wrote:Unlikely Celts draft Josh Jackson after Jackson refused to workout for the Celts.

Fierce,

Jackson declined a 2nd invite when Celtics refused to promise him he wouldn't be traded.

Take that anyway you want.

bob

That's why I said something bigger is in the works.

Ainge will not settle for Josh Jackson.

Worst case scenario is Ainge couldn't pull off a big trade and ends up picking Tatum.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 pm

I would not look to deeply into this whole event for the past 4 days.  Ainge said that the entire Celtic staff rated Jackson, Ball, Fultz and Tatum equal +/- a hair.

So trading down did make sense to refill the war chest if they were not high on Fultz as the case appears to be.

Further,  it saves the Celtics additional money and creates additional cap space.  With some tweaking, they can get even more.  That given, they could sign 2 major free agents with that space.

Jackson I do not believe was in the Celtics sights, they were going with Tatum as he is the closest to a young Paul Pierce.  I cannot blame Jackson for refusing to come for a workout.  Just plain old hard feeling, nothing more nothing less.

Free agency will be the next news splash for the Celtics after Thursday.

Butler is on a short contact and could command $40 million that would destroy the Celtics cap room in the future.  The future 2-4 years from now is when the Celtics will go for #18 and will need space then.

Last edited by 112288 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:52 am

Further, it saves the Celtics additional money and creates additional cap space. With some tweaking, they can get even more. That given, they could sign 2 major free agents with that space.

depends on what you call "major free agents" I suppose.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

the best Danny can do the shed salary/holds without any trades gets us about $30M in cap space. That's enough for ONE max contract only.

but if you feel Danny can get two major free agents with $30M, I guess its possible. Based on last year $15M gets you an average NBA starter or worst in some cases.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am

I'm wanting Tatum over Jackson because of his better shooting and shot creating skills....curious what rambone thinks of Tatums game?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 am

Yes, I hope so.

Tatum has what has often been described as the most NBA ready game of the four top prospects and I agree with that opinion.

We have a need for a small forward that checks all the boxes at both ends and that's Tatum.  The kid also has a tough mentality and a high basketball IQ. The only knock has been his 3-pt %, but if I recall it's in the same range as Jackson, and if you watch him play you can see there's no issue there at all.

Get this guy, and we can get to work on who we can find or retain for bigs.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 am

I posted this on the Jimmy Butler thread, but I think it should go here too, for some perspective.

Report: Celtics turned down Bulls’ trade offer of Jimmy Butler for No. 3 pick in draft: Chicago went to Boston and offered Butler for the No. 3 pick of the 2017 NBA draft. It was a straight-up offer with nothing else attached. Reportedly, the Celtics said no to the offer. (CBS Boston)

What does this mean?

1.  They really, really like who they are going to take with the #3 pick.  More than they like 3x All-Star Jimmy Butler.

2.  They are holding #3 in reserve in case it is needed for another deal.  Maybe I should post this on the Porzingis thread too.

3.  Jimmy Butler's trade value isn't anywhere near as high as the Bulls would like to think it is and that puts them in a world of hurt since he is all they have (Rondo too, but he's 31 years old.  Damn, where does time go when it flies away?!).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am

Chad Ford: Celtics finally received Josh Jackson’s medicals, but he still won’t workout for Boston. C’s still debating but appear to be leaning Tatum 34 mins ago – via Twitter chadfordinsider
Draft, Josh Jackson, Boston Celtics
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm

He also looks plenty athletic to me. As he fills out and learns the game, could play both forward spots and be perfect stretch 4.

Josh Jackson has funny form on his jumper, its not the same motion every time.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:He also looks plenty athletic to me. As he fills out and learns the game, could play both forward spots and be perfect stretch 4.

Too bad Jackson refuses to workout for the Celts.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:15 pm

fierce wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:He also looks plenty athletic to me. As he fills out and learns the game, could play both forward spots and be perfect stretch 4.

right, his loss

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
fierce wrote:

right, his loss

In the long run, it seems like he got poor advice from his agent. Either that or he chose to ignore the agent's advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:23 pm

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/21/celtics-rumor-roundup-boston-interested-in-trading-for-knicks-forward-kristaps-porzingis

June 21

Josh Jackson’s agent is reportedly at the center of why he won’t attend a workout for the Celtics:

Jared Weiss ✔ @JaredWeissNBA
Re Jackson: Agent appears to be driving this workout refusal, trying to position his client to a team where he'll be the main guy.

@JaredWeissNBA There were reports over last few days that Jackson was willing to do it, but following BJ Armstrong's guidance.
10:54 PM - 21 Jun 2017
7 7 Retweets 4 4 likes
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Jackson goes down to at least 4 because of his stupid agent.

No need to deal now with SAC, as they will get Fox at 5, which is the guy they wanted all along
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:27 pm

fierce wrote:https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/21/celtics-rumor-roundup-boston-interested-in-trading-for-knicks-forward-kristaps-porzingis

June 21

Josh Jackson’s agent is reportedly at the center of why he won’t attend a workout for the Celtics:

Re Jackson: Agent appears to be driving this workout refusal, trying to position his client to a team where he'll be the main guy.

@JaredWeissNBA There were reports over last few days that Jackson was willing to do it, but following BJ Armstrong's guidance.
10:54 PM - 21 Jun 2017
7 7 Retweets 4 4 likes

Never liked BJ Arstrong, and more so now!
Stupid advice. Is he going to be THE MAN is PHO? I believe they have Booker there. He could be THE MAN in SAC...........good luck with that.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry I'm ranting. This just makes me nuts.

Let me get this straight:
Markelle Fultz WOWED Magic during a workout so much so that Magic allegedly offered #2 and Randle to us?
Markelle Futlz WOWED the 76'ers so much that they DID make a deal to get him.
Yet, he was underwhelming in his workout for us?

He TANKED his workout!!! Didn't see a lot of playing time here, so he tanked it. Good God!!
Jackson won't work out because he wants to be the man?
Tatum is worried about playing time?

Whatever happened to - draft me and I'll show you I should be playing??

This all sucks, and I'm slowly losing interest in anything in the NBA other than us!!
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I JUST READ ON WEEI SPORTS BOSTON THAT THE CELTICS RECEIVED HIS MEDICALS WHATEVER THAT MEANS IN TERMS OF DRAFTING HIM.

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm

112288 wrote:I JUST READ ON WEEI SPORTS BOSTON THAT THE CELTICS RECEIVED HIS MEDICALS WHATEVER THAT MEANS IN TERMS OF DRAFTING HIM.

Have his medicals, but he still won't work out - saying there is "no time."

Crock
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm still not sold on the Celts keeping the #3 pick.

Celts going to draft a SF in Tatum at #3 then give another SF in Hayward 30m per year in free-agency?

I still think Ainge is planning something big.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Red,

On Fultz; I think reports of a poor/tanked workout were fabricated.

By anything I've read his workout went just fine.

We just seem t want to draft another player at another position.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next