Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart?

+13
swish
wideclyde
red16russ11
mulcogiseng
BleedGreen
cowens/oldschool
KyleCleric
swedeinestonia
kdp59
NYCelt
bobc33
dboss
gyso
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart?

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]
Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_lcap69%Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 9 ]
Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 13

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart?

Post by dboss Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:Dboss,

You are missing all the cap holds that were mentioned earlier in this thread.

It is not simple subtraction of salaries.

gyso

Assuming all the cap holds are renounced.  I assumed that would be done.  

The assumption in this thread is that it can be done by trading Bradley, Crowder or Smart.

Ok I got it and understand that a core player has to be moved in addition to several other roster moved.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart?

Post by dboss Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:57 pm

wondering if Boston could use the two way salary provision on a guy like semi

(j) Two-Way Contracts. Two-Way Player Salaries shall be excluded
from Team Salary. Thus, for example, a Team is not required to have
Room or an Exception to sign, acquire, or convert a player to a Two-Way
Contract.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:21 pm

dboss wrote:wondering if Boston could use the two way salary provision on a guy like semi

(j) Two-Way Contracts. Two-Way Player Salaries shall be excluded
from Team Salary. Thus, for example, a Team is not required to have
Room or an Exception to sign, acquire, or convert a player to a Two-Way
Contract.

Sure, but it doesn't affect the issue at hand. None of our second round picks have been signed yet. Also, second round picks have no guarantee, so there is no cap holds with them like there is for first round picks.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

I thought 2nd round pick from last year, Jackson, still counted against the CAP.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:45 pm

dboss wrote:I thought 2nd round pick from last year, Jackson,  still counted against the CAP.

dboss

Yes, he signed a contract last season. The second year was non-guaranteed, so he will just be released soon to lower the team salary.

Your earlier question was about Semi, so I assumed that you meant this year's crop of second round picks.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Crowder will go - because Haywood is much more creative on offense - and Bradley will also go to help match salaries to land a "BIG". Get something for him now since I doubt that the Celts will go deeper into the luxury tax to re sign him next year.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:I thought 2nd round pick from last year, Jackson,  still counted against the CAP.

dboss

Yes, he signed a contract last season.  The second year was non-guaranteed, so he will just be released soon to lower the team salary.

Your earlier question was about Semi, so I assumed that you meant this year's crop of second round picks.

gyso

Once Hayward signs his contract and they start to complete there team can they go over the salary cap to sign Semi and Theis

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Methinks Swish is right about Avery.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Accidentally hit "view results" before actually voting.  Crowder seems like the obvious odd man out, but could be AB. Someone will offer AB the max next year, and I am not sure that person will be Danny, since IT will also require max money. Can't pay 4 max contracts. In this light, AB could easily be traded this summer while he still has value (teams won't pay at the trade deadline since they can just wait a few months and sign him outright). Jae and Marcus are still on good contracts. Thus, smart move would be to trade AB. This assumes that Jae can play some 4 and tbat Gordon and Jaylen can play some 2...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 pm

swish wrote:Crowder will go - because Haywood is much more creative on offense - and Bradley will also go to help match salaries to land a "BIG". Get something for him now since I doubt that the Celts will go deeper into the luxury tax to re sign him next year.

swish

Swish,

I think you have the most likely scenario.

Also, between cap constraints and coming up with attractive enough packages for a couple of bigs, I wouldn't be surprised if one of Smart or Brown go, along with a couple of our higher selections from our stash of picks.  I'd hate to see any of these guys depart, but I'm being realistic; you need to give value to get value.

We have point guards and wings stacking up along with draft picks.  We have practically no bigs.  We have serious cap constraints.  The picture kind of draws itself.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm

NYCelt wrote:
swish wrote:Crowder will go - because Haywood is much more creative on offense - and Bradley will also go to help match salaries to land a "BIG". Get something for him now since I doubt that the Celts will go deeper into the luxury tax to re sign him next year.

swish

Swish,

Also, between cap constraints and coming up with attractive enough packages for a couple of bigs, I wouldn't be surprised if one of Smart or Brown go, along with a couple of our higher selections from our stash of picks.  I'd hate to see any of these guys depart, but I'm being realistic; you need to give value to get value.

We have point guards and wings stacking up along with draft picks.  We have practically no bigs.  We have serious cap constraints.  The picture kind of draws itself.

Regards

Don't think anyone who would require Jae, AB, Jaylen, and picks is available. I predict t AB and maybe non-nets/LA/Sacto picks for a promising but not yet all-star big.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

swish

Swish,

Regards

Don't think anyone who would require Jae, AB, Jaylen, and picks is available. I predict t AB and maybe non-nets/LA/Sacto picks for a promising but not yet all-star big.

Shamrock,

Either way, we have to find someone who can rebound and is taller than a 9th grader.

BTW, I'm not thinking Crowder, Bradley, Smart/Brown and picks all go in the same deal. I'm thinking we need to find a couple of bigs. Problem is, as you stated, who's available? Additionally, anyone we bring in has to fit against the cap, after considering departing contracts.

Tricky, to be sure.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm

The Celtics could have focused on getting a big first but they were more interested in going offense.  The impact of getting Hayward must be measured in terms of what was lost and will be lost.  

Given the style of play I just do not see Boston getting the big they really need.  Therefore I would suggest they look at signing some veteran big or two  at vet minimums and 1-2 year deals with the 2nd non guaranteed and wait for the draft next year to acquire a young stud.

All the good bigs have been signed ready.    

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 am

I'd voted Avery. He's in the last year of his contract and due 20m+ a year starting next year. Crowder is signed to a good contract and offers good size and versatility as a forward. He should thrive with these more offensive minded wings. Smart will be a restricted free agent so we still have control over his contract next year. His versatility is still perfect for this system, defending guards and wings and offering the ability to be a decent backup pg. if he got his shot consistent and improved shot selection, he could become an all star. Rozier could be ready to take the next step and get some more consistent minutes. The key for him would be defending quick PGs.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:25 am

Just wanted to get that down before moves start happening later today

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

I would like it to be AB because of his impending contract demands. Crowder is on one of the best contracts in the NBA. (Casspi and IT being the others). AB will want big bucks. However, with the comments Crowder made last year about Hayward, and us now having Brown, Tatum AND Nader ( who I think is just a solid player), Crowder becomes redundant. I think we'll miss his toughness and his defense, but he will never be happy coming off the bench now, and do we really want his as our starting 4?
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

red16russ11 wrote:I would like it to be AB because of his impending contract demands.  Crowder is on one of the best contracts in the NBA.  (Casspi and IT being the others).  AB will want big bucks.  However, with the comments Crowder made last year about Hayward, and us now having Brown, Tatum AND Nader ( who I think is just a solid player), Crowder becomes redundant.  I think we'll miss his toughness and his defense, but he will never be happy coming off the bench now, and do we really want his as our starting 4?

I'm glad Ainge is making that decision and not me. Perhaps he'll find a cheaper big who can fill a role like Hernangomez or O'Quinn.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_257.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: New York Knicks were contacted about Marcus Smart deal (report)

Posted on July 6, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 23037877-mmmain
Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart, left, and New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis jockey for position during the second half of the NBA basketball game, Sunday, April 2, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)(Seth Wenig)

BY TOM WESTERHOLM

After Gordon Hayward announced his intention to leave the Utah Jazz and sign with the Boston Celtics, the team was left with a dilemma: To create cap space for a max deal, they need to trade one of Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder or Marcus Smart.

According to a report from ESPN's Ian Begley, the Celtics contacted the New York Knicks about a deal for Marcus Smart.

The Knicks, among other teams, were also contacted by the Boston Celtics about a potential Marcus Smart trade earlier this week, sources said. The Knicks' interest in Smart is unclear at this point, but you can assume the Celtics would want someone like Willy Hernangomez and/or a pick back in a trade. If so, that would be a steep price for a rebuilding team such as the Knicks to pay.

In that story, Begley also noted that the Knicks have contacted Rajon Rondo, looking to acquire the veteran point guard as a mentor for rookie Frank Ntilikina.

The Smart news is not an enormous surprise. The Celtics will be feeling out interest from several different suitors on all of the potential trade candidates, and the Knicks are one of the teams with the kind of young, cheap talent that would actually help Danny Ainge clear enough space to sign Hayward to the max.

But, as Begley noted, Hernangomez would indeed be a tough price for New York to pay -- he was solid in his rookie season and might help the Celtics fill a void as a rebounder and a versatile center. The Knicks should also be very hesitant to give up a first-round pick as they enter rebuilding, especially after some of their most disastrous trades (Andrea Bargnani, anyone?) backfired due to the first-round picks that were included.

Still, the Celtics aren't going to give away Smart, Bradley or Crowder (despite what some may think). Their trade value might be deflated by the Celtics' timeframe, but interested teams will likely need to give up something helpful to get them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 am

Just to rub a little salt into the wound...27 years old, in his prime.

Which player is traded, Bradley, Crowder or Smart? - Page 3 DEDpocSXUAEE03E

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

just a note, if Smart or Bradley is moved Tony Allen is FA right now and the Grizzlies are not likely to be able to pay him much.

even in his advanced age, he can still play some quality defense..if the price is right and Danny needs depth
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm

kdp59 wrote:just a note, if Smart or Bradley is moved Tony Allen is FA right now and the Grizzlies are not likely to be able to pay him much.

even in his advanced age, he can still play some quality defense..if the price is right and Danny needs depth

kdp,

NEED. BIG.

bob.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

The bench looks thin, but I am hopeful that the German forward can replace Jerebko minutes and production. Jonas won us a playoff game with his exuberant aggression. Watch out for the salary structure from getting too top-heavy.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3