JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors

+4
kdp59
NYCelt
gyso
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors Empty JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:24 pm

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/javale_mcgee_reportedly_unhappy_with_warriors/s1_127_24360943

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports

By Darryn Albert  |  Last updated 7/16/17

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors 10113307
Jun 15, 2017; Oakland, CA, USA; Golden State Warriors center JaVale McGee holds a wrestling belt during the Warriors 2017 championship victory parade in downtown Oakland. Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

JaVale McGee and the Golden State Warriors may be headed towards divorce.

Marcus Thompson II of The Mercury News reported on Friday that McGee, who remains unsigned as an unrestricted free agent, is unhappy with the Warriors over the way the offseason has transpired.

Per Thompson:

At this point, the best recourse is bringing back JaVale McGee. But one source said he is not happy with the Warriors for not giving him a shot at the starting slot and giving all of the mid-level to free agent guard Nick Young. McGee believed his play this season earned him more minutes and money, and is looking for that on the market.

The 29-year-old journeyman McGee enjoyed a career resurgence with the Dubs in 2016-17, as his energy and athleticism proved valuable off the bench down the stretch of their title run. But he was only making the minimum and appeared to earn himself a sizable pay bump with his play. Instead though, Golden State re-signed starting center Zaza Pachulia to a $3.5 million deal and gave Nick Young the full $5.2 million mid-level exception, as alluded to above.

As a result, money is now rather tight for the rest of the Warriors’ supporting cast (even despite some major sacrificing by one of their stars), so a new home may inevitably be awaiting McGee.

bob
MY NOTE:  We may have been a little too quick to sign Semi to an NBA contract.  We needed three things coming out of last season:  rebounding, another assassin (or two) and some rim protection.  Zizic is the rebounder and Hayward is the assassin (Tatum could become the 2nd assassin).  We're still missing rim protection and that could be McGee, but we're already up to 15 contracts.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors Empty Re: JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors

Post by gyso Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:15 pm

JaVale is not worth more than the vet minimum. He can only play limited minutes, for reasons previously discussed. A player with a low minute limit is of no use to us.

He should have a better understanding as to which side of the bread is buttered and who applied said butter.

gyso

Back to top Go down

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors Empty Re: JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 am

Money and cap aside; why would we go there?

We would probably be better off with a young, untested rookie.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am

NYCelt wrote:Money and cap aside; why would we go there?

NYCelt,

Which young, untested, rim protecting, shot blocking rookie do you have in mind?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am

is this the same LaVale McGee who is in the Shaqin' a fool hall of fame?

ummm..no thank you.

I'd rather have Nader on our roster.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 am

kdp59 wrote:is this the same LaVale McGee who is in the Shaqin' a fool hall of fame?

ummm..no thank you.

I'd rather have Nader on our roster.

kdp,

Yep, this would be World Champion Javale McGee who blocked .9 shots in just 9.3mpg in the playoffs (3.6 blocks/36mpg).

Everybody complained about our lack of rim protection last year, everybody agreed we needed to address that need during this offseason, but we don't have money to spend on a 15-30mpg rim protector with no warts.

Al Horford averaged 1.4 blocks/game last year, but he also averaged 32.3mpg. His /36mpg rate is .9 blocks. That's the same number of blocks, in 36 minutes of play, that McGee had in <10mpg.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am

Bob,

The problem is, Javale McGee is not a 15-30mpg player. The word is that he cannot maintain his energy to be allowed to be on the court any more than that. I have read elsewhere that it is also a concentration issue.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/25/should-the-warriors-give-javale-mcgee-more-minutes/

Here is his minutes per game, etc.:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01.html

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors Screen36

Last season min/game: 9.6.

Before that, he could hardly get into the game. In the prior three season, he played 5 games, then 46, then 34.

The GSW have brought out the best of him, certainly. But he still cannot get court time.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

The problem is, Javale McGee is not a 15-30mpg player.  The word is that he cannot maintain his energy to be allowed to be on the court any more than that.  I have read elsewhere that it is also a concentration issue.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/25/should-the-warriors-give-javale-mcgee-more-minutes/

Here is his minutes per game, etc.:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01.html

JaVale McGee reportedly unhappy with Warriors Screen36

Last season min/game:  9.6.  

Before that, he could hardly get into the game. In the prior three season, he played 5 games, then 46, then 34.

The GSW have brought out the best of him, certainly.  But he still cannot get court time.

gyso

gyso,

I agree with what you are saying about his ability to stay on the court.  I said, myself, that he has ADD and cannot stay in the game for extended minutes.

HOWEVER

We have NO real rim protection at this time.  Horford is a good but not great rim protector.  Amir is gone and Zizic is a rookie learning the speed of the NBA game.

For the right price I'd take 10 mpg of stellar rim protection.  Zeller (10.3mpg, .4 blocks) and Kelly (20.5mpg, .4 blocks) combined for 30.8mpg and averaged .8 blocks/game combined.  That's 21 more minutes of court time for less rim protection than McGee had in just 9.3 minutes of court time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

Agree with Gyso, with all the talent and natural talent/attributes he has, he should have been so much better his whole career. He's a head case, a Ricky Davis type, players with talent, but can't work in a cohesive team manner.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 am

Head case yes, but could he be an effective limited role player for us given our needs and salary cap structure? Probably, for the right price.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 am

worcester wrote:Head case yes, but could he be an effective limited role player for us given our needs and salary cap structure?  Probably, for the right price.

W,

He's already complaining about his salary, most likely vet minimum, for the 2017 GSW. That is all we can offer him.

We are all full up for the likes of him. No room. Part time help need not apply.

We need to set our sights a little higher. We need a full time player that we will have to part with a player or two to get.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am

No room at the inn? Didn't they say that to another would be saviour?

I hear you Gyso, but if we can't sign a vet min player, how do we bring a full time rebounder/blocker on board? A trade I guess.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 am

all you have to do is watch...LOL.

Last edited by kdp59 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am

and while we're all laughing on a monday.........

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Oh My...that TOO MUCH fun for monday!!!

on second thought, if Danny wants some comic relief, maybe Ja-VALE Mc-GEEEE is the answer.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm

That was my intro to Javale McGee. I really feel sorry for him, honestly. My heart goes out to him. Funny for me to feel sorry for someone making 20x + my salary, but I do.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Money and cap aside; why would we go there?

NYCelt,

Which young, untested, rim protecting, shot blocking rookie do you have in mind?

bob

ANY!

And I didn't even mention rim protecting or shot blocking. Just not McGee. We may have already gotten our token head-case in Baynes. We don't need two.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm

I have never heard of Baynes being a head case. I have been following him since his WSU days. He is a hard worker and a physical player. He has trouble in the up tempo game due to big man endurance issuses. He is a 15-25 minute a game guy, definitely not your #1 center or big guy if you are planning a championship run. He plays a solid support role, however.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

worcester wrote:That was my intro to Javale McGee. I really feel sorry for him, honestly. My heart goes out to him. Funny for me to feel sorry for someone making 20x + my salary, but I do.

I was too busy laughing to feel sorry for him.

I especially liked the various coaches facial expressions on that video...they ALL had the same look....LOL.

being near DC I remember him when he played with the Wizards/Bullets (whatever they call themselves now). he was a head case from day one. They would have stories on the sports news shows back then about him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Danny talked to McGee last year early on (or maybe the end of the year before) I just remember that they talked and absolutely nothing came of it.  I have to wonder about a guy who was floating out in no man's land, got a job with the Warriors and went on the get a ring. Then starts complaining a month or so after the season ends. 

Starter? Money? Does he think he should get what Iggy got? He should be thankful that he had a job take what was offered, work his butt off and prove to them or another team that he is really worth it. Better than being unemployed.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down