Sam
bobc33
Outside
bobheckler
kdp59
beat
10 posters

Go down

A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee Empty A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee

Post by beat Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:34 am

JaVale McGee.......???

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/12425504/javale-mcgee-deal-boston-celtics

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee Empty Re: A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:54 am

WOW!!

holy cow!!!!

is this some type of joke?

well, I hope he's learned to keep his shoes tied by now at least.

nice rim protector, but what a head case!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee Empty Re: A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:55 am

Wow. GSW and Miami and Dallas were interested but he's coming here?

So, who gets bought out to make room?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 am

Celtics will pay McGee the vet minimum with Philly picking up the rest of the deal. So if he's good and worth keeping, the Sixers are paying for him. If he's bad, Ainge cuts him and the Sixers still pay.

He likes to get back on defense.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKJvqMTbrA

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4718190/rapid-reaction-cs-set-to-add-mcgee?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Rapid reaction: C's set to add McGee
March, 5, 2015
MAR 5 11:00 AM ET

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

A handful of thoughts with the Boston Celtics set to sign free agent center JaVale McGee:

A big might be here soon....JaVale McGee Nba_u_mcgee_300x300
Jeff Hanisch/USA TODAY Sports

• Position of need: The Celtics have been undersized for most of the year, but the season-ending foot injury to Jared Sullinger last month left Boston particularly small. Boston got 7-footer Kelly Olynyk back on Wednesday after an 18-game absence due to an ankle sprain, but in adding McGee they bring in a 7-footer who can disturb shots around the basket with the his length and athleticism. As Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge noted Wednesday, "JaVale is a long, athletic guy and we don't have that type of player -- an above-the-rim offensive and defensive player." But ...

• Defense must improve: McGee has all the physical tools, but it hasn't always translated on the court. In six appearances for the Sixers last month, opponents shot 75 percent (6 of 8 overall) inside of 6 feet, according to the league's player-tracking data. McGee is still working his way back after missing almost all of the 2013-14 season due to a stress fracture in his left tibia, but his playing time in Boston will be dictated by how much he's willing to commit himself to tapping his full potential. He was among the NBA leaders in blocked shots from 2010-2013, leading the league in block percentage in 2010-11 (and finishing second a year later). Combine that with efficient scoring and -- if Brad Stevens can harness his abilities -- there's potential here.

• Low risk, high reward: While we wait for the contract specifics -- Boston had the salary flexibility to outbid some legitimate contenders this season -- it's likely that the Celtics got McGee on a cost-efficient deal that will keep him here next season. Boston has never been afraid to take a flyer on a reclamation project and Stevens has gotten the most out of guys like Jordan Crawford and Evan Turner by putting them in position to maximize their talents. Putting McGee on the floor with an up-tempo, shooting-filled second unit could lead to positive results near the basket. If nothing else, McGee has potential to be an upgrade over what Boston has had for big men at the end of the bench this season.

• A new team record: When McGee makes his debut for the Celtics, Boston will set a new franchise record by utilizing 23 different players in games in one season. McGee will be Boston's 41st roster player this season for a team that has made 11 trades and a never-ending stream of roster tweaks. In order to add McGee, the Celtics will have to waive a player as they sit at the 15-man limit. The most likely candidate would seemingly be Shavlik Randolph, who was inactive for Wednesday's game with the return of Olynyk. Randolph is in the final year of a minimum contract.

• Final thoughts: McGee is still only 27 years old. He's been mocked for some head-scratching on-court activities, but the Celtics will put him in a situation where he'll either conform and try to maximize his potential, or continue his journey. And it's that word "potential" that we can't stop using with McGee. He can potentially help this team on a potential playoff push if he embraces his potential.

bob
MY NOTE:  They couldn't come with a better file foto than of McGee whining?  Trader Danny, getting a couple of almost free looks at a bunch of good players this year:  Gigi, Jonas, Turner and now Javale. I don't consider Isaiah and Jae to be just "looks".

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpdA5BRx3U
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Two, um, concerns with signing McGee:

1. Whether signing someone with a negative basketball IQ might infect others on the team.

2. Whether it's worth signing anyone with such a severe and ongoing injury situation. He played only five games in 2013-14 due to a stress fracture in his tibia, and he's been limited to 11 minutes per game in only 23 games this season as he's continued to deal with the same injury and/or issues with related areas.

On the plus side, my sense is that he's a nice guy and shouldn't cause problems from a locker room standpoint.

"JaVale McGee, by far, is the goofiest teammate I've had. He's goofiest guy in the NBA," said Nuggets forward Corey Brewer, whose previous interview was interrupted when McGee swatted a microphone and declared, in a hoarse Dikembe Mutombo voice, "Not in my house!"

"He's unpredictable," Brewer continued, "with both what will come out of his mouth and what he'll do in the game. I call him 'The Great Adventure,' because you never know what's going to happen. It's going to be an adventure either way it goes, good or bad."

McGee, a 7-footer who's lanky and loony, says weird things and does weird things and says weird things while doing weird things. On the court, the backup center will complement an aerodynamic alley-oop with a boneheaded goaltend at the other end. The only thing predictable is the unpredictability, which makes some sense when, lounging at his locker on a quiet morning recently, McGee admitted: "I have extreme ADD. They tried to put me on Ritalin, but I wouldn't do it. I just didn't want to take it. I was young (when it was diagnosed); it was a long time ago. But, yeah, it's definitely fun having ADD. It's extremely fun. I'm not boring."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22909147/just-being-javale
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Replacing "rim protector" with "shot disturber"...... in the lexicon.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Latest reports are that Javale McGee's contract will run through next season.

If he only plays 10mpg, that's 10 mpg more of a shot blocker than we have now.

Gigi or Shav will be released to make room for McGee.  My gut says it's Shav, which would be a shame, but with Turner being an enigma and Wallace an end-bencher and perennial trade bait (next year is the last year of his contract, so Danny might get lucky and find someone who will take a salary dump) and James Young being, shall we say, problematic I don't see Danny releasing a player he scouted in Europe and has 12 years of pro experience but is still only 27.  

I hope he's worth it.  Unfortunately, we don't have KG anymore to slap him in the back of his head when he's not using it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:30 pm

I've always considered my wife to be the most astute shopper in the world.  But, Sally, you may have to move over for Danny.  As usual, Danny gets something for practically nothing.

It could also be nothing for practically nothing depending entirely on McGee.  And I'm sure the Celtics brass is not considering him as Mr. Intimidator any more than we are.

But, with the possible exception of Thomas, this team is loaded with role players who, under Brad, are finding a way to beat comparable teams and hang in there against any better teams not named Cavaliers.  The secret is obvious.  Their abilities complement one another very well, and they're unified in their energetic, opportunistic, unselfish approach.

Now here comes yet another role player whose abilities are in keeping with the Celtics' greatest unmet need.  There's no assurance that he'll meet that need well.  But it sure would be nice to have an option to throw out there when an opponent is using the Celtics for layup drills.  Moreover, if they can get 15 decent minutes out of McGee, it will also take some of the pressure off Zeller, who is in constant danger of getting burned out with the minutes load he's been carrying.

I haven't even addressed the possibility that McGee could wind up being a keeper because I wouldn't want to be accused of tilting at windmills; and I doubt JaVale's presence will alter the need to go after Mr. Right this spring or summer.

I don't know who might be bought out, although logic suggests that the least used players—Datome and Shav—would be prime candidates.  (I also would bet on Shav.)  But this move is about as close as it gets to a no-brainer.  And, in my book, the number one reason is none of the above.  The number one reason is that I believe in the ability of Brad to make silk purses out of sows' ears.  Especially low-priced Sows.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 pm

I am going to say that I am 100% in favor of this acquisition. No reason not to be as Stevens and his staff will get to work with the most physically talented big man that has been on the Cs roster in quite some time.

Yes, McGee has not yet proven that he is a top level big man yet, but who is to say that Stevens and Co. will not get more out of him than others could? The players on the team may also have a strong, solid impact in making this guy a contributor as well.

I like Randolph type guys, but McGee is a faaaar better athlete and good/better athletes are very important when you are re-building a team in any sport.

If nothing else McGee is a great low cost/high reward opportunity player that Stevens will work to improve that did not cost Ainge anything.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Clyde,

Shav could eventually become a dependable depth player.  But, with his unique blend of skills, JaVale could become an impact player.  And his impact could be most noticeable in exactly the area where the Celtics are most deficient.  It may or may not work out, but credit Danny with getting a cheap look.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Sam,

Not to put Shav down, but if he is waived to fit McGee onto the roster it will not hurt my feelings. Ainge getting a much better athlete who happens to play center for a 25 game audition is much better than keeping Randolph around to add just depth. As you used the term "potential impact player", McGee taking Randolph's spot is good for the team as it exists right now.

He (Randolph) appears to be a good, hard working guy who just does not seem to have enough talent to make it in the NBA. He looks to be equal to one of those AAAA type baseball players where he is good, but just not good enough. He has been cut from the Cs before, has played deep on other benches, has been to China, done well over there but couldn't hook on with a good team upon returning, etc, etc.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Clyde,

Not that I don't think Shav is unique, but I used to know Shav when his name was Colton Iverson.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

here he is in all his glory!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZa2M230cs

and another

https://sportpidity.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/16-the-curious-case-of-javale-mcgee/

16. The Curious Case of JaVale McGee

By Shneef February 11, 2013 Denver Nuggets JaVale McGee NBA The List Washington Wizards

Here at Sportpidity we love to bring you the stupid stuff involving sports. However, we could not do our blog or audience justice without having a post directly related to the single dumbest athlete in sports today: the one and only JaVale McGee.

McGee is a 25-year-old seven-footer with arguably the most amount of athleticism any big man has in the NBA. He’s an above average interior defender (specifically shot blocker), rebounder, and dunker, and shows rare signs of becoming the player that scouts, executives, and fans thought he’d become—a top-tier NBA center on both sides of the floor.

Problem is, McGee is dumb. Real dumb. His stupidity is impeding his progression as a basketball player. Some of it is hard to watch. All of it is hilarious.

Do yourself a favor and search “JaVale McGee” on YouTube. Now search “JaVale McGee stupid”. Try “JaVale McGee worst plays”. The search terms yield synonymous results. There are enough clips of McGee’s lack of basketball intelligence to air a full episode of “America’s Funniest Home Videos” based on his mishaps.

I know I’m going out on a hunch, but I’m pretty sure JaVale is not making big time money in the league. Oh wait! McGee signed a 4 year, $44 million extension after being dealt from Washington to Denver in 2012. How does one even comprehend that knowing McGee makes some of the most ridiculously laughable plays known to mankind? I can think of three ways the Nuggets could attempt to explain this:

1) He’ll get over his IQ issues by switching teams, thus switching environments.

If that’s the case, then explain this:

…and this:

2) He’s a young player who will grow and mature with the right coaching.

McGee is already 25 and in his fifth year in the league! How many more years can we say, “give him another year to finally break out?” I say that time has already passed.

3) He’s an overpaid center that fits their needs and will benefit their team’s depth.

Okay, this makes sense. A 10-point, 5-rebound, 2-block backup center is actually hard to come by nowadays. Seriously though.

JaVale McGee Doesn't Know Who OJ Mayo Is

There is no denying McGee’s sheer stupidity. It makes him fun to watch at all times; when he’s not blocking shots with his long wingspan and dunking the rock ferociously, he’s actin’ a fool. That’s why we at Sportpidity love him for who he is—the dumbest of the dumb athletes.

That’s just stupid

_____________________________________________________________________________________

no, stupid is when you sign him to your roster and expect anything better from this knucklehead.

does Ainge REALLY have to release someone for this joker?

oh man, Danny you must be desperate here!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm

There is NO downside to this move.  

With a wingspan of 7' 6/1/2"  McGee is a much needed addition to a team in desperate need of size at the 5.

Looks like Boston is now set to make a playoff run.  

Great pickup by Danny.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

kdp,

All I need to know about McGee's intelligence is the fact that he got a four-year, $44 million extension.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Well Sam he does have a good agent I guess!

OK, I'm done now...LOL.

I agree that for a minimum deal he's almost no risk (well we are going to cut someone).

But I doubt McGee will give us anything useful , frankly.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 pm

"The details haven't been reported yet, but theoretically, McGee could serve as the rim protector the team has been lacking since, well, forever. Kidding aside--and there will be a lot of jokes due to McGee's history--McGee could be a low cost, high reward venture for Ainge and the Celtics. After getting bought out by Philadelphia, McGee was looking for a chance to prove himself and get minutes, and with Jared Sullinger gone for the season, he could prove to be a defensive force on a bench lacking defense. Brad Stevens has had a knack of turning around reclamation projects like Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford and I have no doubt that he'll do the same with McGee."

So Brad has "turned around" Evan Turner? I hadn't noticed. His assists are up a little but virtually every other stat is below his career average and on a per minute basis. And he continues to make some of the ugliest looking turnovers I've seen.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 pm

sam wrote:kdp,

All I need to know about McGee's intelligence is the fact that he got a four-year, $44 million extension.

Sam

sam,

I'd be willing to hit myself over the head if I could that kind of stupid.

Seriously, though, while I like Shav and what little I've seen of Gigi, is there any question whatsoever we need a shot blocking, rim protecting, baseline defending player?  Isn't that what we've been bemoaning the absence of for almost 2 years now?

I don't know how much money this is going to cost (thank you, Sam Hinkie, for your donation to the Celtics' cause by buying him out and, in doing so, took the "I need money" issue off the table) but c'mon!  This guy absolutely, positively is the player I just described above and he's going to come to us for, I'll bet, next-to-nothing.

Evan Turner makes my head and stomach spin but is he a steal at his price?  Hell yeah.  Would I replace him with someone else if I could?  Sure, but even I will admit he was worth taking a flyer on.

Danny has taken a player that was considered a problem in the locker room, Isaiah Thomas, and Isaiah is doing a good job for us, giving us the scoring punch off the bench we needed (and he's talking like he's happy as a clam).  Turner, another cheap reclamation project, has bought in.  Jerebko has bought in.  Zeller, who is cheap and was undervalued in Cleveland, has bought in.

Getting back into the ol' Wayback Machine, we go back to 2007, when Danny had another bunch of reclamation projects going.  He had Wally, who went from being an all-star in Minny to a bench player and had something to prove.  He had Sebastian Telfair, who was over-hyped and a rotten locker room presence, but also had a lot to prove.  He had mercurial Delonte West ("mercurial" is a nice way to say "head case").  He had Ryan Gomes, a solid tweener who had hit his ceiling.  He had an expiring contract in rarely used senior citizen Theo Ratcliffe.  He also had a bushel of draft picks.  His grist, now, is better than that.  Jerebko is better than Gomes.  Sully isn't Big Al, but he's on GM's radar screens.  Almost anybody is better than Wally and Sebastian Telfair?  Well, I'd take any of the guards we have today over that thug.

Buy cheap, sell high is what has made this country great.  Sam Hinkie isn't buying cheap, he's trusting the crap shoot to do his homework for him because he thinks it's all about talent and barely even gives lip service to culture and building a winning attitude.  Sam Presti hasn't bought cheap either.  His team sucked, well and truly sucked, for years so he could get the picks to draft Durant, Harden, Westbrook and Green.  He did a credible job of what Hinkie is trying to do with a vengeance.  Phil Jackson looks lost in NY.  Danny is working both sides of the street.  He's accumulating draft picks like the way I used to collect baseball cards AND he's bringing in proven NBA talent to see if he can find a diamond, mistaken and written off as glass, for the price of cubic zirconium.

I have NO idea if McGee is going to work out.  I do know, however, he fills a hole, a hole that is hard to fill and that we desperately need filled.

I also know I have complete confidence in Brad Stevens' ability to figure out how to apply McGee's talents in the best possible way.  He has shown that with numerous players already.  Unlike Doc who went with a system Brad seems to take whatever Danny gives him and milks everything out of it.  I mean, look at us!  We have virtually no inside defensive presence, dubious 3pt shooters and with the loss of Sully almost no beef.  Danny gave him a kindergarten filled with tweeners, reclamation projects and other GM's disappointments and he's making it work.  What makes it even more amazing is that Danny has handed him a revolving door roster all year and we've gotten steadily better.  Everytime, all year, that Trader Danny took a hiatus and let Brad work with the players he had for a while, we saw improvements.  Throw the roster up in the air?  No problem, just give Brad a few weeks to sort it out and they're playing to their abilities.  

Danny blows my mind, he really does. There is no way, NO WAY, he should have been able to convince McGee to sign with a sub-.500 team still two games out of the playoffs in the awful east and not with Dallas, Miami and GSW.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Danny blows my mind, he really does.  There is no way, NO WAY, he should have been able to convince McGee to sign with a sub-.500 team still two games out of the playoffs in the awful east and not with Dallas, Miami and GSW.

bob

He didn't.

But I like that he tried.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down