Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time

2 posters

Go down

Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time Empty Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 am

http://nypost.com/2017/08/05/why-this-nets-roster-might-not-change-for-a-long-time/

Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time

By Brian Lewis

August 5, 2017 | 5:13pm

Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time Carroll-russell
DeMarre Carroll (left) and D'Angelo Russell Getty Images (2)

After spending the last month-and-a-half essentially trading cap space for assets, the Nets have stepped away from the fray and taken a break.

According to industry sources, it could be a long one.

“I think they’re done,’’ one source said. “I doubt they sign anyone else at all.”

Technically, they didn’t sign anyone. After seeing their offer sheet to Otto Porter Jr. matched by the Wizards, the Nets pivoted and remade the roster through trades. Since June 20, they have acquired D’Angelo Russell, Allen Crabbe, DeMarre Carroll, Jarrett Allen, and first- and second-round picks by taking on salary dumps.

Now general manager Sean Marks says the franchise will step back and assess the landscape, and despite a thin frontcourt, sources told The Post they might stand pat for a while.

“I hope you never feel like you’re done. We’re continuously going to be trying to have our finger on the pulse of the league, and see what happens,’’ Marks said. “I think we’ll take a little bit of a deep breath and just see what shakes out here.

“But I don’t know. Who knows what’s going to happen throughout the year? I think if you’d asked us a month ago, we couldn’t have predicted all the things that may have happened, not just here but around the league. It’s something that we’ve just got to stay fluid and be ready to react.”

Staying fluid has been Marks’ mantra since arriving.

He took over an aging team and dealt Thad Young for the draft pick that became Caris LeVert. But after seeing offer sheets to restricted free agents Crabbe, Tyler Johnson and Donatas Motiejunas matched, Marks patiently held cap space all year before finally using it (along with Brook Lopez) to land Russell on June 20.

Having seen the same scenario play out last month with Porter, Marks could hold onto what cap space he has left. Unless he can extract an asset in return for facilitating a three-team deal (like helping the Knicks move Carmelo Anthony or Cleveland deal Kyrie Irving), he could be holding it to the trade deadline, or beyond.

“It’s no secret we didn’t get the one restricted free agent we went after, but we were able to move and go in a different direction relatively quickly,’’ Marks said.

“So are we happy with it? Sure. But we can never rest on any of our laurels here. We know we’ve got a long, long way to go. It’s exciting for me and the whole group the steps that we’re taking, but we’re all very realistic here in knowing that this is just one little baby step in that direction.”

The Nets are hoping to string together enough baby steps for a long trek back to respectability. They went 21-61 in 2015-16, and followed with an NBA-worst 20-62 last season. But Kevin Pelton and ESPN’s real plus-minus model projects a nearly double-digit improvement, pegging Brooklyn for 29 ½ victories — ahead of Atlanta, Chicago and Sacramento.

Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time Timofey_mozgov
Timofey Mozgov

The Nets’ shaky frontcourt likely will keep them in the lottery, with declining Timofey Mozgov and 19-year-old rookie Allen the only players over 6-foot-8.

They are interested in reclamation project Jared Sullinger, a former Celtics power forward who made all-tourney at The Basketball Tournament, with 26 points and 10 boards in this week’s semifinal loss in Baltimore. But they will look to upgrade not just in the frontcourt, but everywhere — albeit patiently.

“We’ll be looking at everything. I don’t know that I want to limit it to just a big man,’’ Marks said. “That’s obviously an area where we’re a little bit shallow right now. We’ll see what happens.”

Despite reports of the Nets and Knicks having interest in Alan Anderson, his agent, Chris Luchey, told The Post neither team is in the running for the ex-Brooklyn wing.

“The Nets and I had conversations about Alan early in the first weeks of free agency, that was long before they’d done any trades, offered any money to anyone,’’ Luchey said. “Alan and [Nets assistant GM] Trajan Langdon have a great relationship, both professional and personal. We had quite a few discussions early, back-and-forth just gauging interest. There’s nothing there now, that’s done.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time Empty Re: Why this Nets roster might not change for a long time

Post by wideclyde Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 pm

As long as the Nets struggle again mightily for at least one more season, I will be happy. Another top seven pick from them will be nice for the Celtics.

If they struggle again for a few more years perhaps they will take an aging Al Horford for a couple of more
potential lottery picks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down