dboss
cowens/oldschool
tjmakz
bobheckler
13 posters

Go down

Russell Takes A Knee Empty Russell Takes A Knee

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

I normally do not post stories with political or religious issues on this board, nor do the rest of the mods allow them.  Those are highly volatile and combustible issues and are best left for forums that have been created specifically for people to talk about them.  This is a sports board, specifically, a Boston Celtics sports board.

And this is 83 year old Bill Russell on his knee.  The only Celtic that is held in greater esteem, who is more respected, than Bill Russell is Red himself.

I am neither condoning nor condemning Bill Russell for doing this, but he is a Boston Celtic icon, the greatest living Celtic, and to ignore that he did this is, in my opinion, disrespectful to him and I will not disrespect Mr. Russell.  His whole life demands better treatment than that.  If anybody is upset or insulted by this please contact me via PM and I will try to respond.  

Russell Takes A Knee DKme21lVwAAy-hS
TheBillRussell @BillRus73270016
Proud to take a knee, and to stand tall against social injustice." #takeaknee #medaloffreedom #NFL #BillRussell #MSNBC
2:54 PM - Sep 25, 2017
231 231 Replies   4,522 4,522 Retweets   13,674 13,674 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Russell Takes A Knee Empty Re: Russell Takes A Knee

Post by tjmakz Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 am

bobheckler wrote:I normally do not post stories with political or religious issues on this board, nor do the rest of the mods allow them.  Those are highly volatile and combustible issues and are best left for forums that have been created specifically for people to talk about them.  This is a sports board, specifically, a Boston Celtics sports board.

And this is 83 year old Bill Russell on his knee.  The only Celtic that is held in greater esteem, who is more respected, than Bill Russell is Red himself.

I am neither condoning nor condemning Bill Russell for doing this, but he is a Boston Celtic icon, the greatest living Celtic, and to ignore that he did this is, in my opinion, disrespectful to him and I will not disrespect Mr. Russell.  His whole life demands better treatment than that.  If anybody is upset or insulted by this please contact me via PM and I will try to respond.  

Proud to take a knee, and to stand tall against social injustice." #takeaknee #medaloffreedom #NFL #BillRussell #MSNBC

bob

Bob,

Whether we are for, against or indifferent to players taking a knee, I hope nobody paints Bill Russell with the same brush as we would with Colin Kaepernick or a 25 year old NFL player.
Bill lived through a very different time in American history than what we live in now.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 pm

I got no problem with this.

First 2 weeks of season were 5 players that took a knee, then some disgrace as a President decides to really make this a bigger issue than it was.....how about coming up with a plan for any of your legislation that can benefit everyone, not just the privileged? Do your damn job instead of picking fights.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:35 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:I normally do not post stories with political or religious issues on this board, nor do the rest of the mods allow them.  Those are highly volatile and combustible issues and are best left for forums that have been created specifically for people to talk about them.  This is a sports board, specifically, a Boston Celtics sports board.

bob

Bob,

Whether we are for, against or indifferent to players taking a knee, I hope nobody paints Bill Russell with the same brush as we would with Colin Kaepernick or a 25 year old NFL player.
Bill lived through a very different time in American history than what we live in now.

TJ What do you mean we would?

I have no problem with what Kaepernick did.  I consider it freedom to protest.  After all we do not live in Live Germany under Hitler.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:02 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

bob

Bob,

I have no problem with what Kaepernick did.  I consider it freedom to protest.  After all we do not live in Live Germany under Hitler.

Dboss

Whether we like the protests or not, 25 year olds see the world differently than an 83 year old does.
I was lumping Kaepernick and 25 year olds together because of their age.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Russ is the best

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes indeed their is the right to protest - and their is an equal right to express how one feels about the protest. Generational differences can often times lead to opinion changes. Being a year plus older then Russell I can personally speak of the social differences that existed between the 1950's and 2017. And for me at least, the time element has completely changed my view (opinion) on the issue at hand.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:16 pm

No one today deserves the respect of fans than Bill Russell. He lived through it all. Had his home destroyed by angry bigotted men, walked miles and miles with MLK, and paid the price of having his dignity ripped apart and came through it all with his head held high.

I will not say how I felt about Colin Kapernick last year, but those players playing in Sunday's games knelt from somewhere else. It was the indignity thrown upon them by the leader of the United States of America that caused these actions.

I can only hope that this opened eyes, and will not continue week after week, because it takes
away the one thing everyone who turns on the NFL wants to see, competition and just good football. This is a rough time we are going through right now, let's hope, in the near future, that eyes will be opened and everyone will be standing together rather than kneeling
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:16 pm

No one today deserves the respect of fans than Bill Russell. He lived through it all. Had his home destroyed by angry bigotted men, walked miles and miles with MLK, and paid the price of having his dignity ripped apart and came through it all with his head held high.

I will not say how I felt about Colin Kapernick last year, but those players playing in Sunday's games knelt from somewhere else. It was the indignity thrown upon them by the leader of the United States of America that caused these actions.

I can only hope that this opened eyes, and will not continue week after week, because it takes
away the one thing everyone who turns on the NFL wants to see, competition and just good football. This is a rough time we are going through right now, let's hope, in the near future, that eyes will be opened and everyone will be standing together rather than kneeling
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 pm

bob

I think its friggin awesome!!!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm

tjmakz wrote:

bob

Bob,

Yes but not so much
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanx Bob!
It is always a pleasure to see the great Bill Russell no matter what his age. I was a fan in the 50's and I am a fan today. The intervening 60 years since I first had the pleasure to see him has only increased my admiration and respect for this man. He has always been a better human being then a basketball player. That's why he was awarded the Medal of Freedom, our countries highest civilian honor. As a Flagbearer I would never kneel during the National Anthem. But I would gladly, once again, sign that blank check so that other's could. IMO, age, generation, and all other such "empty" references have nothing to do with personal freedom and individual liberty. Those are things that Mr. Russell embodies and freely shares.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

bob

Bob,

Dboss

Whether we like the protests or not, 25 year olds see the world differently than an 83 year old does.
I was lumping Kaepernick and 25 year olds together because of their age.
Dont think thats fair. Colin has put his life and career on the line for his beliefs. His beliefs based on his keen awareness of what is going on. His age should not be considered a factor. Charles Barkleys twice his age and listen to all the stupidity he spits out. Ignorance knows no boundaries!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Well everything is so much better now.

Just to make sure my esteemed board members understand where I am coming from.

I agree with The NFL players to take a knee, lock arms, stand in silence or put their hand over their heart.  I also agree that fans that see things differently have a right to protest the protesters but every action and reaction must be peaceful.  

The reason Colin took a knee was to shed light on an issue that compromises what this country is supposed to stand for.  It is however of particular concern for minorities.  It is in direct relation to the black lives matter movement (of course all lives matter)  But his protest is directly related to the murder of African Americans, mostly African American men, by the police.  This is a very serious issue in this country.  His protest has risen to a much wider protest that has impacted the NFL and is very likely to spread to the NBA.  Our very own Boston Celtics may very well show solidarity with  the NFL

The issue I have mentioned here effects me personally.

I have 5 sons and all of them are outstanding young men.  KJ is my youngest.  I have had to have a conversation with each of them about what to do and what not to do if they have an encounter with the Police.   When they are driving what are the things that they must understand. The vast majority of law enforcement in this country are there to protect and to serve but unfortunately there exist rouge cops who are flat out racists and those are the cops that will not hesitate to kill a black man.  And now that this blessed country of ours seems to be drifting backwards, the alarm bells are going off for a lot of Americans.

Taking the knee in protest is not a protest against the flag or the anthem or anything else that Americans cherish.  It is a rather submissive expression that is meant to shed light on the obligation that all of us have to live up to and protect the freedoms that are inherent in every American Citizen.  The National Anthem turns into a cruel joke if those freedoms cannot be realized by everyone.

I hope and pray that if and when my sons have sons they will not have to inoculate them from the scourge of driving while black.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 pm

You seem to have it all under control Dboss. I have only one son, a great kid, who I have never had a problem with in his life.

I do have a husband who served in the Air Force, went to Viet Nam for a year, and is a disabled vet. At times, especially last year with Colin, it was tough for him to realize why??? He is an intelligent guy who worked for the Police dept for 20 years plus. So, straight laced? Yes. He has come to terms with the fact that these guys have the right to take a stand for themselves when they are being referred to the way they have been.

This is one heck of a way for the young people of America to see and hear the President of the. United
States speak the way he did. I agree with you totally.

Rosalie

By the way, KJ is one heck of a kid, he is so respectful and I love it when he finds the time to drop us a note or two. You done good guy!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Rosalie

Thank you so much for your warm and considerate comments.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you, dboss. That is what this is all about.

The Celtics are expected to do something in response. Jaylen on media day had said that they'd do something as a team and that Ainge supported them with it. Would be great if Russell was part of it, too.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am

thank you dboss for writing what i could not.

until those who are supposed to protect and serve the public, quit killing their neighbors, we all need to step up in any way possible for change.

I am discouraged that most white players and others in public life have not joined in and stood up ( or knelt down) to protest.

but our nation has purposely been split into two camps now....whichever political "team" you are on, you must agree with 100%. If the other side is for something, it is evil and bad.

we have allowed this ourselves I am afraid, and I don't it changing unless something major happens.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I want to thank all here who've expressed their support for this necessary expression of solidarity for those who have been killed and injured because of their skin color. For me, Bill Russell has always been a great man, who happened to play basketball (better than anyone else.). Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:48 pm

My over riding concern, personally, were I to take a knee at age 83 would be, "Can I get up?"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Although it's normally our policy not to allow political debates, this is certainly an important topic of our times. Several posters have expressed themselves thoughtfully, and so we're going to close it off here, but leave the thread up on display.  As always, we sincerely hope for the best of times for all of you, and our country.  Thanks for your understanding.'
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down