Camp - Day 1

5 posters

Go down

Camp - Day 1 Empty Camp - Day 1

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
2 minutes ago
#Celtics Kyrie Irving said getting away to Newport chance for guys to get to know one another. Came down for dinner as team last night.
reply retweet like

Jay King @ByJayKing
2 minutes ago
Kyrie Irving just asked how to pronounce Waltham so it's definitely his first day.
reply retweet like

Chris Forsberg‏Verified account
@ESPNForsberg
Follow
More
A glimpse inside Celtics practice.
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/912800969318166528
MY NOTE:  Video

Scott Souza‏
@Scott_Souza
Follow
More
Aron Baynes calls for the ball, gets call at first #Celtics practice ... And away we go.
Camp - Day 1 DKrrxL9UEAEhs-1

Camp - Day 1 DKrsR-lUIAA8SCz

Adam Himmelsbach‏Verified account
@AdamHimmelsbach
Follow
More
Some Cs scrimmaging
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/912802014127689729

Scott Souza‏
@Scott_Souza
Follow
More
Marcus Smart doing a lot of talking in huddle late in #Celtics practice.
Camp - Day 1 DKrsvhQUIAEW9Lf

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 10 minutes ago
In this scrimmage, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum playing the 3 and 4 in a lineup that also includes Smart, Rozier, Baynes.
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:  So, if Smart and Brown are both in this unit, who is the 5th starter?  We know someone will be filling in for Morris, but who is replacing Bradley?

@ESPNForsberg
Follow
More
Big 3 and Brad.
Camp - Day 1 DKrs-KIX0AAy2MD

Brian Robb‏Verified account
@BrianTRobb
Follow
More
Final Celtics huddle of the double session
Camp - Day 1 DKrtYKiW4AEheqQ

Jay King @ByJayKing
2 minutes ago
Kyrie Irving just asked how to pronounce Waltham so it's definitely his first day.
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
2 minutes ago
#Celtics Kyrie Irving said getting away to Newport chance for guys to get to know one another. Came down for dinner as team last night.
reply retweet like

@BrianTRobb
Follow
More
Gordon Hayward getting some shots up after practice.
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/912804962274566144

Marc D'Amico @celtics
4 minutes ago
Brad Stevens says,"I want these guys to spend as much time together as possible." Says that's why he moved camp to Newport after Kyrie trade
reply retweet like

Marc D'Amico @celtics
1 minute ago
Stevens on slimmed-down Marcus Smart: "He looks as just as strong and as feisty as ever, it's just a matter of he can do it for longer."
reply retweet like

@BrianTRobb
Follow
More
Marcus Smart and Shane Larkin getting up corner jumpers. Smart looks very trim after weight loss.
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/912807010164453376

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
1 minute ago
#Celtics Brad Stevens: Winning's got to be a competitive thing. Gordon Hayward has always had that.
reply retweet like

Jay King @ByJayKing
3 minutes ago
Stevens said Kyrie Irving will have to get up to speed defensively because they do some things differently than Cleveland.
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:  They probably do some things differently than Utah, Detroit and Germany too.

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
1 minute ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens reports no injuries out of first double session here in Newport.
reply retweet like

@ESPNForsberg
Follow
More
Kyrie Irving getting in that post-practice balance work.

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
4 minutes ago
#Celtics Marcus Smart: With my body now I can the team out running. Brad wants to play fast.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Camp - Day 1 Empty Re: Camp - Day 1

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Still don't like Smart's shooting motion.  He's bringing it up from below his waist and I don't see it rolling off his fingers as much as I'd like.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 14 minutes ago
#Celtics Brad Stevens on Gordon Hayward: He can pretty much mesh with anybody, at anytime, anywhere. That's a good quality to have.
reply retweet like

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 13 minutes ago
Biggest news of camp so far: Aron Baynes told Marcus Smart he would live on a boat.
reply retweet like

@ESPNForsberg
Follow
More
Gordon Hayward on watching Brad Stevens draw up plays again: "It was a little weird ... I remember that like it was yesterday."
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/912821442412244993

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Jonathan Holmes in camp. He looked good a couple of years ago but lost out because of the numbers. Could be 15th man.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Sounds like they had a good first day of camp.

Can't wait to see them.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 am

KyleCleric wrote:Jonathan Holmes in camp. He looked good a couple of years ago but lost out because of the numbers. Could be 15th man.

Celts are loaded with SFs.

Hard to believe Celts will add another SF.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am

Celtics Sign Jonathan Holmes, Devin Williams
September 26th 2017 at 5:02pm CST by Luke Adams
The Celtics have finalized their training camp roster by signing Jonathan Holmes and Devin Williams to fill their last two roster spots, the team announced today in a press release. Boston is now carrying the maximum 20 players.

Holmes, 24, went undrafted out of Texas in 2015 and saw his rookie season derailed by a torn labrum. Last fall, Holmes joined the Cavs for camp but didn’t make the team’s regular season roster and spent most of the season playing in the G League for the Canton Charge, Cleveland’s affiliate. The power forward’s rights were traded to the Maine Red Claws this week, signaling that the C’s expect him to play for their G League squad.

As for Williams, the 23-year-old power forward played his final game for West Virginia in 2016, forgoing his senior year to enter the draft. He went undrafted last June and spent last season with Melbourne United in Australia and with the Greensboro Swarm in the G League.

The two signings signal that the Celtics won’t carry Daniel Dixon on their training camp roster at this time. Multiple outlets reported in August that Dixon had reached an agreement with Boston, but that deal either fell through or will be finalized at a later date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both are power forwards, I liked Holmes coming out of college myself. with Morris not around for the beginning of camp , we need more big body's.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 am

draft profile of Holmes

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jonathan-holmes

10 - Jonathan HolmesTexas

Birthday: 12/9/92
NBA Position: Power Forward
Class: Senior
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 245
Hometown: San Antonio, TX
High School: Antonian College Prep

Overall
2015 Big Board: 40
NBA Comparison: Ryan Humphrey
Strengths: Holmes is one of the most versatile prospects in the entire draft ... At 6'9.25" and 240 lbs with a 6'11.5" wingspan, Holmes has the body to guard almost every position on the floor ... Was very good defender on the perimeter and equally as good in the post ... Over his career at Texas developed an above average outside shot and perimeter game ... Was the go-to guy for the Longhorns during end of game situations (he made a couple game winning shots in his career too) ... Didn't neglect the post either, was more than capable of taking smaller or similar size players to the rim ... He is very adept at finishing through contact in the paint ... His combination of quickness and footwork make him a tough cover down low ... Can also exploit taller defenders with his face up game ... Makes the short to mid-range jumper constantly with ease ... Holmes is an average ball handler, but can use both hands and dribbles with his head up ready to make the right play ... Has a good first step for his size, which makes him a threat to get from the perimeter to the basket in the half court ... Besides a subpar sophomore year, Holmes shot around 73 percent from the free throw line ... Runs the floor very well, capable of spotting up for a transition jumper ... Good at positioning himself and using his body to seal off opposing players for rebounds ... Very good on the offensive boards as he has a good sense of where missed shots will land ...

Weaknesses: Not great when guarded by bigger/stronger players ... As of right now his jumper works best only out of spot-up situations ... Not great at creating his own shot ... Had a disappointing season statistically, 10.3 ppg and 39% fg, below his standards considerably ... When he rushes his shot it causes problems with his release ... Has a tendency to avoid contact and force awkward and off-balance shots when driving to the basket ... Needs to work on his change of direction and defensive reactions ... Often gets caught cheating towards the hoop on defense when his man is situated on the perimeter ... Settled too often for jumpers last season ... Could stand to trim some body fat (measured with a body fat percentage of 7.2, which is tied for the 23rd highest measurement) ...

Notes: Received consistent playing time during all four years at Texas ... Holmes was forced to play more on the perimeter last season due to the logjam the Longhorns had in the front court ... Field goal percentage took a dramatic dip from his junior to senior year (50.5 percent to 38.9 percent) ... Measured 6' 8.25'' barefoot, 6' 9.25'' (in shoes), 242.2 lbs, 6' 11.5'' wingspan at the NBA Combine ... Measured 6' 8.5 (in shoes) 254 lbs, with a 6'10 wingspan at the 2014 Nike Big Man Skills Academy

Overall: Holmes is a player that might be unknown or overlooked by the common fan, but could develop into a special piece for the right team. Has shown that he is willing to do whatever is needed of him. Very good all-around player that will use his versatility as his main weapon. Holmes was a player worth more than his stats during his tenure with the Texas basketball program.

Brandon Jefferson 6/19/15
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:27 am

Jonathon Holmes looked very good in our 2015 summer league.  I thought for sure he'd get a camp invite but was caught in a numbers game.  One of the reasons he might be in camp now is because on 9/25 (Monday) he was traded from the Canton Charge to the Maine Red Claws.  So, he's on the Abdel Nader layaway plan.

I'm still hoping for a veteran big.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Jaylen Brown and, I think, Jabari Bird.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down