Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs

5 posters

Go down

Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs Empty Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 pm

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20171008/third-year-celtics-guard-terry-rozier-finally-feeling-like-he-belongs?rssfeed=true

Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs

Now in his third NBA season. Celtics guard Terry Rozier is finally feeling like he belongs, and is ready to take on a significant role with Boston's second unit. [AP Photo/Chris Szagola]

By Scott Souza/Daily News Staff

Posted Oct 8, 2017 at 5:33 PM
Updated Oct 8, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Terry Rozier spent his first two NBA seasons searching for his role with the Celtics. Now that he believes he’s found one, he’s looking to excel in it in year No. 3.

WALTHAM — Terry Rozier spent his first two NBA seasons searching for his role with the Celtics.

Now that he believes he’s found one, he’s looking to excel in it in year No. 3.

As a primary backup point guard, and one of the leaders on the second unit, Rozier said on media day that for the first time in his career he felt “a part of the team” coming into training camp.

The past two weeks have only helped to solidify that sentiment.

“I felt important,” he said following a two-hour workout on Sunday. “I felt like I knew the rotations more this year than the first two years coming in where it was like, ‘I’ve got to figure this thing out.’ This is the first year where I feel like, getting it going in the second unit, I can play a little bit.”

Celtics coach Brad Stevens clearly feels the same with the way he’s used Rozier off the bench in the first two exhibition games.

While Rozier was solid and opportunistic in the preseason opener with seven points and three steals in 19 minutes against the Charlotte Hornets, he was one of the team’s brightest spots in Friday’s game in Philadelphia when he scored 13 points with three assists, two rebounds, and a steal in 19:25.

“I think Terry is going to play a huge role for our team,” Stevens said. “He’s gotten better. I loved being able to sub he and (Marcus) Smart into the game in the playoffs last year. We played that way most of the second half of the season. The energy, the enthusiasm had a contagious effect on our team.”

On Friday, Aron Baynes, Rozier, and Smart were the top three Celtics in plus-minus at a combined plus-37 in 55 minutes.

With Marcus Morris saying Sunday he expects to start the season in the first five at power forward, that trio will likely form the core of the bench unit alongside rookie Jayson Tatum.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Baynes said. “Marcus (Smart) is a special defender. He’s shown that in the first few games. I think it’s going to be fun playing with him. Offensively, we have some guys who can really go. So I think it will be good on both ends of the floor.

“When we get more minutes together, we’ll start clicking, and we’ll be more dangerous.”

Stevens has looked to try to keep either Kyrie Irving or Gordon Hayward on the floor at all times during the first halves of the first two preseason games with Rozier getting a chance to share the floor with Irving and filling the role of facilitator among the backcourt duo.

“You’ve got two talented guards complementing each other,” Rozier said, “just playing off one another. It was the same with me and Isaiah [Thomas]. I think it will be the same with me and Kyrie. We can both adjust.

“I asked him two days ago, ‘Do you like running the wing?’ Because sometimes he’ll just give me the ball (to run the point) and he’ll push the wing.”

Stevens admitted the three-guard lineup of Irving, Rozier, and Smart “felt small” when he used it in the exhibition opener, but said it is an option when the Celtics want to go small — or the opposition goes small against them — with Hayward possibly playing power forward in a rotation that would then have four capable ball-handlers on the floor at once.

Whatever the combinations, Rozier is just happy to have a seemingly secure spot in the mix this season after fighting for minutes his first two years in the league.

“We don’t really know our second unit all the way,” Rozier said. “I know Marcus [Smart] chose to come off the bench this year. He’s always going to give everyone a lift. Then we’ve got guys like Baynes who play hard and make the atmosphere better.

“Guys like that make you feel satisfied and happy to be around them.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs Empty Re: Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 pm

So far T Rose looking amazing. Best player on the court tonight by far.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs Empty Re: Third-year Celtics guard Terry Rozier finally feeling like he belongs

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 am

Glad he's coming on!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 pm

A lot of Celtic fans weren't thrilled when Ainge drafted Rozier in 2015.

Looks like Ainge made the right decision.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Rozier looks to be yet another young guy who may become a full time NBA player thanks due to his work efforts and the coaching of Stevens and his staff.

He seems to be already better than Bradley was entering only his third season of NBA play. He may have maybe 4-5 years left of being able to make great strides in his development.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down