Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down

Go down

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down Empty Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:33 am

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/24/terry-rozier-dunk-boston-celtics-wire-massages/

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down Gettyimages-897859962_master

By: Jared Weiss | December 24, 2017 1:54 am 

Terry Rozier can dunk.

This was a revelation even months ago. Now it’s simply Celtics canon.

[ltr]

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down DRx9hBIX4AAp01e[/ltr]

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/944768048694726656

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down CjBVcCJG_normalNBA

✔️@NBA

[ltr]Terry Rozier got up high and put it down hard in the @celtics W![/ltr]

7:13 PM - Dec 23, 2017

•  1111 Replies

•  187187 Retweets

•  801801 likes

[ltr]
But for such an explosive athlete, the fact that it took this long to consistently see Rozier rock rim is remarkable. He threw down just the eighth dunk of his career Saturday in the Celtics’ win over the Bulls, but he has become more dedicated to trying to throw it down when the opportunity presents itself.[/ltr]

How could a man with that much bounce, speed and swag struggle to do what is elementary for players just like him? It’s all about getting a massage.

“Yeah I think I’m more comfortable now, but another thing is I’m taking care of my body a lot more this year,” Rozier told Celtics Wire. “I’m taking the professional route of how I should treat my body, so it’s got me feeling good. Obviously, this month has been a long one. We’ve got probably 18 games this month. So it’s been taking a toll on our whole team, but I’m trying to fight through it.

“I’ve been doing some things to help my body. Just massages, getting in the cold tub a lot more. Making sure I’m getting stretched way more than I ever did last year or the year before.”

Rozier entered the NBA like most other teenagers, eating whatever, whenever and grinding away without much consequence for it catching up to him. He didn’t value recovery and balanced living nearly as much early on. But then he started to not only suffer the consequences of it, seeing dips in his explosiveness and stamina, but learn from the mentors and luminaries around him.

“You see the pros around you and how they take care of their body. Your body is a big percentage of how long you can stay in this league and play well, so that’s something I took into consideration.”

So there’s the physical hurdle. But there’s the mental hurdle. Rozier used to get what looks like 40 inches off the ground, flying over and by defenders only to try to lay up a finger roll at the last second. Half of the time, the ball rolled out. The beauty of the dunk is that it’s success rate is certainly a lot closer to 100% than a finger roll. The benefit is both in the emotional exhilaration and the efficiency of the play. But it took Rozier believing in his physical preparation to have faith in his skill to get that dunk all the way down.

“I just feel if you’re super athletic, you can try to go for it,” Rozier said. “I’m not saying I’m super athletic…okay, yeah I think I am. But I’m just trying to humble myself. But when you’re athletic, you just try to take off. If you get blocked, you get blocked. If you miss it, you miss it. But it always looks good.”

When asked if he has a more committed and confident thought process when he sees an open lane, he responds with a checkpoint of his learning curve. It wasn’t about learning how to get the dunk off. It was about going all out without the fear of failure.

“That’s something I just learned, just going for it no matter what happens. It’s something I’m kind of used to now.”

The turning point came when he threw down a game-winning dunk in Memphis, making one of the best plays of his where he pried open the clenched jaw of defeat and ripped out the W. Maybe that’s the spark that lit the flame under one of the league’s newest posterization connoisseurs.

“I’m trying to take over cause of that…Nah, I’m just kidding.”

[ltr]
 Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down 3Bmo3BDYjuo0gSMw[/ltr]

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/942946471611006976

Terry Rozier Can Dunk: How the Celtics guard transformed his body and mindset to throw it down EnPOowuX_normalJared Weiss

✔️@JaredWeissNBA

[ltr]Terry Rozier game winning steal and dunk. Put this in the Smithsonian.[/ltr]

6:35 PM - Dec 18, 2017

•  Replies

•  6161 Retweets

•  100100 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down