Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs

+4
jeb
Sam
sinus007
Brandon$$
8 posters

Go down

Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs Empty Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs

Post by Brandon$$ Wed May 05, 2010 12:50 pm

http://www.emptythebench.com/2010/01/26/lebron-james-fouls/

Revealing facts:
1. Lebron averages 1.8 fouls per game compared to the rest of the league which is closer to twice that much. Even other comparable superstars, like Kobe and Wade, average much higher (2.5 range) despite having better defensive reputations. A statistical analysis revealed that this trend has a 1 in a million chance of being explained by just randomness--which means the refs are definitely favoring Lebron. Whether this is designed by the league office or not of course is not proved by the stats. But the trend is certainly there.

2. Over the past two years, Lebron has never accumulated more than 4 fouls in a single game. whereas, other comparable superstars have accumulated 4 at a higher rate, and even accumulated 5 and 6 (fouled out). of course, when a player is plagyed with foul trouble, their game outcome gets drastically affected. Lebron hasnt faced such a scenario in 2 FULL YEARS. Once again, statistical analysis reveals that this is too strong of a trend to be explained by chance or randomness.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs Empty Re: Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs

Post by sinus007 Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Brandon,
Thanks. Interesting read.
I bet that there are a lot of people who, mathematically, can prove the opposite. But in the real world it does look like LJ receives VIP treatment from the league and refs. So, every NBA team that plays against Cavs has to take as a given. Sad reality.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs Empty Re: Statistical proof that Lebron James is favored by the Refs

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Lebron seems to be an anomaly because he's a physical freak for his position. As a "small" forward, he has a great blend of agility, speed, length, and power. Could it be that that combination gives him the ability to defend more closely, without fouling, than others?

And, believe me, I'm not trying to "defend" Lebron. I don't like him, and I'm sick of seeing his name and that supercilious mug plastered all over the place.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Sam

I think most of his fouls happen on offense. He pushes off on almost every drive. He lowers his shoulder and knocks people out of the way. He travels damn near every time he dribbles.

And beyond that it's the fact that many times he creates harsh contact and the defender gets called for a foul for being run over. It used to break that way with Kobe a lot when he would drive late in games.

So you take a guy who is freakishly quick and strong anyway and basicly make him unguardable. Again late in games this shit just kills you.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 pm

I would also be curious if you comparied the traveling calls against the "stars" per minutes played. Where would Bron sit on that one?
Esp stars that handle the ball a lot vs the lessor stars like Rondo ect.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm

If Clark Kent, wearing a Boston Celtic uniform instead of blue tights and a red cape, didn't collect any fouls despite playing 48 minutes/game for 82 games would that be because of bias by the referrees or because he's obviously more capable than the other players on the floor?

This hypothetical scenario assumes he's playing against regular NBA players and not the Justice League of America.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm

My mind has always been boggled at the fact that Wilt Chamberlain never once fouled out of a game despite playing almost the entire game (more than 48 minutes per game one season because of overtimes) over his 14 seasons. I'm sure some stars are given leeway; but I think the physical freak factor also helps.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed May 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Sam

that has always been an interesting fact!

And from what I remember in the later 1/2 of Wilt's career he played a lot more passive when he had 5 fouls too. And how many times do the refs then and now pick the next closest player to the star...........and call the foul on them.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 pm

James vs Russ and Wilt

In 09-10 James averaged a foul every 24.9 minutes in a game that averaged 41.6 fouls per game.
" 60-61 Russ " " " " 22.3 " " " " " " 53.6 " " " .
" 61-62 Wilt " " " " 31.5 " " " " ' " 51.6 " " " .

Like Sam says! Is it physical superiority,prefered treatment or a combination of the two ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 05, 2010 9:57 pm

All NBA superstars are given the benefit of the doubt. In many cases the tie goes to the runner if I may use a baseball analogy.

Lebron gets away with a lot of offensive fouls for example because he is the agressor.

But given that factor and the physical nature of the way he plays you would think that he would get more fouls called on him.

I think it is a subconscious decision on the parts of refs to not make calls against him. Michael Jordan enjoyed the same type of pass. (i.e. he is a superstar therefore he coulld not possibly be at fault for any violation)

Does not matter.......... we are going beat them down anyways.

dboss

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down