bobc33
Sam
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Summer Board Party in Boston - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Board Party in Boston

Post by sinus007 Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Sam and all,
I might be able to come. Don't know for sure, yet.
Thank you very much,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Sinus,

Hope you can make it. If and when you know for sure, let us know via this thread so we can include you in dinner reservations.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Beat, when you get to the Berkshires I'll show you 3 places I've worked at, then we'll head out to Boston but we'll stop just outside of town and I'll show you 8 other places I've worked, and I think there are a couple of places in Boston I didn't show you last year. Lucky you!

Sam, I hope it is a glorious hot summer night as that is when the North End is at it's best.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 14, 2010 5:50 am

Bob

Still no where near 100% sure on this but will keep you posted!!!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Bob,

Yeah, the sweat is part of the attraction.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

I will most likely be on the east coast sometime in July. Right now it looks like the beginning but if it moves to later I will definitely try to fit this in. Boston is one of my favorite US cities and I count it as my "Ellis Island".
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Sam,
Please pencil me in for the July 31 party. It looks like I'll be in Boston for the weekend seeing my older kids.
Thanks a lot,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:20 pm

I hope you can make it, Sinus.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Sam,

I'm in for whatever goes on for July 31date or whatever is decided. Sox Tickets, I would need 2 TXs.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:08 pm

i am glad i'll be visiting family in Nashua NH and can come down and enjoy the day with all of you. that's one for dinner.

so sorry that Mrs Sam can't make it, but i am very much looking forward to meeting the folks i've been chatting with and staying up beat with all year. and look how it's panned out - one more game !

best regards,
Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 pm

looking forward to any updates Sam or others may have on this event ...

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Michael,

It'll be on July 31, and it'll be somewhere in Downtown Boston (most likely the Waterfront). Save the late afternoon and the evening. And we'll probably have a reasonably early brunch the following morning. Details to come; but that should be sufficient information for your planning purposes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 pm

OK; Too much LeBron/Gilbert/Free Agents we're signing until we don't.

I thought it might be time to revive the party thread. July 31 is coming up!

Anyone else that may be joining in?

Did we ever decide on a dinner spot? Legal Seafood by the Long Wharf? It's close to some hotels people stayed at last year, waterfront and transportation. Easy to catch a cab to the North End!

There was also some discussion about social time for those arriving earlier and breakfast/brunch Sunday.

Rumor; Rasheed Wallace may try to attend but if he's tired he may retire a little early.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 pm

NYC -
i'm looking forward to the afternoon and the dinner. it will be great to meet you and the others who can get there. it will definitely be one of the highlights to my East Coast trip this summer !

can't wait to hear where we'll be gathering and what place we'll descend on to eat !

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Just to keep people up-to-date with what's been going on:

I called the Legal Seafoods near the Marriott Long Wharf. (We all had drinks there before moving to the No Name for dinner last August.) We could still have drinks there, but a big table for dinner would probably be out of the question, especially since their reservations are filling up quickly and we never seem to be in a position to give any place a precise number of attendees.

Moreover, the Marriott is having some type of convention on July 31. At the present time, they do have reservations available @ $349 plus tax. Too rich for my blood. But, if others would like to stay there, call soon.

I then called the Union Oyster House, the oldest restaurant in Boston. This place has a broad menu of offerings, including some of the best seafood in Boston. They could provide us with a private room for both the social reception and the following dinner. However, including the cost of a waitress, the fee would be $150 (plus, I assume, a tip for the waitress). They have two rooms. One accommodates 22 people and the other 25. (Same price for both.)

I don't know whether people want to split the cost of the room PLUS meals and drinks. For example, if we have only 15 people show up, we'd be paying $10 a person for the room/waitress plus drinks plus food. I'd like to get a sense for whether people want to do this.

The Millenium Boston Hotel is very close to the Union Oyster House. Their rooms are going for $243 plus tax.

I also have a call in to Pier 4, which is a really nice place with a great harbor view. Although it's a bit of a tourist trap, a lot of locals go there too. Another place with a diverse menu, great popovers, and super seafood. It's also very large. I attended a function there two years ago, and they had one round table that probably fit 15 people and another that fit another 10. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to ask them about where we could congregate for drinks and hors d'oeuvre before dinner.

There are hotels near Pier 4. We had brunch at one of them least year.

Feel free to look at the websites for any of these places.

The Holiday Inn on Blossom Street (about a 10-minute walk from the North End) is where gyso and perhaps some others stayed last year. A room there is now going for $209.95 plus tax. It's not very near any restaurant of note.

I'll probably stay where I did last year, as it's relatively cheap. It's the Comfort Inn on Morrissey Boulevard near the Boston Globe Building. It's bare bones but does have a parking lot and goes for $149 plus tax a night. They have a shuttle that can take you to a subway stop, or you can take a taxi to a restaurant because this place is about three miles from Downtown Boston.

I've been trying to find places with convenient hotels nearby. But some of you may have other suggestions. Please feel free to suggest anything, BUT WITH ThIS CAVEAT. I you want to suggest a place, please do so AFTER you've called and determined how suitable it would be for us. Figure somewhere between 15 and 25 people. Where would we be able to drink and have munchies? Where would be dine? Would the dining facilities be conducive to cross-talking at tables as opposed to the long table we had at No Name last year, where you could talk only with the person to you left, right, or opposite you without moving around and getting in the way of waiters? Would a private room be preferable/available, and at what price? I won't be able to act just armed with the name of a restaurant that someone likes; I'll need all the details too. (In other words, let's spread the work around a little.)

Later tonight, I'll be counting those who previously said they thought they'd be there. I'll list them and ask for confirmations and for any additional people who are definitely able to commit. We're at the point where "maybes" frankly aren't really that helpful. But we'll try to get a place that could be flexible enough to squeeze in one or two unannounced people.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Sam,

Marriott Residence in Charlestown is a good place for people to look at and priced right. It is right over the Charlestown Bridge on the water. You can walk to North End and Long Wharf from hotel. (20 minutes).

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Sam,

First off thank you!

Count me as a definite, though I doubt I'll be staying overnight this year for a variety of reasons. I'm fine with wherever we decide to eat, but my first choice would be Anthony's, I've attached a link to their dinner menu. (note at the bottom it says "We have a fine selection of cigars in our humidor located at our cashier desk." in case we want an after dinner smoke to honor Arnold.

http://www.pier4.com/menu/dinner.cfm

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Oh and how could I forget the dessert menu, which has Cheesecake, Heavenly Bread Pudding and Hot Baked Indian Pudding among many other fine choices.

http://www.pier4.com/desserts/menu.cfm

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Sam and Bob,

Either restaurant works here.

I've been getting back into the gym and trying to eat right, so Bob's including that dessert menu is not helping!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:Sam and Bob,

Either restaurant works here.

I've been getting back into the gym and trying to eat right, so Bob's including that dessert menu is not helping!

Regards

Just for one night, and then 5 straight days in the gym for you! Oh and don't forget the canollis in the North End afterwards, make that 10 days in the gym.

Summer Board Party in Boston - Page 2 Cannolis_white

Last edited by bobc33 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture added to torture NYC)

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:19 am

Bob,

That last picture might not top Cowens' avatar, but it sure is beautiful in its own right!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 am

Let's settle on Pier 4 as a place both to socialize and to eat in the same room with a waitress assigned to us. The room will cost us $200, and the forum can pick up $100 of that. We can take a count of attendees, figure out a recommended contribution per attendee to cover the other $100, and post a receptacle for VOLUNTEER contributions. If we wind up short, I'll pick up the remainder.

The room can accommodate up to 50, and I'm sure we'll be WAY short of that.

People will have to pay for their own food and drinks. The waitress' tip will will be added to the food/drink bill.

Pier 4 has a huge parking lot. It can be reached by public transportation. It's a beautiful setting on Boston Harbor. Has great food of all types. It'll really impress the spouses. URL for the menu: http://www.pier4.com/menu/dinner.cfm
It doesn't show prices, which kind of frosts me; and it's not dirt cheap, but it's not mega-expensive either. A lot of families eat there.

It'll be a cab ride to the North End afterwards, as it was last year from the No Name. (which is quite near Pier 4).

Is this okay with everyone?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 am

Sam wrote:Let's settle on Pier 4 as a place both to socialize and to eat in the same room with a waitress assigned to us. The room will cost us $200, and the forum can pick up $100 of that. We can take a count of attendees, figure out a recommended contribution per attendee to cover the other $100, and post a receptacle for VOLUNTEER contributions. If we wind up short, I'll pick up the remainder.

The room can accommodate up to 50, and I'm sure we'll be WAY short of that.

People will have to pay for their own food and drinks. The waitress' tip will will be added to the food/drink bill.

Pier 4 has a huge parking lot. It can be reached by public transportation. It's a beautiful setting on Boston Harbor. Has great food of all types. It'll really impress the spouses. URL for the menu: http://www.pier4.com/menu/dinner.cfm
It doesn't show prices, which kind of frosts me; and it's not dirt cheap, but it's not mega-expensive either. A lot of families eat there.

It'll be a cab ride to the North End afterwards, as it was last year from the No Name. (which is quite near Pier 4).

Is this okay with everyone?

Sam

Sam,

Fine with me, no surprise there! If we wind up short though I'll chip in more with you. With all you do I don't think any financial loss should fall on you alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 am

Sam,
Ditto to BobC.
Thanks.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 am

sounds like a great choice ! thx, see you there and then (whenever we pick a time for the "then" ... Summer Board Party in Boston - Page 2 Icon_smile )

anyone looking to do anything that afternoon ? i think the aquarium's nearby, isn't it ?

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next