mrkleen09
bobc33
Sam
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Summer Board Party in Boston - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Board Party in Boston

Post by Sam Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:20 pm

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE FOR BOSTON PARTY (JULY 31-AUGUST 1)

Saturday, July 31:

5:30 Cocktails and conversation at Pier 4; 140 Northern Ave.; Boston MA 02210
to.....(I'll ask them to post the whereabouts of "Sam's Celtics Forum," or you can ask them to direct you to the room for "Sam's Celtics
7:00 Forum."

7:00 Dinner from the Pier 4 menu in the same room
to
????

After Cab to North End for cannolis, etc.
dinner

Sunday, August 1:

9:00- Buffet brunch/breakfast at Renaissance (Hotel) Boston; 606 Congress St.; Boston, MA 02210; 617-338-4111
?????

Notes: Pier 4 and the Renaissance Hotel are within walking distance of one another. If you're interested in staying at the Renaissance, they
currently have availabilities for July 31. Double occupancy summer promotional rate is the cheapest: $269 plus tax includes a
voucher for future airline travel. (They couldn't tell me how much it's good for or what airline(s) it might be restricted to. You
might want to ask.) For an extra $20, they'll include breakfast (the brunch we'll be going to) for two, which might save you a few
bucks.

We had brunch at this place last year, and it was very good. It also begins early in the day (many don't start until 11:00), permitting
out-of-towners to make a reasonably early getaway. The Renaissance has no garage but does have valet parking. Some people
were able to park free on the street during the brunch last year.

A double room at the Holiday Inn on Blossom St. (617-742-7630) is probably $60 less expensive than the Renaissance if you can get one of the Holiday Inn promotional rates, and it's a 15-20 minute walk from the North End, whereas the Renaissance is a cab ride from the North End.

The Holiday Inn charges an additional $36 per night for parking, and the Renaissance charges an additional $42 for valet overnight parking.

The closest subway stop is a mile away from the Holiday Inn and 1/10 of a mile from the Renaissance.

I'll probably stay at the Renaissance, largely due to its proximity to both Pier 4 and the Ted Williams Tunnel, which takes you quickly to the airport or southward from Boston (which is the direction in which I'll be heading by car).

As was the case a year ago, there will be an Italian Festival during our visit to the North End. It really livens up a place that needs no livening up on a summer Saturday night. There's lots to eat and plenty of merriment. When we lived a few blocks away for 23 years (ending about 2003), they used to have amusements at some festivals, but I kind of doubt there's room now.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Pier 4 sounds great!

I'm happy to contribute whatever is needed to the room cost.

Now if I could only stop looking at that picture of the canollls Bob put up on his earlier post.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Sam (et al)

I just got an opportunity to DJ a party in Hampton Beach New Hampshire the night of the 31st - and the money they are throwing at me is too much to turn down.

I just recently bought my first home in Beverly, MA and need to make every bit of extra money I can. Unfortunately, this means I will be unable to attend the board meet up.

Hope you all have a great time, and maybe we can get a block of tickets to a Celtics game this season and have another meet up then.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:39 am

Sorry we won't get to meet you, Mrkleen, and it's understandable that it would be too much of a hassle for you to make it into Boston just for the Sunday breakfast. There will be more parties. Good luck with the job and with your new home. A first home. very exciting event in one's life. I remember that, when I bought my first home, I spent much of the first day, with windows closed, cranking up music to the max—because I finally could after years of apartment living. Much happiness in your home.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks Sam....much appreciated.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Okay, we're all set to have both our reception and dinner at Pier 4 on Saturday, July 31. I've got a fairly large private room reserved, so bring as many people as you'd like. (It will accommodate up to 50.) It's reserved from 5:30 to 9:30. We'll have a waitress or waiter to get us drinks during the reception period and to serve us dinner, which each person will select off the Pier 4 menu.

I suspect we'll try to order dinner about 6:30 because it will probably take a while for the food to reach us. So be sure to be there by 6:30. Whenever dinner reaches us, the reception will be over and we'll dine in the same room. We just need to pay and vacate the place by 9:30....and then on to the North End. I'll pay the entire bill and will collect from each individual. (I'm not sure how we'll keep track of what food and drink each person orders, but I'll think of something.

Just to reiterate, the room is costing $200, of which the board is paying $100. I'll be asking for donations to help cover the other $100. That way, people can donate whatever they feel able to, including nothing if people are on tight budgets. Otherwise, you'll only pay for what you eat and drink plus a tip for the waitstaff.

Dress will be informal (like sport shirts and slacks for the guys and whatever is the equivalent of that for women).

Due to the size of the room, I don't really need to know precisely who's coming and who's not coming in advance. Just show up around between 5:30 and 6:30, and there will be room for you.

Pier 4 is at 140 Northern Avenue in Boston, and the phone number there is 617-482-6262. For driving directions, go to:
http://www.pier4.com/directions.cfm

They have a large parking lot. The nearest "T" stop is the Courthouse Station on the Silver Line. Pier 4 is further down Seaway Blvd. on the left. When you get to Pier 4, Sam's Celtics Forum will be posted, with information on the what room we'll be occupying. The dinner menu may be seen at: http://www.pier4.com/menu/dinner.cfm

I hope we'll get a lot of people. Among other things, this represents the first Boston party for this forum, and the turnout will be a partial barometer of the advisability of future parties.

I look forward to meeting everyone who can make it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3