Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears.

+9
bigpygme
gyso
babyskyhook
mrkleen09
beat
Sam
jeb
sdceltfan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Empty Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears.

Post by sdceltfan Sat May 08, 2010 12:57 pm

I have said since December that the Celtics are greatly lacking in heart and what's between the ears. I have been accused of being a naysayer, a pessimist, anti-Celtics, you name it. Well, the Celtics continue to make my argument, and have all season. If an opponent throws a haymaker at them, they backoff like a frightened puppy. No one has backed off more Pierce. Someone said he did not have a foul yesterday. What determination. What aggressiveness. Only Perkins, Rondo, and Tony Allen have shown the guts required to win this championship.

The Celtics committed no less than 5 fouls in the first quarter that had nothing to do with good defense. Just stupidity and lack of aggressiveness in the most important game of the year. I would start Tony Allen. He along with Perkins and Rondo don't back off. They don't appear like deer in the headlights. How could such a change happen. ? Could it be the difference between having Wallace on this team rather than Posey? Could it be winning a championship 2 years ago? Could it be just plain aging players? We just beat the Cavs on their home court.

The Celtis still have opportunities to be something greater, but since December they are what they are - baffling and disappointing!

Go Celtics!

Wallace is dreadful. Were I coach his feet would not hit the court the rest of the playoffs. He shows no desire to play Celtic defense. NONE. He is an embarrassment.

This team has not shown the balls to win a championship. Not since December!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Empty Re: Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears.

Post by jeb Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Wallace is bad true. As to your other points. They have had one bad game in the playoffs. Have you been watching the playoffs? It's been great so far other than last night. Almost like watching a new team.

The game before was pretty important too eh? Seems they played pretty well. Seems their brains and heart were just fine when they were winning by 25 deep in indian country.

It has been a puzzling team yes but your just using the worst game of the year to make all your wider points about how shitty this years team is.

If you would have said these things before last night they would have been laughable. Imho they still are.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Empty Re: Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears.

Post by sdceltfan Sat May 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Jeb, you said your eyes tell you what you see. Well, my eyes tell me what I see. I don't criricze you for it, but my instincts about this team have been pretty accurate. You must agree some of this team's performances have been baffling and very disappointing, from December to today. I have never accused another Celtic team (in over 50 years) of such lack of professionalism. but their inconsistent play deserves to be called out.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Well said, Jeb.

The Celtics rather easily wiped out a Heat team that was billed as one of the "hot" teams, with a surprisingly good defense entering the playoffs. Were the pelotas missing then?

The "ball-less" Celtics then marched into a heavily favored Cleveland and outplayed the Cavs twice. They let the first game get away, and a team with nothing much below the waist could easily have caved in the second game. But they did the precise opposite, by roaring back and counterpunched, blowing the Cavs out. Did they have a round spheroid vacuum in Game 2?

The Cavs are not a bunch of chopped liver; and, like any great team, they counterpunched in a big way. More credit to them. The Celtics have suffered playoff blowouts in every era. Does that mean they neglected to strap them on for those games?

Anyone who's been a fan of the game for a while should know that stuff happens. One team sometimes has a better game plan than the other. One team sometimes FOLLOWS the game plan better than the other. Teams get in and out of rhythm; and, when the rhythm stops, occasionally the momentum can just become overwhelming.

This Celtics team suffers from consistency. I've been openly concerned about the fact that it's been a different hero in many successive winning games. They don't have a consistent formula for success, and they never really had an opportunity to develop one this year. Just the fact that certain guys stepped up (Tony) and certain guys stepped down (Quis) contributed to the inconsistency, even when they were at full strength.

They got utterly swarmed by a great, determined team last night. Sometimes they've been the swarmEES, and sometimes they've been the swarmERS. To characterize the team based on one bad loss is...let's just say...ill-advised. To try to justify the characterization by linking it to stuff that happened under very different circumstances is...well, I'll just leave it at that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat May 08, 2010 2:31 pm

I would submit that the same things that drive us all crazy are what makes this years team so very dangerous. We have 6 guys that can KILL you. We all might shit the bed on the same night. 6 players might score 15 points. We dont know but neither do the goddam cavs. Can you imagine trying to prepare for this years celtics team? Talk about scary.

However, within a wider context this years team is impossible to label or describe. There are just way too many rooms in the mansion. The Celtics have been the prettiest team in the nba and among the worst. But they have caught my eye with improved effort and execution and a lack of fear in the playoffs. My guess is they will respond with great and furious anger.

We aint done til somebody beats us four.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Jeb,

There's a lot of difference between not having any heart in general and becoming dispirited when a team incurs a negative run that happens to all teams at one point or another. There's no question about inconsistency. But it's the playoffs. There's sort of a tendency for the pendulum to swing back and forth unless the two teams are mismatched.

I read a post by someone in another forum that complained that the Cavs scored every time the Celtics missed, and he blamed it on poor defense. But it's amazing how the defense can magically tighten when a team is shooting a high percentage. It makes it tougher for the other team to push the ball, and both these teams succeed when they can consistently push the ball.

So I continue to believe that the key for the Celtics is to make the Cavs keep taking the ball out of the basket. And I also believe that the key to defense is energy, and the energy receives an adrenalin boots when the offense is clicking.

So I'm hoping for the offense of the Celtics to get into gear. And I think the key to offense for a team like the Celts is rhythm. In Games One and Two, their offense was in motion much of the time; it occasionally looked like they were running the old weave. That, combined with the extra pass and spacing the floor well, are my personal keys to developing or maintaining rhythm.

So what I'm going to be watching for most in Game Four are offensive motion, ball movement, and floor spacing. If the Celts can accomplish those three things, I think we'll see a domino effect on the defensive stinginess of their defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat May 08, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm with you on the bit about taking the ball outta the hoop. Legler said the same exact words on espn and you have been saying it all year. They(Cavs) were really up on the celts playing right in their jerseys. Celts saw Bron nailing contested jumpers and got down. If he makes jump shots and gets scoring support from two players the cavs are near unbeatable. But we CAN score on them and we must. The Lakers got mauled in OKC and people were forecasting their doom and they just went about their business and I think we will too. These guys have all been there and wont rattle.

Anyway we will all know very soon. And if we manage to win the Magic (whom I feel are currently playing the best ball) are waiting. But I tell you this...the Celtics wont allow any dancing and mugging in game four. It's up to them and I think they will respond in kind.

What a weird series so far. We go in and dominate 6 of 8 quarters in cleve and they beat us like a dirty rug in our building.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat May 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Anyone that is still living in the Posey era is living in the PAST.

He got his cash. His choice not ours.

I'll worry about the game tomorrow and team at hand, cause Posey isn't scoring ONE point for us at this point, (and not a lot for NO either)
And as Jeb said..........takes four to move on.

I remember many Celtic loses in the playoffs BIG ones too. Many were followed by victories.

Heck I like our chances better than about 22 other NBA teams right now.
AND the greatest bonus........we are having MOTHERS DAY dinner this evening with the entire family (most of it) thus freeing up viewing time for an expected better game tomorrow!!!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat May 08, 2010 3:26 pm

How did I know we would hear from SD today?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sat May 08, 2010 6:46 pm

A bit of reality, Mrkleen. A bit of reality. Just another indication that the Celtics have a lot of work to do before next season. The Celtics looked like a defeated bunch on the floor and on the bench. Me, I was rooting for them. They quit on me, not me quitting on them.

Maybe I am too "old school", but being outrebounded 25 to 10 the first half on your on court is pretty disappointing. Just ask Doc.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Once again SD...we hear from you with a long list of negative on the day after a tough loss...but you refuse to give them their due when they play well.

I agree they played terribly last night. I agree they are a flawed team. I agree that it is healthy to criticize and critique a team, and you can be a glass half empty person and still be a big fan. I am not questioning your loyalty.

But I do find your comments to be very short sighted, especially for someone that supposedly has been a fan for a long, long time. This team has been a lot of fun to watch the last 3 years and even with all their problems, they are one of the LAST 8 TEAMS IN THE NBA still standing. That alone is a major accomplishment.

If they looked defeated last night, it was because they were getting their butts handed to them. They didnt look defeated on Tuesday - and as usual you were nowhere to be found to give them their fair due in the aftermath.

If reality to you means nit picking and complaining about they cant do this or that, or that they played as good as they are capable after a loss - which was clearly WRONG - then count me out. The pending demise of the Celtics has been great exaggerated by you for many months now...and last I looked, it took 4 games to win a series - so we still have a LONG way to go.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat May 08, 2010 7:21 pm

by Sam Today at 12:05 pm

I read a post by someone in another forum that complained that the Cavs scored every time the Celtics missed, and he blamed it on poor defense. But it's amazing how the defense can magically tighten when a team is shooting a high percentage. It makes it tougher for the other team to push the ball, and both these teams succeed when they can consistently push the ball.

So I continue to believe that the key for the Celtics is to make the Cavs keep taking the ball out of the basket. And I also believe that the key to defense is energy, and the energy receives an adrenalin boots when the offense is clicking.

Sam-

I saw the first half on my dvr last night, and I totally agree with your thinking here. I was really surprised by how dysfunctional the Cs looked in their halfcourt sets. No one was moving, KG wasn't posting up Jamison, etc. It was a big surprise after seeing how Rondo had dissected the Cavs in the previous two games. The Cavs were able to turn Rondo into a semi-volume shooter, and as a result, the rest of the Cs were not getting as good of looks as they had in the first two games. Stagnant offense led to lots of runouts, where the Cs couldn't set their D, and then the snowball effect seemed to kick in.

The Cavs were the more desperate and hungry team from what I saw, but I would expect the reverse on Sunday. Cavs will be feeling pretty good about themselves, while Cs will be (should be) playing with their backs to the wall.

They need to make an adjustment to how the Cavs are going under screens and letting Rondo shoot, but that shouldn't be hard. As long as they get Rondo distributing again, I think their offense will be fine.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat May 08, 2010 7:22 pm

And if the Cs win tomorrow, it's a whole new series.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Sky,

I hope their offense will be fine. I believe it's their most vulnerable point. And it continues to bother me when Rondo's scoring dominates the stats more than his distributing does. Not that I resent his scoring at all—certainly ANY scoring is welcome. It's just that the Celts offense tends to be more out of balance when he's forced to focus on his scoring.

Hoping for the best tomorrow.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat May 08, 2010 7:36 pm

SD,

I do not think it is a matter of heart but you have to question their mind set. I mean what were they thinking. They got the road win they needed, they showed up Leaveland at Leaveland and they were not expecting them to come out swinging in Boston? They went away from their entire 2 game plan in Leaveland, what's up with that.

I got so discussed listening to those 3 nitwits on ESPN I had to shut off the sound, then I bounced to the Red Sox game and that became unbearable and I had to call it a night.

Getting back to the C's, Pierce has to regroup and show himself better on Sunday. If we don't win tomorrow, it's over. We have to keep pace and force this to a game 6 or 7 to have a chance.

Summer is going to be interesting! If I were Ainge:

1) The C's need to trade Wallace and eat some salary or just buy the big bum out of his contract and be done with the mistake. Hey, they won on Robinson and saved $2 million by him not earning his bonus for making the play-offs per his contract ($1 Million to make plus $1 million luxury tax) so they may have to eat some with Wallace. So be it. The guy is hardly in the paint on offense and he in no way is playing physical defense. Guys pass him in the lane for drives to the basket like a New Yorker late for work! That's Bull Dink basketball!

2) Let PP go free agent then sign him to a lesser per year contract and let him finish as a Celtic and at the same time lower team payroll;

3) Sign RA and have him come off the bench;

4) Get younger and more athletic to complement RR and his speed. Why sign a guy to a 5 year deal and not complement his speed and skills. Got to put a group together for some up tempo basketball or you'll just waste RR and what he brings to the court every night;

5) Need a backup point guard, TA does not fit the bill and Robinson is limited because of his height & defense. Perhaps this guy Oliver Lafayette could fit the bill and come cheap at the same time.

Let's just hope Sunday brings better results.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat May 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Another glaring error they did not correct was not bringing up another player to cut off the guy off a screen and pick a roll which allowed thm to cut to the basket all night. Leaveland tried this in game 1 & 2 and either PP or TA came in to cut the lane down. Are the coaches or the players asleep or both?

Last edited by 112288 on Sat May 08, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat May 08, 2010 7:50 pm

good post guys. All of them valid and true. A very srange season and a very difficult team to read.

As Sam likes to point out...once you show you CAN do something it's not like that skill goes away cause of a bad night. If the Cavs are taking the ball out of the hoop all night everything will change accordingly. We must attack them and play all out on offense and make THEM react to us.

Else it could be a long game.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Here is a small bit of Celtic history. I added the video links for flavoring.

Aaahhhh! Memories.

Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Icon_sunny 1984 NBA Finals Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Icon_sunny

Game 1: LAL 115 BOS 109

Game 2: BOS 124 BOS 121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ui-iLWBugI&feature=related

Game 3: LAL 137 BOS 104

Boston lost the third game of the series by 33 points. Badly.

I hope you remember how this all turned out:

Game 4 BOS 129 LAL 125

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkgpxY3MOQ&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdOCiA4-Gyg&feature=related

Game 5 BOS 121 LAL 103

Game 6: LAL 119 BOS 108

Game 7 BOS 111 LAL 102 Lack Of Posey, Heart, Matter Between The Ears. Icon_cheers

There is a very wise statement made at the 9:28 mark of the 2nd Game 4 video link. A simple five word sentence.

It was true then and it is true now.

One last link, for S & G's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NBA_Finals

From the quotes at the bottom:

It feels great, whatever happened to the Los Angeles dynasty? You guys are talking about a dynasty, there it is (the O'Brien Trophy) right there, that's the dynasty. We're the best team in the world right now, the best out there.

— Red Auerbach during the championship celebrations with Brent Musburger after Game 7.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 pm

gyso

sometimes you lay an egg. It's whether or not you get up and fight back that matters. i learned that when I was 6.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat May 08, 2010 10:21 pm

No question but we must awaken the sleeping giant first. They have seemed to have fallen asleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Oh, the very wise statement made at the 9:28 mark of the 2nd Game 4 video link that I mentioned above?

The simple five word sentence?

Don't go writing the obituary

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

gyso

It is easy to leap to conclusions good or bad. Usually it aint half as bad OR half as good as it seems.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 pm

ok, we won game 4 behind superb play by Rondo. who to say he shouldn't look to score some buckets? he did EVERYTHING in buckets yesterday !!

oh, by the way, anyone seen SD today ????????????????????????????

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm

bigpyg

he is as blissed out as the rest of us
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon May 10, 2010 3:49 pm

ohhhhhhh - that MUST be it, Jeb - i should've realized that, as a loyal C's fan like the rest of us, he'd be quietly celebrating a magnificent effort by our beloved C's ...
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next