Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation

+3
sinus007
wideclyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation Empty Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/nerlens-noel-hanging-thread-mavericks-233929450.html

Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation

Dan Feldman
NBC Sports•Nov 15, 2017, 3:39 PM

Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation 41b9a255948c5862c40a0a561d84d35c

Nerlens Noel‘s last four games:

• Six minutes
  • DNP-CD
  • Two minutes
  • Five minutes

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, via Tim MacMahon of ESPN:

“Look, minutes have to be earned,” Carlisle said. “At this point, if it’s between him and Salah, Salah has earned the minutes. There’s no doghouse here. There just isn’t. It’s pretty simple: You compete, and if you earn minutes, you get minutes. And you’ve got to compete to keep them, because it’s a competitive situation.”

Noel, via MacMahon:

“I’m good, I’m good,” Noel said. “I’m a very self-confident player. I know I can go in there and change games. When my number is called, I’ll do just that and help some winning efforts. That’s all my play style is about, is just winning. When I’m called on, I’ll bring my winning effort.”

The Mavericks reportedly thought Noel was worth $17.5 million annually last summer. Now, he can barely get playing time on a 2-13 team?
This is why players who sign the qualifying offer, like Noel did last summer, rarely re-sign the following offseason.

Noel makes a lot of plays defensively – some good, some bad. He needs playing time to refine his impressive tools. If they had him locked up long-term, the Mavericks probably would have more interest in developing him. As is, they could be leery of helping him just so another team reaps the rewards next season.

Though he’s saying all the right things, Noel would rightfully be frustrated by this situation. He has only one year to prove himself before unrestricted free agency, and he’s mostly stuck to the bench. The team with his Bird Rights, intentionally or not, is suppressing his value.
Dallas has a surplus of centers: Noel, Dirk Nowitzki, Salah Mejri, Dwight Powell and Jeff Withey. Mejri is playing very well right now, and Nowitzki is grandfathered minutes.

Noel will eventually get more playing time. Perhaps, this tough love benefits him long-term.

But this isn’t pretty right now.

bob
MY NOTE:  Gotta give credit to Mark Cuban for hanging in there with Rick Carlisle.  He brings in Rondo for him and it doesn't work (yes, that could be Rondo's fault too.  It takes two to tango) and then he brings in Noel and that isn't working.  A lot of GMs would move the coach instead of the players but Cuban is being very patient and loyal.  I guess that's what comes along with coaching a championship team for him.  Fair enough.  If getting you a ring isn't worth a little extra rope, what is?

Expect the drumbeat for a Noel trade to get louder in coming months, and not just about the Celtics.  He's as gone from Dallas as Okafor is from Philly and everybody knows it including Cuban.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation Empty Re: Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation

Post by wideclyde Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

I had been a fan of Noel in the past, but he seems to have found his way into the land of guys who are still quite young and are being labeled as "busts" already.

Once I thought that he would have been a good fit for the Cs, but now with his second failure to earn playing time on two separate teams with two different coaches I am not even partially sure that he would still be worth looking at.

Of course, I do know that changes of scenery do often help players and also that Stevens seems to have a magic touch with guys who have struggled elsewhere.

Whether this guy can change his success strategy or not, it does seem that even high draft pick guys drafted by the 'ers seem to fall apart upon reaching the NBA. He and Okafor may have trouble even finding an NBA contract next summer any where above something like a "camp invite".

On another 'ers note, how good would this franchise be if they had drafted different guys in place of Noel and Okafor? They may be the team leading the East if they had chosen our Marcus Smart.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation Empty Re: Nerlens Noel hanging on thread of Mavericks rotation

Post by sinus007 Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 am

Hi,
Will Noel be beneficial to Celtics if Dallas decides to let him go?
If yes, what we can use to get him?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Noel would be a good player for us, IMO, IF we had Hayward. Noel will be a rental, he'll still want big bucks (he turned down 17 mill/yr from DAL), and we need to worry about Smart and Kyrie.

At this point, I'd rather have Okafor, only because he is cheaper
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:51 pm

I noted on another thread about this, that I ahd read that Noel's bird rights do NOT move with him in any trade, since he is playing on his RFA tender.

if true, he will be only a rental for ANYONE who trades for him, most likely
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm

kdp59 wrote:I noted on another thread about this, that I ahd read that Noel's bird rights do NOT move with him in any trade, since he is playing on his RFA tender.

If that is the case, then any team that he signs with next season needs to have cap space to fit him in if he wants to get more than MLE money.

That drops us from that conversation.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

gyso wrote:
kdp59 wrote:I noted on another thread about this, that I ahd read that Noel's bird rights do NOT move with him in any trade, since he is playing on his RFA tender.

If that is the case, then any team that he signs with next season needs to have cap space to fit him in if he wants to get more than MLE money.

gyso

gyso,

Our DPE only applies to players that are in their last contract year.  That makes most players we pick up with it being short-term rentals anyway.  

This year is this year, next year is next year.  We are on top of the world right now.  If Noel can help us stay there through this year's playoffs...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I would try to pick up an older prospect like this, but if there's no chance of resigning them due to lack of Bird rights, it seems pointless.

Semi is okay, but he's too raw if we are going for the title. Theis, Baynes and Morris are ready, but we lack depth upfront. If we are truly going for #18 this year, Danny needs to add another center, imho.

There's room for one more big. Okafor for all his bad press and looking like a dinosaur for today's game could be a nice idea.

Baynes is keeping Al fresh. We need one more beast because the new strategy of having real centers needs to be reinforced. Baynes as a free agent might not be back. Just something to consider.

If Smart's gone, we'll miss his defense, but the parts are already here to replace him. We are very thin at real center. The Olynyk-Zeller-Amir-Sully stretch 4-5 players were fine for bridge years, but Baynes has been a revelation.

We might have won another title with KG if Danny had found a decent replacement for Perk?
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I am not sure that Noel is not already greatly wishing that he had not turned down the $17 M offer that he had.

Since this time last year he was basically dumped on Dallas because he did not earn enough minutes and make a god enough contribution in Philly, and now he is again not playing for whatever reasons.  Dallas is trying to move him now.  

Right now this guy has absolutely no legs to stand on, in my opinion, to get even a contract for next season beyond what he may be making right now.  He has no minutes, no stats, etc, etc that could get him a raise of any kind.  Also, and it has not been  written, it seems like he just cannot make a contribution in Dallas and they have a 2-13 record which may be worse than Philly's record when he was sent to Dallas.

He may end up looking for a "camp invite" or perhaps a "vet minimum" type of deal next season.  Neither of those situations will likely ever get him back to getting "star" type salary (at least until he can re-prove himself).

Could Stevens straighten him out?  Perhaps, but only if he gets bought out and can be added to the roster on a vet minimum deal.  He is no way near valuable enough to use up the salary exemption space that the Cs have for Hayward.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

gyso

gyso,

Our DPE only applies to players that are in their last contract year.  That makes most players we pick up with it being short-term rentals anyway.  

This year is this year, next year is next year.  We are on top of the world right now.  If Noel can help us stay there through this year's playoffs...

bob

Bob,

Your are correct in that the DPE player could be a one year rental, but I don't think Noel is the answer.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down