Phil Pressey
mulcogiseng
9 posters

Go down

POST GAME ORLANDO - HOME Empty POST GAME ORLANDO - HOME

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Avoids Win-Streak Hangover With Win Over Magic

NESN by Dakota Randall on Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 9:46PM

After seeing the Boston Celtics’ 16-game win streak come to an end Wednesday against the Miami Heat, many wondered if the C’s would suffer from an emotional hangover Friday. Well, you can put those worries to rest. Boston throttled the Orlando Magic at the TD Garden, emerging with a 118-103 victory.

And while the defense once again was stout, it was the offense that benefited from a much-needed explosion. The Celtics had five players in double-figures: Kyrie Irving (30), Terry Rozier (career-high 23), Jaylen Brown (13), Jayson Tatum (11) and Aron Baynes (12). Al Horford led the Celts with 10 assists, and Baynes topped the team with 11 rebounds. Furthermore, the offense perhaps was the most crisp it’s been all season, as the Celtics shot 42-for-91 (46.2 percent) on 27 assists. Also, the much-maligned bench scored a season-high 49 points. With the win, the Celtics improved to 17-3 on the season, while the Magic dropped to 8-11. Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE PG: Kyrie Irving SG: Jaylen Brown SF: Jayson Tatum PF: Marcus Morris C: Al Horford

FAST START… FINALLY The Celtics have gotten off to rough starts in too many games lately, but that certainly wasn’t the case Friday. The C’s hung 40 on the Magic in the first quarter, the most they’ve scored in the first frame all season. Brown led the charge with 10 points including two 3-pointers, but he wasn’t alone, as the Celts shot 68 percent from the field and drained seven of 12 3-pointers. Horford was in the middle of everything, as he scored three points and have seven assists. This impressive play from Marcus Smart and Baynes punctuated an electric first quarter: The C’s finished the first frame with a 40-26 lead.

BENCH COMES UP BIG Boston didn’t let up in the second quarter, as it expanded its lead to 26 and held a 73-47 advantage at halftime. And while the starters certainly had their moments, it was the bench who stole the show in the second frame. And that was much-needed, as the C’s bench has played poorly recently. Rozier had great second quarter, as he scored eight points, including two 3-pointers. Semi Ojeleye chipped in five points, including a sorely needed three, and Baynes scored six. In the end though, it was Irving who really brought the Garden crowd to its feet, thanks to moves like this: Irving led all scorers with 17 points at the break. The Celtics shot 28-for-49 in the first half, good for 57.1 percent. On, and they did so with 21 assists.

ALL ABOUT KYRIE If the Magic were going to make a comeback, they needed a big third quarter. Irving, however, made sure that didn’t happen. The star point guard, who was showered with “M.V.P.” chants throughout the night, scored 13 points in the third quarter, including two 3-pointers. And as is so often the case, he made regular contributions to the highlight reel. Boston closed the third quarter with a 99-69, thanks in no small part to Irving’s 30 points.

GARBAGE-TIME LETDOWN You know the game’s in hand when Guerschon Yabusele starts the fourth quarter. Except one problem: The Magic didn’t go down without a fight. Orlando came out firing in the fourth, though, as they opened the frame on a 19-5 run to lower the Celtics lead to 16, and eventually shrunk it all the way to 14. But it was too little, too late, and the Celtics eventually prevailed with a 15-point victory.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT Say what you want about Smart’s shooting woes, but you can’t argue with plays like this:

UP NEXT The Celtics head back on the road to face the Indiana Pacers on Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to top Go down

POST GAME ORLANDO - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME ORLANDO - HOME

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Right now this may be the most important win of the season. The overcoming of the injury to GH followed by a 16 game win streak was impressive. But the last half dozen games the Celtics play was regressing right along with Smart's shooting woes. But he and the Celtics did what they needed to do. Dominate!

One of the most difficult things for fans to endure is the loss of beloved players. It started a couple of years ago when Evan Turner left for greener pastures. But that was nothing compared to the wholesale changes that Danny made this offseason Yet who is really missing Avery and IT? Sure we were sorry to see them go but can there be any denial of the fact that this team is much better this season?

Kyrie isn't just a great offensive player, he is a much better defender than was thought which makes him a huge upgrade over IT. And he isn't really playing close to his potential yet.

Jaylen Brown is so much better this season that it is mind boggling. I could gush on for a bit but suffice to say that he might be showing a slightly scratched surface not even 20 games into his second season. And that's a very good thing!

Glad to see TRo have a better game and in fact a career game. 23pts,6 rebounds and two assists. Keep it up please.

Nice little seven minutes from Bear. He didn't fill up the stat sheet but he didn't look as out of place and he made a couple of nice plays.

People like to bandy about terms like signature win and this victory had the Celtics signature all over it. When they play Celtics basketball they are virtually unbeatable. Make the pass, hit the open man, make another pass and get the points. That's the way this team should be playing and tonight was noteworthy because they did exactly what was needed to get the team back on track.

I like Theis even when he doesn't play. But what's up with that?

Looking for the +1 tomorrow night.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 am

I don't miss any of them. Did we miss Nomar Garciaparra? The results speak for themself.

It's been crazy to see Rozier put up Marcus Smart numbers. Tonight was needed.

Everyone seems to be wondering what's up with Theis. Is he banged up? Maybe Brad didn't like the match up. Maybe it is strategy for the back to back. Brad Stevens approaches basketball as if it is chess.

That was a big win because we are going for a top seed. The C's are good on the road, but home court is important.

Brad took the first part of the season to solidify the starters. I guess that's why he has been sticking with Morris. Rozier and Smart is a great combo off the bench. Semi was a bit less robotic on offense and threw in that nice high layup bank shot.

Horford did not look lethargic tonight. Treat him like fine wine. He is the key to a championship. His prime is running out. That's why Danny will eventually make more moves. This season cannot be wasted. The eye test says pinch me, are Brown and Tatum truly as good as they look? I say yes. The future is now.

The new NBA is weird in that players are always moving around. Five guys are going nowhere.

Irving
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Hayward

Everyone else is completely up in the air for various reasons. But those other guys are needed. If they aren't staying, their unique roles will need to be somewhat replaced.

I'm thinking Baynes and Smart.

I doubt Danny keeps the next big draft pick unless it is top five. Even then I expect him to trade it unless there are some phenoms the year it finally kicks in.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, very important game to have won. And, a pretty well played game at that even against a weaker opponent.

I did not like being outrebounded again for the second game in a row, however. The Cs cannot let their rebounding slip back to last year's level if they are going to be a better team.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 am

Guess what surprised me was 0 minutes for Larkin and Theis.

As far as our starters they all had less than 28 minutes so we should be ok as far as rest goes. Indy had a tough game getting a close win against Toronto.   

Hopefully we come out firing tonight like last evening.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:22 am

Missing this weekend's games to be at my son's basketball tournament, but catching them on the DVR at some point. Sounds like a balanced plan for minutes by the coaching staff in preparing for a back-to-back. In a game where the outcome is not in doubt, playing a player or two who rides the bench and resting others, some reserves with the night off. Good way to prepare.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:22 am

Morris is not playing tonight in Indy.  He isn't even traveling with the team, he's staying in Boston to do rehab on his knee (uh oh), but this was a known and was planned before last night's game.  Theis might not have played because Brad knew that he'd be without Morris tonight and is planning on playing Theis big minutes tonight.  We'll see.

Shane Larkin hit his head on the floor in the Miami game and was a game-time decision.  We were up big, we didn't need him (some are saying we don't need him, period) so he sat for that too.

Jaylen Brown is traveling today to Atlanta for the funeral of his friend.  He is questionable for tonight's game due to travel issues.  Brad has given him permission to take the game off.  Expect Smart to play heavy minutes on Oladipo.  The Pacers beat Toronto in Indy last night.  The Pacers are now 11-8, ahead of the Wizards.  I was not expecting this from them this year, after losing Paul George.  OKC lost to Detroit last night in Detroit and are 8-10.  Who would have thought Indy would be better than OKC after that trade.  The Pacers threw up a Hail Mary and hoped someone would bail them out, and OKC did.

If there was a downer in this game it's that our DEEP bench lost the 30 point lead.  Not the end of the world, that's why they are the DEEP bench, but when you score 118 points on 46% shooting and 91fgas it's hard to find things to bitch about.  Some individual performances (e.g. Brown 5-14, Morris 4-13, Smart 1-7) but as a team we played well.  We had their starters on their heels all night long.

Terry Rozier with a career high 23 points.  8-11 and 5-7 from 3.  6 rebounds.  Great game by TRo.  30 minutes might be his career high too.

Al Horford tied his career high 10 assists.  He's such a solid all-round player that if he decides offense is where he needs to make his impact he can do it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975020

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 am

Stars, studs and duds: Celtics want Rozier to be 'ready to fire'

https://sports.yahoo.com/stars-studs-duds-celtics-want-053731860.html

BOSTON – Let's face it. The way the Boston Celtics' second unit has shot the ball this season, somebody was due for a breakout performance.

On Friday night it was Terry Rozier who scored a career-high 23 points in helping Boston get back on a winning track with a 118-103 victory that wasn't anywhere close to what the final score might indicate.

Boston had five players reach double figures scoring, but arguably the most significant one of the bunch was Rozier.

A 33.7 percent shooter from the field and just 32.6 percent on 3's this season, Rozier was Jacuzzi-hot from the floor on Saturday, connecting on 8-of-11 shots from the field along with five made 3-pointers.

While Rozier isn't known as a lethal shooter, Celtics head coach Brad Stevens' confidence in Rozier as a shooter remained strong heading into the game regardless of what his shooting percentage might suggest.

"Law of averages will play themselves out with him," Stevens said. "He's a really good shooter; made some big ones in a lot of different games this year. We want him to be ready to fire when he catches it."

And he was on Friday, providing the kind of offensive punch that Boston's second unit desperately needs more of this season.

"Any way you put it, I'm going to keep shooting," Rozier said. "I'm going to keep playing. I'm not perfect. I'm going to have tough games. I'll have games like this.

Rozier added, "It feels good to get points as a unit, and like said you just want to keep building off of it, and not lose sight of our team mantra, which is playing defense."

Here are the Stars, Studs and Duds from Boston's 118-103 win over Orlando.

STARS

Kyrie Irving

Despite playing in just the first three quarters, Irving still did plenty of damage in leading all scorers with 30 points on an efficient 9-for-15 shooting while also tallying four rebounds, three assists and a steal.

STUDS

Terry Rozier

The bench has come under heat lately for a lack of production. Rozier showed the second unit does have some life offensively as he lit the Magic up for a career-high 23 points which included five made 3-pointers which was also a career-high.

Al Horford

His ability to play the role of a facilitator was on display early on Friday night as he tallied seven of his game-high 10 assists in the first quarter.

Nikola Vucevic

There wasn't a lot to cheer about for the Magic, but that shouldn't take away from what was a solid game for Vucevic who had a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds.

DUDS

Orlando's desire to "play tough"

Before the game, the Magic talked about the need to be a more physical, tougher team. And after getting pummeled by the Celtics for most of Friday night's game, the need to be tougher was once again the narrative of choice.

"Show more toughness; show more fight," said Magic head coach Frank Vogel after the loss.

"We weren't physical enough," said Orlando's Terrence Ross.

"Just not being physical enough, not being tough enough defensively, way too comfortable" was how Magic forward Aaron Gordon described his team's play. It's great that they recognize what's clearly an area of weakness. Up next? Do something other than talk about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 am

I’m still curious why Theis was a DNP? I know some nights the matchups favor him and some nights they don’t, but a DNP? The guy is 25 years old he certainly doesn’t need a DNP to rest for the second night of a back to back.

I haven’t heard anything from Brad on this in the post game, perhaps we’ll find out more today.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Brian Robb

✔️@BrianTRobb

[ltr]Kyrie Irving's averages in his last four games: 32.5 ppg, 4.3 apg, 64.8% FG, 60% 3pt, 86% FT. All while averaging just 17.8 shot attempts per game.[/ltr]

8:16 PM - Nov 24, 2017

114 people are talking about this

bob
MY NOTE:  Over his past 5 games, which includes the GSW game where he only averaged 16 points on 4-16 and will dilute the averages, Kyrie has gone

29.2 ppg, 57.5%, 52% from 3 on 5.0 3pt fgas/game, 86.8% ft% in 32.4mpg.  His eFG% is a mind-blowing 72.4%. 

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:08 pm

When we had a paint threat and got the ball to the second side of the floor, we were almost three-times as good on offense through our road trip. We didn't meet at all the last two days, but that message was sent out .
Brad Stevens on Boston's ball movement
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down