Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits

5 posters

Go down

Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits Empty Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits

Post by dboss Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

How about a l-o-n-g term perspective?

Before we get into the details of tonight's game, let's take a trip back in time and what I am about to tell you will be a "really, I did not know that" moment.

The Celtics have played a total of 92 games against the Spurs and they have gotten the better of us 51-39 during the regular season.  How many people out there remember that we played an opening round best of three series in 1977 and beat them 2-0.

The numbers speak for themselves.  The Celtics have not dominated the Spurs except for an old school best of 3 series some 50 years ago.

I thought you guys and Rosalie would appreciate this information.  Now on to game # 27.

Lucky for the Celtics, Leonard is not expected back until Tuesday.

Here is what we do know.  Our Boston Celtics played the Spurs in the Gardens on October 30th and came away with what has become a rare win over SA.  They had beaten Boston 11 straight times.  We won against a team that was missing Parker, Ginobili and Leonard.  The final score was 108-94.  The Celtics were led by Kyrie with 24 Points and Al grabbed 13 boards.  Marcus Smart handled the distribution with 7 assists.  That night SA did not even belong on the same court as Boston.

I am sure that SA marked that one down and is anxious to redeem themselves against the best team record wise in the league.  They have won 8 out of their last 10 mainly because of their defense (97.3 PPG allowed) However with no go to guy their offense has been anemic while scoring only 101.3 PPG.

This game is all about fundamentals.  Play sloppy against the Spurs and you will lose because they take advantage of everything that you do wrong.
Keys to the game on offense will be great ball movement, great free throw shooting, production off the bench and few turnovers.  On defense the Celtics need to display seamless rotations, aggression on the glass and no dumbass fouls.

The Celtics are going to win this game and they will not play SA again until next year unless we meet them in the finals.

On a side note, rumor has it that Jaylen will be wearing a pair of Kareem's goggles.

Go Celtics!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits Empty Re: Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm

The late start almost forces one into a nap or more coffee. This game is definitely going to be something. I hope the C's win but am not that confident.

I think the key will be if there is a lid on the rim. If the Celtics are ice-cold, then it'll be Tommy time get the deficit down to ten by the fourth quarter.

I hope not. It'd be nice to get one of those rare Marcus Smart stints. He'll shoot 8-11 with 8 assists, one turnover, five rebounds and three steals.

Tatum seems to have ice in the veins. Kyrie and Al are definitely top NBA players.

I have talked myself into not worrying so much. I'm hoping it's just another game and the better team will win which must be the one at 22-4. But it's on the road. This should be a barn burner no matter what.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits Empty Re: Celtics@Spurs Game # 27 PreGame Tidbits

Post by dboss Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:16 pm

I am getting nervous. We got a rare covering of snow and my Direct TV is not working. The signal is lost.

As for the game, the Spurs have been feasting on the underprivileged like a politician that kisses the baby and then steals their candy while winning 14 out of 17 against teams under .500 teams.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Dboss, I remember that '77 playoff series. Celtic legend Sidney Wicks (yeah right) graced the cover of Sports Illustrated following the upset of the Gervin, Silas, Kenon, Paultz led Spurs. Future coaches George Karl and Mike D'antoni were also on that team.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 pm

dboss wrote:I am getting nervous.  We got a rare covering of snow and my Direct TV is not working.  The signal is lost.

As for the game, the Spurs have been feasting on the underprivileged like a politician that kisses the baby and then steals their candy while winning 14 out of 17 against teams under .500 teams.

dboss

Maybe go out and wipe the snow off your dish?  Actually the receiver part, not the actual dish. It could be that simple.  It happened to me back in another life whenever a wet snowstorm stuck to everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 pm

NBA #1 defense?  Boston Celtics, giving up 97.2 ppg.

NBA #2 defense?  San Antonio Spurs, giving up 97.3 ppg.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm

dboss wrote:I am getting nervous.  We got a rare covering of snow and my Direct TV is not working.  The signal is lost.

dboss

That's interesting. It's good luck Leonard isn't playing. Detroit is close to Golden State approaching halftime.

I'm grateful this is ESPN rather than TNT. They are more professional.

It's Detroit by four at the half. GS doesn't look that dominating anymore. No more 73 wins for them.

The Celtics should definitely win, but if they win games like tonight, where are the losses? If the C's can handle tonight, they will win most games. I hope the C's are ready for the challenge. They need to shoot decent. It's always interesting to see Brad and Pops go toe-to-toe.

This is mind-blowing how quick the C's have risen to prominence.

A lot of people were praising Tatum from the pick selection. I had no idea. I am watching Durant for this first game. Tatum has close to his body, especially if he grows more. He could be most similar to Durant. I do 100% believe from watching every game that Tatum might be the next rare transcendent player, the Larry Bird, Magic Johnson. I'm not sure Brown's ceiling is that high, but maybe him too. Kyrie is transcendent.

With all due respect to Horford, sooner or later the big three dynasty core is Kyrie, Brown and Tatum.

I'm liking Brown's three point shooting too.

I'm pumped and jacked on basketball.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 pm

bobheckler wrote:NBA #1 defense?  Boston Celtics, giving up 97.2 ppg.

NBA #2 defense?  San Antonio Spurs, giving up 97.3 ppg.

bob

There is probably some inversion variable that means it will be high scoring. Or maybe not. I expect low turnovers. This is almost as good as it gets for a regular season national t.v. game.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:34 pm

gyso wrote:

dboss

Maybe go out and wipe the snow off your dish?  Actually the receiver part, not the actual dish.  It could be that simple.  It happened to me back in another life whenever a wet snowstorm stuck to everything.
GYSO

I went outside and could see the dish has snow on it.  Got my ladder climbed up and my roof is slippery so I said #$%@#$%.

Then kj suggested that I stream the game using my direct tv account.

He hooked up the HDMI cable to my TV and we are in business.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:36 pm

willjr wrote:Dboss, I remember that '77 playoff series. Celtic legend Sidney Wicks (yeah right) graced the cover of Sports Illustrated following the upset of the Gervin, Silas, Kenon, Paultz led Spurs. Future coaches George Karl and Mike D'antoni were also on that team.
I did not remember that series.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down