Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis

2 posters

Go down

Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis Empty Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis

Post by dboss Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy acknowledges the potential toll of close losses on the confidence level of his team, with four of their five straight losses coming by five points or less.

https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nba/pistons/2017/12/09/watch-svg-worried-pistons-confidence/108471606/

Their 5 straight losses included road game at Washington, Philadelphia, San Antonio and Milwaukee. On Friday night they lost at home to Golden State.

The Pistons beat Boston at the Gardens 118-108. That game featured a dominate rebounding and scoring double double by their center Drummond who had 26 points and 22 rebounds. Tobias Harris had his way leading all scores with 31 points. Reggie Jackson had 20 with 7 assists.

That was a frustrating game because the Celtics could not match the powerful Drummond and Al had what has become a typical game against big guys by scoring 11 points with only 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Coach Stevens used Baynes sparingly as he only logged 13 minutes but he had 6 points and 6 rebounds. Most posters agreed that Baynes needs more floor time when we have a behemoth to contend with.

Brad started Morris in the game instead of Baynes and that was a coaching mistake.

This is not going to be an easy game as there are several players on the Pistons that can hurt you but I think the #1 priority has to be matching size with size and strength with strength.

Our rotation must be solid particularly Rozier matching up with their BU point guard, Ish Smith. In the last game Marcus Smart was very productive leading the bench with 23 points. He just needs to play within himself because I do not see another 6-9 shooting performance from deep.

Both Jaylen and Jason were inconspicuous scoring 19 points between them.

It would be helpful if Boston could improve on their 57% shooting from the foul line from that last meeting.

This game will be more difficult to win than the last one because (1) it is on the road and (2) The Pistons need to get back on track after dropping 5 straight and (3) Baynes is not 100% and neither is Morris.

Kyrie shot poorly and scored 18 which is well below his season average. Look for a bounce back from him.

Let's see how this one plays out.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop

about 12 minutes ago

Celtics announce Marcus Morris (left knee soreness) will miss today's game here in Detroit and tomorrow night's in Chicago.
reply retweet like
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Celtics@ Detroit Game # 28 Pregame Analysis

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP

about 25 minutes ago

392 combined minutes for Hayward and Morris through 29 games was not the plan. 36% of the Celtics' minutes this year have been played by rookies and sophomores. twitter.com/celtics/status…
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  And we still have the best record in the NBA.  HUGE credit to Brad and his coaching staff for identifying every player's strengths and weaknesses, creating a role for them, making everybody's role clear to them and showing/teaching them how to fill that role satisfactorily.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Bob

This thread is about our matchup with the Pistons.  

Your response is a gushy sentiment praising the coach.  Was that a response to my critique about needing size and the lack of coaching to address during the last meeting?

If so no need to remind me what a great coaching staff we have.  I really love our coaching.  The record only means we have not played our next game yet.

I think among other things that Stevens needs to address the Big issue.  Do you disagree?  If not then that is a legit concern with respect to coaching decisions.

Basically you did not provide an opinion about the game.  

Boston needs to get this one right.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down