cowens/oldschool
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
bobheckler
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery Empty Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/21/gordon-hayward-explains-workout-program-in-detail-recovering-from-ankle-surgery/

Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery

Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery Celtics_warriors

By: Jared Weiss | 13 hours ago

Gordon Hayward released an extensive post on his site, detailing his recovery process. Here are some of the highlights on his workout program and the emotions of the process.

Details of rehab regimen

I’ve been going into the facility every day, and working with the trainers there on a lot of different things. We start with massage therapy and soft tissue work on my whole leg, foot, and ankle, trying to get some of the swelling out. After that, I do some manual resistance stuff, leg extensions, leg curls and that type of thing. The goal there is to achieve better range of motion, and maintain strength in my hips, and my calf, and quad.

Next, I do some balance work. Originally I was just balancing on my right foot, but we’ve made progress to the point I’m now able to balance on two feet. The next step is going to be balancing on my left foot.

The marble game, strengthening his foot and toe flexibility

I’m also doing work with that foot to gain strength and range of motion, things like towel scrunches and marble pickups, where you pick the marbles up with your toes and put them into a box.

That’s probably the toughest part physically. At the very beginning of it, it took me forever to get just one marble with my left foot. And I would have to cheat to try to pick it up. And that part’s frustrating, to not be able to do something that I can easily do with my right foot. But I’ve made progress, and now we make a competition out of it and try to get as low a time as I can. Slowly but surely, you get better and better. Now, I’m only like 10 seconds different from my right and my left, so it’s come a long way.

Staying in shape with work ‘I probably should have been doing even before I got hurt’

I’m also making sure the rest of my body stays in shape. So after all that leg work, I go to the weight room and I do a weight workout. One day, it will be an upper body workout and then conditioning at the end of it. The next day, will do lower body and then conditioning at the end of that. Obviously, I want to stay in as good physical shape, as close to what I was when I went down as I can. So it’s about trying to do something conditioning-wise to try to keep my heart rate up and trying to maintain some of the muscle that I had in the other parts of my body, even though right now I can’t load as much on the left.

My workouts now are even longer than they were in the summer because I have to move a little bit slower to get everywhere. I am doing a lot more exercises like low load circuits, and balance stuff, and stretching stuff, that I probably — to be honest — should have been doing before I even got hurt. But you don’t necessarily have to do it as much when you’re healthy.

Still ballin

At the end of the workout, I go to the basketball court and do as much basketball work as I can. I’ve recently started to do some stuff standing up, so I don’t have to use the chair to shoot anymore. I can just shoot with the boot on, staying straight up. It’s non-movement stuff for now, but I can handle the basketball just standing straight up and do different drills like that.

Struggling to watch first game from Celtics bench

That first game back at the Garden was really tough. That was basically the first time I had been out of the house, in the public. My foot was throbbing the whole game, but I wanted to try to get to a game, and I knew it was a big one for us. It was difficult to sit there and watch, because the crowd was going crazy, and as a basketball player, you want to be a part of that.

Remaining a part of the team

I have also gotten to spend some time with the guys when they come into the facility. That has been good for me, to see everyone and interact, and joke with them about different plays that they’ve had during the games, or congratulate them on their successes. It allows me to still feel like I’m a part of the team, which has been good.

Film study

I’m also watching film a few times a week to give the team some assistance. I chime in with minor things. The coaching staff is already super good with scouting reports and figuring out different teams. But I have definitely helped out with some scouting defensively, talking about guys I’ve had success guarding in the past, different tendencies and stuff that you learn playing against certain players, and what I have done to try to contain certain guys.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery Empty Re: Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Rehab is tough work.

Not just physically, but mentally.

You travel with the team, you stick with them, and you still feel like an outsider.

Until you take the field or court again, you don't ever feel like you truly belong.

Major kudos to Hayward for grinding it out.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery Empty Re: Gordon Hayward explains workout program in detail recovering from ankle surgery

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:06 pm

I feel for him. He is young, talented and knows how much they were counting on him to work with Kyrie and Al and become a major force in the league. You are beginning to see how much we miss him lately (or anyone like him who can shoot)!!!!

This is probably the hardest thing he will ever go thru professionally. I applaud his efforts and pray that everything goes well for him and he returns to the team whenever HE feels he is really ready. God knows we need him.

I thank him for keeping fans updated on his progress. I know, I for one, am dying for the day he can play again. I was so looking forward to watching him this year. (my husband tells me I am just attached to anyone who wears #20!!! I was a big Larry Seigfried fan when he played and of course, everyone remembers how much I wanted Ray Allen to retire a Celtic. Now, it is Hayward! He will came back and be better than any of them!!)

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Sounds like Gordon is working real hard to get back.

Next year he will rejoin a team that has more experience playing together.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/watch-boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-releases-new-video-of-ankle-rehab-basketball-workout/

Watch: Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward releases new video of ankle rehab basketball workout

By: Jared Weiss | 19 minutes ago

Gordon Hayward posted another video of his rehab playing basketball as the Boston Celtics star works his way back from a dislocated ankle.

It’s been a wild week of Gordon Hayward injury updates. First, Yahoo Sports’ Chris Mannix reported Hayward’s ankle was looking purplish and swollen over the All-Star break. Then Danny Ainge came out to reiterate they don’t expect Hayward back this season.

Then this tweet happened.

https://twitter.com/gordonhayward/status/969628799422926849
Gordon Hayward
✔️
@gordonhayward
Patience. One goal.

More to come ➡️ @PlayersTribune

9:41 AM - Mar 2, 2018
1,586 people are talking about this

Hayward is working with the Players Tribune on a docuseries to show his come back from a gruesome ankle dislocation he suffered just over five minutes into his Celtics regular season debut.

The workouts shown here are a more strenuous version of what he was doing pregame a few weeks back, so this is nothing surprising. The video was likely shot around the same time, so he has probably made some incremental progress even since this was filmed.

But watching how much of a struggle it is for him to even do stationary moves like this shows just how far away he is from truly returning. While there are plenty of conspiracy theorists who have pieced together the Celtics Illuminati clues to identify 3/23 as a potential return date, that clearly looks like it’s not going to happen. The more legitimate question is whether 5/23 could be possible if the Celtics are even still playing at that point (Eastern Conference Finals).

Video of Hayward’s rehab is new and exciting, but it does not change the discourse. He is still very likely out for the season, even if the team’s messaging throughout the situation has always technically left the door open. As they learned last year with Isaiah Thomas and as the Spurs are seeing this year with Kawhi Leonard, you have to wait until there is no sliver of doubt that the guy is ready. The reward plunges to the depths of the cost-benefit analysis when weighed against the risk.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Video of Hayward’s rehab is new and exciting, but it does not change the discourse. He is still very likely out for the season, even if the team’s messaging throughout the situation has always technically left the door open. As they learned last year with Isaiah Thomas and as the Spurs are seeing this year with Kawhi Leonard, you have to wait until there is no sliver of doubt that the guy is ready. The reward plunges to the depths of the cost-benefit analysis when weighed against the risk.

bob

Agree with the above.

Can't imagine any scenario by which they let him come back, or he would want to try. Not worth risking a career.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Much as I am dying to see him on the court, I only want him totally healthy if he ends up there. This is kind of hard to fathom that he is anywhere near a return to the court. Got to be killing him. He is such a competitor,

Health comes first Gordon. I can wait, and so can the rest of us.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:32 pm

And in the meantime Brad has his team preparing to shock the basketball world without Hayward.

What the hell go get 18 now.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:19 pm

dboss wrote:And in the meantime Brad has his team preparing to shock the basketball world without Hayward.

What the hell go get 18 now.

If we can get out of EC, we match up well with GS and Houston....and Cavs are no sure thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 am

The first article posted in this thread is seemingly pretty old as it states that he is just now standing up to shoot. We have all seen the February video of him catching, re positioning his feet and shooting well over a month ago now.

He is probably not going to come back this year, but he is still young enough and working hard enough to possibly be ready for later in the playoffs. Young guys heal way faster than this old guy.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 pm

So happy to see reports like this. Remember that the timeline always held late March as the earliest possible return. It seems to me that he is working very hard and having good results. This next section of the rehab is going to hurt a lot but by mid April he will be making basketball moves. The fact that he comes close but doesn't get on the court bodes well for preseason this fall. Other than the actual injury itself this is going to play out very well for the long term improvement of the team. #18 is not that far away. Just getting into professional basketball shape is painful enuf but this? This we call a character builder. Gordon will be a much better player when all is said and done and that is something that the rest of the NBA is afraid of. This is the final chance for the rest of the NBA to win a title for years to come. Olde Green is coming back to stomp. Basketball
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 34 minutes ago
#Celtics Gordon Hayward said he is 70 percent on Alter-G (was at practice facility this morning). Once he hits 80 percent can start running. That's the next step in comeback process.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE: Running is a big deal because once you can run (without feeling pain the next day) you can begin to do jumping exercises.  Both have the full weight of the body coming down on the leg/ankle/foot from some height.  Having said all this, however, it's the 2nd week of March, the season ends in about 4 weeks and he isn't even running yet, much less playing with contact and cutting hard off that foot.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm

I know that they get questions daily, sometimes to many, to be sure. However, this type of interview must make the coach and gm wish he would keep his thoughts to himself here. They will barrage him all the time now. He looks good physically, he had looked like he had lost weight after the injury.

I know that Brad wishes this would just be behind closed doors. Not happening. So many want to see him play. Myself? I love the guys game but I want him to do nothing that would be detrimental to his continuing to get better and be 100 percent before he steps on the court.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 am

bobheckler wrote:Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
about 34 minutes ago
#Celtics Gordon Hayward said he is 70 percent on Alter-G (was at practice facility this morning). Once he hits 80 percent can start running. That's the next step in comeback process.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE: Running is a big deal because once you can run (without feeling pain the next day) you can begin to do jumping exercises.  Both have the full weight of the body coming down on the leg/ankle/foot from some height.  Having said all this, however, it's the 2nd week of March, the season ends in about 4 weeks and he isn't even running yet, much less playing with contact and cutting hard off that foot.

Exactly and that’s why he should just keep getting stronger and take this year off, running and jumping with all the contact is difficult enough when healthy, to go into that level of abusing his body is not worth it this year....he had a brutal gruesome injury.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:59 pm

It is what it is, not some drama to speculate on. If he's ready, he'll play. If he's healed, he's ready. If in May he is healed and ready, then perhaps he'll play ten minutes and score a few buckets.

I respect you guys saying he should just shut it down for all of it and wait for a fresh start in 2018-19. I still disagree.

Life is dangerous in itself. We can trip and fall in the course of life and that's the end. It's unlikely, and it's also unlikely if Hayward is healed by May, he will re-injure himself just by playing.

Unless you're doctors, you don't know either.

He probably won't play. I concede that. I still think he might. It depends on the circumstances. It will need to be a must move to try, like signing Monroe. I do respect that you guys care for him as an individual and would hate to see something bad happen by rushing things.

Hayward could help by playing just ten or fifteen minutes a game. What destroys opponents is showing different looks and being relentless, to come in green waves as it was claimed to be done in the 1980's. P.J. Brown worked in 2008 because he served as a nice bridge in-between Perk and KG. This isn't the 60's with guys going all 48 minutes or baseball when there was no such thing as relief pitchers... Or boxing matches used to go 100 rounds, ridiculous stuff like that. Everything is now micro-managed and presumed safe.

So if Hayward ends up playing five-fifteen minutes here and there taking over the Semi/Shane spark plug role, then what's the problem?

Danny looked bad saying KG was coming back in 2009. That's what is going on. He doesn't want to make a similar mistake. The Celtics are playing it smarter this time just in case. I believe a return is realistic yet up in the air. It could happen, might not or probably won't.

But that's been known the whole time. He may or may not return and that decision lines up with the playoffs. I'm thinking possible Kirk Gibson or Willis Reed time. Some people think the Celtics have no chance at all anyway. They are so pessimistic. Some Boston fans sound no differently than Charles Barkley. I hope the C's win it all this year to spite them. I've been optimistic the whole run except for some minor wavering heading into the all-star break. Those are quite the fans not giving their home team any chance to win it all despite having the fourth best record.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Next year is soon enough.

He is a long way from being ready and able to play.  The Celtics can win without him this year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 pm

According to him, he is 10 percent away from getting on the floor and starting to run. We have no idea where he really is as he is the one rehabbing. Let's just sit back and watch the team that is on the bench right not and forget about Gordon Hayward.

If all of a sudden he is able to come back, we have a ringer on our bench, if only for 15 minutes. Just remember he was scared to death when this happened, so he will do nothing that will cause a reinjury. Dr. McKeon will make sure of that.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

4/2/18:

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/02/boston-celtics-star-gordon-hayward-jogs-under-full-body-weight/

Boston Celtics' star Gordon Hayward jogs under full body weight

By: Greg Cassoli | 52 minutes ago

Boston Celtics’ star Gordon Hayward took another step forward in his recovery from injury, jogging under the full weight of his body.
The Player’s Tribune Tweeted out a video of injured Boston Celtics’ star Gordon Hayward jogging this morning. It’s not a particularly thrilling piece of content on its own, but the implications for Hayward, who is in the process of recovering from a gruesome ankle injury, are certainly reason for excitement.

The Players' Tribune
✔️
@PlayersTribune
.@GordonHayward is running on his own power for the first time since his injury.

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/980813012880695297

7:23 AM - Apr 2, 2018
111 people are talking about this

Prior to the moment captured in the video, Hayward had not been able to run without the assistance of an AlterG treadmill, which allowed him to do so without the pressure of his full body weight. He’s still a long way from being able to exude the type of force on his ankle that a typical NBA game requires, but jogging independently represents progress regardless.

The Celtics and their fans would be right to be encouraged by this development, though any expectations for a postseason return should remain tempered. Hayward still needs to reach a point where he can sprint, cut and jump before he returns to the court.

He’ll get there eventually, but making sure that he does so in a way that is best for his long-term health, not the immediate benefit of the team, is the priority.

bob
MY NOTE: He's not running fast, more of an easy jog, but he's off the Alter-G. The thing to watch, now, is if he gets any pain from this other than, perhaps, some muscle soreness and/or stiffness. Does the bone ache? Does the ankle joint swell up? He's not coming back this year, if he's barely jogging and we're 2 weeks away from the playoffs starting, but it's still a good, good sign. We will have depth at wing that will leave every other team in the league gasping.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 am

We have two weeks left in the season. When Kyrie went down and they operated they said 3-6 weeks. We are going into the second week. why are the press saying he will miss the entire first round, why? Shouldn't they talking that he possibly would return some time during the first round? Or are they playing it really safe, not saying anything, and shutting him down without saying it?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:47 am

So he'll be back for the conference finals

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:We have two weeks left in the season. When Kyrie went down and they operated they said 3-6 weeks. We are going into the second week. why are the press saying he will miss the entire first round, why?  Shouldn't they talking that he possibly would return some time during the first round?  Or are they playing it really safe, not saying anything, and shutting him down without saying it?

My guess is that since the estimated return was a range of 3 to 6 weeks, they are using the midpoint, i.e. 4.5 weeks, which I think would exclude him from the first round. Couls also be what you said, they are playing it really safe, and shutting him down without saying it.

I really hope they don't rush him back. With the way these guys have been playing (12 and 4 without Kyrie, i.e. 0.750 ball), they could get through the first round without him. Even if they don't, let him heal properly, show him that the organization is more concerned with his well being. This is probably not our year anyways with Hayward down, and Kyrie is too important to this team to risk either his health or his perception of how the team treats him.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 pm

I agree with you there. Is there any possibility that they will try to extend his contract this year during the summer? Or just dealing with Smart's situation enough. I have no idea what the rules are to extensions. On the other hand, next year Rozier is up and Danny will have decisions to make. I am wondering what will become of this backcourt. I can see Rozier wanting to move on to another team, get a starting job? I can't imagine that both Smart and Rozier will be here come next summer. Someone is going to have to go.

I get puzzled when I look at a team like Golden State, they must have an unbelievable "over the cap" payment. Livingston and Iggy have to be making a decent salary, and seem content to stay with a winner. They may be headed for some salary issues this year though, since Thompson wants to get paid, and KD has said he will not take a pay cut this year. Curry is making over the top money. Green? I have no idea what he makes and someday he will be the expendable one.

My point is, Smart will never be a starter, so why not stay with a team that has so much potential? Rozier? I think he has other plans, whether they all come to fruition.

Just so many questions, glad I am not Danny!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:We have two weeks left in the season. When Kyrie went down and they operated they said 3-6 weeks. We are going into the second week. why are the press saying he will miss the entire first round, why?  Shouldn't they talking that he possibly would return some time during the first round?  Or are they playing it really safe, not saying anything, and shutting him down without saying it?

Rosalie,

There's a difference between being able to resume "basketball activities" and being ready to play in an NBA game. There are rust and conditioning issues.

Kyrie's surgery was 3/24. 3-6 weeks from then is 4/14-5/5. The playoffs begin on 4/14. There are no b2bs in the playoffs, so we're talking about a minimum of 8-9 days for each series (and that's with a 4-game sweep). So we're getting up close to the beginning of May, easily, for the end of the first round.

Smart's surgery was around 3/18, but he was looking at a 6-8 week rehab. That takes it up to 4/29-5/13 timeline.

The playoffs are scheduled to end 5/28.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:20 pm

I figured Smart would be gone for the year, they just don't want to say it. And Kyrie, he may just not be ready to come back so why take a chance? It is too bad, with both those players we would at least be able to give it a real shot. I am not living is a cloud, this could be a short playoff run for this team this year. What a shame. So........we look forward not back!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:52 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I agree with you there. Is there any possibility that they will try to extend his contract this year during the summer?  Or just dealing with Smart's situation enough.  I have no idea what the rules are to extensions.  On the other hand, next year Rozier is up and Danny will have decisions to make.  I am wondering what will become of this backcourt.  I can see Rozier wanting to move on to another team, get a starting job? I can't imagine that both Smart and Rozier will be here come next summer. Someone is going to have to go.

I get puzzled when I look at a team like Golden State, they must have an unbelievable "over the cap" payment. Livingston and Iggy have to be making a decent salary, and seem content to stay with a winner. They may be headed for some salary issues this year though, since Thompson wants to get paid, and KD has said he will not take a pay cut this year. Curry is making over the top money. Green? I have no idea what he makes and someday he will be the expendable one.

My point is, Smart will never be a starter, so why not stay with a team that has so much potential? Rozier? I think he has other plans, whether they all come to fruition.

Just so many questions, glad I am not Danny!!!!

That's a good point about Smart seemingly being content as a sixth man, where as Terry really wants to be a starter. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens with Smart this summer. I kind of suspect that Danny is still hoarding talent regardless of position so that he can pull off one more blockbuster for an Anthony Davis-type of player. Clearly he would have to give up some/most of the picks he has hoarded, but being able to offer valuable players like Smart, Rozier and possibly one of our wings in addtion to picks could make a team really think.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next