NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?'

+7
cowens/oldschool
Phil Pressey
NYCelt
dboss
wideclyde
mrkleen09
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?' Empty NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?'

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm

https://articles.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2018/01/nba_scout_on_sixers_markelle_fultz_im_like_what_th.amp?__twitter_impression=true

NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?'

Updated on Jan 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM EST

By Zack Rosenblatt | For NJ Advance Media

Sixers guard Markelle Fultz teased a surprise for fans in London earlier this week.

As it turns out, he wasn't foreshadowing his return: Fultz didn't play against the Boston Celtics on Thursday.

He was, however, spotted shooting around before the Sixers' 114-103 loss to Boston , and (surprise!) a video of Fultz's shooting form stirred the Twitterverse into a further state of confusion, concern and trolling. Videos have surfaced since Fultz started practicing with the Sixers again recently, and the latest wasn't even technically a video of the No. 1 overall pick. This time, Fultz happened to be in the background of a video of Joel Embiid during shoot-around.

It's been a long time since Fultz played in an organized basketball game, but the furor has picked up steam recently as the Sixers rookie guard (seemingly) nears his return to game-action.

Fultz traveled with the Sixers to London, and Thursday marked the 35th consecutive game he's missed after going out with right shoulder soreness on Oct. 23. Fultz's absence has also largely been tied to the form on his shot, which is a saga that has followed Fultz and the Sixers fervently since the apparent alterations first came to light during the preseason.

After four regular season games, the Sixers shut down Fultz. Recently, Philadelphia has re-integrated him into practice on a near full-go basis.

Thursday, Twitter detectives spotted Fultz during shoot-around on that Embiid-focused video. By all indications, Fultz's shooting form remains radically different than it looked when he shot 41.3 percent on 3-pointers at Washington, and not much better than when was reticent about shooting during games in October.

One scout from another Eastern Conference team -- who said he still loves Fultz's potential as a scorer -- told NJ Advance Media that he didn't love Fultz's shooting form coming out of college, but he still can't comprehend what's happening since he's arrived in the NBA. (Note: the scout hadn't yet seen the footage of Fultz shooting on Thursday in London.)

"It wasn't great" at Washington, the scout said, "but he could score. He was a poor free throw shooter, but he had instincts, which is something Ben (Simmons) doesn't have.

"I saw him shoot three different ways," the scout added. "One was last year (at Washington), one was at the beginning of the season, then he changed it again and I'm like, what the (bleep) is going on? It was better before, and he wasn't great. When I saw him air-ball two free throws in a row, I'm like, what is he doing?"

Here's clearer footage of Fultz during shoot-around ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/basketusa/status/951519067847962624/video/1

The scout noted that he's still high on Fultz, lauding how he was a "natural scorer" and that he's never "seen a kid with so many" scoring moves coming out of college. (More on that in an extensive feature about Fultz, his background and why it's too early to give up on him coming soon on NJ.com.) But the shot is still a concern, and it will be until -- or, more accurately, if -- it's fixed.

A scout from the Western Conference felt similarly.

"He should be contributing by now," the Western Conference scout told NJ Advance Media. "He's still good enough, for sure."

Said another Western Conference scout from a different team: "It just all seemed odd ... (but he's still) a dynamic scorer who can really complement a pass-first point guard."

Fultz shot just 64.9 percent on free throws in college, so there at least was some indication that his shooting form wasn't perfect. It still just looks wildly (and strangely) different for a player that was generally effective shooting at the college level.

Fultz didn't attempt a single three-pointer in his four regular season games with the Sixers, nor a single shot from more than 16 feet from the basket.

"Honestly, I really feel there's some truth to the fact that they said, 'Let's take him away from the game,'" the Eastern Conference scout said. "The only way to address shooting technique and really change somebody's shot or readjust it, whatever you want to use, is if you're not playing in games.

"When the game starts, you might go back to some bad trends. He needed to be away from games and spend more time addressing only his technique. I wouldn't be surprised -- and nobody told me anything -- that that's what happened. They didn't want to embarrass him and embarrass themselves, too."

bob
MY NOTE: If you look at the twitter video his shot mechanics are awful. It's almost like he has a Lonzo shot now, he doesn't bring the ball over his head.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?' Empty Re: NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?'

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Sixers medical staff strikes again.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?' Empty Re: NBA scout on Sixers' Markelle Fultz: 'I'm like, what the (expletive) is going on?'

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am

After watching that short, two shot video, I am not sure that this kid will succeed in the NBA.

We are even happier today that Ainge picked Tatum instead of Fultz.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am

I find it hard to believe that Fultz cannot shoot the ball anymore but I saw the video and the ball don't lie.

Danny must have know that Fultz has a mental issue. But also there is a real odd negative force at work when it comes to Philly. Maybe it is all about Karma. You disrespect the game by trying to lose year after year so that you can get the best prospects in the draft.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 pm

It always amazes me that sportswriters manage to find issue with things like shot mechanics. Fact is, funky or not, Fultz, Ball and similar others have shots that worked at NCAA D1's highest levels. That's usually going to be good enough for the NBA. Not every players shot is textbook; it just has to go in the basket. Some also get their points in ways that ugly doesn't matter.

This is probably what happens when you take a football and baseball beat writer, and ask him to cover basketball. Shot mechanics. How you doin' from 15' out or better, eh buddy?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Danny might have destroyed three teams. Brooklyn is obvious. Also, Cleveland is not the same without Kyrie. Their chemistry is way off. LeBron has shown no commitment to a future in Cleveland. The Cavs don't want to trade the Nets pick since King James' has a track record of packing his bags and abandoning cities.

Danny might have also crushed Philadelphia long-term.

I agree with the above that Philly might be getting a bit of karma payment for losing on purpose for years and not having that much to show for it. Okafor and Noel are gone and Embiid is still on time restrictions.

We are praying for the Nets pick to be mediocre to hurt Cleveland and Philly fans must be steaming mad on the inside rooting for the Lakers or Sacramento next year.

Fultz could become the next Anthony Bennett. At best he seems to be an Evan Turner, maybe someday it will make sense why he was selected so high.

Bad teams still always have a player or two putting up hollow stats. Fultz played one year on a pitiful college team. Danny might be lucky, but he also seems to have developed Auerbach-like masterminding ability. So his 2008 GM work does not seem to have been a fluke. It just went dormant. He went all in with old stars and milked a small window.

Maybe Brooklyn fading at the right time was luck, but avoiding Fultz was another clutch move by Ainge. He has been on fire since the Brooklyn trade.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I can’t imagine how depressing it would be around here if we had drafted Fultz, actually I’d be beyond pissed.....Fultz actually played pretty well in SL, how the hell does he fock up his shoulder so bad?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I can’t imagine how depressing it would be around here if we had drafted Fultz, actually I’d be beyond pissed.....Fultz actually played pretty well in SL, how the hell does he fock up his shoulder so bad?

Cow,

Fultz only played in 4 summer league games (2 in Utah, 2 in Vegas) before getting carried off the court in game 4 and taking the rest off with an ankle injury.  He couldn't even make it through SL without breaking down.  LOL.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Start tinkering with unorthodox style - only when it proves to be ineffective. I could write a book about athletes that starred with techniques far from text book.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 am

swish wrote:Start tinkering with unorthodox style - only when it proves to be ineffective. I could write a book about athletes that starred with techniques far from text book.

Swish

Exactly.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

My godness, Markelle is a freakin head case.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/markelle-fultz-jumper-ugly-shell-article-1.3777593

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Still not bringing the ball up over his head on the fritos, however, later he drives and does a "helicopter move" which brings the ball over his head using his right arm (which is the shoulder that he injured).  SO, he CAN bring his arm above his head without shooting pain (no pun intended, but feel free...).  He's just not doing it on his fritos and, as we saw from the practice video from London, isn't doing it on fgas neither.

This poor kid is SO messed up.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Funniest part is going to be when this kid is recovered fully and gets accustomed to his teammates and the league. I don't know if he's going to become a major all-star, but over the next year or so, he's probably going to make a lot of people look silly.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:53 pm

NYCelt wrote:Funniest part is going to be when this kid is recovered fully and gets accustomed to his teammates and the league. I don't know if he's going to become a major all-star, but over the next year or so, he's probably going to make a lot of people look silly.

NYCelt,

Not Danny Ainge.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 pm

A shoulder is very likely to heal in a certain time period. Mental shooting issues can last a lifetime.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm

That is the ugliest free throw shooting mechanics I’ve ever seen, hurt my eyes to watch

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

NYCelt wrote:Funniest part is going to be when this kid is recovered fully and gets accustomed to his teammates and the league. I don't know if he's going to become a major all-star, but over the next year or so, he's probably going to make a lot of people look silly.

Why does anyone need to look silly? People make projections. No one knows for sure. It looks like there's a good chance he is a bust.

It's said one can't judge stats from China or the Development League. It's gotta be the same for college.

What's Okafor doing? Noel? The draft with Pierce and Nowitski had the best players going ninth and tenth. Vince Carter was fifth. The other guys never amounted to much. The draft is a crap shoot. Philly got abused by Danny Ainge. I'm just saying no one knows. An opinion's value tends to be worth about $0.02.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:

Why does anyone need to look silly? People make projections. No one knows for sure. It looks like there's a good chance he is a bust.

It's said one can't judge stats from China or the Development League. It's gotta be the same for college.

What's Okafor doing? Noel? The draft with Pierce and Nowitski had the best players going ninth and tenth. Vince Carter was fifth. The other guys never amounted to much. The draft is a crap shoot. Philly got abused by Danny Ainge. I'm just saying no one knows. An opinion's value tends to be worth about $0.02.

I’m no expert, but it’s obvious his shooting mechanics/form is way off, is this because something is still wrong with his shoulder...??? His mechanics have to be corrected first, can’t believe how messed up this whole medical/training staff is.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:

Phil,

I think half-way through a rookie season, for a guy who has barely played because of injury, is a little soon to declare him a bust.

By that definition, we would have described Embiid as a bust. He hasn't turned out too bad.

I don't think Overseas leagues or the G-League have ever been as solid an indicator as NCAA ball. You can't get 100% certainty from any of them, but NCAA D1, with much stronger competition, is going to be a better indicator than China or a developmental league. If those two were nearly as strong, more players would be drafted there.

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Phil Pressey wrote:

I’m no expert, but it’s obvious his shooting mechanics/form is way off, is this because something is still wrong with his shoulder...??? His mechanics have to be corrected first, can’t believe how messed up this whole medical/training staff is.

Cow,

His shoulder may not be healed, I have no idea, but they keep showing video of a player coming back from an injury and expecting something great. In my opinion; what a crock. His mechanics are what they are, however. I don't get the obsession some have over fixing the mechanics of someone who had the season he had last year. Several NBA teams were ready to take him as is. I can't believe that if that many professional scouting departments were OK with his shot, why casual bystanders should care. I'm OK with an effective player with different mechanics. If the ball goes in the basket, go ahead and look terrible getting it there. Lots of terrible looking mechanics in various halls of fame.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:

NYCelt,

Not Danny Ainge.

bob

Bob,

Ainge took the best player for the Celtics, Tatum, as what amounts to the de facto #1. He didn't need a guard, therefore getting off the hot seat while making a decent deal.

I'd say what will keep Ainge from looking silly is that he isn't publicly obsessing over something as esoteric as shot mechanics of a player who's yet to play enough to show his value or any lack thereof.

So I'd agree; not Ainge.

Regards

Last edited by NYCelt on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm

wideclyde wrote:A shoulder is very likely to heal in a certain time period.  Mental shooting issues can last a lifetime.

Wide,

The only comment I've seen anywhere about Fultz that makes sense to me.

Plenty of video of what probably is simply a player coming back from injury. Shot mechanics are what they are, and what they were, and may have little to do with anything if he can pass, defend, and put the ball in the basket.

The yips, on the other hand, would be something quite different. If indeed that's actually an issue here. No way to tell until he gets into a game.

You don't have to be named Blass, Knoblauch or Sax to have that do you in.

Nick Anderson might be the best NBA example of the yips. In golf it would have to be David Duval.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 am

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
Phil Pressey wrote:

Cow,

His shoulder may not be healed, I have no idea, but they keep showing video of a player coming back from an
injury and expecting something great. In my opinion; what a crock. His mechanics are what they are, however. I don't get the obsession some have over fixing the mechanics of someone who had the season he had last year. Several NBA teams were ready to take him as is. I can't believe that if that many professional scouting departments were OK with his shot, why casual bystanders should care. I'm OK with an effective player with different mechanics. If the ball goes in the basket, go ahead and look terrible getting it there. Lots of terrible looking mechanics in various halls of fame.

Regards

Deano I’m commenting on the video right above in this thread, did you even see his FT motion in it? On release the ball is way too close to his face/head, if he keeps practicing that form, on his regular jumper he’ll be getting that ball smashed back in his face by the defensive predators roaming the floor.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next