bobheckler
Sandpd
beat
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Monroe...... Empty Monroe......

Post by beat Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Gonna be a Celtic.  Marcus just sent me a link but I’m having difficulty copy and pasting it on my phone.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Monroe...... Empty Re: Monroe......

Post by beat Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pm

http://es.pn/2nBIN1S

Here it is
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:13 pm

beat, thanks for the great news! The C's will now have a strong frontcourt for the playoffs.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Wow. Big news! Thanks, beat!!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Good pick up. Adds another rotation quality player, rebounding and interior scoring. Takes us out likely of trading for Lou Williams. Evans still possible.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 25 minutes ago
Boston still has several million in space below the $119.3 million luxury tax threshold after the Monroe signing at just $5 million, allowing them to take extra salary back in a player for player trade as they look for veteran perimeter scoring help.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE: Translate this into "they could still trade for Tyreke Evans with more flexibility".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

This is great news. I love what Baynes has done for the first half of this season, but it is obvious he gets tired after playing 20 minutes. The other night he looked beat. Monroe will be a terrific addition to the team. Long time coming considering how long ago he was rumored to be coming here!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

10 years ago around this time we picked up another big.  

PJBrown.  

And I doubt we’d have won without him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:43 pm

This is great news!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__jOUY63dQQ

international

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow, this could add another dimension to the Celtics. I don't agree with the people who say he won't fit in Brad's system because he doesn't take 3s. Statements like this suggest a misunderstanding of the analytics movement. The point is to get rid of low efficiency shots. Guys who shoot close to the basket are quite valuable since those are high percentage shots. Guys who shoot far from the hoop are also valuable because you get more points if it goes in. Its the dreaded mid range game that analytics guys hate - not a great percentage and only 2 points.

Curious if it ever swings the other way. Most defenses are designed to give teams those mid range shots now. I could imagine a shrewd GM getting a bunch of guys who excel at the mid range - they would probably be cheap and available in today's market, and maybe willing to play on a smaller market team. Might be a cheap and effective way to build a surprisingly competitive team.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Monroe is a mediocre, at times half-hearted, defender who should get better under Brad's direction, but a superior offensive player.  He can score, shoot and is a very good passing big.  I don't see him replacing Baynes so much as letting Horford to play fewer minutes because he can do many of the things Horford does.  I think Monroe will really kick our ball movement, which has stagnated at times, into a higher degree.  His nickname, at least in Milwaukee, was "Moose".  Well, there's a Moose Loose in Boston now.

As GSW, and San Antonio before them and the 2008 Celtics before them, has shown winners attract talent.  If we were a mediocre team we probably would have lost to Nwalins because he was going to get a lot more minutes there with the injury to Boogie.  To me, this is a vindication of it all:  Danny's signing of Brad, Brad's elevation of the team to where a highly-sought after free agent like Al Horford would sign with us and Gordon Hayward's signing with us and now Greg Monroe signing without having or needing Hayward's history with Brad to be convinced.  Talent begets talent, talent begets winning and winning begets more talent and more winning.  I see this signing as evidence we have achieved that critical mass necessary for our successes to bring us more of the talent we need to succeed further.

One more piece of info here:  Greg Monroe is only 27 years old, he'll be 28 in June.  He's not an old "broken-down" veteran, he's in his physical prime.  If, God Forbid!, something should happen to Al or Baynes Monroe could step in and play 30mpg without pushing what's left of his body.

On a /minute basis Monroe is producing at roughly the same rate as he has his entire career, so he's not being bought out because his production has fallen off the table.  

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01.html

Also, with Monroe coming on board, it doesn't matter as much if Morris starts or comes off the bench.  Both Morris and Monroe can put up a bunch of points and only one of them would start, meaning our bench scoring has stabilized.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Surprised to see he is just 27. Seems like he has been taking Celtics scalps forever.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Beat....PJ Brown has to be one of the best signings DA made during that time. I loved his game when he was young, wished we had a guy like him for years. Solid, good player who was all for his team. You are right, without that signing, we may never have won the title.
So...Monroe's addition, I hope, will fill the void needed at center. Will make life easier for Al and Baynes, and his scoring will be a plus under the basket, which we really need.

This is getting fun!!!! What's up next Danny???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi,
Great. Thanks. I just read about it on yahoo. Then I read comments: many mentioned that he's defensive liability. Is he?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

That is what we heard about Irving, he has held his own. Wait until Brad gets ahold of him. He may relish the thought of playing on such a driven team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm

I assume every trade/signing is an agreement between Ainge and Stevens so I am sure Stevens has given input on it. Defense is effort and wanting it and I am sure the rest of the team will be on his ass if he is slacking off. Also much more motivating to put effort on a winning team and when rest of the team is doing it.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Monroe is an upgrade over Baynes.  This does not mean I do not like Baynes. We have seen the value of having a large slab of beef however he is pretty ineffective on offense and he regularly gets beat on defense.  He makes stupid fouls every game.  

Monroe is an upgrade at center.  He is not a backup for Baynes.

Danny made a great decision to acquire Monroe and in doing so has confirmed that this is hardly a bridge year.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Defensive ratings are a function of team defense.  I would wager that Monroe's defensive rating is fixing to rise.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:54 pm

We had no decent center and we are worried about Monroe?

He ain't Bill Russell.

Enjoy his post game offense and rebounds.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:39 pm

dboss wrote:Monroe is an upgrade over Baynes.  This does not mean I do not like Baynes. We have seen the value of having a large slab of beef however he is pretty ineffective on offense and he regularly gets beat on defense.  He makes stupid fouls every game.  

Monroe is an upgrade at center.  He is not a backup for Baynes.

Danny made a great decision to acquire Monroe and in doing so has confirmed that this is hardly a bridge year.

dboss

dboss,

Do you now finally believe that the C's are a legitimate contender? Basketball
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Just found out about this standing in the middle of a crowded bar. Big upgrade. Smart move. Biggest need filled. Maybe playing in June? I'm willing to bet on it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 pm

NYCelt wrote:Just found out about this standing in the middle of a crowded bar.  Big upgrade. Smart move. Biggest need filled. Maybe playing in June? I'm willing to bet on it.

Me too this could very well be our year, we match up so well with GS, now we got more beef down low to tangle with the teams with beef. When Monroe gets in a zone he can score and rebound with anybody and Brad will get the best out of him.....yah mon!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Great. Thanks. I just read about it on yahoo. Then I read comments: many mentioned that he's defensive liability. Is he?

AK

AK,

Monroe shouldn't be a defensive liability at all. As usual with these things, someone says he plays lousy D and it sticks. He's a slightly above average to fairly decent defender, a very good rebounder and an accomplished offensive threat down low and across the gray area. This is a very good signing. Our top need was an inside scoring threat, and we just got it covered beautifully.

Where the freak is my beer?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 pm

NYCelt wrote:
sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK

AK,

Monroe shouldn't be a defensive liability at all. As usual with these things, someone says he plays lousy D and it sticks. He's a slightly above average to fairly decent defender, a very good rebounder and an accomplished offensive threat down low and across the gray area. This is a very good signing. Our top need was an inside scoring threat, and we just got it covered beautifully.

Where the freak is my beer?

Regards

His D is way better than KO and Zeller

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next