gyso
dboss
Matty
cowens/oldschool
swedeinestonia
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement Empty Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement

NESN by Joshua Schrock on Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:48PM

Miami Heat guard Ray Allen Photo via Steve Mitchell/USA TODAY Sports Images Ray Allen had better things to do than attend Paul Pierce’s jersey retirement Sunday at TD Garden, and while the Boston Celtics legend isn’t upset at his former teammate for missing his day, one ESPN commentator wasn’t pleased with Allen.

Stephen A. Smith discussed Allen’s absence Monday on “First Take,” calling the decision to go golfing instead of celebrating his former Big Three brother uncalled for. “He should have been there,” Smith said. “They won a championship together. They were the Big Three.

Some would say LeBron instigated it, where LeBron and his people would tell you Boston instigated it when the three were paired together back in 2008. Some would say it’s the Big Four obviously because (Rajon) Rondo proved, at that particular moment in time, that he was just as integral a part of their championship team as the rest of them were. “But Ray Allen is one of the greatest shooters in NBA history, he is class personified in most instances, there’s no denying that,” Smith continued.

“Whatever friction existed, wasn’t with Paul. If this were Kevin Garnett, I wouldn’t blame him because Kevin Garnett was cold as ice to him … As it pertains to Paul Pierce, there is no reason on Earth why Ray Allen should not have been there, there’s just no excuse for it.” Allen and the rest of the Big Three have had a fractured relationship ever since the sharpshooter bolted Boston to join LeBron James and the Miami Heat, and they apparently haven’t buried the hatchet despite Pierce claiming otherwise. Maybe they’ll be able to get past their issues in time for the 20th anniversary of their title.

Back to top Go down

Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement Empty Re: Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Unless another player wearing #20 jersey turns into a superstar............safe to say that jersey is not going to hang next to Paul Pierce's #34 jersey in TD Garden any time soon!

Very poor choice...................but a rat is a rat when he scurried to South Florida because his ego was too big!

Back to top Go down

Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement Empty Re: Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 am

Would have been a good opportunity to let bygones be bygones but I would say its more on Allen than the others now. Not showing up for this was a conscious decision.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 am

I’m glad Ray Allen was not there

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am

My memory must be getting foggy, but wasn't the big three that year PP, KG and the white mamba?

I mean I know ray "benidict" Allen played some important minutes here and there but I think even Rondo had a more important role as well...

Having Ray there at Paul ceremony would be like making sure the guy who drove the Beatles to their first ed Sullivan concert was put into the rock n roll hall of fame alongside  John, Ringo George and Paul when they were put in.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 am

I would retire Rondo's jersey before Ray Allen.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

dboss wrote:I would retire Rondo's jersey before Ray Allen.

I would retire Scal's number before Ray Allen.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:I would retire Rondo's jersey before Ray Allen.

I would retire Scal's number before Ray Allen.

That would be a stick in the eye of Ray!

Sad think, Ray is one of the great scorers of all time especially 3 pter's.................so which team will retire his number??????? His fame was with the Celtics not Miami, Milwaukee, or Seattle!!!!!

Maybe nowhere!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I am not privy to the parameters used to determine who gets their number retired.

Non players Red' Auerbach and founder/owner Walter Brown fall into that category. but I can think of only 2 players that had their number retired although they never won a championship with the Celtics.

Allen should not have his number retired because his departure was self-inflicted and on a day where he had a great opportunity to honor a great teammate as well as a historically significant ritual, he choose instead to play golf.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Ray was not missed, Rondo and KG and Doc had a great day sitting together.

I think the spot next to Paul's number will remain empty for a long, long time.

If Kyrie wins one and then signs again here and wins another....
If Jaylen or Jason turn into the stars they are likely to become AND stay here for 7-10 years....

Otherwise, not seeing it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Well, if his leg heals, who knows what will happen. Hayward may make us forget about Ray Allen??

and furthermore, as Sam would say, they didn't retire that number for Larry Seigfried, why should they retire it for Ray???
Granted, Larry was not the shooter Ray was, but he won a few titles here.

The whole thing is just ugly. Ray may say one thing, about always being a Celtic, but he acts more like LeBron, who flies where the money and glory take him. Ray made the choice not to come..fine....but do we see pictures of him golfing with guys all the time? NO, he made sure that made the news. A message, screw you I had other things to do.

Let this be the last we hear of Ray Allen. I guarantee you, he will not see his number go up to the rafters in Boston. Let Milwaukee do it since there is no Seattle anymore. What a sad
ending to a great time in Celtic history.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Russ wasn't there either. I suppose it's time to call him out too.

The players have all buried the hatchet. If it didn't bother Pierce, it's a non-factor.

Smith has no business bringing this up. Childish nonsense.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Just a case of fans jumping into someone else sneakers and deciding for them how they should have reacted.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm

NY

Russell is 84 years old and traveling becomes difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

HE SENT A MESSAGE, IT WAS ON THE JUMBOTRON. RUSS SEEMS TO BE A BIT FRAIL SO I AM SURE HE PICKS AND CHOOSES HIS SPOTS

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

112288 wrote:NY

Russell is  84 years old and traveling becomes difficult.

Exactly why I mentioned him, and goes to my point. It wasn't meant literally.

I think Ray should be called out for not being there about as much as Russ. Others were absent too; so what?

Someone had to go in and stir it up where there was no issue, and it was none of their business. The players have tried to put this behind them. Could it also be possible Ray felt it best to stay away until the whole episode is further behind them? No one knows.

Stephen A; what a guy.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm

So why did Ray allow photo's of himself to be sent out showing him golfing.

Seems strange that he would make his golf date so open and public on Sunday!

He was not the most liked on the Celtic team and other teams as well. As one former teammate said a number of years ago...........Ray always considered himself above others.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 pm

a non story
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:a non story

I do agree.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:21 pm

NYCelt wrote:Russ wasn't there either. I suppose it's time to call him out too.

The players have all buried the hatchet. If it didn't bother Pierce, it's a non-factor.

Smith has no business bringing this up. Childish nonsense.

Russell did a congratulatory video.

At the very least Allen could have did the same. Even before Stephen A brought this up i was thinking the same thing. Where is Allen? That's because there is KG and Rondo. Even Posey was there. It is no big deal but if there was even a chance for Allen's number to go to the rafters he likely closed that opportunity himself.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/02/ray_allen_congratulates_paul_p.html

Ray Allen congratulates Paul Pierce on Boston Celtics jersey retirement, suggests he wants to keep rebuilding relationship

Updated 4:17 PM;
Posted 4:05 PM

Stephen A. Smith Slams Ray Allen For Missing Paul Pierce’s Jersey Retirement Paul-pierce-ray-allen-83d8b4271b140099
FILE: Paul Pierce, left, and Ray Allen, right, celebrate during a 2011 game.(AP file photo/Charles Krupa)

By Jay King mjking@masslive.com

Ray Allen did not attend Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony Sunday and may have gone golfing that day instead. But in an Instagram post Tuesday, Allen congratulated Pierce on his accomplishment, reflected on the Boston Celtics' 2008 championship, and suggested he wants to continue rebuilding the damaged bond with his former teammate.

"Paul Pierce is the first guy that welcomed Kevin (Garnett) and me with open arms into his atmosphere from day one and we never looked back," Allen wrote. "Paul and I have spoken about our time together as teammates- going to battle night after night knowing we could count on one another and we have also talked about my decision to leave during free agency- a choice I made for my family. Despite what you may have heard or read or what is rumored- there is nothing but love.

"Paul and I are more interested in building bridges than putting up walls. To Paul, number 34, Congratulations on having your number raised up to the rafters. I salute you for your commitment to the city of Boston and to us the 2008 NBA Champions #thetruth"

"What we did in 2008 was special!" Allen added. "Not only by Boston standards but by professional sports standards. The truth is, without any one of us on that team we would've never been able to do the unthinkable. Going from last place in one year to winning a championship is unfathomable. But, we did it!

"WE did it- Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Glen Davis, Eddie House, Kendrick Perkins, Scott Pollard, James Posey, Leon Powe, Gabe Pruitt, Brian Scalabrine, Doc, Danny, everyone at the Celtics Organization, our wives, children, families, the Fans in The City of Boston and yes, me.

"Over the last few years I have been berated, lambasted and had my name smeared. You may not want to hear this, but I will always be a Celtic. (Fact). I will always cherish the bonds that I shared with all of my teammates and the people in the city of Boston. (Truth). We all gave everything we had. We all won and we all raised the 2008 NBA Championship banner together. (Ubuntu)"

trayfourWhat we did in 2008 was special! Not only by Boston standards but by professional sports standards. The truth is, without any one of us on that team we would’ve never been able to do the unthinkable. Going from last place in one year to winning a championship is unfathomable. But, we did it! WE did it- Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Glen Davis, Eddie House, Kendrick Perkins, Scott Pollard, James Posey, Leon Powe, Gabe Pruitt, Brian Scalabrine, Doc, Danny, everyone at the Celtics Organization, our wives, children, families, the Fans in The City of Boston and yes, me. Over the last few years I have been berated, lambasted and had my name smeared. You may not want to hear this, but I will always be a Celtic. (Fact). I will always cherish the bonds that I shared with all of my teammates and the people in the city of Boston. (Truth). We all gave everything we had. We all won and we all raised the 2008 NBA Championship banner together. (Ubuntu) Paul Pierce is the first guy that welcomed Kevin and me with open arms into his atmosphere from day one and we never looked back. Paul and I have spoken about our time together as teammates- going to battle night after night knowing we could count on one another and we have also talked about my decision to leave during free agency- a choice I made for my family. Despite what you may have heard or read or what is rumored- there is nothing but love. Paul and I are more interested in building bridges than putting up walls. To Paul, number 34, Congratulations on having your number raised up to the rafters. I salute you for your commitment to the city of Boston and to us the 2008 NBA Champions #thetruth

Allen's relationship with his former Celtics teammates was famously frayed when he signed with the Miami Heat as a free agent in the summer of 2012. Many of the Celtics players held a grudge for years, but Pierce and Allen started trying to repair the bond this summer.

A number of other '08 Celtics, including Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, attended Pierce's ceremony this weekend. Though Allen did not do the same, Pierce said he wasn't upset with the decision:

It feels kind of weak to Instagram about "building bridges" when you couldn't be bothered to attend a once-in-a-lifetime event, but, as Pierce said, to each his own.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Often times the players bury the hatchet - it seems to me the fans rarely do - with perhaps the exception of those times when a despised one joins the team via a trade or free agency.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Hell I wasn’t there either.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Don't matter...No Jersey in the rafters
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am

Ray Allen speaks 
2018/02/ray_allen_congratulates_paul_p.html

Well I can't get the link to come up... crud..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next