The National Anthem at the All-Star Game

+3
RosalieTCeltics
Shamrock1000
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

The National Anthem at the All-Star Game Empty The National Anthem at the All-Star Game

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm

The Anthem at the 2018 All-Star game was sung by Fergie.

And, for comparison, the inestimable Marvin Gaye singing it 35 years ago at the 1983 All-Star game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The National Anthem at the All-Star Game Empty Re: The National Anthem at the All-Star Game

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am

Might as well compare Fab Melo (God rest his soul) to Bill Russell. Nobody can compare with Marvin (God res his soul).

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

The National Anthem at the All-Star Game Empty Re: The National Anthem at the All-Star Game

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Marvin Gaye at least gave the National Anthem class.
Fergie, was awful. I shut her off!

Apples and grapefruits, she was horrible.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Not the worst rendition ever, Robert Goulet anyone? But Fergie, this isn't a pop song. karaoke on a cruise ship, or an opportunity to showcase your "style". Please do better next time.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I'll try and express my opinion without venturing anywhere I shouldn't.

First of all, yes, Fergie did indeed do a terrible job.

I think the national anthem should only be played or sung in the traditional arrangement in which it was written. It's about the song and the country, not the performer giving their interpretation.

It's the nation's anthem for goodness sake. Is there an alternative flag? No. And on The Anthem, there is no acceptable variation.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

It's always seems to be about the good old days vs the present - the athletes of the past vs the present - the music of the past vs the present. if there is no disrespect involved - then why not let each generation interpret through their generations eyes. Times--- they do change.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

The National Anthem should just be one thing that remains a constant. Sorry, I saw a few pro basketball players that thought it was comical. That should not be, it is the National Anthem. period. Forget their "renditions". She reminded me of Roseanne Barr the night she sang it like it was a big joke.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I don't think the NBA really minded it. It just added to the spectacle that is the ASG and it has people talking about it. In other words, free press.

It was a pretty bad job, but then again I don't have much of an emotional attachment to this anyhow.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down