Theis figuring out the North American way

Go down

Theis figuring out the North American way Empty Theis figuring out the North American way

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:37 pm

http://www.telegram.com/news/20180226/celtics-daniel-theis-figuring-out-north-american-way?platform=hootsuite

Celtics’ Daniel Theis figuring out the North American way

By Scott Souza, @ScottSouza
Posted Feb 26, 2018 at 9:05 PM
Updated at 9:28 AM

BOSTON — Daniel Theis speaks in measured English — pausing frequently between words to make sure they best convey his thoughts on the game of basketball.

The 25-year-old German is well-versed in the game from his seven years playing professionally in Europe. And his command of English is strong for someone who moved to the United States full-time for the first time after signing with the Celtics last summer. But he knows enough to know that not everything translates quite so easily.

It’s a lesson he’s learned both with language and with some of the subtle differences between the European game and the NBA. As he gets more comfortable with the latter, his already-surprising contributions to Boston’s success are only increasing.

“I had watched him on film,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said before Monday night’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies. “I watched him in the Euro championships, and thought I had a pretty good idea about him. But thinking back to our first couple of exhibition games I was still learning about him, too. That comes with young guys who haven’t been in the league before.

“But he’s been really consistent with what he does best. And we’ve benefited from it.”

Theis had a career game on Friday night in Detroit, scoring 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting, with seven rebounds, against the Pistons. He then got the start on Saturday in New York while Aron Baynes nursed a sore elbow. He pulled down seven more rebounds in just 18 minutes that night and is averaging a team-best 10.7 rebounds-per-36-minutes on the year.

“Over there (in Europe) I would just out-jump people,” he said. “Here, you just can’t. You’ve got to box out. Point guards will out-jump you here. That was one of the biggest adjustments.”

Another adjustment has come with his 3-point shot. He shot just 16 percent (4-for-25) through his first 34 NBA games. But he entered Monday night having made 44.4 percent (9-for-19) over his last 13.

“It’s the distance and the ball is different,” Theis said. “Also, just the rhythm. Lately, I’ve been shooting with more rhythm, shooting without hesitating. I got used to Brad’s system.”

Perhaps the biggest adjustment has come defensively where Theis has cut down on his fouls after racking them up at alarming levels early in the season. He committed four or more fouls in six of his first 12 games, while he had done so in only two of his last 10 entering Monday despite playing considerably more minutes.

“I got a lot of fouls (early),” he said. “People like Al Horford, especially, came to me and were telling me how to do better on defense. Just keep the hands back and straight. Marcus Smart too. I try to keep the hands back so I don’t get in foul trouble.”

His ability to cover so much ground defensively — while holding his ground against bigger bodies in the post — has made him a versatile and reliable weapon for Stevens.

“He can do a little bit of both because of how laterally athletic he is,” the coach said. “He’s got really good feet. I think he’s gotten more comfortable with the rules of verticality in the NBA and getting a little bit better at that.

“At the start of the year it felt like he did foul a lot — especially at the rim — but he’s doing a better job. His length, in addition to his athleticism, makes a difference defensively. He can catch up to balls. He can get back into plays. He can make shots feel tougher with his presence.”

This all while playing mostly center at 6-foot-8 and 245 pounds.

“When I’m guarding people in the post, I know they are going to go at me,” he said. “I’m smaller, a little bit lighter, so I try to work before so they don’t catch the ball right in the paint. Anyone is tough to defend when they catch the ball in the paint. I try to get them to use some pivots so we can adjust our team defense as well.”

Taking it slow

Shane Larkin was available for the second straight game on Monday after playing five minutes off the bench on Saturday in New York. Larkin had missed the previous nine games with knee soreness.

“Shane felt great after Saturday,” Stevens said. “But if he does play (this week), it will be very limited minutes again. We’re still very much in the process of bringing him back slowly.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down