Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

+3
RosalieTCeltics
wideclyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets Empty Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:21 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jahlil-okafor-not-sure-next-201553782.html

Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

Kurt Helin,NBC Sports 20 hours ago

When Jahlil Okafor went to the Nets, it seemed he would get his chance to prove he still had a place in the NBA. Despite the injuries and a below-the-rim game and struggling defense, the Nets seemed a place he could get some run and show what he can do

In the Nets 18 games since the All-Star break, he has played in just three. He may well not get on the court again.

Okafor is an unrestricted free agent, so what is next for him next summer? He doesn’t know, as he told the New York Post.

And while Okafor has professed to be happy with the Nets, how will he weigh court time, money, playing style, an opportunity to win and other factors in where he signs? “All that goes into it,” said Okafor, who did not play in Sunday’s 108-96 loss to the Pistons. “But honestly I have no experience with this whatsoever, so I’m just trying to finish the season strong. [I’ll have] guidance from people who’ve dealt with what I’m going to deal with, and lean on them. I really don’t know what to expect. But, at the end of the day, I want to play basketball.”
Okafor will have a few options, but mot many — there are teams willing to role the dice on him, although unlikely with a fully guaranteed deal for the next season. He’s going to have to again prove he can stay healthy and contribute to stick in the league.

But all he wants is a chance, and he should get that. Somewhere.

bob
MY NOTE:  A dinosaur, much like Monroe.  Heavy low post offense-oriented, weak on defense and not terribly mobile.  At least Monroe is a good high post passer and rebounder, Jahlil isn't either of those.  If we lose Baynes and/or Monroe next year Okafor might be good as a 3rd string center for us.  He's still young.  I can't see him getting more minutes than Theis, but there is a place for a brute.  Baynes is better than Okafor, defensively for sure but more versatile offensively too, but Baynes might want more money than Danny is willing to pay.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets Empty Re: Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

Post by wideclyde Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Following Okafor for two seasons, I was very disappointed that he did not get any more playing time with the Nets than he did with the 6ers.

This fact has to bring up plenty of questions for this guy moving forward such as: perhaps Philly did not do him wrong, was he not coachable in either city, is he just incapable of learning, what kind of future does he have in the NBA, is he Europe bound sooner than any other third pick in any draft, etc, etc.

Could be that this guy is just washed up already and that he may have turned into one of the biggest draft busts in history. Looks like he certainly will be taking a pay cut next year wherever he can sign a contract.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets Empty Re: Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:16 pm

This is a story of a kid who jumped from college too soon. $$$$
that is what he thought he would get. But, after all this time,
I see him getting bounced from team to team until he ends up overseas, with Sully. Look at OJ Mayo, banned for two years from the NBA and just signed with Puerto Rico. There are so many guys in the same boat.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 pm

He averaged 17.5 points and 7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks as a rookie logging 30 MPG.  The next year his minutes dropped to 22 and his scoring average and rebounding went down as well.

I hardly think he is washed up.  He just needs to be on a team that knows how to utilize his skills.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Outstanding start as a 20 year old number 3 pick - and since then it's been all down hill - but only 22 and the big question is - what has gone wrong? Still very young so there is still a chance to bounce back.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Watch him play.

This is an NBA starting center.

He just needs to be with a team that uses him in the right offense.

His defense isn't terrible either; it's average at worst.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

NYCelt wrote:Watch him play.

I was going to ask if anyone felt he was worth a roster spot next year. I assume you feel that would be a yes.

at the mid-level exception , I assume?

I think I would, as he has more chance of upside than anyone we will likely get late in this years draft.

so the question for me is, CAN Okafor fill either Monroe or Baynes shoes on our roster next year?

I would have a said a big YES, up until this season...now I have no idea.

so what do you think?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 pm

kdp,

You guessed right on my opinion.

I think Okafor could fill either Monroe or Baynes spot. In a perfect world (my perfect world, anyway) he would combine with a big from this years draft like McCoy, or maybe Wagner if others are gone. I think the price tag on Okafor might be tolerable, but I'm not certain about the mid-level exception. I believe we would be getting a long-term solution.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:50 pm

kdp59 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Watch him play.

I was going to ask if anyone felt he was worth a roster spot next year. I assume you feel that would be a yes.

at the mid-level exception , I assume?

I think I would, as he has more chance of upside than anyone we will likely get late in this years draft.

so the question for me is, CAN Okafor fill either Monroe or Baynes shoes on our roster next year?

I would have a said a big YES, up until this season...now I have no idea.

so what do you think?

kdp59

Check out the below link. It dates back 2 years and has some clips of Okafor during his rookie year. I was very high on him then - but I've been way off base so far. I can only guess that it has been a non physical issue that has led to his rapid demise. I still would give him a shot.

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t11375-okafor-on-youtube

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down