The argument for trading Terry Rozier

4 posters

Go down

The argument for trading Terry Rozier Empty The argument for trading Terry Rozier

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:07 am

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/4/8/17178104/why-the-boston-celtics-will-sell-high-on-terry-rozier-marcus-smart?src=rss

Would be a shame to see him go but this article makes sense.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

The argument for trading Terry Rozier Empty Re: The argument for trading Terry Rozier

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Steve,

You're right. It makes sense.

I'd hate to give up almost any one of the young prospects from our current roster. I'm sure many fans find the very idea far fetched, but it's a very real possibility if you think about it. The truth is that to get value, where we need to get stronger, we're going to need to give up value.

I think that Rozier, probably Brown, and at least one of those 2019 first rounders could be in play this off-season. I would like to keep all three, personally. But reality says we need bigs to complete a championship caliber roster. We can be sentimental and say no way, but that's not how it's done. That's not going to hang a banner.

So yes, that article makes perfect sense.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

The argument for trading Terry Rozier Empty Re: The argument for trading Terry Rozier

Post by k_j_88 Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:09 pm

On Danny's team, anyone can be traded at any given point.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm

The article is terribly flawed in many respects.

Let"s begin with Smart who will be an unrestricted free agent in a very limited free agent market.  A team would have to be over the CAP to give him anything other than the MLE.  As I have stated countless times Smart is not a hot commodity.  First he has not shown much improvement in any faze of the game and he gets nicked up a lot because he plays with reckless abandon and I am certain that team will also weigh his control issue like the fight he had with the picture frame.  Teams with CAP space are looking to rebuild and I just do not see Smart as a player that will command a big salary in a hard market.  There is a lot of competition for A very limited amount of cap dollars.  If Marcus was a better offensive player his opportunities would be enhanced.

With that in mind I think Boston can retain Smart and may be able to do so with the meager qualifying offer.  That would make him an unrestricted free agent next year but it would give Boston one more look see year.

The difference between Smart and Rozier is obvious.  Rozier has upside.

The article sure makes a lot of assumptions.  What if Irving has lost a step due to the surgery?  If he is playing great basketball next year and then opts out Boston would want to retain him.

Horford may or may not be resigned and if he is resigned it will have to be a big pay cut.  

Larkin  is a back up to a back up but he remains a big defensive liability and unreliable scorer.

As KJ said anyone can be traded including Rozier but I think he is looking like a keeper.  As far as Baynes and Monroe are concerned, Monroe may be too expensive and Baynes is not going to command a big pay day at age 31.

Most likely they try to keep Baynes, underpay Smart and extend Terry.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down