mrkleen09
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
wideclyde
dboss
Ktronic1
10 posters

Go down

Do the Celtics really want Leonard? Empty Do the Celtics really want Leonard?

Post by Ktronic1 Sun May 20, 2018 7:35 pm

I don’t want to start no “troubs” as my sister used to say when she felt trouble was inevitable. I was listening to a sports talk show this morning and I’m sure that this subject has been broached before in some shape form or fashion. On the show I caller called with a question concerning Leonard getting traded from the Spurs and everyone on the show agreed that the 2 best landing spots were Boston and Philadelphia.
Here’s what was proposed.
1. Leonard to the Celtics for Rozier and Jaylen Brown
2. Leonard to the Celtics for Rozier and Hayward and nexts years sacto or Memphis pick

My question to you is would any of you consider making that deal? Why and why not?
Okay....GO!

Ps. Don’t shoot the messenger
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Do the Celtics really want Leonard? Empty Re: Do the Celtics really want Leonard?

Post by dboss Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Even if he was healthy I would not make that move.

Danny has great young wings in Jalen and Jayson.  They are playing better than Leonard did during the same time.  (His 1st and 2nd year)

I think it is reasonable to project each of them as Allstar quality players and they are more relevant to a long term run.

With respect to Hayward and Rozier and a potential lottery pick why gut out your team and your future for Leonard?  

The fact is that Boston is blessed with an impressive collection of wings.  

I read that the Leonard injury may be more serious than has been reported.  

I think the Celtics can be better by keeping what they have and adding to it through the draft.  Most contracts are staggered.  The sacto pick will be needed next year and the Memphis pick is unprotected in 2021.  The Celtics are set to continue to add talent down the road.

As long as ownership keeps their promise to spend as a tax payer Boston may very well be a contender for the next 7-10 years.  I think Danny learned from the last rebuild that you cannot stay in contention long if you have old core players and bottom of the draft opportunities.  This rebuild is more sustainable.

Last edited by dboss on Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Do the Celtics really want Leonard? Empty Re: Do the Celtics really want Leonard?

Post by wideclyde Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Rozier can be traded if the Cs feel that they will be unable to re-sign him, but Brown STAYS! I do not think that Rozier and Brown can make this trade happen contract-wise. Additional players would have to be included along with high draft pick which would be altogether too much for a potential problem player.

Leonard has been a great player but this year he became a problem for one of the best all time coaches and programs which would seem to indicate that he could be such a problem for any other team as well.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

wideclyde wrote:Rozier can be traded if the Cs feel that they will be unable to re-sign him, but Brown STAYS!  I do not think that Rozier and Brown can make this trade happen contract-wise.  Additional players would have to be included along with high draft pick which would be altogether too much for a potential problem player.

Leonard has been a great player but this year he became a problem for one of the best all time coaches and programs which would seem to indicate that he could be such a problem for any other team as well.
I think the problem is not Leonard but the Spurs.  I think they may have misdiagnosed his injury.

Regardless, he is a physical question mark and hus career may very well be cut short.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm

We can go around and around and around again on this topic.

Leonard is probably damaged goods. If you want to know what is wrong with him, please go back to the last couple threads about him and read it there.

If it is true, it will be a sad ending to what could have been a great career.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm

I totally agree, why mess with success and future success that is sitting right on our bench right now.  
I will find it hard to believe Danny would even think about this.  

As far as Rozier is concerned, I do believe at some point he will be traded. Mostly because he wants a big role on a team..i.e. Starter.
He will not be happy in another year if he is still on the bench so. It will not be a question of when not if.  That is to say if he continues to grow his game and improve his game even more.

People who think that Danny would consider trading Hayward are wrong.  They did not wait two plus years to go after a guy to trade him before he ever plays for them. What a sour taste that would leave in a lot of fans mouths, including Stevens.  I think those suggestions are way out of the realm of reality.  Myself?  I cannot wait to see this team with our superstars back and Theis.  What fun it will be to watch them!!

So, to go back to your original topic, Leonard can go elsewhere, I do not want him.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Agree with Rosalie.

No thanks. Damaged goods, both physically and mentally. We have a drama free team of young guns. Dont need a diva.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Ktronic,

No "troubs" at all! It is a frequent topic in the sports media and Boston gets mentioned as a possible landing spot repeatedly. I think that makes it fair game when there's a new slant, like who to trade.

I wouldn't do either deal for Leonard for a couple of reasons that have been mentioned in one form or another. The uncertainty over his injury and the fact that we have so many outstanding wings now we could hold a small-forward fire sale.

To at least expand on the proposals you heard, I would have to say, from Boston's standpoint, if there were to be a deal, including Hayward as proposed makes more sense than Brown. Hayward, like Leonard, is damaged to the point we don't know if he can return to what he was. In my opinion, you trade your biggest risk if you can get value in return. See Thomas, Isaiah. Trading damaged goods for damaged goods, however? I wouldn't.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 pm

I hope they keep Terry.

This year I learned that he is a pretty good combo guard.  Next year he will come off the bench but he should still get stsrter minutes.

Terry is our hedge against Irving going elsewhere.  If he is insistent on being a starter he may accept a 6th man role.  Is it possible to have two players that are your 6th man?

The combo of Smart and Rozier are a great backup guard tandem.  An injury here or there and either one of them can rotate into a starter position.

There will be games next year where Terry will be on the floor down the stretch.  

Despite my feelings about this Danny could pull the trigger on a deal because Tro is on the rise and everyone knows that.

I think if DA moves him he should do so if we can get into a top 5 draft position this year.  

I have my eye on Bamba.  Terry and the Sacto pick to Orlando who needs a PG.  keep #27 and draft a PG.  There should be some talent at 27.

If Donic does not stay in the draft it could muck things up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 pm

dboss wrote:I hope they keep Terry.

This year I learned that he is a pretty good combo guard.  Next year he will come off the bench but he should still get stsrter minutes.

Terry is our hedge against Irving going elsewhere.  If he is insistent on being a starter he may accept a 6th man role.  Is it possible to have two players that are your 6th man?

The combo of Smart and Rozier are a great backup guard tandem.  An injury here or there and either one of them can rotate into a starter position.

There will be games next year where Terry will be on the floor down the stretch.  

Despite my feelings about this Danny could pull the trigger on a deal because Tro is on the rise and everyone knows that.

1. I think if DA moves him he should do so if we can get into a top 5 draft position this year.  

2. I have my eye on Bamba.  3. Terry and the Sacto pick to Orlando who needs a PG.  4. keep #27 and draft a PG.  5. There should be some talent at 27.

If Donic does not stay in the draft it could muck things up.

dboss,

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes

I just wanted to be clear on what it was I agree with!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 20, 2018 11:27 pm

This thread has changed a little and that’s fine.

Just wanted to add there is a lot of backcourt talent every year in the 6’2”-6’4” range always coming out and Bamba has unique attributes that can make him an impact defensive presence and he has a legit FT stroke!! If Bamba is there, somewhere to be traded for, as much as I love TR’s expanding game, I would include him in a package with a draft pick to make that trade. We have 3 great wings next year all star caliber, they are versatile and not enough minutes for all 3 at the 3, so Smart could play the back up point, Brown could start and Hayward could also get minutes at the 2. That could work, maybe we include Morris or Yabu also to make it work.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 am

Sorry I got off track a bit with the Rozier stuff.

Look,  Boston does not have to go that route as far as going after a freakishly long center but it would be hard to argue against it.

Two years down the road when Al Horford has an expiring contract it would be great if a guy like Bamba was just stepping into his 3rd year with the team.

We have to groom a young center to remain in contention.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am

For the record. No no and no to a Leonard trade. We’re good!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon May 21, 2018 7:38 am

Just a couple of thoughts about any Kawhi trade.

since both teams are over the cap next year any trade has to match salarys (is it the 125% rule here?).

Kawhi has a $21M salary with a 15% trade kicker from what I see

which means trading Hayward even up fro him won't work as Gordon has a $31M salary also with a trade kicker.

so what would be possible salary wise:

Kawhi for Irving even up

Kawhi for fro Tatum, Brown, Morris and Rozier also work for salary.

with those considerations alone, one would have to pass on Leonard in any deal.

not even considering his possible long term health (which I don't know is really a concern).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 am

These proposed trades do not work, per the ESPN Trade Machine.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

I tried trading Rozier, Brown and Tatum (just for his salary, to match up with a high draft pick such as Sacto's might be), and the deal won't fly because Kawhi makes $18M and those 3 players combined make <$13M.  

Throw in Nader and Yabby and the deal works.  If the deal is done before July 1st Nader can be waived by them at no cost, but Yabusele's contract has another year on it before it becomes a team option and he can be not-picked-up.  I realize nobody may care about these two, but I want to be clear about how many players would have to go to get a player that is redundant with Gordon Hayward and Jayson Tatum but hasn't proven he's back to his original form.  We're talking about getting an injured wing who hasn't proven he is back when we just went through a year with an injured who hasn't proven he is back.  Why not trade Hayward for Kawhi, or trade Hayward for another big-name player?  Because nobody will pull that trigger until they see Hayward on the court and performing like he used to.  Why would Danny be more rash than his peers?  His team is in the EC Finals, only 3 other teams can make that claim and I don't see any of them trading for Kawhi (Cleveland would, if LeBron leaves, but I don't see where they have a package that would interest SAS).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 am

Just to be clear I was using next years salaries
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down