worcester
fierce
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lebron Opts Out Empty Lebron Opts Out

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:55 am

The Decision Part 2!

Joe Vardon: LeBron James’ agent informed the Cavs he will not exercise his $35.6 million option and thus will become an unrestricted free agent, sources told @clevelanddotcom … Story coming – via Twitter joevardon
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Lebron Opts Out Empty Re: Lebron Opts Out

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:58 am

Clearly this is not about the money because Lebron will make more if he remains with the Cavs.

This means Lebron is still looking for another championship.

No other team in the NBA can give Lebron the best shot at a championship than the Celts.

So those Celtic fans who don't like Lebron, be ready if Lebron talks to the Celtics.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

Oy vey again!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:00 pm

This is not much of a surprise as it allows James to officially look around to see if he might want to play somewhere else again.

It also puts pressure on Cleveland to make additional moves that James might like to get him to re-sign in Cleveland.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Actually, its Decision 3.0.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi,
I think Fierce has to change his handle to Relentless Smile Smile Smile - first Leonard, now Lebron.
On a serious note, what do you think if Lebron wants to come to Boston on some ridiculously low contract? Just to get 1 or 2 more rings. I'm pretty sure Celtics'd be unbeatable.
I don't have a strong opinion either way but I'm inclined to say NO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 pm

I am surprised. I really thought he would opt in even if he wanted to go elsewhere, then Cleveland could get something back in a trade.

plus this limits just how many teams can be in play for him

and if anyone says they wouldn't want LeBron at a MLE or below deal, they simply have not been paying attention, IMO.

he is still the best player in the game.

no matter he ain't coming here, no matter IF it would be in his best way to get more rings.

except for GS that is.....what would you think about him joining KD and Curry at GS?

I mean if we're talking MLE deals.....LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:12 pm

This doesn't surprise me.  He has to opt out in order to keep all his options open.

He can still coordinate a sign and trade between the Cavs and whoever. I believe that is how he did it the first time.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 pm

If he wants another star he will likely sign a one year deal for less.

I think he is LAL bound.  In absence of the Cavs being able to add another star player he has to move on.  His x date is a factor.  

I am sure that he has talked to key free agents and already knows who else is coming.

It is likely PG13.  While Leonard wants out it would result in gutting out the Laker roster.  I do not think it is feasible.  LAL still have to renounce their CAP holds just to sign James and George.

If they are somehow able to get all 3 it would be the greatest off season acqusitions in NBA history.

One thing seems certain.  The value of a deep rotation increases a team's chances to win. Can LAL win without a viable rotation???
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:35 pm

gyso wrote:This doesn't surprise me.  He has to opt out in order to keep all his options open.

He can still coordinate a sign and trade between the Cavs and whoever.  I believe that is how he did it the first time.

Opting out effectively limits the field to the following teams: Lakers, Sixers, and Cavaliers. The Lakers and 76ers are the only teams in the LeBron hunt with the cap space to sign him outright, and the Cavaliers have Bird Rights. None of the other potential LeBron destinations have enough cap space to give LeBron a maximum contract beginning at 35 percent of the salary cap.

That crucially included the Rockets, who would have gladly taken LeBron despite James Harden’s words after the NBA awards ceremony. Houston is well over the salary cap even before making decisions on Paul and Clint Capela. Even trading Ryan Anderson while taking no salary back won’t get them close enough to sign James outright.

It also includes the Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Clippers, and any other wild card LeBron destination.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/26/17505574/lebron-james-contract-free-agent-details-opt-out-rumors
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:53 pm

fierce wrote:
gyso wrote:This doesn't surprise me.  He has to opt out in order to keep all his options open.

He can still coordinate a sign and trade between the Cavs and whoever.  I believe that is how he did it the first time.

Opting out effectively limits the field to the following teams: Lakers, Sixers, and Cavaliers. The Lakers and 76ers are the only teams in the LeBron hunt with the cap space to sign him outright, and the Cavaliers have Bird Rights. None of the other potential LeBron destinations have enough cap space to give LeBron a maximum contract beginning at 35 percent of the salary cap.

That crucially included the Rockets, who would have gladly taken LeBron despite James Harden’s words after the NBA awards ceremony. Houston is well over the salary cap even before making decisions on Paul and Clint Capela. Even trading Ryan Anderson while taking no salary back won’t get them close enough to sign James outright.

It also includes the Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Clippers, and any other wild card LeBron destination.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/26/17505574/lebron-james-contract-free-agent-details-opt-out-rumors

Several other teams could add cap space in addition to the ones mentioned.

I do not think James is stuck on how much his salary will be. In 2017 he made a reported $86 million. So I ask you again why would he sign a contract fir 4-5 years?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:56 pm

A sign and trade allows LeBron to go to any team.  He isn't limited to just teams that have cap space.

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 pm

gyso wrote:A sign and trade allows LeBron to go to any team.  He isn't limited to just teams that have cap space.

But Lebron wants to go to a contender.

That's what the article was pointing out.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 pm

dboss wrote:
fierce wrote:

Several other teams could add cap space in addition to the ones mentioned.

I do not think James is stuck on how much his salary will be.  In 2017 he made a reported $86 million.  So I ask you again why would he sign a contract fir 4-5 years?

Just like the Celts trading Horford and Morris allows them to sign Lebron outright.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 pm

fierce wrote:
gyso wrote:A sign and trade allows LeBron to go to any team.  He isn't limited to just teams that have cap space.

Are you saying that he cannot go to any team that he wants to with a sign and trade?

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 pm

gyso wrote:
fierce wrote:

Are you saying that he cannot go to any team that he wants to with a sign and trade?  

Apparently not.

That's according to the article.

Here:

Thanks to a variety of circumstances, this year’s opt-out decision was different. James’ decision had a significant effect on this season’s chase because it narrowed the field significantly. Unless you’re a 76ers, Lakers, or Cavaliers fan, your team pretty much has no hope to acquire James now.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Sorry, Rockets fans. Nothing is truly impossible with Daryl Morey, but their only real hope was if James opted in to force a trade, a la Chris Paul. Now, they lack cap space to sign James, and sign-and-trade possibilities are remote.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 pm

gyso

Unlike the old CBA, the new CBA makes it harder to do a sign and trade.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:35 pm

If a team receives a player in a sign and trade, it is hard capped at the Apron, which is now $6M above the luxury tax level.

All a team has to do is shed enough salary first.  That's why they said is was possible for more than just the three listed teams to acquire LeBron, yet unlikely to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I think Fierce has to change his handle to Relentless Smile Smile Smile - first Leonard, now Lebron.
On a serious note, what do you think if Lebron wants to come to Boston on some ridiculously low contract? Just to get 1 or 2 more rings. I'm pretty sure Celtics'd be unbeatable.

AK
Not trying to be argumentative , but why would you say no to the Celtics becoming " unbeatable."
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:44 am

If LeBron comes, Kyrie goes.  I don't believe Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland just because of ownership, like LeBron is rumored to feel.  He left because he wanted to be his own man and come out from under LeBron's all-encompassing shadow.  If LeBron signs with Boston it will be as if he never left.  Do we want Kyrie to walk after next season because he is disgruntled with Danny signing LeBron, even on a one year contract?

The number of players Danny would trade Kyrie for could be counted on the fingers of a 3-toed sloth:  Curry, Davis and Embiid (or maybe Simmons).  Do you think any of them are available?  With Embiid or Simmons more players would have to come our way for salary matching.  Does anybody see that happening?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:47 am

Kyrie may go any way . The best case scenario might be to trade him and a couple other guys not named Brown or Tatum for Lebron, assuming Lebron wanted to come here. There is no doubt in my mind that, if we want to win now James insertion into the lineup, with Rozier ascending to a starting role, which he has been auditioning for, gives us a better shot than Kyrie. Of course , Irving is 7 years younger, but he has head multiple knee surgeries and may not want to spend his career in beantown. I doubt that any of this will happen, but due diligence is certainly warranted.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:51 am

lots of people think the Irving wanting to play for the Knicks is serious it appears.

I guess we'll find out after next season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am

kdp59 wrote:lots of people think the Irving wanting to play for the Knicks is serious it appears.

I guess we'll find out after next season.

Not me. I think it was just a statement made by Kyrie BEFORE he was traded to the Celtics. Now he is with the Celtics, he likes his situation (for now) and his thinking may have changed. As long as he stays happy and gets a max contract when it is time, he will stay here.

With Kyrie being a "free thinker", it may just be about his happiness in his situation and, of course, getting paid what he believes he deserves.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am

jrleftfoot wrote:
sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK
Not trying to be argumentative , but why would you say no to the Celtics becoming " unbeatable."

Jr,
First reason, Bobh's already answered - Kyrie.
Second, Lebron is good for one or two more years. During this time he'll ruin the team. He's like that proverbial scorpion.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next