cowens/oldschool
worcester
kdp59
jrleftfoot
Ktronic1
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart Empty Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 pm

They’re saying its in the 12-15 mill range.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart Empty Re: Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Number of years may be crucial.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart Empty Re: Kings preparing offer sheet for Marcus Smart

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 am

if that's all Danny should just match it. But if the Owners truly are looking to stay below the tax line this season, then one player on the Kings to look at with a sign and trade for Smart to the Kings would be

Harry Giles.

he has been rehabbing his knee since the lone season at Duke (though he played somewhat there) and has been looking like his old "top high school" player in summer league so far now .

he's a big man at 6-11 with a 7-3 wing span with big time skills (IF he can stay healthy) and is under team control for next year and TWO more years at under $4 M per year.

again My preference would be to keep Smart. But IF the Kings make an offer and Danny won't match, getting a big man who has Giles talent would be a nice second option, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 am

Giles would be an asset.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 am

He flashed some serious skills in SL, if he can stay healthy, huge asset IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:He flashed some serious skills in SL, if he can stay healthy, huge asset IMHO.

Look under Transactions. It says he was traded when he was 14 (in Jan. 2013) by Memphis. I must've missed that deal.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilesha01.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Not sure this is true although I suggested under another thread that the Kings may be interested in Smart after losing out on Levine.

Nothing under their local news see Sacramento Bee.

A Sherrod trying to be an insider.

Last edited by dboss on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Dboss..you are right, who knows what is really going on
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

I find no sources other than a tweet from A. SHERROD. That tweet is now the source of news articles.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

One minute he is ready to sign the qualifying offer, then this. Ainge was at the game last night, Marcus was there they supposedly joked a bit and Marcus moved on. Jaylen was there with Ainge last night also.

If this is true, I wonder what the big wait is. Zach Lavine signed with Chicago for about $78 million.
Blakely was claiming that the offer may be a little lower than that, (?) Too many questions so we will just wait it out and see. Would not shock me to see Marcus back, why would he want to exile himself in Sacramento? Money would be a big issue, but to what end???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Bleacher Reports: Offer for Smart from KIngs, NOT TRUE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm

More Dumb news on the Smart watch...Marcus seen talking and laughing with Nets GM Sean Marks last night at the Thomas and Mack center.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:10 pm

15 million per for Marcus Smart. No thanks.

33 for 3 would be my limit. Take it or leave it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm

My nephew was at Game 7 vs. Cleveland. He saw Marcus go 0-9 on 3's. That was enough for him to say don't pay Marcus big bucks. Me too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm

worcester wrote:My nephew was at Game 7 vs. Cleveland. He saw  Marcus go 0-9 on 3's. That was enough for him to say don't pay Marcus big bucks. Me too.

I was there too and saw Smart go 0-4 from three.

TR was 0-10 and Brown 3-12 from 3.

Nobody aside from Horford and Tatum shot well that game (team 34% FG)

If you’re basing $$$ on that game then lots of players are well overpaid.

Think your nephew needs to go back and watch it again.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 pm

The Kings definitely have money to make an attractive offer to Smart.

Reports that they are preparing an offer has not been determined and A Sherrod becomes another in a long list of reporters that jump the gun and report false information

I think Boston will not match any amount that makes them a taxpayer for 2018-19. I really believe Boston will have to become a taxpayer in the next year.

The owners have said they are willing to pay a luxury tax but know this. There are limits to that as well. The dreaded repeater tax as well as the incrementally increasing penalties makes it difficult for teams to keep their high salaried players.

Once you go down this road it is hard to get off. Teams initiate salary dumps and it usually means they have to part with draft assets to move a bad contract.

The Celtics do not want to start the clock until they get another year closer to where Horford is in the pipeline.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Everyone who has watched Celtics Basketball since Marcus Smart got here realized that offense was NOT his strong suit.

What he brings to a game is so much more important at times that you just wonder, "what if" he could shoot. Anyway, I would never base my decision on his return on that game. I was more frustrated with "terrible Terry" to be honest. But the fact remains, this was for all the marbles and these kids just did not have what it takes to beat a guy like LeBron James without your offense at full force.

I personally think it is important for him to return, but I am also not ready to cripple the team fianancially to do it.

Between Draper and Blakely they have more stupid "reports" that never hit the news than anyone
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm

beat wrote:
worcester wrote:My nephew was at Game 7 vs. Cleveland. He saw  Marcus go 0-9 on 3's. That was enough for him to say don't pay Marcus big bucks. Me too.

beat

Smart has shot the ball poorly for 4 years. Game 7 was not any different. For those that find that unacceptable to warrant a big raise and extension, almost any amount may seem like too much. For those that love his defense and care nothing or not much about how poorly he shoots, the idea that he must be resigned makes sense.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Everyone who has watched Celtics Basketball since Marcus Smart got here realized that offense was NOT his strong suit.  

What he brings to a game is so much more important at times that you just wonder, "what if" he could shoot.  Anyway, I would never base my decision on his return on that game. I was more frustrated with "terrible Terry" to be honest. But the fact remains, this was for all the marbles and these kids just did not have what it takes to beat a guy like LeBron James without your offense at full force.  

I personally think it is important for him to return, but I am also not ready to cripple the team fianancially to do it.

Between Draper and Blakely they have more stupid "reports" that never hit the news than anyone

And as bad as that 7th game was. And I know many are not fond of the + - stat

Marcus was + 2. The only other player that was a plus that game was the other Marcus with a +1.

I do hope there is some way we retain him.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 am

Mark Murphy
Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
Smart, according to source, would "consider" the four-year extension offer Celtics made last October, which was worth more annually than the three-year, $33 million deal just signed by Dante Exum.

bob
MY NOTE:  If Smart is willing to consider Danny's offer from last summer that means no current offer is as good.  The question is "does Danny put the screws to him or does he generate some long-term goodwill by re-offering the higher extension contract from last summer".

Btw, this a a non-Blakely tweet

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am

Four years $40M. Take it or leave it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 am

dboss wrote:
beat wrote:

beat

Smart has shot the ball poorly for 4 years.   Game 7 was not any different.   For those that find that unacceptable to warrant a big raise and extension, almost any amount may seem like too much.  For those that love his defense and care nothing or not much about how poorly he shoots, the idea that he must be resigned makes sense.  

Look I was only pointing out the stats W claimed were wrong.

Nowhere did I add anything beyond that about his shooting.

I do think the constant harping on his shooting is like beating a dead horse.

It is what it is

But it does seem that we play better when he is on the court.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am

Tom Halzack
Tom Halzack @TomHalzack
about 5 hours ago
"Once your team is in those those meaningful moments then all you talk about are the things that (Smart) does to capitalize on those moments." 21:40 Griffin on CNLSLive w/ Goodman. A good listen. #MarcusSmart #Celtics

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:47 am

I think that anyone who suggests the future contract numbers for any NBA player for terms, including length of contract and salary per season are working from a base of

1. mostly their personal feelings about the player and
2. lack of knowledge of the inner workings and the inner discussions of the franchise's management team

Even the comparisons of similar player equivalents (often part the process of evaluating the value of a house in a financing situation, either buying or refinancing) becomes irrelevant, due to the player's fit into the team structure, playing style, player interactions and the like.

I have stated the following a number of times throughout the history of this board and even in prior years at the BDC.  On any single team, there are players that are over payed and that are players that under payed, in relation to their value for the team and in the league in general.  While that certainly affects the overall salary cap situation, referring to one single player's salary in the total mix ignores the complex nature of the salary cap and the individual salaries that add up to the total team salary.

Some would say that Horford is overpaid and a strong argument could be made for that opinion.  What is left out is the fact that his presence on the team allows other free agents to consider joining our team, due to his many abilities that do not show up on the stat sheet.  Durant almost signed and Hayward did, as proof of that statement.

Irving is underpaid in this current market.  So is Morris, the two J's and many of the guys on their rookie contracts.

So by throwing out numbers that you think should be his top salary of what he should be his compensation, in my opinion, does not consider all the moving parts.  By all means, do not stop posting your thoughts, because that is what his board was created for, sharing opinions in a respectful way.  I do appreciate the many opinions presented here because we have a great group of knowledgeable Celtic fans on this board and I continually learn new things or new perspectives to look at many of the issues that cone up through the year.

Maybe I'll start a poll when I get back from the dentist, one of my favorite things to do, right after getting a colonoscopy.   No

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am

gyso wrote:

So by throwing out numbers that you think should be his top salary of what he should be his compensation, in my opinion, does not consider all the moving parts.  

Unless any of us are in the negotiations, this is true.  But from the outside - considering "comps" is a very sound way to arrive at a fair price.

For every Al Horford, who bring a laundry list of intangibles that are hard to quantify. I can give you 10 players who were considered to be overpaid at the time, and remain disastrous signings to this day. Just because the comparative comp model misses from time to time, in no way means it isnt the best worst option of calculating future worth and success.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next