Summer League Game Recap Blazers 95 Celtics 80

Go down

Summer League Game Recap Blazers 95 Celtics 80 Empty Summer League Game Recap Blazers 95 Celtics 80

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 am

http://www.nba.com/games/20180715/BOSPOR#/sl-recap

Game Recap: Blazers 95, Celtics 80
Jul. 15, 2018 8:14 PM ET

Juan Blanco, Rotowire

LAS VEGAS -- John Jenkins poured in a team-leading 25 points to lead the Portland Trail Blazers to a 95-80 win over the Boston Celtics in a Las Vegas Summer League quarterfinal-round playoff game at Thomas and Mack Center on Sunday evening.

The Trail Blazers (5-0) came out with a hot hand, taking a 27-19 first-quarter lead. The Celtics (4-2) were slightly more effective in the second period, but Portland still held at 46-40 lead at intermission. Boston was able to claw back and forge multiple ties during the third period, the last coming at the 3:39 mark of the quarter after a Guerschon Yabusele 26-foot three-pointer. However, a 10-0 run by the Blazers was a turning point, as the Celtics never got closer than six points again.

Portland held sizable advantages in shooting (47.4 percent-39.7 percent) and rebounds (42-31), while also eliciting 12 turnovers from Boston. The Celtics only held two leads, with the second and final coming at the 7:37 mark of the opening period.

Trey Davis led the Celtics with 19 points and added four rebounds, three assists and one steal. Hassan Martin and Yabusele generated matching 16-point tallies, with the former providing nine rebounds, one assist and one block, and the latter supplying four boards and a pair of dimes. Pierria Henry totaled seven points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals.

Jenkins added two assists and one rebound to his game-high scoring total. Wade Baldwin IV finished with a 14-point, 10-assist double-double that also included a rebound and a steal. Archie Goodwin followed with a bench-leading 13 points and complemented them with three rebounds, one assist and two steals. Zach Collins managed 11 points, eight rebounds, one assist and three blocks. Caleb Swanigan posted one point but hauled in nine rebounds.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Summer League Game Recap Blazers 95 Celtics 80 Empty Re: Summer League Game Recap Blazers 95 Celtics 80

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/07/celtics_notebook_guerschon_yabusele_dazzles_in_vegas_finale

LAS VEGAS — In the end, it was a Portland team loaded with talent from the last three drafts that ended summer league for the Celtics, who fell in a 95-80 quarterfinals loss last night with some of their best players on the bench.

Jabari Bird and Semi Ojeleye, their two offensive leaders, were rested after long summer stints. Guerschon Yabusele thus became an offensive focus and responded with his best scoring night of the tournament with 16 points, including four treys.

RISING TO CHALLENGE: Guerschon Yabusele, shown dunking before a playoff game against the Bucks in April, has been working on his overall game with the Celtics’ summer league team in Las Vegas.  
Guerschon Yabusele learning the ins and outs of making it with the Celtics
“They got to compete against some guys who are going to be in the NBA for awhile,” said Celtics assistant/summer league coach Jay Larranaga. “Chance to play against the highest level of young NBA talent. We told the whole group that this is information, and do what you can with that information to improve. Guys that are able to stay in the league are the ones who care about basketball — they watch it, they study it.”

Of the free agents on the roster, Hassan Martin, the former URI star, stood out last night with 16 points and nine rebounds.

“Hassan Martin consistently competed, and even though he was undersized was able to finish, even (last night) against some really big bodies in Portland,” said Larranaga. “He was somebody I didn’t know coming in, but I was really impressed with how he competed.”

Martin will now wait for word from his agent regarding the chance of a two-way contract with the Celtics. The team made room for a new two-way player by waiving Kadeem Allen yesterday.

“For sure,” Martin said of whether he’s the kind of prospect perfect for a two-way deal. “Some teams need that guy that can bring that energy and motor. Sometimes it’s hard to get a roster spot for a guy like me, but that gives me a chance of getting a roster spot. I’m thankful.”

Ojeleye guarantee

In the grand scheme of Ojeleye’s career, the significance of yesterday’s development will be soon forgotten.

But for a player who would never have gone this far without an unrelenting work ethic, the fact that the Celtics guaranteed the second year of the power forward’s contract has extra meaning.

Ojeleye will make $1.4 million next year, with the Celtics holding options on two subsequent seasons as well.

“Not in the front of my mind, but I’m aware it’s there,” said Ojeleye. “When I think about it, I just think day to day of what I’ve been doing. Work hard, win these games until you get better. It’s a blessing. More of a private thing you share with the family, but it shows that anything can happen.”

Ojeleye has taken risks along the way to make his NBA dream possible, starting with his decision as a Duke sophomore to leave once it became apparent he wasn’t a serious part of Mike Krzyzewski’s plan.

He transferred to SMU and with Larry Brown — as good a coach as there is for preparing a young athlete for the NBA — blossomed well enough to be taken by the C’s with the 37th pick of the 2017 draft.

He not only stuck on the roster, but cracked Brad Stevens’ rotation, with his defensive quickness in particular leading to a role in the playoffs. He disrupted Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo during the Celtics’ first-round series win, and was part of the defensive rotation on LeBron James in the Eastern Conference finals.

“Makes it worth it so to speak to see that everything you put into it is coming back to you. A blessing,” he said. “It’s been non-stop since my last year at SMU — that season and pre-draft. It’s been a long year but it’s taught me a lot. No breaks, but this is what you ask for, so it’s all good.”

Ojeleye has, in fact, made plans for his first big vacation since becoming a Celtic, and will take his family to Maui now that the summer league has concluded.

“Have to remember why you work,” he said of rewarding himself, finally, for his efforts. “So spending time with my family will be good.”

Williams out again

Robert Williams’ inactive odyssey continued as he missed the last five summer league games with a left knee contusion. Williams scored four points and grabbed two rebounds in his only Vegas contest.

mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down