Marcus's season finally ends

+2
NYCelt
beat
6 posters

Go down

Marcus's season finally ends Empty Marcus's season finally ends

Post by beat Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Well the kids first varsity season is behind us.
We lost a tough one in the league semifinals when with the bases loaded and 2 out inthe bottom of the 7th (last inning) in a tie game the Coach called upon Marcus.............as fate would have it the very first pitch he threw got by the catcher allowing the winning run to score from third.

Anyway the team advanced to Sectional play and was pitted against a good team from the Syracuse area Marcellus (yes the place that use to make caskets) Of course they were home. After 2 complete innings it was 13-0. With the team well out of it Marcus came in to pitch the bottom of the 6th and has been the case most of the season the defense was 1962 Mets like. After 2 booted ground balls and then a clean single the bases were loaded. He ended up striking out the next kid and then got 2 fly outs, only allowed 1 run that was unearned, 17 pitches 13 strikes.

In the top of the 7th inning he was slated to bat second. He hasn't had many at bats this year as when he has pitched he was DH'd for. Anyway first pitch he hits solid but way foul. Next pitch a liner to deep right center that for a fleeting moment I thought might clear the fence. It short hopped the wall and the kid had his first extra base hit of the year in his last At bat. Not quite Ted Williams like but we'll take it.

Now its on to a full summeer slate of baseball on 2 babe ruth teams. Perhaps a total of 50 games or so and this will be against kids his age too so he should do well. Only drawback is with tournaments every weekend I now know that the Boston party will not be happening this summer. Sorry Bob sam NYCelt and everyone but I know you all understand.

Marcus has a lot of work to do if he really wants to take this somewhere. We know it's a long shot but the journey no matter what the ending is, will be interesting..............if not rewarding.

Here are a couple photos of his last game.

05-26 sectional BB 52510\sectional BB 52510 268.JPG

Little difficulty uploading photos right now so Ill try again in a bit.

beat

Last edited by beat on Fri May 28, 2010 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Marcus's season finally ends Empty Re: Marcus's season finally ends

Post by beat Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Marcus's season finally ends Sectio12

Marcus's season finally ends Sectio13

Marcus's season finally ends Sectio14

Marcus's season finally ends Sectio15

Marcus's season finally ends Sectio16
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 pm

beat,

It doesn't matter how far Marcus goes as long as he enjoys the ride. When you look at his baseball experience so far, playing varsity at this early age, he's already gone farther than the vast majority of those who ever pick up a bat and glove.

Let me know if any of those games or tournaments take you a little farther west along the lake or down the thru-way and I'll try and add to the fan base.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Beat,

The last picture says it all. Good luck to him. He's lucky to have you.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Yeah, I like the last picture too. The happy look of a young guy immersed in a favorite pastime.

Wow, 50 games will be an immersion course. Wish Marcus all the best, and we'll eat cannolis for you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Good luck to you and Marcus Beat. Good kid, good father, who could ask for more.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 28, 2010 5:42 am

The last one is our favorite too!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am

Absolutely, the last pic is the best.

Fer Pete's Sake, he just turned 15. He's a JV-aged kid playing his first season of Varsity ball. Of course he has a long way to go.

What I have heard from you, beat, is that throughout most of this season, the defense has been absolutely execrable, but Marcus pitched pretty well. His team behind him just didn't get the job done. If I'm getting this right, that's a very good individual first season.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am

Bob

The defense was poor but they were what they were. No knock on them but sometimes the fields we play on were just a little under major league standards too.............(being a bit sarcastic) and Marcus did give up a few moon shots that are in orbit somewhere. You are correct though he had a pretty good overall season and I believe he knows it too.

We'll see whay he does in the age group (under 15) setting with the Babe Ruth teams this summer. But my goodness we'll being going almost every day after next weekends tournament.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 pm

beat wrote:Bob

The defense was poor but they were what they were. No knock on them but sometimes the fields we play on were just a little under major league standards too.............(being a bit sarcastic) and Marcus did give up a few moon shots that are in orbit somewhere. You are correct though he had a pretty good overall season and I believe he knows it too.

We'll see whay he does in the age group (under 15) setting with the Babe Ruth teams this summer. But my goodness we'll being going almost every day after next weekends tournament.

beat

beat,

I'm sure the coaches are smart and alert enough to see that a ground ball that is booted by the shortstop or misplayed by the center fielder isn't Marcus's fault. The key is to make sure Marcus sees it too and doesn't let it affect his attitude when he gets up on the mound.

So, he gave up some moon shots. BFD. How do you think Hank Aaron got 755? Somebody had to serve him up the ball and they were all major leaguers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down