Depth on Display

3 posters

Go down

Depth on Display Empty Depth on Display

Post by wideclyde Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 am

The win over at least a decent New Orleans team clearly showed off the Cs 2020 depth.

Winning by 13 with Irving, Horford, Hayward and Baynes out not only gave some guys more minutes, slightly different roles and a chance to
get court time, but ended up in a sixth straight win when most of us probably thought the NO game could have been a loss due to the number
and the names of the injured/sick.

This was a very important game, in my opinion, that I hope that the team leaders make mention of.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Depth on Display Empty Re: Depth on Display

Post by gyso Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 am

I heard the talking heads from the NBATV crew last night talking about "less is more" with the Celtics.  

I think they are saying that there are many very good players on the Celtics and some of them do not get the playing time it takes to fully blossom.  Any time one or two players are removed from the equation, be it by injury or illness, the players filling in really have a great game.

As evidence, Daniel Theis had a very good game against the Bulls.  Likewise the showing we got from Robert Williams last night against the Pelicans.  Dozier and Wannamaker have shown signs, albeit in garbage time, that they can play at this level.

If "less is more" is true with the Celtics this season, the coaching staff must take advantage of it and make sure that every player (at least 1-12) get their playing time.  Not in every game, but on average.  

Give the wounded players DNPs until they are 100%.  Sit some players on back to backs; first or second game, it doesn't always have to be the second game. Give Semi, Yabu, Wannamaker and Dozier some meaningful playing time.

The regular season is a good time to put this chemistry test into play.  Use our depth to run the legs off the other team.  We can always tighten up the rotation later in the season going into the playoffs.  

This way, our best players will be more rested after the long season and our deep bench will be game tested.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 am

gyso

I think that as players reach a comfort level with playing less minutes but still playing well (i.e. Marcus Smart 24.4 MPG) the Celtics will be able to fully utilize their depth.

You said "Use our depth to run the legs off the other team." that my friend is exactly how the depth can and should be used.

Brad has a great opportunity to make this team play fast and at a very high level of intensity because he has a roster that can do that over the entire game.

In some respects Brad has not taken full advantage of this strategy. But to keep a deep roster engaged he has to play a lot of guys.

This team has the ability to become an offensive juggernaut and a maniacal defensive unit if they employ their depth with the intent of aggression for 48 minutes.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down