dboss
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME Empty POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Crushes Hawks 129-108, Pushes Win Streak To Eight

NESN by Joshua Schrock on Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:20PM

The Boston Celtics are firing on all cylinders.

Boston extended its winning streak to eight games Friday by hammering the lowly Atlanta Hawks 129-108 at TD Garden.

The C’s scored 42 points in the first quarter, but let the Hawks back into the game, holding just an 11-point lead at the break. But Boston scored 41 more points in the third quarter to put Atlanta out of its misery. The Hawks were careless with the ball all night and the Celtics took advantage, scoring 42 points off turnovers. Boston also knocked down 19 3-pointers in the demolition of the Hawks.

Kyrie Irving led the C’s with 24 points, while Jayson Tatum (22), Marcus Morris (20), Gordon Hayward (19) and Daniel Theis (18) also scored in double figures.

With the win, the Celtics improve to 18-10, while the Hawks fell to 6-22.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris
C: Aron Baynes

DOUBLED UP
Boston took it to the Hawks early, starting the game on a 13-3 run over the first 3:05 of the game, capped by an Irving 3-pointer that forced Atlanta to call timeout.

The timeout didn’t help the Hawks, as Boston continued to pour it on, extending its lead to 23-5 midway through the quarter.

Irving was cooking early.

Atlanta cut the lead to 10 with a quick 8-0 run, but the C’s finished the opening stanza on a 19-6 burst to take a 42-19 lead into the second quarter.

Boston shot 72.7 percent (!!!) in the first quarter, led by 12 from Irving and nine from Morris. Kevin Huerter paced the Hawks with six.

HAWKS SHOW SOME FIGHT
Despite being thoroughly outplayed in the first quarter, Atlanta didn’t quit.

The Hawks opened the second stanza on a 23-5 run to cut the C’s lead to five with 5:13 remaining in the frame. Atlanta’s flurry included a 19-0 spurt.

Boston finally started to right the ship, going on a 9-4 run to push the lead back to 10 with under four to play. Hayward scored seven of the C’s 10 points during the spell.

Boston maintained its lead for the remainder of the period, taking a 67-56 lead into the break.

Irving was the high man with 16 in the half, while Hayward added 14 and Morris scored 12. Huerter led the Hawks with 12.

C’S TURN ON THE JETS
Boston put its poor second quarter behind it quickly, as the Celtics opened the third on a quick 10-0 run.

First, Tatum drilled a midrange J, then Irving knocked down back-to-back 3-pointers before Morris capped the run with a layup off a smooth dish from Smart.

The Celtics continued to assert their will throughout the third quarter, with rookie center Robert Williams III recording highlights on both ends of the floor.

The Celtics finished the third quarter leading 108-82. Tatum scored 15 points in the frame, while Irving and Morris added eight points apiece in the stanza.

Irving led all scorers with 24 points after three. Huerter continued to be the Hawks’ best offensive option, as the rookie had 19 through three.

GARBAGE TIME
The Hawks were unable to make a dent in Boston’s lead early in the frame, causing both teams to go to their bench for most of the frame.

PLAY OF THE GAME

UP NEXT
The Celtics will take the floor next Saturday when they visit the Detroit Pistons. Tip-off from Little Caesars Arena is set for 7 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME

Post by dboss Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Another blowout.  I thought they played their best basketball in the first QTR and the 3rd QTR was equally great.  It is just that Boston looked unstoppable to open the game.

Tough turnaround tomorrow on the road at Detroit but we have until 7 pm Saturday to savor win #8 in a row.

The Celtics have a legit rim protector!

A top defensive team has found a rim protector.  His excellent screens have also been a pleasant surprise

GH balling

Tatum balling

Morris balling

Kyrie super balling

Theis balling

The Celtics have a boatload of talent.  Baynes, Theis and Wiliams made me forget that AH did not play.

Everyone is contributing.  

Now let's see how they close out the year.  That will certainly tell us more about the quality of this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Who did we beat?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am

We beat the Little Sisters of the Poor, but we did so without showing any mercy.

Dboss listed a bunch of superb players, but he forgot to mention a fine performance by Marcus Smart - who despite going scoreless really contributed.

Williams is such a joy to watch, and it is obvious this young man will become a defensive standout who I bet will develop a decent shot from 0-10 feet out.

Jaylen was such a disappointment with his offense, going 2-12, the fourth most shots of any Celtic, but his spirit was good. He was aggressive on defense, and I got the sense he's getting his taste for the game back.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:28 am

Oh yeah how about 2nd quarter Kyrie threads the needle to Hayward on a fast break, perfect ala Bird/Magic beautiful pass and Hayward catches it and blows the finish right at the rim!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:07 am

Actually I thought the highlight of the game was Scal telling that Larry Bird story, let’s see who else heard it....???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:53 am

As Worcester mentioned Smart was great.  Great passing with 7 assists and great defense with 4 steals.  Kyrie also had 4 steals.

It was a team win with contributions from everyone.

Last edited by dboss on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:02 am

With Philly dropping 2nd in a row Celtics moved into 4th place. Sixers, Celtics, Pacers and Bucks all bunched together.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:06 am

Raptors got beat in Portland and play Denver Saturday. They can run but they cannot hide.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 am

Here's the game flow.  There were two long scoring droughts for us.

The first that spanned from the end of the 1st through half of the 2nd quarter.  That was our bench, including Brown and Rozier.  Not only didn't they score, they didn't play any defense during that stretch.

The second that spanned from the end of the 3rd through about 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.  That was the beginning of an extended garbage time.

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME 2018-126

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:35 am

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME 2018-128

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:35 am

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME 2018-127

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:52 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Actually I thought the highlight of the game was Scal telling that Larry Bird story, let’s see who else heard it....???

The one about the duel game with Dominique?  Someone (Kevin Willis?) walked up to Bird, poked him in the chest and said something to him.  Trash talk, of course.  That got Bird fired up and it turned his game from a normal one to an extraordinary one.  The rest is history, as they say.

What did Willis say?

On a personal note, I was living in Bangor Maine, near the Paul Bunyan statue at the time.  During the 80's I lived pretty much a nomadic life.  I didn't live in the same place long enough to have to dust.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 am

Before we go off on the poor performance of Jaylen Brown, please understand that he was listed as the following before the game:

Comment: Brown (illness) is questionable for Friday's game against the Hawks.

Jaylen missed the game against the Wizards a couple nights before.  Gordon Hayward also missed a couple games for the same thing (illness).  It is probably something that is going through the locker room. Jaylen decided at game time to play through it.

Let's give him a game or two to get back to full strength before we start the (as of now) unwarranted trashing of Jaylen Brown.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am

That Bird story was classic. Do NOT piss off Larry!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:02 am

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Actually I thought the highlight of the game was Scal telling that Larry Bird story, let’s see who else heard it....???

The one about the duel game with Dominique?  Someone (Kevin Willis?) walked up to Bird, poked him in the chest and said something to him.  Trash talk, of course.  That got Bird fired up and it turned his game from a normal one to an extraordinary one.  The rest is history, as they say.

What did Willis say?

On a personal note, I was living in Bangor Maine, near the Paul Bunyan statue at the time.  During the 80's I lived pretty much a nomadic life.  I didn't live in the same place long enough to have to dust.

gyso

gyso,

Willis poked Bird in the chest and said "Lock him down, 'Nique!", and Dominique was like "NO! Don't say that!", and Larry went off.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:13 am

gyso wrote:

What did Willis say?

gyso

Well let me tell you something.  Whenever Atl plays Boston I can only get the Atlanta feed.  They must be reading the news on Jaylen because throughout the entire game all they did was rip him up and down and backwards and forward.  Every single missed shot or Turnovers was magnified times 3.  It was very unusual as I do not recall a game where the Atlanta announcers were so zeroed in on a bad performance from one of our players.

In the meantime they never once mentioned the poor performance from Trae Young who was 2-11 and 0-6 from deep with 3 assists and 3 turnovers.

Jaylen did struggle last night but he did have 6 boards and a block 2 assist and 2 turnovers.  His shooting was ghastly.  But I refuse to beat up on him.  he clearly did not have a high energy level.

You know how defensive and offensive ratings are used as evidence?  Those ratings are very deceptive.  Case in point.   Last night Robert Williams had the worst defensive rating of any player on the Celtics at 120.5  He blocked 5 shots last night and changed at least another 5.   These ratings are very dependent on who he is on the court.  I would really like to see him get some more minutes with the first unit.   This will be difficult to do because Theis is playing very well and you have Baynes to consider although he does not look to be 100% right now.

It appears that the depth of guys who can play the 5 is pretty solid.  Al has missed 4 games and Boston has not missed a beat.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:38 am

I wonder if the stat compilers will ever take the time to note how many blocks actually turn out to be a turnover - of Williams 5 blocks last night 4 were recovered by Atlanta. There's a stat that needs closer scrutiny.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am

So true dboss. RW has played very well defensively but the +/- stats don't reflect it. Jaylen still showed spirit on the defensive end. HIS OFFENSE WILL COME AROUND. Meanwhile there is so much to be gleeful about on this squad. Theis really is blossoming. Wow. Kyrie - an awesome player. Smart - tough as an NBA player gets to be. Marcus Morris has become one helluva player. Gordon Hayward is simply fun to watch. Such a smooth stroke, and he is so quick. A great passer and rebounder too. One smart dude with a high bball IQ. Actually that is a trait of the entire squad - high BBall IQ.

Terry played really well. Such a pleasure to watch him compete also.

What the hell was Atlanta thinking to trade Doncic for Young? I just do not get it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am

Glad all you guys, my buddies were listening Lol

We don’t miss a thing, I thought our talent won the game, we actually played sloppy for a lot of stretches, but the highlight lately has been T.I.M.E.L.O.R.D. !!! He might be the most talented big man defender to come into the league in the past decade, what a great fast leap/jump he’s got....what a find. Luck of the Irish, and I love corned beef and cabbage!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 am

gyso wrote:Before we go off on the poor performance of Jaylen Brown, please understand that he was listed as the following before the game:

Comment: Brown (illness) is questionable for Friday's game against the Hawks.

Jaylen missed the game against the Wizards a couple nights before.  Gordon Hayward also missed a couple games for the same thing (illness).  It is probably something that is going through the locker room.  Jaylen decided at game time to play through it.

Let's give him a game or two to get back to full strength before we start the (as of now) unwarranted trashing of Jaylen Brown.

gyso

Exactly what I was thinking, he just felt might as well get some running in for conditioning to feel better....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Atlanta, which sucks anyway, was without a couple of players, and yet they were able to get a 24 point Celtic lead down to single digits in the 2nd quarter.  We only scored 5 points 5 minutes into the 2nd but rallied to score 25, HOWEVER, they scored 37 points in that quarter.  You go cold, you can't throw the ball in the ocean from the edge of the pier, ok I understand that happens, but you gotta defend!  A 19-0 run that gave them a 37 point quarter?!  To the undermanned Hawks!?

They had 24 fast break points vs 18 for us.  At times invisible transition defense.

Jaylen was 0-5 at the half.  He ended up 2-12.  He "heated up" with a 2-7 2nd half.  If he was too sick to play he should have sat.  He was awful on both ends of the floor.  He had a nice block from behind but otherwise wasn't very effective on defense, just following people over the screens like a love-sick puppy dog.  Sick?  Stay home so you don't infect the rest of the team.  Healthy enough to play?  Play well.  Sorry, it's cold but it's how I feel.  He had two great games after he came back from falling on his tailbone and then this stinker.  2-1.   Let's hope tonight, if he plays again, he goes 3-1 because consistency has been his bugaboo this year.

Morris es en fuego.  The ball is just flowing out of his hands.  6-8 from 3.  He is going inside and outside.  It's going to be hard for Brad to sit him, even when everybody is healthy.

Gordo with 19 off the bench in 18 minutes.  5 assists.  This is what we've been looking for.

Over the past 5 games Marcus Smart has been averaging 5 assists/game and only 1.2TO/game for a 4.2 assist-to-turnover ratio. That's excellent.

A good game for Theis.  6-9 for 18, 2-3 from 3, 7 rebounds and a block.  Although...

There's a new sheriff in town when it comes to patrolling the paint and blocking shots.  The Time Lord with 5 blocks in his first 10 minutes of play.  Al Horford is a pretty good rim protector, underrated in my opinion, but Williams is as close to Rudy Gobert as we'll probably ever get.  Danny doesn't like the nickname "The Time Lord" and, I think, Williams isn't a fan of it either even though he doesn't like being called Bob (so why would he like 'Lob'?), so kiss-ass Scalabrine stops using it.  Pucker up, Scal, and don't forget to wipe your face.  In the end, however, money may talk:

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME DuZpY7YXgAAQpPE
Timex
@timex
Hey #TimeLord @rob_williamsIII and @HebertofRiffs– you’ve inspired us. Let’s talk!

11:30 AM - Dec 14, 2018

POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME DubKyFOWsAEx1B_

Vince Carter still going at 41.  He dunked on Marcus Smart and Smart moved out of the way.  Marcus Smart backed off.  That's respect.

Morris, Tatum, Irving, Theis and Hayward scored 105 points and nobody scored more than Irving's 24 nor less than Theis' 18.  That's balanced scoring and balanced scoring is hard to stop.  

After all the build-up about John Collins and Trae Young they were a combined 4-19, 0-6 from 3.  Unsung Kevin Huerter, on the other hand, was 7-10 and has a nice, quick shot.

Kyrie Irving:
POST GAME ATLANTA - HOME DubThgJX4AA6rG_

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Gordon Hayward says the Celtics have been really connected during their eight-game winning streak.

reply retweet like

IF we beat Detroit tonight our 9 game winning streak will be the longest in the NBA this season.  How's that for good chalkboard material?

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
Kyrie on eight-game winning streak: “We’re not satisfied at all.”

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071101

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:08 pm

On Smart, his shooting is up and down, sometimes goes through good stretches and surprises us, but no question, he’s improved in all areas, very big timely defensive and hustle plays. If you are not a cat quick guard, he is a load that will take it to you the whole game and batter you, make you commit dumb fouls on him. This guy would have been some lethal MMA fighter, he could easily be a LB in the NFL. He’s our Ron Artest....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 pm

We now have the #11 offense (111.8ppg) and the #4 defense (103.8ppg) with the 3rd best MOV of 8.0.  Only Milwaukee and Toronto have a better Margin of Victory and Toronto's is only .1ppg better.  Milwaukee has the #11 defense, it's their #1 offense that's fueling their MOV.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Hawks were smarting after their encounter with Marcus.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next