Terry Rozier says team is “too talented”

3 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier says team is “too talented” Empty Terry Rozier says team is “too talented”

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:28 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/boston-celtics-terry-rozier-says-team-is-too-talented.html

Boston Celtics Terry Rozier says team is “too talented”

Updated Jan 15, 1:06 PM; Posted Jan 15, 1:06 PM

Terry Rozier says team is “too talented” OC7F6NRXDFEQRAKCEB5SPKU2K4
Boston Celtics' Terry Rozier III, left, celebrates with Kyrie Irving, right, during the second half of a preseason NBA basketball game against the Philadelphia 76ers, Friday, Oct. 6, 2017, in Philadelphia. The Celtics won 110-102. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola) (Chris Szagola)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Kyrie Irving has been publicly critical of Boston’s youth many times throughout the first half of the season. Most recently, he called out the inexperience as a contributing factor to the Celtics disappointing loss to the Orlando Magic, saying, in part, “So the things you’re doing, that you’ve done your entire career of being able to coast by in certain situations and you’ve gotten away with your youth and stuff like that, being on a championship ball club, you can’t get away with that. You see the fans going crazy. You see it gets loud. I know from the majority of the fact that we’re better than most teams in this league. It’s just going out and proving it every single night and demanding it and actually showing it.”

Irving has faced a little blowback for the comments, mostly because harping on the team’s youth has been such a common refrain for him. Even though he might have a point, the repetitive nature of the sentiment might be a bit much for the targets of his criticism to hear through the media. That appears to be part of what Jaylen Brown was saying after the loss to Brooklyn.

“We’ve just got to have each other’s backs at the end of the day,” Brown said. “We can’t make comments, we can’t point fingers. We just have to continue to empower each other and have each other’s backs. If we don’t, if we start pointing fingers, everybody’s going to go into their own little shells. We’ve got to continue to play basketball. It starts from the top to the bottom. Not from the bottom to the top but the top to the bottom. We’ve got to continue to empower each other and make the best of this. We have a lot of talent, and we know what we’re capable of doing. We have to go out there and do it. Playing free, playing loose, having fun.”

This particular rough patch is challenging Irving’s unique new role as an NBA superstar: the outright leader on a young team with high expectations. For all that Irving has done, this is new for him.

That’s the focus of a new piece on Yahoo by Vincent Goodwill. In that piece, Terry Rozier, who maybe have been Irving’s prime target in Orlando on Saturday, admitted that Irving might have a point, while adding another wrinkle of his own.

“I don’t think we’ve all been on a team like this,” Rozier told Yahoo. “Young guys who can play, guys who did things in their career, the group that was together last year, then you bring Kyrie and Hayward back, it’s a lot with it.”

When asked if the roster was too talented, Rozier didn’t back down.

“Too talented, yeah. Too talented.”

Think back to two of the most recent “Big 3′s” in the NBA. Boston’s in 2008 worked because, to Kyrie’s point, it combined veterans who had already realized their glory and big paydays, and who joined forces with a singular focus of winning a title. Miami’s Big 3 struggled out of the gate because LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh weren’t ready to fully sacrifice for each other, so it took longer for that core to figure it out.

The Boston Celtics got major contributions from Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and Terry Rozier last season. The expectation on the outside was that each would take their steps forward and be cool with just doing a little more. The reality is that each has his own career considerations in mind as well, which is common for a young player. Former Atlanta Hawks GM Wes Wilcox relayed this telling anecdote on a recent edition of “The Woj Pod”

“I was super fortunate to work for Rick Sund, or with Rick Sund in Atlanta for a number of years and he would always say that every NBA player has natural stages to their career. We have to preface this by saying every always wants to win, but there’s like a natural transition in their career. First they want to establish they belong in the NBA, then they want a defined role, then they want to get paid, then they want accolades, they want All Stars, they want MVP’s, and then it really becomes a focus about legacy and championships. And that’s just the natural evolution of a player.”

Boston’s roster is full of guys looking for defined roles and wanting to get paid. At this point of their careers, this is natural. Rozier got a shoe deal from Puma. Tatum is debuting a new Nike shoe this week. Brown is pushing his own “Juice” clothing line. They all want to become stars in their own right. The biggest challenge for the Celtics has always been getting the youth on the team to push that aside long enough to mesh with the established stars.

The question of too much talent has lingered over this team from the beginning, and it still shows itself for long stretches. The answer for Boston lies in whether everyone on the roster can find a way to get their talent to work together rather than being too much of a good thing.

bob
MY NOTE:  Who do you think Rozier was talking about the team being "too talented"?  Think he was talking about Hayward?  Brown?  Theis?  Baynes?  Morris?  How about Terry Rozier was talking about Terry Rozier?  If he's trying to talk himself off this team he couldn't do a better job than he is doing right now.  I don't think he even wants to wait until the off-season and hit the free agent market and, with a mouth like this, I'm happy to see him go now too.  I would understand Danny biding his time and do a sign-and-trade this summer to get more value back but if Danny traded him for a 3-legged, one-eyed yellow dog on an expiring contract I'd be ok with that too.  At this point I'm thinking Scary Terry is just plain scary, like, locker room cancer scary...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier says team is “too talented” Empty Re: Terry Rozier says team is “too talented”

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 pm

I think he meant too talented to be having all these hiccups.  There's enough talent on this team to go 16-0 for several years.  They will either figure it out or Danny will.  No such thing as being too talented. Being too talented and not bringing home the O'Brien Trophy, that's a problem.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier says team is “too talented” Empty Re: Terry Rozier says team is “too talented”

Post by dboss Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm

It doesn't really matter what terry said. He has had ups and down this year and he wants to be a starter and I believe he can be a starter but he will do that on another team.

There is too much talent on this team at certain positions (1-3) and not enough in our frontcourt (4-5)

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down