Terry Rozier sucks up to David Lee, says he would choose Boston Celtics teammate to build a team around

Go down

Terry Rozier sucks up to David Lee, says he would choose Boston Celtics teammate to build a team around Empty Terry Rozier sucks up to David Lee, says he would choose Boston Celtics teammate to build a team around

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/09/terry_rozier_david_lee_boston.html#incart_river

Terry Rozier sucks up to David Lee, says he would choose Boston Celtics teammate to build a team around

Terry Rozier sucks up to David Lee, says he would choose Boston Celtics teammate to build a team around 18408153-mmmain
FILE: Boston Celtics' Terry Rozier (12) drives against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half of an NBA summer league basketball game Thursday, July 9, 2015, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on September 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Anthony Davis should be the pick.

LeBron James remains basketball's best player, Stephen Curry is the reigning MVP and a healthy Kevin Durant owns the most unstoppable scoring repertoire on the planet. But if you needed to start a team with one player, it should be the stupidly talented 22-year-old who threatens to make New Orleans' string of questionable personnel decisions appear at least mildly intelligent.

Right, Terry Rozier? Who would you choose?

Gotta love the celebration afterward, like Rozier knew he had just struck a perfectly endearing note.

Earlier this week, the guard took part in an entertaining chat with Kyle Draper and the other Boston Celtics rookies on CSNNE. The TV station's website aired two parts of the interview Wednesday night. You can watch them here and here, or read about some highlights below.

NBA spacing different

In college, Rozier played for a Louisville team that really had trouble spreading the court. As talented as the Cardinals were, they featured few shooters or skilled big men. The result was a clogged lane that acted as a barrier to driving.

The NBA game is different, as Rozier saw this summer. Asked for the biggest difference at summer league, he noted the spacing and pace.

"There's a lot more space that you can make things happen," he said, adding, "I like to play with big space. It helped me. That's what I feel. I had a lot of space to work with, so I think it worked to my advantage a little bit."

Mickey pointed to the strength and speed difference as his biggest adjustment. Unlike his two other teammates, Hunter did not play in a power college conference, starring for his father at Georgia State.

"I didn't play against the guys that they played against," Hunter said. "So I was out there like, 'Oh my God.' I think the IQ is the one thing that's different. Everybody out there knows what they're doing, and they've perfected their craft. And I think that was the biggest thing. I had to learn that if you take any play off you'll get exposed. And I think you just have to stay locked in at all times."

Stevens already making impression

The Celtics rookies haven't played a game for head coach Brad Stevens, but have already been struck by his intelligence. Asked for a word association, R.J. Hunter spat back, "Genius."

"Beforehand it was already impressive just being around in the city (of Indianapolis) and seeing what he did with Butler," said Hunter, who has known Stevens since high school. "But now it's even more impressive. The details that he puts in and the IQ that he has for the game is unreal. So I just think being a part of him is special. And he's still a young guy in the coaching business. So I'm excited to be a part of it."

Rozier said the coaching staff has stressed the need to work every day on shooting and pick-and-rolls.

"Just getting better every day," he said. "And to make a comment on Coach Stevens, when I came for my draft workout there was a difference between him and all the other coaches because he's just so interactive. Like (Hunter) said, he's smart. He's very smart. And you can just tell, you can feel when he's in the room. He gives you a lot of breathing room, he lets you be you, but at the same time he's very smart with the things that he does. He just lets you relax. You feel comfortable around him."

Mickey believes contract shows faith

With NBA rules capping how much money first-round picks can earn, Jordan Mickey (the 33rd overall pick) will actually make more than Hunter (the 28th). Mickey inked a four-year, $5-million contract that is believed to be one of the biggest ever handed out to a second-round selection.

"It just showed me that they have faith in me," he said of the deal. "They believe in me, believe in my abilities. I'm just thankful for the opportunity. I'm happy to be here."

Hunter and Rozier both seem to like the situations in Boston, too. The rookies all agreed it's tough to name a specific leader because everyone acts like one.

"After we get done playing, someone's saying something to you to help you out in a way," said Rozier. "And our coaching staff, I feel they're great leaders too. They're there every day interactive with everything. So I feel like we've got a good group. It feels special."

Also special: getting drafted.

Said Hunter, "That night, you get a little bit of everything. But once I sat down and everything slowed down, and the smoke cleared, I realized I was in the perfect situation. And I'm blessed. Like Terry said, a lot of this still doesn't feel kinda real. We're kinda doing so much at the moment that you don't realize what's going on. But we're just working and learning a lot. A lot is getting thrown at us, so a long way to go but we're having fun with it."

bob
MY NOTE:  The video of Rozier saying it is in "vine" format, which this forum does not support.  So if you want to actually see/hear him say it and the response cited above you have to go to the link.

I've already noted many times Rozier's killer crossover. With the extra spacing he's going to get I think we're going to get our Rondo-like penetrator back again, except with a better shot and MUCH better free throw shooting.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down