dboss
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME TORONTO - HOME Empty POST GAME TORONTO - HOME

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Snaps Skid With Thrilling Win Over Raptors

NESN by Adam London on Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:32PM

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics ended their losing streak in style Wednesday night.

After going 0-for-3 on their latest road trip, the Celtics got back in the win column with an exciting 117-108 victory over the Toronto Raptors at TD Garden.

Kyrie Irving turned yet another set of late-game heroics and paced the Celtics with 27 points, while Al Horford wasn’t far behind with 24. Gordon Hayward (18 points) and Jayson Tatum (16 points) also scored in double figures for Boston.

Kawhi Leonard was his usual self with a game-high 33 points, but it proved to be not enough.

With the win, the Celtics improved to 26-18, while the Raptors fell to 33-13.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris
C: Al Horford

EARLY EFFICIENCY
It was an offensive display in the first quarter, which concluded with the Raptors owning a 36-30 lead. Toronto gave Boston all sorts of early trouble in the early goings, grabbing an 18-7 lead thanks to 12 points in the paint within the first five minutes of the contest. But the C’s stayed the course and prevented the visitors from ballooning their advantage.

Irving paced Boston with eight first-quarter points, while Hayward provided a boost off the bench with seven. Toronto’s core four did the bulk of its damage, as Leonard led the way with nine, just ahead of Serge Ibaka, Danny Green and Kyle Lowry, all of whom provided seven. The two sides combined to shoot 59 percent from the field in the opening 12 minutes.

SECOND-QUARTER SURGE
While the opening frame was very much a back-and-forth affair, the second quarter was all Boston. The Celtics shined on both ends of the floor, as they shot at a 62 percent clip, limited the Raptors to just 17 points and took a 64-53 lead into the break.

Save for Leonard’s seven points, the Raptors offensive effectively was non-existent in the second frame. In fact, Boston forced Toronto into 24-second violations on back-to-back possessions just over three minutes into the quarter. But where the Raptors struggled, the Celtics shined.

Hayward was stellar for a second straight quarter, pacing Boston with nine points. The rest of Boston’s bench combined to score 12 points, including Jaylen Brown’s five.

RAPS PUNCH BACK
Third quarters have been problematic for the Celtics throughout the campaign, and that trend continued Wednesday. After growing its lead to as large as 16, Boston allowed Toronto chip away and cut the deficit to as small as two with four minutes left to play in the frame. The C’s didn’t let things get too off the rails, though, as they took an 87-83 lead into the fourth.

It could’ve gotten far uglier for Boston had it not been for Horford. After a quiet five-point showing, the veteran big man erupted for 12 in the third, which served as more than half of the Celtics’ total points in the quarter. Boston collectively shot 35 percent from the field. Ibaka did the heavy lifting for Toronto with 11 points.

DOWN TO THE WIRE
Amid a playoff-like atmosphere, the Celtics and Raptors turned in a thrilling final frame.

Leonard gave Toronto its first lead since the second quarter via a fadeaway jumper with just under eight minutes to play. Save for an Aron Baynes’ game-tying 3-pointer just over a minute later, the Raptors maintained a slim advantage for the next three-plus minutes until Tatum converted from range to give the Celtics a 106-104 lead with three minutes to go. After Green knotted the score with a jumper, it was all Celtics.

Irving provided back-to-back clutch baskets, sinking a step-back jumper followed by a 3-pointer. A pair of Horford baskets and a Tatum runner wrapped up the win for the C’s.

PLAY OF THE GAME
Ice. In. His. Veins.

UP NEXT
The Celtics return to action Friday night when they will host the Memphis Grizzlies. Tip-off from TD Garden is set for 7 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME TORONTO - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME TORONTO - HOME

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 pm

GREAT TEAM WIN WITH GREAT BALL MOVEMENT AND HUSTLE.

CREDIT DUE IRVING FOR LEADING BY EXAMPLE AND BACKING UP HIS PAST REMARKS TO TEAMMATES WITH LEADERSHIP PERFORMANCE!  WAY TO GO.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Celts won those tough possessions. Overall a great team win and an elite performance from Kyrie.

This was a signature win. I hope it launches them on another run.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHat Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Where did Toronto go at the end there... Great D on the ball handler from Marcus. Reminded me of the '80's teams where they would just impose their will at the end. Do it again!

TheHat

TheHat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Finally Al shows up. Gordon too. Both played well.
Marcus Smart once again a mainstay. Jayson good. Jalen defended well but not enough minutes. Fantastic performance overall.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:10 pm

I like just a 9 man rotation. Hope this is a springboard win.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Interesting in the post game Kyrie talked about calling LeBron after one of the recent loss for advice on leading a young team. Was only half listening but will go back and listen fully again.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 pm

A lot of positives in gritty win in a tight game with playoff atmosphere, great to see Hayward and Al have such good strong games, but the game ball has to go to Kyrie, great performance and great in the clutch, he carried us....HoF type of performance as good as any in Celtic history, and that’s saying a fucking lot!!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 am

POST GAME TORONTO - HOME Screen48

And who cares about that Aron Baynes guy - what good is he?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 am

POST GAME TORONTO - HOME Aron-Baynes

our main man is back?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 am

Baynes scored 9 points, 5 RB's; Al 26 and 7 RB's. We got a lot of production from the 5 last night. Didn't see anything of Theis last night. Why not? Actually, better that he plays the 4 when Bamba arrives. LOL.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am

I had a LeBron flashback last night.  Didn't he and most of his teams pull this in and out routine during the regular season in preparation for the playoffs?  No one can argue he didn't know what he was doing as he has this ridiculous streak of 8 Finals appearances and 3 championships.

Now, shift to the Celtics and their record once we get to the finals...17-4, right?  (I believe that is better than pocket Aces!) Much better than LeBron's 3-5.  In other words, when we get to the finals, odds are REALLY in our favor to win it all!  We just need to get to the finals consistently.  I like that result a lot better!  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 am

Hi,
Great W.
It looks like Celtics are pulling Rondo (kind of): play hard at 100%, with great defense against top teams on nationally televised games. I hope they do the same in playoffs but with 110%.
I can't see how Smart is not on All-Defense Team and isn't in DPOY consideration.
Kyrie once again was Kyrie just with a half-dozen of extra assists.
KL really wanted this win - not this time.
GH still has a long road to his former self. I hope he'll get much closer by the playoffs time.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

The away team with 21 free throws, home team with 13? Tommy would be losing his mind. Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 am

We played hard for most of the game, not as much in the 3rd quarter, and good things happened.  Go figure.  Raptor fans will talk about the absence of Valanciunas and CJ Miles, but Moose Monroe and Powell both had good games.  If V and Miles had been healthy and played that means that Monroe and Powell would have played less.  Monroe is only averaging 11.4mpg  and is averaging 5.2ppg.  He played 15 minutes last night and scored 11 and had 9 rebounds.

First, the obvious, when Kyrie Irving is in "god-mode" he is un-freaking-real.  He had 7 turnovers, to go with his 18 assists, but some of those turnovers were him making overly aggressive passes up court on fast breaks.  I'm ok with a couple of those because it incents his teammates to run the floor and it also forces the other team to get back on transition defense where they might otherwise have hung around our end of the court hoping to get a shot off an offensive rebound.  In other words it makes it more likely they are one shot and down on that possession because their shooters, or extra rebounder, are retreating.  I think it was Tommy Heinsohn who said that Cousy would deliberately throw the ball way ahead of Satch to make him run harder all the time.  I'm good with that principle as long as he doesn't get too crazy with it.  What I'm really ok with is that 6 of his 18 assists were in the 4th quarter.  He also had a block of a layup.  What a game by Kyrie!

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 9 hours ago
BOSTON CELTICS WITH GAMES OF 18+ ASSISTS Rajon Rondo (10) Bob Cousy (5) Sherman Douglas (3) Tiny Archibald (3) Dee Brown Kyrie Irving

Morris with another weak offensive game, 2-9, but he played good defense on Kawhi in the 4th.  The other Marcus was trying hard but Kawhi was just too strong for him (think of that!  A player too strong for Marcus Smart to guard.  Damn).  Kawhi bombed away from 3 towards the end.  I think he might have been bothered by Morris' greater length.  

Tatum was 6-16.  That's 37.5% y'all.  He was 3-13 going into the 4th.  As people who are on the Game On! thread know I have a pet peeve with Jayson Tatum never giving up the ball on the break.  If he gets the rebound you should call your bookie and drop some money on him taking it all the way no matter what the defense looks like.   Last night, for 3 quarters, he was an offense killer.  It wasn't just his shooting (not even Marcus Smart shoots like that anymore) it was because of what I said above.  The kid needs to learn how to give up the ball and run.  He runs fast breaks without the ball but not if he touches the ball first.  Then he won't give it up.  To his credit he grabbed 10 rebounds.  That was more valuable than his scoring.

Big Al with the Big game, his biggest in a while.  Season high 24 points on 9-12 and 3-4 from 3.  Mr. Inside and Outside.  7 of his 24 in the 4th.  He's a consummate professional so it's a little inexplicable why he has stunk the last week or so but now comes alive in a big game?  It's unlike him.  This game, however, should put on hold the rumblings about him being past his shelf date.  He can still bring it.

Hayward too.  8-13, 18 points, 2-5 from 3 and 5 assists.  This is the "point forward" type of game Brad, and the rest of us, envisioned him playing for us.  A steal and a block also suggest he's moving to get to a spot without thinking first.  I'm going to say it again:  every time he has a game like this I want to hail his return but then he falls back.  I'm rooting for him, of course, but right now he's looking more like Jeff Green than Gordon Hayward.  He can be the best player on the floor for either team one game and then disappear for the next 3.  IF he gains consistency, and I have NO idea what that will take at this point since his ankle isn't the issue anymore, then we could become very dangerous.  IF.

Ya gotta love Baynesy, ya just gotta.  Breaks his hand, nags the shit out of the trainers to let him play until they do, and then goes out with a heavy wrap on his hand, his fingers all taped up, and makes a big impact.  Some players are larger than their stats and All of Australia is that to us.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Aron Baynes on getting cleared: "I think it was more they were just sick of me asking. I figure the more I keep annoying them, the sooner I’ll be out there."

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Aron Baynes says he was just trying to get the Celtics moving on offense: "These guys can create a lot when you set a good screen, give them half a step."

When Baynes was asked about how his hand felt post-game he said "I feel great.  I'm not boxing out there".  I love Baynes.  He can come over for a Sunday BBQ anytime.  My type of guy.

Jaylen was 2-9 but I liked his aggressiveness and high energy.  Same with Rozier.  They played hard every minute they were in the game.  They are so athletic that when they play hard good things will happen.

Toronto took 25 fgas in the 4th and shot 40% (10-25).  We also took 25 4th quarter fgas but we hit 12 for 48%, 4-8 from 3.  That's championship basketball.

Kawhi is un-freaking-real.  He's a machine on offense and the best man-to-man defender in the league.  Think of how rare that is, how rare it is to be elite on both ends of the court.

Yes, Kyrie, this is the question...
POST GAME TORONTO - HOME DxHWLvmWkAAFtaV

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
The Celtics are 6-3 against the 76ers, Pacers, Bucks and Raptors.

This is the best record of the top 5 teams in the east vs each other.  Maybe we're just built for the playoffs?  That would make the Brooklyn and Miami losses less than footnotes.

Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
Celtics' problem never seems to be the good teams. Rozier: "Maybe we should play the good teams all the time, then."

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071334

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am

Leonard has freakishly huge hands. see above image
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am

Leonard is worth $30+M. Every penny of it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:52 am

mrkleen09 wrote:The away team with 21 free throws, home team with 13?  Tommy would be losing his mind. Smile

I imagine he'd be losing his mind because he understands the cause of the discrepancy. Shooting threes early in the shot clock doesn't result in going to the line. That's just lazy basketball. Take it to the hole will result in more trips to the line.

That may be to much work involved for the modern NBA player to buy into.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Worcester,

So is Kyrie!! (Hayward and Horford to follow very soon!!)

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I had a LeBron flashback last night.  Didn't he and most of his teams pull this in and out routine during the regular season in preparation for the playoffs?  No one can argue he didn't know what he was doing as he has this ridiculous streak of 8 Finals appearances and 3 championships.

Now, shift to the Celtics and their record once we get to the finals...17-4, right?  (I believe that is better than pocket Aces!)  Much better than LeBron's 3-5.  In other words, when we get to the finals, odds are REALLY in our favor to win it all!  We just need to get to the finals consistently.  I like that result a lot better!  

db

Considering at one point we were 11-0 not sure that the Russell era has much to do with the now era.

Times have changed.

Players change teams frequently. Game has moved to a perimeter contest now.

Not overly concerned now other than we need to be healthy. If we can stay healthy I think things will take care of themselves.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Defensive intensity was sky high, especially when compared to what I saw in Miami. Rozier picking up full court was instrumental.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

gyso wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:The away team with 21 free throws, home team with 13?  Tommy would be losing his mind. Smile

I imagine he'd be losing his mind because he understands the cause of the discrepancy.  Shooting threes early in the shot clock doesn't result in going to the line.  That's just lazy basketball.  Take it to the hole will result in more trips to the line.

gyso
I agree with you in general, but Toronto got much the better of the calls in this particular game, several of them headscratchers.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

dboss wrote:Leonard has freakishly huge hands.  see above image
using them here to grab Kyrie's ju----, um , privates?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:27 pm

bobheckler wrote:We played hard for most of the game, not as much in the 3rd quarter, and good things happened.  Go figure.  Raptor fans will talk about the absence of Valanciunas and CJ Miles, but Moose Monroe and Powell both had good games.  If V and Miles had been healthy and played that means that Monroe and Powell would have played less.  Monroe is only averaging 11.4mpg  and is averaging 5.2ppg.  He played 15 minutes last night and scored 11 and had 9 rebounds.

First, the obvious, when Kyrie Irving is in "god-mode" he is un-freaking-real.  He had 7 turnovers, to go with his 18 assists, but some of those turnovers were him making overly aggressive passes up court on fast breaks.  I'm ok with a couple of those because it incents his teammates to run the floor and it also forces the other team to get back on transition defense where they might otherwise have hung around our end of the court hoping to get a shot off an offensive rebound.  In other words it makes it more likely they are one shot and down on that possession because their shooters, or extra rebounder, are retreating.  I think it was Tommy Heinsohn who said that Cousy would deliberately throw the ball way ahead of Satch to make him run harder all the time.  I'm good with that principle as long as he doesn't get too crazy with it.  What I'm really ok with is that 6 of his 18 assists were in the 4th quarter.  He also had a block of a layup.  What a game by Kyrie!

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 9 hours ago
BOSTON CELTICS WITH GAMES OF 18+ ASSISTS Rajon Rondo (10) Bob Cousy (5) Sherman Douglas (3) Tiny Archibald (3) Dee Brown Kyrie Irving

Morris with another weak offensive game, 2-9, but he played good defense on Kawhi in the 4th.  The other Marcus was trying hard but Kawhi was just too strong for him (think of that!  A player too strong for Marcus Smart to guard.  Damn).  Kawhi bombed away from 3 towards the end.  I think he might have been bothered by Morris' greater length.  

Tatum was 6-16.  That's 37.5% y'all.  He was 3-13 going into the 4th.  As people who are on the Game On! thread know I have a pet peeve with Jayson Tatum never giving up the ball on the break.  If he gets the rebound you should call your bookie and drop some money on him taking it all the way no matter what the defense looks like.   Last night, for 3 quarters, he was an offense killer.  It wasn't just his shooting (not even Marcus Smart shoots like that anymore) it was because of what I said above.  The kid needs to learn how to give up the ball and run.  He runs fast breaks without the ball but not if he touches the ball first.  Then he won't give it up.  To his credit he grabbed 10 rebounds.  That was more valuable than his scoring.

Big Al with the Big game, his biggest in a while.  Season high 24 points on 9-12 and 3-4 from 3.  Mr. Inside and Outside.  7 of his 24 in the 4th.  He's a consummate professional so it's a little inexplicable why he has stunk the last week or so but now comes alive in a big game?  It's unlike him.  This game, however, should put on hold the rumblings about him being past his shelf date.  He can still bring it.

Hayward too.  8-13, 18 points, 2-5 from 3 and 5 assists.  This is the "point forward" type of game Brad, and the rest of us, envisioned him playing for us.  A steal and a block also suggest he's moving to get to a spot without thinking first.  I'm going to say it again:  every time he has a game like this I want to hail his return but then he falls back.  I'm rooting for him, of course, but right now he's looking more like Jeff Green than Gordon Hayward.  He can be the best player on the floor for either team one game and then disappear for the next 3.  IF he gains consistency, and I have NO idea what that will take at this point since his ankle isn't the issue anymore, then we could become very dangerous.  IF.

Ya gotta love Baynesy, ya just gotta.  Breaks his hand, nags the shit out of the trainers to let him play until they do, and then goes out with a heavy wrap on his hand, his fingers all taped up, and makes a big impact.  Some players are larger than their stats and All of Australia is that to us.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Aron Baynes on getting cleared: "I think it was more they were just sick of me asking. I figure the more I keep annoying them, the sooner I’ll be out there."

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Aron Baynes says he was just trying to get the Celtics moving on offense: "These guys can create a lot when you set a good screen, give them half a step."

When Baynes was asked about how his hand felt post-game he said "I feel great.  I'm not boxing out there".  I love Baynes.  He can come over for a Sunday BBQ anytime.  My type of guy.

Jaylen was 2-9 but I liked his aggressiveness and high energy.  Same with Rozier.  They played hard every minute they were in the game.  They are so athletic that when they play hard good things will happen.

Toronto took 25 fgas in the 4th and shot 40% (10-25).  We also took 25 4th quarter fgas but we hit 12 for 48%, 4-8 from 3.  That's championship basketball.

Kawhi is un-freaking-real.  He's a machine on offense and the best man-to-man defender in the league.  Think of how rare that is, how rare it is to be elite on both ends of the court.

Yes, Kyrie, this is the question...
POST GAME TORONTO - HOME DxHWLvmWkAAFtaV

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
The Celtics are 6-3 against the 76ers, Pacers, Bucks and Raptors.

This is the best record of the top 5 teams in the east vs each other.  Maybe we're just built for the playoffs?  That would make the Brooklyn and Miami losses less than footnotes.

Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
Celtics' problem never seems to be the good teams. Rozier: "Maybe we should play the good teams all the time, then."

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071334

bob
Great recap, as usual, Bob. A couple of other small observations: Rozier's full court pressure , a/la Avery Bradley had the Prehistorics getting into their offensive sets late and double teams on Leonard were effective down the stretch. I seem to remember most of Kyrie's turnovers coming early on when the Raptors were dominating . It's hard to get back on D when you keep throwing the ball to the other team. I've been hard on Horford lately, but it seems his knee has been more of an issue than was publicly acknowledged. Finally, Baynes 3 pointer may well have saved the game. The sheer chutzpah of a guy who shoots as infrequently as he does throwing that one up is admirable in itself.

jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 pm

gyso wrote:

I imagine he'd be losing his mind because he understands the cause of the discrepancy.  Shooting threes early in the shot clock doesn't result in going to the line.  That's just lazy basketball.  Take it to the hole will result in more trips to the line.

gyso

That might normally be the case, but actually last night - this summation is false. Very poorly officiated game.

The Celtics had 92 FGA last night
30 were 3 pointers
62 were 2 pointers

The Raptors also had 92 FGA
29 were 3 pointers
63 were 2 pointers

So the Celtics were not bombing away from 3 point land all night while the Raptors took it to the hole, and the shot chart shows this. The Celtics took the ball to the hoop a lot as well, with very few calls. Tatum in particular, doesnt get anywhere near the amount of calls he should.

POST GAME TORONTO - HOME Screen49

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next