Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks

+2
kdp59
6 posters

Go down

Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks Empty Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks

WEEI John Tomase

The NBA buyout market should kick into gear after Thursday's trade deadline, and reported player of interest for the Celtics is Knicks big man Enes Kanter.

According to rival executives cited by ESPN, the Celtics are expected to make a play for the Turkish center, who is averaging 14 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in only 25 minutes a night. While he'd help address a deficiency in the rebounding department and bring an inside presence to the second unit, Kanter is also considered a woeful defender, which seemingly wouldn't make him a great fit in Boston.

Then again, the Celtics were OK with adding the defensively challenged Greg Monroe last year, and he ended up averaging 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds a game in limited minutes before being relegated to mostly garbage time and DNPs in the playoffs. At this stage in his career, the 26-year-old Kanter would represent an upgrade on that production.

The 6-11, 250-pounder was the third overall pick in the 2011 draft by the Jazz. He blossomed after joining the Thunder as part of a three-team deal at the 2015 trade deadline, but has seen his playing time decrease with the rebuilding Knicks.

"Each day I spend in the NBA is a blessing and I look forward to my next adventure," Kanter posted on Twitter after his release. " As grateful as I am (to the Knicks), I am also excited to continue playing basketball and showcasing that I can be one of the most dominant forces in the paint. New York will always have a special place in my heart and I look forward to returning here and playing in front of these amazing fans again."

Kanter is perhaps best known for being considered an enemy of the state in Turkey, where authoritarian president RecepTayyip Erdogan has cracked down on dissent. Kanter is a vocal critic of the regime, and refused to travel with the Knicks to London earlier this season for fear that he could be assassinated.

Back to top Go down

Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks Empty Re: Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks

Post by kdp59 Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 am

I still think Gortat may be a better rental for the rest of this season than Kanter.

even at 34 Gortat is a much better defender, while providing rebounding as toughness inside. Which means he could actually play in games come playoff time, while Kanters defense would likely turn him into Greg Monroe then.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks Empty Re: Celtics expected to show interest in Turkish big man Enes Kanter after release by Knicks

Post by gyso Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 pm

kdp59 wrote:I still think Gortat may be a better rental for the rest of this season than Kanter.

even at 34 Gortat is a much better defender, while providing rebounding as toughness inside. Which means he could actually play in games come playoff time, while Kanters defense would likely turn him into Greg Monroe then.

I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

kdp59 wrote:I still think Gortat may be a better rental for the rest of this season than Kanter.

Hey kdp59 guess who has the best defensive rating between Gortat, Kanter and Monroe?

I am not going to keep you in suspense. Monroe has 104.5 defensive rating. Gortat is 111.4 and Kanter is 113.4

This is why I pay little attention to defensive ratings.

Monroe is slower than a 3 toed sloth. He is only 28 years old but looks and moves like a man twice his age.

Gortat will be 35 on February 17 and he plays like a 35 year old center. There is not much left there.

Kanter is 26 years old and turns 27 in March. You can make a case to start him in a game (s) but I cannot see where either Monroe or Gortat can start for you. His scoring 14 PPG and rebounding 10.5 PG especially on the offensive glass (3.9 per game) makes him a better option in my opinion than the other guys. If DJ was in the mix I would love to see him. I do not think that the Knicks are going to buy him put.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Have people watched Gortat play this year?
He is on fumes and does not deserve to be on an NBA roster, based on his play.
Harrell and Marjonovic were way more productive than Gortat for the Clippers.
Jordan should be the #1 big man to sign if he is bought out.
Then I would definitely go with Kanter.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Agreed TJ. Jordan first, then Kanter. BTW, congrats on a superb team effort by the Lakers. They deserved the win.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down