sinus007
mrkleen09
dbrown4
bobheckler
tjmakz
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps Empty New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
1m1 minute ago
More
New Orleans has parted ways with GM Dell Demps, league sources tell ESPN.

Wow, what a mess that organization is.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps Empty Re: New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 pm

They have screwed up just about everything.

They didn't resign Boogie.
They let Rondo go.
They copped an attitude with how Rich Paul and Magic handled the AD offers. Were they heavy-handed by going public? Yeah, but business is business.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps Empty Re: New Orleans has parted ways with Dell Demps

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Magic is next! He better hope Jeannie likes him! They're going to wait for the summer when they go back with the same 5 proposals that didn't work the first time. It really doesn't matter. Magic has no business in the front office. That was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt at the trade deadline...bidding against themselves, 5 proposals, etc.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Good news for Magic is he is likable. He's Magic! He probably can and will talk Jeannie out of cutting him loose. But we'll circle around on this during the summer and see if he's still there. More good news, my predicting ability record SUCKS!

db

P.S. Now what will cut Magic is if BOS does wind up with AD in the summer. He may walk himself. The start of Jerry West Syndrome...
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm

There was an effort. "next" and LAL was involved with the NOP deal/proposal. That has been established. That's a reasonable, inferred reference to the topic of the thread. I would have said it about any team that proposed the way the LAL did. Very unconventional, desperate almost pedestrian way to negotiate, that's all I'm saying. They got what one would expect from that approach...nothing. Heck, I'd let Danny have it if he came to the table that way. I don't hate the Lakers. Hate is a wasted emotion. Nothing is ever achieved with it. I just don't want them to win in any format, on the court, off the court, in the front office, anywhere. Especially when Boston is involved and we all know they are with AD.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:55 pm

tjmakz wrote:Boston is a worse team this year than last year and they have poor team chemistry.

Wishful thinking.  You tell me one team in the NBA that wants to play the Celtics in a 7 game series?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Just to be clear and I believe it is, that was not my quote about Boston. I know what was meant mrkleen. I have to be careful on this current thread as I have accidentally whacked the hornet's nest!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

OK. It corrected itself! My bad!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Looking back, tj, I probably could have left the exclamation points out. Comment was made and intended in all seriousness and not in a joking matter. Just a point of emphasis. I was not thinking. My bad.

db

P.S. Trivia Question to all...Who originally said, "My Bad" and why?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Boston is a worse team this year than last year and they have poor team chemistry.

Wishful thinking.  You tell me one team in the NBA that wants to play the Celtics in a 7 game series?

Or Philly, or Milwaukee or Toronto.
I would bet money that Boston won't get to game 7 of the ECF like they did last year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 pm

tjmakz wrote:
I would bet money that Boston won't get to game 7 of the ECF like they did last year.

Hi,
Interesting. Bos can get into finals after 4-2 win in ECF. Is it possible?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:30 pm

tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:

They will make a deeper run than the Lakers.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:

They will make a deeper run than the Lakers.

Agree 100%.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:03 pm

TJ I am not picking on you but the record needs to be corrected.

The Celtics have had chemistry issues.  That is true.  The Celtics are not a worse team this year as compared to last year.  Record wise that may be true but records taken as simply a statistic do not measure how good a team is.

TJ the Celtics have as good of a chance to get to the ECF and win in 6 games  They may not need a game 7.  lol... I would not dismiss their chances.

Magic has his share of success as well as his failures.  I cannot blame him for not being able to make a trade for Leonard.  Indy however was a different situation.  Pop was not making a deal with LAL.  Magic should have nipped the AD crap in the bud.  He knew all the tomfoolery that was going on but him and Rich Paul and Lebron tried to play NOLA and in the end they are the ones who got played.  Magic has done a good job  clearing CAP space so give him credit for that  but he has done an average to below average job drafting players and making trades.  He is still a novice while Danny Ainge is a master.  I do not think he will be fired though.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

First and foremost. Gyso is not thin skinned I say that with knowledge of the person who I have been on line with for many years and does a great job holding things in their proper place

TJ we all know and appreciate that you are a Laker fan. You have to remember one thing, this is a Celtic forum, where thoughts about how other Celtic fans view what is going on. No need to go any further than that, listen, my Mom was a die hard Celtic fan for years and years. She passed away 2 years ago. When I got up to give her eulogy, I, of course, had to mention her love of the Green. BUT, I also had to admit to a church full of people who knew how much I loved the Celtics, that her favorite player of all time was........Jerry West.
The church filled with laughter when I choked on my words!!!!
Anyway, that fiasco that went on at the deadline was not just Magic's doing, that GM from NO was so afraid to make the wrong move that he made everyone look bad. Now there is a rumor out there on ESPN that that idiot LaVar Ball is being considered for a replacement for Walton. This is a mess. If they don't get things under control there, they will make the storied Lakers a laughing stock of the league.

One last thing.....correct those other teams in the East did improve their them, BUT, WE HAVE AN ACE IN THE HOLE......GORDON HAYWARD IS COMING ON STRONG AND WILL BE BETTER THAN ANY OF THOSE OTHER PLAYERS!! So, this Celtic fan is putting out the olive branch to our Laker fan here. Let's move on
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:
Boston is a worse team this year than last year and they have poor team chemistry.

Not sure that's true. Maybe our record is not quite as good as it was last year, but our point differential is actually much better. this year. The Celtics are currently third in the league in point differential. I believe point differential is one of, if not the best, predictors for playoff success. I know odds-makers give this value a heavy weight when determining odds. Last year the Celtics were 7th in point differential. Even using SRS (simple rating system), which is essentially point differential corrected for strength of schedule, the Celtics are 3rd this year and 7th last year. This suggests that this year's Celtics are actually better than last year's Celtics.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:First and foremost. Gyso is not thin skinned  I say that with knowledge of the person who I have been on line with for many years and does a great job holding things in their proper place

TJ  we all know and appreciate that you are a Laker fan. You have to remember one thing, this is a Celtic forum, where thoughts about how other Celtic fans view what is going on. No need to go any further than that, listen, my Mom was a die hard Celtic fan for years and years. She passed away 2 years ago. When I got up to give her eulogy, I, of course, had to mention her love of the Green. BUT, I also had to admit to a church full of people who knew how much I loved the Celtics, that her favorite player of all time was........Jerry West.
The church filled with laughter when I choked on my words!!!!
Anyway, that fiasco that went on at the deadline was not just Magic's doing, that GM from NO was so afraid to make the wrong move that he made everyone look bad.  Now there is a rumor out there on ESPN that that idiot LaVar Ball is being considered for a replacement for Walton.  This is a mess.  If they don't get things under control there, they will make the storied Lakers a laughing stock  of the league.

One last thing.....correct those other teams in the East did improve their them, BUT, WE HAVE AN ACE IN THE HOLE......GORDON HAYWARD IS COMING ON STRONG AND WILL BE BETTER THAN ANY OF THOSE OTHER PLAYERS!!  So, this Celtic fan is putting out the olive branch to our Laker fan here. Let's move on

Rosalie,

If you heard a rumor that Lavar Ball could be a replacement for Luke Walton it was either an obvious joke or you read it on a click bail website.
There's a much better chance of Austin Ainge being the next Lakers coach than Lavar Ball.
Lavar and the Lakers are not on speaking terms.

We will have to see about Hayward. He has had a couple of really impressive games in a row.
Overall, he has had more bad then good games this season. But, you could be right that he's starting to come on after a slow start.
The point was calling out Magic over the trade deadline when there was not much else he could have done or could have handled it differently.
When a team refuses to trade a player to your team, you can't do anything about it. Just move on.
Ainge was not aggressive this trade deadline when others were.
Time will tell if that was good or bad for Boston.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
Boston is a worse team this year than last year and they have poor team chemistry.

Not sure that's true. Maybe our record is not quite as good as it was last year, but our point differential is actually much better. this year. The Celtics are currently third in the league in point differential. I believe point differential is one of, if not the best, predictors for playoff success. I know odds-makers give this value a heavy weight when determining odds. Last year the Celtics were 7th in point differential. Even using SRS (simple rating system), which is essentially point differential corrected for strength of schedule, the Celtics are 3rd this year and 7th last year. This suggests that this year's Celtics are actually better than last year's Celtics.

Boston has had many blow out wins this season which raises their point differential.
The important stats are their record against teams .500 or better which is 11-12 and their record in games decided by 3 point or less, which is 3-4.
Boston will win less games this year than last year and had many more injuries last year.
I'm not sure how Boston can be viewed as being better than last year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 pm

tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Boston has had many blow out wins this season which raises their point differential.
The important stats are their record against teams .500 or better which is 11-12 and their record in games decided by 3 point or less, which is 3-4.
Boston will win less games this year than last year and had many more injuries last year.

There are caveats to every stat. Over the history of the NBA, SRS has proven one of the best indicators of post-season success. That is a lot of time and a lot of data. Note also that Celtics are 3rd is SRS, which is point differential adjusted for strength of schedule. 

There are many reasons how they can have a worse record and be a better team. For one thing, the east is much stronger this year. Second, they clearly had some issues at the beginning of the season. Additionally, last year, the Celtics won an absurd number of close games. I would love to entirely credit Brad's out of time out genius and the players' clutch genes, but it is also likely partly a statistical anomaly, and this year is just regression to the mean. Finally, and least scientifically of all, my eyes tell me this years' team is better; when they are clicking, they are on GSW's level.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

There are caveats to every stat. Over the history of the NBA, SRS has proven one of the best indicators of post-season success. That is a lot of time and a lot of data. Note also that Celtics are 3rd is SRS, which is point differential adjusted for strength of schedule. 

There are many reasons how they can have a worse record and be a better team. For one thing, the east is much stronger this year. Second, they clearly had some issues at the beginning of the season. Additionally, last year, the Celtics won an absurd number of close games. I would love to entirely credit Brad's out of time out genius and the players' clutch genes, but it is also likely partly a statistical anomaly, and this year is just regression to the mean. Finally, and least scientifically of all, my eyes tell me this years' team is better; when they are clicking, they are on GSW's level.

The East is actually weaker this year than last year. The teams in the East have a .477 winning percentage compared to .490 last year.
Boston is great when they are clicking. They just don’t do it as often as they did last year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 am

in 2017-18 the Celts started out 18-2. The 2018-19 Celts started out 10-10. After 58 games last year the Celts were 41-17: after their 20th game their w-l record was 23-15.
After 58 games this year the Celts record is 37-21; after their 20th game their record has been 27-11.

Yes, the Celts started better last year. This year's team is finishing better. Gordon is much better than last year for obvious reasons; so is Marcus Morris; so is Kyrie; so is Theis; so is Marcus Smart - much better; so is Wanamaker than the tiny pg he replaced; Semi is playing better than last year; Aron was too before he got hurt. Al is about the same. Jaylen and Jayson had taken a little dip but have rebounded. Terry is worse.

The Celts are now a better team than last year's Celts at this point in the season. Last year's team finished the regular season 14-10 for a total record of 55-27. Will this year's team close out better than 14-10? I expect they will. They may not go 18-6 to match last year's 55 win total, but they are a better team and better poised to fare better in the playoffs - EXCEPT for the indisputable fact that the East is stronger than last year at the top. Milwaukee, Toronto, Indy, and Philly are all better teams than they were last year. Cleveland and the Knicks have dragged down the % of wins in the East. Who cares about those two teams? I predict the Celts will win the ECF this year despite their slower start and their EC playoff opponents being tougher.

I also predict Lavar Ball will never gain employment with the Lakers at any level.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 am

I thought this thread started on Del Demps?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:45 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I thought this thread started on Del Demps?

Cow,

If we stayed on topic on a thread, it may be the first time in the history of this board that we did. Even on the Game On! threads we tend to wander off topic. I remember in one of the last ones, we started to list our most hated players, current and all time. That had nothing to do with the game, but we sure enjoyed the interplay.

Likewise, if we didn't have multiple threads with the same topic, I would be surprised. How many threads do we have on Anthony Davis? Gordon Hayward? Kyrie Irving? The trade deadline? The draft? The list goes on and on.

With that being said, we can always merge threads on request, if the person who started the second thread requests it.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 am

I know gyso, my weak attempt at humor Lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:51 am

that was my fault on the most hated players!!!!! I do have a tendency to express how I feel about a certain player who just enters a game, and that one took off.

It was quite interesting and amusing to see how many players came up though, wasn't it????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next