Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad

5 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad Empty Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyrie-irvings-vegan-venture-celtics-201401974.html

Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad

Darren Hartwell, NBC Sports Boston
3 hours ago

Kyrie Irving may have occasional beef with his Boston Celtics teammates, but he's sworn it out of his diet.

The Boston Celtics guard is starring in a new ad campaign for Beyond Meat, a health food company that produces plant-based meat substitutes. The company's investors include several notable current and former athletes, including Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Paul, DeAndre Hopkins, Victor Oladipo, Lindsey Vonn, DeAndre Jordan and Harrison Barnes.

But Irving is the face of the company's digital campaign, starring in a one-minute ad for Beyond Meat that launched Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/BeyondMeat/status/1098260935012012037
Beyond Meat
✔️
@BeyondMeat
All-Star point guard @KyrieIrving is kicking off our new #GoBeyond campaign which spotlights the spirit & drive needed to reach the unattainable, the same spirit that propels our mission to perfectly build meat directly from plants.

Learn more here: https://bit.ly/2GTsKaP

8:39 AM - Feb 20, 2019

Irving admitted at the beginning of the 2017-18 season he had switched to a vegan diet that made his body feel "amazing." In a recent interview with The Los Angeles Times' LZ Granderson, Irving said Beyond Meats started sending him samples after he went public with his diet switch.

"I was noticing that I wasn't able to recover as fast after games and workouts," Irving told Granderson. "I did a lot of research and learned that my diet could be a factor.

"It was good timing as I was struggling to find quality plant-based foods that still had a lot of flavor."

The 26-year-old apparently was sold on the product and is now spreading the gospel: He often rocks a hat featuring Beyond Meat's caped steer logo during pre- and postgame interviews.

Now, Irving is the centerpiece of Beyond Meat's "Go Beyond" campaign, the company's first substantial ad campaign since it launched in 2009, per AdAge.

Celtics fans may prefer Irving talks in commercials instead of on ESPN; the All-Star guard gave a candid assessment of the Celtics' chemistry issues in an interview with Rachel Nichols that ran Wednesday.

Kyrie Irving discusses difficulties of leading a young team and his phone conversation with former teammate LeBron James. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
From explicit remarks about Thanksgiving to once considering himself a flat-earther and then apologizing for his comments, the latest news in the Kyrie Irving saga has been one that dates back a few years — his relationship with former Cleveland Cavaliers teammate LeBron James.

It was reported earlier in the year that Irving made a phone call to James apologizing in hindsight for his actions, which included a trade request, back when the two were teammates.

When questioned by the media about the phone call over All-Star weekend, Irving responded with “That’s none of your business.”

But Irving sat down with ESPN’s Rachel Nichols for an interview that aired Wednesday morning where Irving opened up about a few topics that have been of hot debate recently, including the struggles of being a team leader, working with a young core group of players and the infamous phone call to LeBron.

“Well, I think that, you know, it takes a very, very strong individual to replay a lot of the experiences that you’ve had,” Irving said of the call. “A lot of anger that you’ve had built up, where you didn’t address the situation and you allowed it to fester. And then it was just combustion and then you realize, ‘Hey, I didn’t have to deal with that the same way I dealt with that.'”

“But for me, it’s just … apologizing, yeah, that was a step for me, just to move forward in my life,” Irving said.

Irving’s future, which he was certain was still with the Celtics back when the NBA season began in October, seems to be in question now. During his sit-down with Nichols, he expressed frustration with the young Celtics team, something that is probably a familiar scene to him back in his days playing alongside LeBron.

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room who feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving said. “And that’s OK, but there’s a maturing that you have to have.”

Irving also doesn’t believe he is receiving adequate playing time compared to other Celtics players.

“I initially didn’t play the minutes I wanted to play,” Irving said. “I’m 26 years old, heading into my prime, like, why do I have to wait for anybody?”

Irving will be eligible to opt out of his contract with the Celtics on July 1.

As for James, he and Irving are on good terms, with James saying he “always thought he was special.”

“It takes a real man and a real person to be able to understand who they are,” James said of Irving. “To be able call or do anything and be able to see their wrongdoings, or believe they had some wrongdoing, and then be able to come to grips with that and either apologize or say that, ‘At that point in time, I thought I was ready for something, but I really wasn’t.’ ”

bob
MY NOTE: Jaylen Brown is a vegetarian. He says the only thing that is stopping him from going full vegan is ice cream.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad Empty Re: Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:37 pm

No bacon? No way!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad Empty Re: Kyrie Irving's vegan venture: Celtics star featured in Beyond Meat ad

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Michael Jordan’s pregame meal was a steak and baked potato, protein is good for you....but wtf do I know?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:59 pm

With Wade Boggs, it was all about the chicken. If he were to play now, I imagine Wade would opt into being a vegan.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Ray Allen, whom as we all know was a fanatic for routine, had a boneless, skinless roasted chicken breast for a pre-game meal.  The last time Ray had a hamburger he was a 19 year old sophomore at UConn.  He also had 5% body fat, had the best motor since Havlicek and played until he one of the oldest players in the league.  And he didn't retire because of injuries.

bob

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:41 am

Fock that I’ll eat a big rib eye steak....with a perfect baked potato and butter and sour cream and cayenne pepper!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:38 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Fock that I’ll eat a big rib eye steak....with a perfect baked potato and butter and sour cream and cayenne pepper!!

last night I had 2 new York strips for dinner. nothing else. Marinated for 24 hrs. unreal rain storm with lighting added kept me from the gril so I pulled out great grandma's cast iron skillet and went to town. of course I'm also about 60 lbs overweight these days too so theres that.

Edited: My wife is wanders over the lines of vegan/ vegetarian but usually comes back to some fish, a bit of Honey and eggs. She claims she is always missing some nutrient or another. I feel bad for her, our fridge is full of fake hamburgers, fake hotdogs ect… all that time in her youth she is wasting eating healthy and calculating what new vitamin she needs I think she will regret on the back end when she's 110 and everyone she ever knew died 2 generations earlier. Rolling Eyes
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Matty,

People often forget that particular downside when eating healthy. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Nice Matty, no creamed spinach?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down