Matty
gacracker
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Six Celtics on All-Star Ballot Empty Six Celtics on All-Star Ballot

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk and Sheed.

I can't figure out how to do it, but I believe you can vote without having to go the games. Let's show some love and stuff the ballot boxes for Rondo and Perk!!

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Six Celtics on All-Star Ballot Empty Re: Six Celtics on All-Star Ballot

Post by gacracker Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:14 pm

bobheckler wrote:Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk and Sheed.

I can't figure out how to do it, but I believe you can vote without having to go the games. Let's show some love and stuff the ballot boxes for Rondo and Perk!!

bob

Actually you can vote without even knowing who the players are. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Been known to happen.

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:46 pm

nba website

https://audience.nba.com/services/msib/flow/all_star_ballot?url=null&src=eng&mcode=null&cid=null

i think u gotta sign up first to vote

i goofed up and only voted for Paul and Kevin...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Matty wrote:nba website

https://audience.nba.com/services/msib/flow/all_star_ballot?url=null&src=eng&mcode=null&cid=null

i think u gotta sign up first to vote

i goofed up and only voted for Paul and Kevin...

Cheryl...ahhh Hooter...no...Matty, I mean Matty,

Damn that picture keeps getting me confused. But I like it!

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:44 am

Matty,

I just voted. You do have to sign up. When I logged back in to see if I could change my selection, it said,

"You can only vote once within a 24 hour period."

That means we can vote once a day, every day.

Vote early, vote often

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm

I voted!! and I will try to everyday to try and get Rondo and Perk the credit they deserve (KG, Ray and PP will get credit on their own, but I voted for them too).

Boston Celtics!! Straight Ticket!!

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I can't help myself. Sigh...

I know the NBA all-star team is just a popularity contest, but it would be nice if they'd have some pretense that being on the ballot somehow correlates to your level of play. How can you tell after two weeks who's playing like an all-star? How can you include Rashard Lewis, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, and Blake Griffin, none of whom have played a single minute this season? How can you include these guys as nominees for West center:

Andris Biedrins, 6.0 pts, 7.3 reb, 1,2 blk
Marcus Camby, 9.3 pts, 9.9 reb, 2.6 blk
Antonio McDyess, 6.2 pts, 4.6 reb, 1.2 blk
Greg Oden, 9.1 pts, 8.4 reb, 1.3 blk

And not include this guy:

Chris Kaman, 21.9 pts, 9.4 reb, 1.5 blk

The only West centers with comparable stats to Kaman are Andrew Bynum (20.0 pts, 10.6 reb, 1.5 blk), Mark Gasol (16.0 pts, 11.4 reb, 1.1 blk), and Amare Stoudemire (19.0 pts, 8.5 reb, 1.5 blk). I also know your value as a player isn't always about stats (the Russell vs. Chamberlain argument), but geez, I don't think any knowledgeable observer can say Kaman isn't playing at an all-star level. And you can't say he got left off because he's a Clipper because they included Camby.

In the East, Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, and Brad Miller have no business being on the ballot.

Last year in the East, Dwight Howard was the only center on the roster. If they have two centers this year, one will be Howard, and I'll be shocked if the other isn't Shaq, Perkins, or Rasheed. Yet there are some fine young centers who are playing as well or better than any of those three (Brook Lopez, Andrea Bargnani, and Al Horford, maybe even Andrew Bogut). Even Jermaine O'Neal is worthy of consideration because his play this year is a big reason why the Heat are much improved.

It almost seems like more of an honor to be a coaches' pick, but that is probably more politics than figuring out who's truly deserving.

I guess I'm just grumpy this morning. Sorry. But now it's "vote early and often" for your team's guy, and you need to because you know darn well that's what other teams' fans are doing. I guess I wouldn't mind except that being an all-star should mean something.

Outside (earning my name today)
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Outside wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper, but I can't help myself. Sigh...

I know the NBA all-star team is just a popularity contest, but it would be nice if they'd have some pretense that being on the ballot somehow correlates to your level of play. How can you tell after two weeks who's playing like an all-star? How can you include Rashard Lewis, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, and Blake Griffin, none of whom have played a single minute this season? How can you include these guys as nominees for West center:

Andris Biedrins, 6.0 pts, 7.3 reb, 1,2 blk
Marcus Camby, 9.3 pts, 9.9 reb, 2.6 blk
Antonio McDyess, 6.2 pts, 4.6 reb, 1.2 blk
Greg Oden, 9.1 pts, 8.4 reb, 1.3 blk

And not include this guy:

Chris Kaman, 21.9 pts, 9.4 reb, 1.5 blk

The only West centers with comparable stats to Kaman are Andrew Bynum (20.0 pts, 10.6 reb, 1.5 blk), Mark Gasol (16.0 pts, 11.4 reb, 1.1 blk), and Amare Stoudemire (19.0 pts, 8.5 reb, 1.5 blk). I also know your value as a player isn't always about stats (the Russell vs. Chamberlain argument), but geez, I don't think any knowledgeable observer can say Kaman isn't playing at an all-star level. And you can't say he got left off because he's a Clipper because they included Camby.

In the East, Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, and Brad Miller have no business being on the ballot.

Last year in the East, Dwight Howard was the only center on the roster. If they have two centers this year, one will be Howard, and I'll be shocked if the other isn't Shaq, Perkins, or Rasheed. Yet there are some fine young centers who are playing as well or better than any of those three (Brook Lopez, Andrea Bargnani, and Al Horford, maybe even Andrew Bogut). Even Jermaine O'Neal is worthy of consideration because his play this year is a big reason why the Heat are much improved.

It almost seems like more of an honor to be a coaches' pick, but that is probably more politics than figuring out who's truly deserving.

I guess I'm just grumpy this morning. Sorry. But now it's "vote early and often" for your team's guy, and you need to because you know darn well that's what other teams' fans are doing. I guess I wouldn't mind except that being an all-star should mean something.

Outside (earning my name today)

Outside,

I agree and your plaint is a perennial burr under my saddle. In fact, I never watch the all-star because it's all schoolyard one-on-one stuff and not much team stuff.

What tells me there's something really rotten in Denmark (just a phrase) is that it's clear that the players on the ballot the marketing stars of the league and not the players that deserve to be there based upon their performance. I can understand if a player isn't selected, most fans are homies who will vote for their players, it's the fact that this ballot is assembled BY THE LEAGUE and they aren't paying attention.

In the league's defense, all I can say is "if Pau Gasol never plays a game this year, he won't be selected". Cold comfort that a system as wacked as this will be self-correcting. Doesn't do much for Kaman, either.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:13 pm

In no way is my response connected to "grumpyness" or "it was better back then"----but I hate everything about the process--don't care about it-don't partcipate.This means every sport--it's absurd.
I remember being in my seat at Fenway back in 76 or so and at the end of the 3rd or 4th inning ushers would hand out ballots and everyone was going all-sox.god forbid that you might think it over and pick George Brett or Thurman Munson.It was at that moment I realized it was just a waste of time.
Why on earth would I pick 6 Celtic players?

DJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

DJ wrote:Why on earth would I pick 6 Celtic players?

Thanks guys for giving credence to my contrary point of view. On the flip side, given the system as it is, I can't blame anyone for voting for all six Celtics. You're fans of the team, and I would hope you think each of them is deserving in some fashion. I wish the system was different, but fan voting is the way it is. Don't let my little rant dampen your pride for having six guys on the ballot.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Me too--vote them all in.Just my childish l'il boycott......don't take offense at my position.It's all good.

DJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 am

bobheckler wrote:I voted!! and I will try to everyday to try and get Rondo and Perk the credit they deserve (KG, Ray and PP will get credit on their own, but I voted for them too).

Boston Celtics!! Straight Ticket!!

bob

bob,

They really mean it when they say 24 hours. I crossed over to the West side and voted for Big Al. I was looking for ex-Celtic players who are eligible for votes and there wasn't many. I saw Billups (sp?) there and voted for him as well.

Only 66 days left to vote.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:08 am

While we love our Celts, we need to keep our eyes on the prize. A trip to the All Star game contributed to KG's demise last year. The season is long and grueling so a rest during the All Star weekend would be much more beneficial to our players tham playing in a meaningless game which is just a showcase for offense & dunks!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:20 am

Remember the '70's when the coaches did the voting? There were years when four Celtics--Hondo, Cowens, JoJo and Silas were all-stars.

And the coach was usually Heienshon. In crunch time, Tommy would just play his starters.

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:38 am

I used to love seeing 3 Celtics and 2 Knicks in those 70's games at crunch time,Cowens,Debusheere,Hondo,Clyde Frazier and JoJo.....JoJo White had 7 all star appearences and was MVP of 76 Finals,can't believe hes not in HoF and Bill Bradley got in......just sayin

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I used to love seeing 3 Celtics and 2 Knicks in those 70's games at crunch time,Cowens,Debusheere,Hondo,Clyde Frazier and JoJo.....JoJo White had 7 all star appearences and was MVP of 76 Finals,can't believe hes not in HoF and Bill Bradley got in......just sayin

Maybe JoJo needs to run for the senate!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Whatever JO JO runs for, few could run as long and as tirelessly as he could. Only time i ever saw hime remotely fatigued was the triple OT game in '76 vs. Phoenix in the play offs.-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down