+5
dboss
worcester
dbrown4
NYCelt
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls Empty Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 am

Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls

NESN by Lauren Campbell on Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 11:54PM

What is going on with the Boston Celtics?

That’s been the million-dollar question all season, as Boston has struggled against some of the league’s worst teams this season. That trend continued when the C’s suffered an ugly 126-116 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Saturday at United Center. Boston has yet to win since coming off its All-Star break.

The Green, understandably, has high expectations to reach the NBA Finals, but it’s going to be a long, hard road if the team continues to struggle. If you ask Marcus Smart, though, he thinks he knows the reason behind why his team is having trouble winning.

It’s certainly worrisome hearing one of the fiercest guys on the team say this, but he certainly has a point. Boston blew a 28-point lead against the Los Angeles Clippers on Feb. 9, and have lost to the Phoenix Suns earlier this season.

The Celtics’ season has just 22 games left and it’s not about to get easier with a matchup against the Toronto Raptors set for Tuesday, so Boston will need to find its “toughness” and “will to fight” rather quickly.

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls Empty Re: Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Good for Marcus.

This guy is a throwback to past Celtic fan favorites and their tough as nails attitude. He belongs in Boston and is the unquestioned leader of the team at this time.

This is still a team that can make a lot of noise in the post-season, and Smart could be the guy to jack them up to the level they need.

Whatever happens in the post-season and subsequent offseason, I make Smart and Tatum my only two 'must keep' players on the team.

EDIT; And this is the way you do it, too. You call out the whole team, not just a few. You don't say something like "the young guys need to learn..."
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls Empty Re: Marcus Smart Calls Out Celtics’ ‘Will To Fight’ After Ugly Loss To Bulls

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:31 pm

NYCelt wrote:Good for Marcus.

This guy is a throwback to past Celtic fan favorites and their tough as nails attitude. He belongs in Boston and is the unquestioned leader of the team at this time.

This is still a team that can make a lot of noise in the post-season, and Smart could be the guy to jack them up to the level they need.

Whatever happens in the post-season and subsequent offseason, I make Smart and Tatum my only two 'must keep' players on the team.

EDIT; And this is the way you do it, too. You call out the whole team, not just a few. You don't say something like "the young guys need to learn..."

I AGREE 110% ON SMART AND OLD TIME CELTIC LEADERS. HE LETS IT ALL OUT ON THE COURT AND TAKES NOTHING WHEN HE WALKS OFF!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

BTW, Marcus gave us the chance to win the Bucks game tying up Giannis with seconds left. Nice!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 am

Aron Baynes may be our MIP, Most Indispensable Player. When he returns we'll be winning.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 pm

The Celtics have played down to weaker opponents all year.

That is a coaching issue as Brad has not been able to get his team to play on an even keel.

Marcus can call out his teammates all that he wants but it has not made a difference all year. I do not see why it will now. The problem is the messaging. It is not about putting out the energy and toughness. I bet those reading this may see a tough Marcus with a tough message, a scrappy Marcus. No one on this team can play that way except for Marcus. That is what makes him a special player.

It is the lack of discipline that is missing. Like Troe getting the rebound, dribbling straight down the court, circling around to the perimeter and taking a 3 pointer before his teammates cross halfcourt. Or not putting a body on a guy name Laurie because you are a spectator. The reason why Pop is a great coach and Stevens is far from being a great coach is because Pop will bench you in a NY minute if you are not doing you job. Brad would say something like come on guys if you want to win this game you might want to put a body on your man.

Pop be like, sit your ass down.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 pm

100% spot on analysis Dboss
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm

dboss,

I get your point, but maybe a little unfair to compare Stevens abilities at this point to Pop?

Pop is without a doubt one of the greatest NBA coaches ever, while Stevens is still a relative newbie.

Don't get me wrong, I can see potential end of the line scenarios coming up for Stevens, and Ainge too for that matter. Not that I'm expecting either yet, but it happens all the time. That's why the expression that it's easier to fire the coach than the whole team is so popular. Still, Stevens, as a first-time NBA coach, has done a lot with a rebuild to this point.

The plight of management at this time may be a completely different, and thought provoking, topic, too.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:37 pm

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

I get your point, but maybe a little unfair to compare Stevens abilities at this point to Pop?

Pop is without a doubt one of the greatest NBA coaches ever, while Stevens is still a relative newbie.

Don't get me wrong, I can see potential end of the line scenarios coming up for Stevens, and Ainge too for that matter. Not that I'm expecting either yet, but it happens all the time. That's why the expression that it's easier to fire the coach than the whole team is so popular. Still, Stevens, as a first-time NBA coach, has done a lot with a rebuild to this point.

The plight of management at this time may be a completely different, and thought provoking, topic, too.

Regards

NYCelt

You are probably right that it is not fair to compare the two.

I am in no way supporting an opinion that Stevens needs to go. He has proven that he can do more with less. he has not proven that he can do more with more. He has a lot of strong personalities on this team. The biggest problem is that if playing the right way yields the reward of more playing time but it does not actually happen that way, players may become indifferent. Selfish play reflects indifference.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics have played down to weaker opponents all year.

That is a coaching issue as Brad has not been able to get his team to play on an even keel.

Marcus can call out his teammates all that he wants but it has not made a difference all year.  I do not see why it will now.  The problem is the messaging.  It is not about putting out the energy and toughness.  I bet those reading this may see a tough Marcus with a tough message, a scrappy Marcus.  No one on this team can play that way except for Marcus.  That is what makes him a special player.

It is the lack of discipline that is missing.  Like Troe getting the rebound, dribbling straight down the court, circling around to the perimeter and taking a 3 pointer before his teammates cross halfcourt.  Or not putting a body on a guy name Laurie because you are a spectator.  The reason why Pop is a great coach and Stevens is far from being a great coach is because Pop will bench you in a NY minute if you are not doing you job.  Brad would say something like come on guys if you want to win this game you might want to put a body on your man.

Pop has built up his bonafides over decades of winning and taking not taking shit during the process.  That worked with the last generation, but seeing as how things played out with Leonard last season - not so sure it works any longer, even with Pop.

Stevens is a different personality and likely better suited to work with the millenials of the modern NBA.  As much as I like it myself, not sure the scream in your face  act works any longer.  Doc aside, pretty much ever demonstrative, confrontational coach is gone from the NBA.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm

dboss, Brad has shown he can do more with less, and this year that he can do less with more. I still like him at the helm, but his lineups puzzle me, to be kind. Glad NYCelt added DA to the conversation, because he created this roster with too many forwards, not enough centers, and KI, an incredible talent who seems to make everyone around him play a little worse. I have given up lobbying for Williams to play more. Just curious whether he's injured or relegated to Maine. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Kleen

I thought about the screaming personality as well.  Brad is certainly not that guy and I'm glad about that.  It seems however that there is not enough accountability.  If a guy is out there ball watching and as a result his man gets a wide open 3 then maybe you take him out the game and tell him he's 'ball watching, we need defenders'.  Let him stew on the bench.  It is difficult when you pretty much tell your team to take open 3 point shots.  This team however lacks the discipline to know when an open 3 point shot is the right shot to take.  They do not get to the hole enough.  It is really not good basketball and when they are not making those shots they struggle to score in other ways. When they exhibit a command of the entire process they can beat anybody.

Hawk, this is a wing dominated team.  That position has the most depth.  It has been both a blessing and a curse.  Brad is forced to ration out minutes at the wing and it has backfired.  

Williams will not play this year.  The Celtics have so many issues trying to find the right mix of players that they have not had time to really develop Williams.  I think he would have been better served spending more time in Maine where he would have a chance to play and work on his skills.  The Redclaws play the same style.  I also think that Boston needs to hire a big man coach.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:20 pm

+++3
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm

dboss wrote:Kleen

I thought about the screaming personality as well.  Brad is certainly not that guy and I'm glad about that.  It seems however that there is not enough accountability.  If a guy is out there ball watching and as a result his man gets a wide open 3 then maybe you take him out the game and tell him he's 'ball watching, we need defenders'.  Let him stew on the bench.  It is difficult when you pretty much tell your team to take open 3 point shots.  This team however lacks the discipline to know when an open 3 point shot is the right shot to take.  They do not get to the hole enough.  It is really not good basketball and when they are not making those shots they struggle to score in other ways.  When they exhibit a command of the entire process they can beat anybody.

Most of the things you mention are nothing more the conjecture, since it is well beyond anything you could have true knowledge of.

You have no idea what kind of "accountability" Brad is holding this team to. Maybe the reason you are not seeing Robert Williams or Jaylen Brown getting more minutes is their lack of effort and attention to detail in practice for example. That would mean Brad is sacrificing wins to hold these guys accountable. Who knows?

Maybe Brad treats this team like adults, and allows them to hold each other accountable for their actions or misactions. You have no idea what the dynamics are in the locker room and how much of what is happening is a results of Brad being too permissive.

Brad Stevens is an analytics guy who believes in the inherent value of 3 pointers over 2 pointers. He also knows he has very few post up players, so those two things combined with the copycat nature of the NBA gets us to the place we are with 3 point shots.

Having said that, Brad Stevens is playing the cards he was given. Danny Ainge is the architect of this team - if there are fatal flaws in the design of this team or too many similar sized players with overlapping skillsets - Danny is the blame, not Brad.

I am not giving Stevens a pass - but no one here has any idea what he is saying behind closed doors.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 pm

The NBA radio analysts have very good intel about what goes on behind closed doors, especially Scal, though he is more diplomatic about revealing details. Still everyone thinks Jaylen is getting screwed to the detriment of the team.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics have played down to weaker opponents all year.

Marcus can call out his teammates all that he wants but it has not made a difference all year.  I do not see why it will now.  The problem is the messaging.  It is not about putting out the energy and toughness.  I bet those reading this may see a tough Marcus with a tough message, a scrappy Marcus.  No one on this team can play that way except for Marcus.  That is what makes him a special player.

It is the lack of discipline that is missing.  Like Troe getting the rebound, dribbling straight down the court, circling around to the perimeter and taking a 3 pointer before his teammates cross halfcourt.  Or not putting a body on a guy name Laurie because you are a spectator.  The reason why Pop is a great coach and Stevens is far from being a great coach is because Pop will bench you in a NY minute if you are not doing you job.  Brad would say something like come on guys if you want to win this game you might want to put a body on your man.

Remember that play, TRo plays like a rookie half the time, not like a young vet.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 pm

But you loved Terry last year.  What changed,  TEAM CHEMISTRY!

There maybe several players that do not fit the mix and are affecting the team.

There could be several players fighting to become alpha dog and the so called team captain, but the problem,  I do not see anyone currently on this team that can claim that title.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am

112288 wrote:But you loved Terry last year.  What changed,  TEAM CHEMISTRY!

There could be several players fighting to become alpha dog and the so called team captain, but the problem,  I do not see anyone currently on this team that can claim that title.

Tatum and Brown have the talent for the team alpha dog, Tatum still shows flashes, but overall still too inconsistent, but he could be that player in a few years and Jaylen as we know hasn’t gotten the PT, but is as talented as any young player in the league. We have chemistry issues as too many players are not doing their role as well and defined as last years playoff run, obviously was fun seeing Tatum, Brown and Rozier step up last year. With integration of GH, player most effected in his role reduced by coach is Jaylen. Rozier has turned into a head case, makes terrible play after terrible play....sad Rozier has taken such a step back.

A lot of blame has to go to BS, who still uses bad rotations and matches of players in lineup is not best either in playing together, sure goes to show how much a non scorer hard hat type like Baynes has been missed, even when healthy, he should have gotten more play and Theis too IMHO....still need bigs to win effectively in this era.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am

Theis should be getting some of Morris' minutes.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:09 am

worcester wrote:Theis should be getting some of Morris' minutes.

Agreed frankly Brads line ups have sucked and baffled me all year, talk about putting a player in their best position to help the team and he can’t even get them on the damn floor!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:24 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
112288 wrote:But you loved Terry last year.  What changed,  TEAM CHEMISTRY!

Tatum and Brown have the talent for the team alpha dog, Tatum still shows flashes, but overall still too inconsistent, but he could be that player in a few years and Jaylen as we know hasn’t gotten the PT, but is as talented as any young player in the league. We have chemistry issues as too many players are not doing their role as well and defined as last years playoff run, obviously was fun seeing Tatum, Brown and Rozier step up last year. With integration of GH, player most effected in his role reduced by coach is Jaylen. Rozier has turned into a head case, makes terrible play after terrible play....sad Rozier has taken such a step back.

A lot of blame has to go to BS, who still uses bad rotations and matches of players in lineup is not best either in playing together, sure goes to show how much a non scorer hard hat type like Baynes has been missed, even when healthy, he should have gotten more play and Theis too IMHO....still need bigs to win effectively in this era.

Cowen,

The team has no Alpha Dog in the wings waiting. Part of what makes an Alpha Dog is performance. Both Tatem and Brown are not in an elite class yet.

The last Alpha Dog was Isiah Thomas, he bled Green and performed on the court, and before that KG. You have to walk the walk on the court first before you even start the discussion of Alpha Dog. Irving is no Alpha Dog. Yes he leads on the court, but he does not know psychology and getting into players heads, especially when he makes boneheaded comments about his future next year. He plays cute and vague about next year which is bull shxt. If I am a teammate of his and I hear that crap, i would tell him to pound salt if he tried to be critical of my play.............because he may be gone next year so who cares what he has to say.

Irving should have said, I am here this year and the next 5 years beginning 2019-2020. That would get more players behind him or at least willing to listen because that player may not be here next year if Irving whispers into Danny's ear.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm

I have loved Smart since he joined the Cs, but I am never a fan of "calling out" teammates in public no matter who the player is and/or how correct is his reason to criticize.

There is a much better way of getting the attention of your teammates and that is in the privacy of the locker room or practice setting.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes Wideclyde. That's what whoopee cushions are for.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:Kleen

I thought about the screaming personality as well.  Brad is certainly not that guy and I'm glad about that.  It seems however that there is not enough accountability.  If a guy is out there ball watching and as a result his man gets a wide open 3 then maybe you take him out the game and tell him he's 'ball watching, we need defenders'.  Let him stew on the bench.  It is difficult when you pretty much tell your team to take open 3 point shots.  This team however lacks the discipline to know when an open 3 point shot is the right shot to take.  They do not get to the hole enough.  It is really not good basketball and when they are not making those shots they struggle to score in other ways.  When they exhibit a command of the entire process they can beat anybody.

Most of the things you mention are nothing more the conjecture, since it is well beyond anything you could have true knowledge of.

You have no idea what kind of "accountability" Brad is holding this team to.  Maybe the reason you are not seeing Robert Williams or Jaylen Brown getting more minutes is their lack of effort and attention to detail in practice for example.  That would mean Brad is sacrificing wins to hold these guys accountable.  Who knows?  

Maybe Brad treats this team like adults, and allows them to hold each other accountable for their actions or misactions.  You have no idea what the dynamics are in the locker room and how much of what is happening is a results of Brad being too permissive.

Brad Stevens is an analytics guy who believes in the inherent value of 3 pointers over 2 pointers.  He also knows he has very few post up players, so those two things combined with the copycat nature of the NBA gets us to the place we are with 3 point shots.

Having said that, Brad Stevens is playing the cards he was given.  Danny Ainge is the architect of this team - if there are fatal flaws in the design of this team or too many similar sized players with overlapping skillsets - Danny is the blame, not Brad.

I am not giving Stevens a pass - but no one here has any idea what he is saying behind closed doors.  

Kleen

I did not say I knew what the accountability is on this team.. I said "It seems however that there is not enough accountability."

I can only judge the content of the product that I see on the court game in and game out. I mentioned running more plays to get to the rim and you counter with they do not have a lot of post up players which has zero to do with the point that I was making and have been making all year. The lack of diversity in the offense hurts this team when they are not making their 3 points shots.

I do not believe in self-correction as a substitute for coaching. It is the coaches responsibility to get his team to play a certain way and there has to be consequences that are established when they don't. I have watched too many times when the opponent goes on an extended run and a time out and reset is needed but coach Stevens will opt to let the team play through the bad patch. I have seen too many missed rotations, too many non block outs too many poor shots and too many godamn excuses.

Accountability on any team begins and ends with the coach. He is ultimately accountable for holding his players accountable. That is his job

Brad did not manufacture the cards he was dealt but it is still his responsibility to play his hand and play it well.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 pm

dBoss,

Compare anyone on this team to KG or LeBron as far as leadership on the court or off the bench............end of story..........none fit those 2 leaders!

Conjecture is just a mere way of bypassing the issue without coming up with your own rational for a mediocre team!

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next