My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season

+4
tjmakz
NESportsfan12
k_j_88
kdp59
8 posters

Go down

My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season  Empty My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season

Post by kdp59 Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am

1 )Irving opts out and signs elsewhere-

salary cap number now at $109M with the draft picks (the salary cap is projected at $109M).

2) Celtics agree to trade on draft day with Memphis:

Hayward and the #20 pick goes to Memphis
M. Conley comes to Boston

Memphis selects J. Morant at #2 in the draft.

Hayward has one more year on his deal which requires us sending the draft pick along.

Salary cap number now at about $107M or $2M UNDER the cap.

3) Celtics draft

#14- Tyler Hero or Keldon Johnson
#22- Romeo Langford or Cam Johnson

4) Celtics renounce rights T. Rozier and M. Morris, meaning we cannot sign them this year.

Cap space now at $19M

5) Horford opts out and Celtics resign him to a 3 yr/$60M deal

Cap space now around $28M

6) Celtics Sign the following Free agents

Marc Gasol- 3 yr/$60M , last year a team option or partial guarantee

Patrick Beverly- 3yr/$20M deal

Both signed with the cap space.

Then resign both D. Theis and B. Wannamker as the cap rules allow ( Theis may be able to get up to $5-6M or not) Wannamaker likely another vet minimum deal

Final Cap number would be around $119M and UNDER the tax line next season.

We keep all three of our young guys (Tatum, Brown , Smart) and add three players to compete for the title over the next 2-3 years ( Horford, Gasol, Conley)

Roster

Starters:
M. Gasol
A. Horford
Tatum
Brown
Conley

Rotational players:
Smart
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis

Deep bench:
Rob Williams
Yabusele
Wannamaker
T. Herro- #14
C. Johnson-#22

First take of a non superstar roster ( no Irving,. no Davis, no Durant).

would that team compete in the east next year?

Would Gasol and Conley have enough left teaming with the rest of our roster to drive us towards the finals?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season  Empty Re: My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season

Post by k_j_88 Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Why would the celtics give AH 60 mil? Hes not worth 20m a year at this point.

Kj
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season  Empty Re: My post Lottery, no Irving , no Davis off-season

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed May 15, 2019 12:14 pm

kdp59 wrote:1 )Irving opts out and signs elsewhere-

salary cap number now at $109M with the draft picks  (the salary cap is projected at $109M).

Hayward has one more year on his deal which requires us sending the draft pick along.

3) Celtics draft

4) Celtics renounce rights T. Rozier and M. Morris, meaning we cannot sign them this year.

Cap space now at $19M

Then resign both D. Theis and B. Wannamker as the cap rules allow ( Theis may be able to get up to $5-6M or not) Wannamaker likely another vet minimum deal

Final Cap number would be around $119M  and UNDER the tax line next season.

We keep all three of our young guys (Tatum, Brown , Smart) and add three players to compete for the title over the next 2-3 years ( Horford, Gasol, Conley)

Roster

Starters:
M. Gasol
A. Horford
Tatum
Brown
Conley

Rotational players:
Smart
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis

Deep bench:
Rob Williams
Yabusele
Wannamaker
T. Herro- #14
C.  Johnson-#22

Would Gasol and Conley have enough left teaming with the rest of our roster to drive us   towards the finals?

Interesting proposal. I'll get back to you at the end of Gasol's post season. I worry about building around two old bigs, in Horford and Gasol, and an aging point guard in Conley. But I do think the proposal is interesting.

Apparently Ricky Rubio has expressed interest in playing for Boston. Signing him would be an interesting way to solve this group's sticky-hands syndrome...
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

kdp59 wrote:1 )Irving opts out and signs elsewhere-

salary cap number now at $109M with the draft picks  (the salary cap is projected at $109M).

3) Celtics draft

Cap space now at $19M

Final Cap number would be around $119M  and UNDER the tax line next season.

Roster

Starters:
M. Gasol
A. Horford
Tatum
Brown
Conley

Rotational players:
Smart
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis

Deep bench:
Rob Williams
Yabusele
Wannamaker
T. Herro- #14
C.  Johnson-#22

Would Gasol and Conley have enough left teaming with the rest of our roster to drive us   towards the finals?

Most feel that Gordon Hayward has negative trade value.
So, in order for a team to take on his remaining $67m, Boston would have to include a 1st round pick or other assets.
Boston would not then get Mike Conley along with Memphis having to pay Hayward.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 pm

thanks for the input

My thinking was trade Haywards deal for Conley (with irving moving on)

then Adding Gasol and extending Horford is a 2-3 year deal (along with Conley). Can they play at a high enough level over that time as our young guys continue to develop into the stars.

This was really some thoughts about Memphis having the #2 pick in the draft now and Morant being considered the #2 guy. Memphis was also reportedly willing to move Conley at the trade deadline (like they did Gasol)

Beverly brings more to the table than Rozier, IMO at least currently also. and give us another tough defender.

I'm not married to this, just some early thoughts, kinda outside the Anthony Davis box.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Why would the celtics give AH 60 mil? Hes not worth 20m a year at this point.

Kj

You give him the restructured deal to incentivize him to opt out of his guaranteed money, and free up space for additional moves this season. I'm not sold on the 20 million number, but something in the ballpark seems reasonable given his importance for the team.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

tjmakz

I agree, that's why I send the #20 pick along with Hayward.

if they draft Morant to go with Jackson they need a wing for sure...at least in my thinking.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

kdp59 wrote:thanks for the input

then Adding Gasol and extending Horford is a 2-3 year deal (along with Conley). Can they play at a high enough level over that time as our young guys continue to develop into the stars.

This was really some thoughts about Memphis having the #2 pick in the draft now and Morant being considered the #2 guy. Memphis was also reportedly willing to move Conley at the trade deadline (like they did Gasol)

Beverly brings more to the table than Rozier, IMO at least currently also. and give us another tough defender.

I'm not married to this, just some early thoughts, kinda outside the Anthony Davis box.

In addition to the worry that the trade for Hayward might be unappealing for teams (even rebuilding ones), I think he showed enough flashes of his former self at the end of last season to warrant giving him another run. 2 years of his contract out the window, but we might still see some value from him yet.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 15, 2019 12:52 pm

kdp59 wrote:tjmakz

I agree, that's why I send the #20 pick along with Hayward.

if they draft Morant to go with Jackson they need a wing for sure...at least in my thinking.

Boston would probably have to send one of their first round picks in order for a team to pay Hayward.
Why would Memphis then give a significant asset in Conley?
The #20 pick this year is not that attractive from what I hear.
Last night one of the commentators said in other years 1st round talent leaks into the 2nd round.
In this draft he said that 2nd round talent will be in the 1st round.
I could see Conley being traded to Phoenix for a package centered around the #6 pick and Tyler Johnson.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm

NESportsfan12 wrote:

In addition to the worry that the trade for Hayward might be unappealing for teams (even rebuilding ones), I think he showed enough flashes of his former self at the end of last season to warrant giving him another run. 2 years of his contract out the window, but we might still see some value from him yet.

true....and while we'd still have an apparent glut of wings on the team, Hayward can as as the de facto PG and run the offense.

In that case Danny could still free up the cap space (since the Conley for Hayward deal is a cap wash) and sing a big man like Gasol, D. Jordan or maybe even Vucavic?

I'm not sure Rubio would play for $8M here (he made $14M this year) and frankly I like Beverly better anyway.

Danny would also likely have to draft a younger PG instead of a SF type (like in my original post).

so some on the fly changes:

Vucevic
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart

as starters:

Hayward
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis

as rotational players

Williams
Yabusele
Wannamker
T. Hero- #14
Ty Jerome- #22 pick
#20 pick a draft and stash euro player perhaps

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm

kdp59 wrote:
NESportsfan12 wrote:

true....and while we'd still have an apparent glut of wings on the team,  Hayward can as as the de facto PG and run the offense.

In that case Danny could still free up the cap space (since the Conley for Hayward deal is a cap wash) and sing a big man like Gasol, D. Jordan or maybe even Vucavic?

I'm not sure Rubio would play for $8M here (he made $14M this year) and frankly I like Beverly better anyway.

Danny would also likely have to draft a younger PG instead of a SF type (like in my original post).

so some on the fly changes:

Vucevic
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Smart

as starters:

Hayward
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis

as rotational players

Williams
Yabusele
Wannamker
T. Hero- #14
Ty Jerome- #22 pick
#20 pick a draft and stash euro player perhaps

This seems more interesting to me. One thing I like about it is that it's premised on using Hayward as a facilitator. It's pretty clear that he'd be a productive point-forward if explicitly given that role. Also, I'm a big Vucevic fan. Using him in the P&R with our wings seems dangerous.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Beverley and Smart in the backcourt would be so brutal on D. He’s been a good shooter. That could be fun.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm

KDP59

The roster suggestion you put forth sucks

LAC love Beverly so he will not be signing with Boston. Forget About it. He ain't leaving Callie for $6.6 Million per year.

Hayward has as much trade value as you or I do. He has two years left not one. the last year is a player option for $34,000,000. I bet he opts in on that one.

We can play GM all day long and come up with a batting lineup all day long.

The Celtics do not make the playoffs with that broke ass roster

Where is the stud on this roster?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 pm

thanks dboss

its just some train of thought- throw it to the wall stuff.

as you can see its even changed on the fly though some input here.

my whole point WAS to have a non super star roster. What if Irving leaves and Davis doesn't come here and Durant joins Irving?

I think there is a good chance we have a non super star team next season.

I agree with some of the others here that Vucevic and Beverly may be a better combo with Hayward likely staying.

of course the chance of THIS happening is about as likely as the Celtics getting the #2 pick in last nights lotto show....so there is that.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

kdp59 wrote:thanks dboss

its just some train of thought- throw it to the wall stuff.

as you can see its even changed on the fly though some input here.

my whole point WAS to have a non super star roster. What if Irving leaves and Davis doesn't come here and Durant joins Irving?

I think there is a good chance we have a non super star team next season.

I agree with some of the others here that Vucevic and Beverly may be a better combo with Hayward likely staying.

of course the chance of THIS happening is about as likely as the Celtics getting the #2 pick in last nights lotto show....so there is that.

Last year we had a non superstar roster that played together, hustled, shared the ball, really played hard....and I loved it. DEFENSE!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 am

[/quote]
Last year we had a non superstar roster that played together, hustled, shared the ball, really played hard....and I loved it. DEFENSE!!!![/quote]

so what do you think?

maybe add D. Jordan at a round $20M over Gasol or Vucevic?

Knicks may try to keep him or not, who knows.

if your primary want is defense and or rebounding adding vets likes Jordan and Beverly would fit that bill. IF the Celtics could find the space to get them of course.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 am

Jazz expected to make another push for Mike Conley

At no. 2, the franchise will have its choice of some talented prospects, namely Murray State point guard Ja Morant, a playmaking savant with rocket-boosters for shoes, or Duke forward R.J. Barrett, a tough shotmaker with the potential to emerge as a versatile defender. Morant, especially, seems like an intriguing fit: He would make for a tremendous long-term pick-and-roll partner with Jackson and could learn the tricks of the trade behind veteran point guard Mike Conley Jr. (That is, unless Memphis trades Conley—multiple league sources said this week that the Jazz are expected to make another push for him after failing to land him prior to the deadline.) However, the Grizzlies stand out as the team that should most strongly consider trading down. Since Memphis will cede a future first-round pick to the Celtics, it has extra incentive to use this pick to acquire another asset. – via The Ringer

hmmmmm.......OK for shits and giggles...........should Danny get that #2 pick and go young with Morant by trading #14 , #20 and the Grizzlies future pick back?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am

k_j_88 wrote:Why would the celtics give AH 60 mil? Hes not worth 20m a year at this point.                              
    Cap management

Kj
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 am

kdp59 wrote:Jazz expected to make another push for Mike Conley

At no. 2, the franchise will have its choice of some talented prospects, namely Murray State point guard Ja Morant, a playmaking savant with rocket-boosters for shoes, or Duke forward R.J. Barrett, a tough shotmaker with the potential to emerge as a versatile defender. Morant, especially, seems like an intriguing fit: He would make for a tremendous long-term pick-and-roll partner with Jackson and could learn the tricks of the trade behind veteran point guard Mike Conley Jr. (That is, unless Memphis trades Conley—multiple league sources said this week that the Jazz are expected to make another push for him after failing to land him prior to the deadline.) However, the Grizzlies stand out as the team that should most strongly consider trading down. Since Memphis will cede a future first-round pick to the Celtics, it has extra incentive to use this pick to acquire another asset. – via The Ringer

hmmmmm.......OK for shits and giggles...........should Danny get that #2 pick and go young with Morant by trading #14 , #20 and the Grizzlies future pick back?

If Grizzlies are willing to make that deal, Cs should probably do it (unless they don’t see much difference between 2 and 14 or don’t like the players in this draft relative to the next 2).

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 17, 2019 10:54 am

since I just updated my draft rankings , my revised no super star off-seaosn would look something like this:

Vucevic- FA
Horford- opts out and signs deal saving cap space
Tatum
Brown
Smart

as starters:

Hayward
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis- resigned

as rotational players

Williams
Wannamker- resigned
Yabusele told to head back to France-Celtics eat his Salary this year

Tyler Hero- #14
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/tyler-herro.html

Brandon Clarke- #20
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/brandon-clarke.html

Mfiondu Kabengele- #22
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/mfiondu-kabengele.html

Questions would be can we get Vucevic to sign here for about $20/year and Beverly at around $7m?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 am

kdp59 wrote:since I just updated my draft rankings , my revised no super star off-seaosn would look something like this:

Vucevic- FA
Horford- opts out and signs deal saving cap space
Tatum
Brown
Smart

as starters:

Hayward
Beverly
Baynes
Semi
Theis- resigned

as rotational players

Williams
Wannamker- resigned
Yabusele told to head back to France-Celtics eat his Salary this year

Tyler Hero- #14
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/tyler-herro.html

Brandon Clarke- #20
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/brandon-clarke.html

Mfiondu Kabengele- #22
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/mfiondu-kabengele.html

Questions would be can we get Vucevic to sign here for about $20/year and Beverly at around $7m?

kdp,

If Horford restructured his contract to $20m/ year and if Boston waived Yabusele and he was picked up by another team (removing his salary from Boston's books this season), Boston would still sit at about $92m in salaries for the 10 players that you listed. If you add in the 3 rookie's contracts which will be $6.5m-$8m, Boston will be over $98m at the minimum.
That would leave $11m, but in reality closer to $9m to sign free agents along with exemptions.
Boston definitely would not be able to afford Vucevic.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 17, 2019 11:54 am

well you ruin a nice dream!!

back to the drawing board I suppose.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down