Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says

Go down

Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says  Empty Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says

NESN By Darren Hartwell July 17, 2019 3:45 PM

In early October 2018, Kyrie Irving stood in front of a TD Garden crowd and said he planned on re-signing with the Boston Celtics the following offseason.

Two months later, he already was plotting a move elsewhere.

That's according to Brooklyn Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie, who told The Athletic's Shams Charania that Irving contacted him in December about the possibility of playing in New York for the Knicks or Nets.
"The first time he reached out was maybe like December, in terms of loosely talking about it, because he was still focused on his season and everything," Dinwiddie said.

Dinwiddie had befriended Irving in September when the two attended a Harvard Business School course together. And when Irving contacted him, the Nets guard got the sense he may be open to leaving Boston.
"You could just tell from the conversation that it was a little bit different," Dinwiddie said. "... Actually, it definitely was December because he made a comment to me, he was like, 'New York might be real fun next year,' because I hadn't signed yet. ... That's when I was first tipped off to the whole thing."

Dinwiddie had yet to sign his contract extension with Brooklyn at the time, but after landing the deal on Dec. 13, he embarked on a campaign to convince Irving and Kevin Durant to come to the Nets instead of joining the Knicks.
The 26-year-old said he spoke to Irving "a ton" about Brooklyn's style of play, a family-oriented organizational mindset under general manager Sean Marks and a top-notch training staff.

"Of course I'm going to be like, 'Bro, it's perfect for you,' " Dinwiddie added. " ' And (head coach) Kenny (Atkinson) gonna let you rock.' "

Irving apparently managed to keep his intentions from the Celtics for a few more months, as president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he didn't get the sense his point guard was leaving until March or April.

But Dinwiddie's revelation is proof that Irving either soured on the C's very quickly or was simply being disingenuous in October.

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says  Empty Re: Kyrie Irving was mulling Celtics exit in December, Spencer Dinwiddie says

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Always thought he was a RAT!

Back to top Go down